strange things you've done with your bionicles that you regret

Alexander123

Well what are some strange things you've done with your bionicles that you regret? For me it would be the time that I in my infinite 10 year old wisdom decided to set up outside stars rahkshi and a half complete Mahri Matoro as archery targets (I was going through an archery phase at the time). One arrow hit stars rahkshi in the chest and failed to penetrate, though to this date there is a huge dent on his chest; the other one hit Matoro in the hip separating the ball joint from the rest of the piece. Luckily my dad told me it was probably best if I stopped shooting my bionicles and he probably saved my collection from further damage. 

• Like 3

Chewing the rubbery pieces
Throwing away the boxes
Keeping the pieces together in one massive box for over a decade, grinding against each other anytime I went building
Handling the sets way too roughly, especially the joint pieces (nearly ALL of my childhood joints are cracked, scratched, pitted, you name it)
Oh, and one thing in particular. Once when I was a kid, I got some of my brother's Toa Mata chest pieces, and I inserted the little black neck sideways, and held it in with two little pins. Well, once the deed was done it was impossible to undo and I wrecked them trying to get the stalks out. Recreation:

image.thumb.png.4b1d756e5b5f964cde8efaaeaf41305a.png

• Like 1

PAINTING MY MISPRINT WHITE RURU.

In 2004 I was... going through a phase of realising that model paint, that I had got for something else, could be equally well applied to Lego pieces to give them new and unique looks. This was all well and good, in its way, when I was just slapping it around randomly on non-essential masks or other spare parts, but... I then had the great idea that this boring (?!) white misprint Ruru, that I didn't fully realise the rarity of at the time, could be painted red to make it Kapura's mask from the 02 Matoran renders.

That wasn't even the worst of it. Most of that red paint chipped off after a few years, leaving the Ruru white and more or less pristine again... except that I couldn't get the flakes of paint out of the narrow indents on either side of the face. So, thinking I knew better than to leave the piece like that and let the last few paint flakes come out in their own time... I made the absolutely horrible decision to PAINT IT BACK WHITE.

With paint that was far too thick and, this time, absolutely would not flake off.

And then there was one less white Ruru in the world that was worth anything at all.

It's not the only piece I ruined that way, in my immaturity; but it was the one I have the most regret for so doing.

Edited by That Matoran with a Vahi
  • Like 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

26 minutes ago, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

In 2004 I was... going through a phase of realising that model paint, that I had got for something else, could be equally well applied to Lego pieces to give them new and unique looks. This was all well and good, in its way, when I was just slapping it around randomly on non-essential masks or other spare parts, but... I then had the great idea that this boring (?!) white misprint Ruru, that I didn't fully realise the rarity of at the time, could be painted red to make it Kapura's mask from the 02 Matoran renders.

This reminds me of the phase I went through trying to dye lego pieces... never did get it to work since Ritz changed their formula or something.

My friend had some McDonalds Tohunga sets... such as Kongu; that he set up as targets in his backyard for his BB gun. I joined him in it, with some regret... but we blasted Kongu to the Red Star with the BB gun. 

Now knowing how much a Tohunga costs on Bricklink... oof. 

• Like 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

• 1 month later...

Late to the party, but there was a thing I did years ago that I do regret doing.

When I was in middle school (or early high school, can't remember which) I was really big on doing art with sunlight and a magnifying glass. (I had an art topic back when I first joined with some samples of my work. That was back on the old forum and I don't remember where the photos are now.) Anyway, I was inspired by the rugged look of some of the character models from the first three Bionicle movies. If you look at them closely, you can see some bits of the armor that aren't flat and smooth, but they're lined with ridges or other odd little markings.

Now, what I did was I'd take pieces off the sets, go outside with them and burn similar markings onto the pieces themselves (including some masks) to make them slightly more screen-accurate.

It was a horrible decision that ruined many of them visually. Fortunately, they all still function just fine, and I was able to replace them and reuse the burnt pieces on MOCs. So, not a total loss, but it did take a while to replace all the damaged parts. I think some of them might still need replacing. I'll have to check Sidorak's shoulders...

• Like 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I once partially-dismantled some of my Bionicle sets into heads/torsos/arms/legs and hid the body parts around the house for a game of hide-and-seek. I ended up forgetting where I hid some of those parts, and as a result my Matau Hordika is still missing his right arm. :( 

On 5/4/2020 at 12:12 AM, AZBlue said:

The worst I've ever done is putting together my Lesovikk and attempting to assemble my Elhek. Those two sets should've stayed sealed :dead:

Bro, the secret is to sacrifice a few Keelerak. It's truly the only way to get good lime parts. Pass it on.

• Like 3

:m: :a: :x:    :n: :u: :i: