Jump to content

The thing about Bionicle fan games


Lenny7092
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, guys. :) Ever since that trailer for that fan game called Bionicle: Quest for Mata Nui came out a few days ago, it’s becoming interesting. I mean, first, there is this game called Bionicle: Masks of Power, which is similar to Bionicle: Quest for Mata Nui, and then that game. Here is what I discovered: 

1. Bionicle: Masks of Power 

2. Bionicle: Quest for Mata Nui 
3. Bionicle: The Legend of Mata Nui (I know it was an existing game mostly made by Lego before it got cancelled, but a guy called The Beaverhouse are working on fixing and finishing the game, starting with its Rebuilt version, which is a modernized version of the game, in August 10, 2019) 

 

It seems to me that Bionicle sure has a strong fan base, and I greatly support that. True, Bionicle was cancelled twice in 2010 and 2016, but there are always many fans who want to make Bionicle look better. These fan games make Bionicle look cooler. They represent something that Bionicle should have gotten from 2001. Speaking of 2001, all of these fan games that I mentioned are set on the 2001 storyline for some reason, but I believe it’s because it’s classic and is what made Bionicle so great and famous. I mean, the Toa Mata are like the Avengers from Marvel and Optimus Prime and the Autobots from Transformers. Let’s talk about this. :)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Sir Kohran said:

 

 

I don't see how fan stuff changes or would change how people view the official line.

Right. Well, it depends, do you think that Bionicle has a good life (19 years)? It’s just that there are fans dedicated for the official line. They love to think that Bionicle could do more stuff than what it did in the past. People like to dream of a game like Quest for Mata Nui because the 2001 storyline has the Toa Mata as the main protagonists, like how “Ratchet and Clank“ and “Jak and Daxter“ are played (tall heroes who explore in vast hub places and do missions). 
 

I mean, you ever imagined a Bionicle video game where you play as the Toa Mata, as you collect twelve masks for each Toa, and fight Rahi menaces, similar time the game series that I mentioned above and SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom? I do, and it seems that many fans dreamt of that, too. Bionicle: The Legend of Mata Nui has the right idea (sort of), but it got cancelled because the makers of it couldn’t finish making it before the due date, while the game was supposed to be a main source of the 2001 storyline. Lego’s Traveller’s Tales games have the right idea (well, Bionicle Heroes does first person shooting, which doesn’t count, and specifically, the second Lego Batman game, DC Super Villains, Marvel games, and Lego City Undercover are perfect examples). 
 

In 2001, all we got is the Mata Nui Online Game, but it only focuses on the Matoran (Takua mostly). Bionicle: The Game is nothing like The Legend of Mata Nui in many ways. Same goes to the handheld and app games. Lego never unleashed Bionicle’s full potential while there are a lot of good that Bionicle could do rather than just direct-to-video movies, books, comics, and story serials. There are a lot of cancelled plans for Bionicle’s future that Bionicle suffered. Plus, Bionicle got cancelled twice. Lego wasted Bionicle’s potential to do better things. It’s very pitiful, and every fan, including me, knows that. Fans made these fan games to express their wish for Bionicle. When I watched YouTube videos about it, at first, I thought The Legend of Mata Nui and Masks of Power look weird just because they’re fan games rather than creations of Lego, who can publish stuff and are better creators than fans, but they turn out to be very cool (The Legend of Mata Nui (even Rebuilt) seems more legit than MoP while MoP has more options that you can use). Quest for Mata Nui shows a perfect example of a game that Bionicle should have had from the beginning (well, I dream of console video games and online games. Fans dream of that, too). The thing is that fans are trying to show that Bionicle isn’t some franchise that people can forget. It’s like the Avengers from Marvel, Ninjago, and Avatar: The Last Airbender. Fans honor Bionicle that way, and Bionicle is one of the most famous and successful Lego themes there is. Bionicle seems to have lots of love from the fans, and I am impressed by that, as I totally agree with that. There is nothing like Bionicle, even though that Hero Factory seemed to have tried going up to that level, and Ninjago is around the same level as Bionicle (perhaps more or less). Many fans, including me, wish Lego would realize Bionicle’s potential, like we do (same with Hero Factory for keeping the constraction line active. True, HF is not as big as Bionicle when it lasted 4 and a half years, but I think it’s still worthy and forgivable). 
 

Perhaps you could try watching the YouTube videos to see what I mean. The fan games are becoming a thing, like the Sonic the Hedgehog memes, like a hand-drawn Sonic and funny-faced Knuckles.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

(a lot of words)

What the devil are you even on about? You've used quite a lot of words to say "fan games show that there are fans."

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Sir Keksalot said:

What the devil are you even on about? You've used quite a lot of words to say "fan games show that there are fans."

Well, what I’m trying to say is that fans still love Bionicle, and they would do anything to honor it. The fan games show that Bionicle is still famous and memorable. I said a lot of words just to try to prove my point.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

Well, what I’m trying to say is that fans still love Bionicle, and they would do anything to honor it. The fan games show that Bionicle is still famous and memorable. I said a lot of words just to try to prove my point.

That this game exists proves that there is a team of dedicated fans capable of making this game. It proves nothing about its place in pop culture at large, its popularity, or the actual merits of its original run.

Now, the press it's gotten is worth talking about. There have been many articles about it from various new outlets, and the amount of attention it's gotten signifies that enough people remember it for a project of this scale to get a fair amount of news traffic. Will the press coverage continue? That remains to be seen.

  • Upvote 1

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think his point that all of the fan games are set in 2001 is significant. Why 2001? 

Why not 2003? I would like to play as Takanuva playing kolhii against Makuta. What about a Maze of Shadows game fighting Rahi and Karzanhi?

Or 2008? I mean, flying stuff is cool. What about a game of Takanuva's journey with multiple levels, each being a different alternate universe?

Or even 2010? What about playing Mata Nui's journey through the Great Maze, with getting to play the prototype robot at the end? That would be so cool. 

But aside from MenoLG (Metru Nui Online Game) all of the fangames are set on Mata Nui island. 

you can call me boomie :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 21Boomerangs said:

I think his point that all of the fan games are set in 2001 is significant. Why 2001? 

Why not 2003? I would like to play as Takanuva playing kolhii against Makuta. What about a Maze of Shadows game fighting Rahi and Karzanhi?

Or 2008? I mean, flying stuff is cool. What about a game of Takanuva's journey with multiple levels, each being a different alternate universe?

Or even 2010? What about playing Mata Nui's journey through the Great Maze, with getting to play the prototype robot at the end? That would be so cool. 

But aside from MenoLG (Metru Nui Online Game) all of the fangames are set on Mata Nui island. 

You know, you got a point. Why we haven’t noticed any fan games that are set in other storylines besides 2001? There could be cool new looks on the adventures. The fan games that caught our attentions (the one sets in 2001) could have sequels. 
 

Well, I think I know why these fan games are set in 2001. It’s because it’s a classic storyline, and it’s where all things began. I mean, we have the Toa Mata, then there are the Turaga, who were once the Toa Metru, and the Matoran who live in Mata Nui, and and some of these Matoran will become the Toa Inika/Toa Mahri. It’s basically going back to the beginning and then possibly go further to relive moments. Fans like to do nostalgia. It’s like the Sonic the Hedgehog movie in this year being based on the first Sonic game in 1991, and there will be sequels that will have some elements from games that came after the first game.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

You know, you got a point. Why we haven’t noticed any fan games that are set in other storylines besides 2001? There could be cool new looks on the adventures. The fan games that caught our attentions (the one sets in 2001) could have sequels. 
 

Well, I think I know why these fan games are set in 2001. It’s because it’s a classic storyline, and it’s where all things began. I mean, we have the Toa Mata, then there are the Turaga, who were once the Toa Metru, and the Matoran who live in Mata Nui, and and some of these Matoran will become the Toa Inika/Toa Mahri. It’s basically going back to the beginning and then possibly go further to relive moments. Fans like to do nostalgia. It’s like the Sonic the Hedgehog movie in this year being based on the first Sonic game in 1991, and there will be sequels that will have some elements from games that came after the first game.

No idea what the scrungus you're talking about when you say "classic," but people are mostly nostalgic for '01 because that was kind of a golden age for the line. It was when it was at its most mysterious, most engaging, most interesting, and for most of us, it's where our nostalgia for it begins. That year is what most people think of when they think "Bionicle."

Also consider that it's just easier to make a game like that from a development perspective. Instead of having wacky water/flying physics or something like Skakdi, which would probably be a pain to animate, or a Kolhii event that would be rather hard to code, you have a soulsborne--something that you can already learn how to make from existing examples.

Really, I'd prefer to see a fan game that does something entirely new, re-imagining Bionicle and improving upon what we already have. These fan games may be impressive, and at least one has gotten a lot of attention, but they do nothing to move Bionicle forward from any perpsective except presentation. And that presentation is h*cking good (sorry for cussing please don't take away my exbawkx), and I'm excited for it; but we, as a community, can only milk G1 so much.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Sir Keksalot said:

Really, I'd prefer to see a fan game that does something entirely new, re-imagining Bionicle and improving upon what we already have. These fan games may be impressive, and at least one has gotten a lot of attention, but they do nothing to move Bionicle forward from any perpsective except presentation. And that presentation is h*cking good (sorry for cussing please don't take away my exbawkx), and I'm excited for it; but we, as a community, can only milk G1 so much.

True, I wouldn't mind seeing a Bohrok Survival game, with different modes where you have to survive against waves and waves of Bohrok breeds, and another where you have to race against a clock (maybe a few hours or so, that pauses when you log off) to collect the krana and take the fight to the Bahrag before the island is completely destroyed (with a constantly updating map that shows how much of the terrain has been decimated). :D

Either that, or just a simple Metru Nui game, where you get to explore the city in it's prime, that'd be fun too! :P 

  • Like 1

 

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Iron_Man5 said:

True, I wouldn't mind seeing a Bohrok Survival game, with different modes where you have to survive against waves and waves of Bohrok breeds, and another where you have to race against a clock (maybe a few hours or so, that pauses when you log off) to collect the krana and take the fight to the Bahrag before the island is completely destroyed (with a constantly updating map that shows how much of the terrain has been decimated). :D

Either that, or just a simple Metru Nui game, where you get to explore the city in it's prime, that'd be fun too! :P 

I actually think Metru Nui would be more fun to explore. More people walking around, more stuff to see and interact with, more bizarre landscapes. Who knows, maybe someone'll do that next.

  • Upvote 1

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Sir Keksalot said:

Really, I'd prefer to see a fan game that does something entirely new, re-imagining Bionicle and improving upon what we already have. These fan games may be impressive, and at least one has gotten a lot of attention, but they do nothing to move Bionicle forward from any perpsective except presentation.

I agree, but that would require an entirely new story. Some fan would have to write a fanfic and give it to a game developer. 

13 hours ago, Sir Keksalot said:

or something like Skakdi, which would probably be a pain to animate,

There is a huge amount of official games in 2006. Voya Nui online, Piraka Attack, Matoran Escape, Inika Island Assault. Granted, they were all 2-D, but that doesn't mean that devs don't have examples to draw from. We even have the Bionicle Heroes game in 2006, if you need examples of Skakdi for your 3-D models. Maybe that's why there aren't any 2006 games, because it was done to death officially. 

I agree that 2007 and 2008 would be hard, yeah. But what about 2009? I mean, we have the Glatorian Arena games and stuff, and Bara Magna as a really sick open world. They could do something like Destiny 2. Maybe it's just because everyone hates 2009 and 10. 

I guess MNOG, being an old flash game, is easier to deconstruct than these other games...

  • Like 1

you can call me boomie :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 4/29/2020 at 12:51 AM, 21Boomerangs said:

I agree, but that would require an entirely new story. Some fan would have to write a fanfic and give it to a game developer. 

There is a huge amount of official games in 2006. Voya Nui online, Piraka Attack, Matoran Escape, Inika Island Assault. Granted, they were all 2-D, but that doesn't mean that devs don't have examples to draw from. We even have the Bionicle Heroes game in 2006, if you need examples of Skakdi for your 3-D models. Maybe that's why there aren't any 2006 games, because it was done to death officially. 

I agree that 2007 and 2008 would be hard, yeah. But what about 2009? I mean, we have the Glatorian Arena games and stuff, and Bara Magna as a really sick open world. They could do something like Destiny 2. Maybe it's just because everyone hates 2009 and 10. 

I guess MNOG, being an old flash game, is easier to deconstruct than these other games...

I agree with your ideas. 
 

It would be interesting if there were a Metru Nui Online Game, Mahri Nui Online Game, Karda Nui Online Game, Spherus Magna Online Game/Bara Magna Online Game, and Okoto Online Game, which would do the same as either Mata Nui Online Game 1 or 2, too. It would be enjoyable to explore about these places. :)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be interesting if there were a Metru Nui Online Game, Mahri Nui Online Game, Karda Nui Online Game, Spherus Magna Online Game/Bara Magna Online Game, and Okoto Online Game, which would do the same as either Mata Nui Online Game 1 or 2, too. It would be enjoyable to explore about these places.

I've always thought it was a huge shame there weren't more games like MNOLG for the later years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 6/4/2020 at 5:29 PM, Sir Kohran said:

 

 

I've always thought it was a huge shame there weren't more games like MNOLG for the later years.

Well, it’s basically that fans are so obsessed with the 2001 storyline and the Mata Nui Online Games. I believe that they should focus more on those other things because they have a lot of good parts of Bionicle. Like, you know, the exotic places that you could explore, and there are various kinds of villains besides Makuta.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...