Čert

It's been a while since I visited these parts. Such is growing old, I guess. Anyway, this is my childhood cat, built for the Bio Cup redemption round 1.

imgp0094_adjusted.jpg

I think you can pretty well see the three different phases of the build: the strong, simple shaping around the eyes from the initial table scrap phase, the more serious shaping and gap-filling around the nose and cheeks, and then the "Oh , do I have enough parts?" texture ignorant, gap-riddled forehead.
Had to finally take apart this guy after almost 10 years because I needed the parts.

That said, I am pretty happy with the overall result, probably because I hadn't really expected to be able to finish it. During the whole build I just kept waiting to run into some unworkable roadblock, but it never quite came.

There's a few more photos in this Flickr album, and a complete gallery on Brickshelf (when public).

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

My Brickshelf and my Flickr
Shouldn't we read the instructions?

Do I look like a sissy?

~ Calvin and Hobbes

I don't want to say "this terrifies me" because I'm pretty sure that's not something you want to hear...  but this kinda terrifies me.  It's beautifully complex and I admire the work it must have taken to make it so cohesive, but the uncanny valley is hitting me hard right now.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

3 hours ago, Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva) said:

I don't want to say "this terrifies me" because I'm pretty sure that's not something you want to hear...  but this kinda terrifies me.  It's beautifully complex and I admire the work it must have taken to make it so cohesive, but the uncanny valley is hitting me hard right now.

Haha, no worries. My brother had the exact same reaction when he first saw a picture. I do think it works a little better in real life, the extra depth perception helps... I think. Or I'm just desensitized after staring at it so much. I suspect the eyes are also slightly too round, and obviously the textures are all wrong. Ultimately there's not much I can do about it. Not that it's a perfect MOC, but the silhouette and shape is just about bang on (the nose is a touch low, I think, but that's all) so whatever is wrong is a bit too subtle for me to diagnose.

Do I look like a sissy?

~ Calvin and Hobbes

On 6/12/2020 at 5:55 PM, ~Legoman~ said:

I think you can pretty well see the three different phases of the build: the strong, simple shaping around the eyes from the initial table scrap phase, the more serious shaping and gap-filling around the nose and cheeks, and then the "Oh , do I have enough parts?" texture ignorant, gap-riddled forehead.

Me: "Oh yeah, that forehead is definitely gap riddled..." *nervous chuckle; glances at my own MOCs and cringes* 

Seriously that's pretty incredible. The sculpting is phenomenal-this is in a whole nother league!  

Definitely a loving tribute

Sig..gif.a3346491b24c9bc3827e18c57ef3b7ff.gif.6f7ce54313e70f1931299845e4d29d20.gif

On 6/19/2020 at 4:23 PM, Xboxtravis said:

I'm pretty impressed, its neat to get such organic shaping from Bionicle parts! 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, MoarBotar said:

Me: "Oh yeah, that forehead is definitely gap riddled..." *nervous chuckle; glances at my own MOCs and cringes* 

Seriously that's pretty incredible. The sculpting is phenomenal-this is in a whole nother league!  

Definitely a loving tribute

That's the magic of choosing your photo angle and background color ; )

It's a bit more noticeable when placed on a white background and viewed from other angles, but like most of my builds it's grown on me. I just try to keep things real in my self-assessments.

Do I look like a sissy?

~ Calvin and Hobbes

Oh wow, this is incredible. I can see so many recognisable Bionicle parts on the surface, but I can't imagine how you attached them all together beneath the surface, so that they make such a single, solid overall form; the effect is astounding, though! Really great work ^^

Edited by That Matoran with a Vahi

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

On 6/23/2020 at 3:37 PM, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

Oh wow, this is incredible. I can see so many recognisable Bionicle parts on the surface, but I can't imagine how you attached them all together beneath the surface, so that they make such a single, solid overall form; the effect is astounding, though! Really great work ^^

Lots of connectors and a bit of a mess under there. This picture gives you an idea of what's going on underneath, basically just a dense lattice of axles going every which way, angled with fixed angle connectors when convenient but mostly with lots of pin connections (and a few ball sockets) allowing for the arbitrary angles needed. I didn't really realize what I was getting into at first so there isn't a strong central core that everything would attach to like there probably should be, instead everything just kinda hangs off the nearest axle I could get them connected to. If I had to do it all from scratch, I'd probably try to start with some kind of beam-based frame because all those axles hanging off one another are not really sturdy enough at this scale.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Do I look like a sissy?

~ Calvin and Hobbes