Opinion on knockoffs?

BonkleFanatic

What's your opinion on knockoffs? I'm talking about those nearly perfect duplicates you can find on sites like Wish, AliExpress, DHgate, and TaoBao. What do you think about them? I personally am not that big of a fan of them, but since G2 is so expensive, you pretty much have to buy them if you don't want to turn your wallet into a nuclear wasteland. 

Example below

bionioli.png

I like the knockoffs if they can give new parts or new colors. For instance, the brick soldier knockoffs of Rahaga Bomonga and Rahaga Gaaki include black and blue solid rhotuka that we never got in the actual sets. And those are perfect for Toa Hagah mocs of thos two.

D5gse9uWwAINOVm.png_large.png

D5hm0q-WAAMAGgw.jpg

• Upvote 1

I avoid counterfeit sets due to durability concerns, as well as the chance of specific part colors not matching the name brand sets. I'm usually quite disappointed with the color variation when I try to MOC with a mix of Lego and off-brand parts.  Would also be apprehensive of these because of the risk of never receiving the product from some of these sites.

• Upvote 1

goldy.jpg.2a929e25bde483fa0a84efa39cb7af8d.jpgIMG_7223(2).jpg.62624129031c1e2fd7df50d70b18f765.jpggoldy.jpg.2a929e25bde483fa0a84efa39cb7af8d.jpg

IMG_0692.GIF.3309bb29bcc7460f3b8786a87af44771.png.da7133cb92dbb2189370ddfa6f4d46de.png Member-Made Emote Topic h.jpg.3e4ad884a1ceef85d03b81b5df0c09ef.jpg

Original Mush art thanks to @Bambi

On 8/9/2020 at 2:22 PM, ToaDume said:

I like the knockoffs if they can give new parts or new colors. For instance, the brick soldier knockoffs of Rahaga Bomonga and Rahaga Gaaki include black and blue solid rhotuka that we never got in the actual sets. And those are perfect for Toa Hagah mocs of thos two.

D5gse9uWwAINOVm.png_large.png

D5hm0q-WAAMAGgw.jpg

I think it's funny because his face/mask reminds me of Darth Vader!

• Upvote 1

the only knockoff i have is Sea Star/Doomsday (by Glopo) that you can find on Amazon for, like, $20 or so! i thought this set was cool looking, but after disconnecting joints at least twice (for storage use) and the last time i tried to put the set back together long behold one ov the joints broke! very poor quality! in fact the quality was so bad that parts were rough around some areas and the feel ov the parts just made me want to cry, like... it was just terrible! i will never be able to display the set because ov that broken joint! so that was a waste ov money! lol 

now, i thought about purchasing some ov the CCBS knockoffs that Bionic Kasai reviewed on his United Hapori channel on YouTube! especially the "Ekimu the Warrior" set which looked freaking awesome! problem is, it's on Aliexpress and i don't think i can trust that website (don't ask me to explain cuz' i won't!)! last time i checked that specific product was out ov stock or something like that! so that's a bit ov a shame, but whatever! ha ha! 

my point here is; avoid knockoffs at all costs! especially since the company you're getting the set from may not even send it to you and you'll just get screwed out ov your money! it's not worth having to deal with shoddy knockoff companies that only care about money and don't actually care if you get the set or not! just don't do it! case closed! :) 

• 3 weeks later...

I always wanted those Masker knockoff turaga sets, personally if I ever saw a rare occurance of a knockoff bionicle set I would definitely buy it for the meme value. I bought some hero factory clones called "Police Legend" the bad English texts on the boxes also give it humorous value. I'm not sure why everyone else is so opposed to knockoffs, lol they can be funny

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

There is only one truly good reason for them to exist: for us fans to mock them and have fun doing it! While I have knowingly bought bootleg products before, it was only because there was literally no possible way for me to buy them legitimately. For example, a couple years ago I bought a well-known bootleg CD from a seller on eBay. It was the soundtrack for both of the Ewok TV movies. While an official release does exist, it was only released on LP, which doesn’t have the same versatility of CDs (fight me), and while I would gladly have bought it, I’ve only seen it for sale once, and the asking price was ridiculous. But in general, I don’t believe in giving someone money in exchange for something they are producing without having the right to do so.

I will say, though, it might be fine to own one of these, just as a curiosity or conversation piece. Just buy it secondhand, so that the maker doesn’t get that extra sale.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Those things are shoddy. I bought a weird Rocka set based on breakout. the color scheme was messy, red mask, it had cool military green parts, holes on CCBS parts were square holes. launchers have permanent axles on the shooter. and the ammo belt for the spears. It cracked less than 2 months after owning it. I eventually threw it all out except for the shooter. It was called earth tutelary. it is distinguishable by the sets come prebuilt and the ball joints have terrible compatibility with lego with, either too loose or lego joints are too big and cracks pieces.

Beware the Earth Tutelary name, save your money.