Last Book You Read

Queen of Liars

I think the last time I posted here was April, so:

"World War Z" - Max Brooks: this was a real exciting read and I really liked the thoughful exploration of various aspects of a potential Zombie apocalypse.  I can see how the author can say that the movie doesn't really have much to do with this book, but I still like both a lot.

"The Art of War" - Sun Tzu: I fully admit I learned more about Sun Tzu's work from the History Channel documentary and from the commentary in this editiion than by reading the actual book.  *shrugs*

"Batman: Knightfall" Volumes 1 And 3: hey, no one said comic books don't count?  :P   I like the character of Bane and so really liked the first volume, but for some reason (maybe because I missed the middle part) I didn't enjoy the third as much, which involves Batman taking back the Batman mantel from Azrael.

Re-read "P.I.Guide to American History" - Tom Woods Jr.:  Still a favorite of mine.

"Deadpool: Dead Presidents": Deadpool always makes for a good time, although I think I liked "Deadpool vs. Carnage" more than this volume. 

"Get a Job from the Inside Out" - D. Alan Johnson: I liked this book.

"How to Write Like a Professional" by Barkas: I got this for a dollar at my library's used book store and I'll say that this is a pretty good book for hopeful writers (mainly non-fiction, but some good lessons for others).  I do think that some chapters haven't aged well (like the one discussing how to adapt from a typewriter to a word processor) though.

"How the Irish Saved Civilization" - Thomas Cahill: it's odd because I typically like books that talk about lesser known parts of history, but this was just OK.

"Speak like Churchill, Stand like Lincoln" - James Humes: I generallly agree with the consesus that this is one of the best books for improving elocution and leadership in general.

I got half-way though "1984", but after a month I recently decided to start Timothy Zahn's famous "Thrawn trilogy".

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

The othe day i finished Hyperion. A Sci-fi story of Six Pilgrims traveling the planet Hyperion to find the Time Tombs.  The story is built from Six short stories that each of the pilgrims tale to each other. Surprise surpirse, all of the stories are related to the vary planet that they'll traversing. It was an interesting read. Some of the stories I felt fell flat but that could be me. The shrike was cool. I is some kind of killer robot that might be from the future? It's made up of spikes.

Early today I started a novella called the Talking Man. It's about a car wizard from the end of time. It's gonna be so zangy!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Currently reading the book A Princess of Mars, first book of the John Carter of Mars series. Once I am done reading it I will be reading either Frankenstein or John Tolkien's translation of Beowulf (leaning more towards the latter).

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Does non-fiction count? In that case it would be The Physics of Superheroes by James Kakalios.

If the title is accurate on it's contents, I think I would find that interesting. Could you please give me an example form the book without advanced science jargon that would require Google and a school calculator? I don't want to have to dig up that fossil, but I am curious.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

Well, I finished Dracula and began The Crucible (which I'm already like 2/3 of the way through, it's pretty short). I knew The Crucible would be pretty good anyway, seeing as how it's a classic, but it's really good.

Coming up next will be reading through the rest of H.P. Lovecraft's stories. I've read about half of them already.

Edit: Finished The Crucible. Wow. That honestly might be one of my new favorites. Short, but amazing all the same.

Edited by Kopekemaster
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

• 2 weeks later...

Last book I read? That was The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. I'm currently reading Lincoln, by Gore Vidal, All the Pretty Horses, by Cormac McCarthy, and Spirit Walker, by Michelle Paver.

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

Currently reading Beowulf, translated by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Man O' man do I love legible archaic English, it's so awesome. My favorite terminology so far is 'galiant harness', which from other wordings means mail armor, or shirt as the text calls it.

High King Hrothgar is landing in Denmark to meet Grendel the spawn of Cain in battle, but as the book is called Beowulf, not Hrothgar, I think I know how this is going to end. :lol:

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Man O' man do I love legible archaic English, it's so awesome. My favorite terminology so far is 'galiant harness', which from other wordings means mail armor, or shirt as the text calls it.

Legible archaic English? Puh-leeeeeeze, amateur. Tolkien's Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is where it's at. (jk, I haven't read it and don't think I'm quite up for determining the meanings of such words as "innogh", "habbez", and "comlokest" quite yet.)

Beowulf is great, btw. I can't remember what translation I ended up reading, but I loved the story.

• Upvote 1

Legible archaic English? Puh-leeeeeeze, amateur. Tolkien's Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is where it's at. (jk, I haven't read it and don't think I'm quite up for determining the meanings of such words as "innogh", "habbez", and "comlokest" quite yet.)

Beowulf is great, btw. I can't remember what translation I ended up reading, but I loved the story.

I am going to try and use those words now and see if they fit anywhere.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

It's kinda cool, actually; even though I haven't read it, when just randomly reading a few sentences, I can often read it without many catches because the words usually make phonetical sense in-context. Weird how the brain works.

It's kinda cool, actually; even though I haven't read it, when just randomly reading a few sentences, I can often read it without many catches because the words usually make phonetical sense in-context. Weird how the brain works.

That sounds awesome.  :bigsmile:  It's Old-English so we probably use some variation of those words in our vocabulary and maybe that's why the words click.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Yeah. I even find it sometimes works with non-English languages, usually either Romantic or Germanic languages.. English has borrowed a lot of things as well has roots in a lot of languages, so it's understandable, but still really cool to see it happen.

Yeah. I even find it sometimes works with non-English languages, usually either Romantic or Germanic languages.. English has borrowed a lot of things as well has roots in a lot of languages, so it's understandable, but still really cool to see it happen.

First it's part of the Indo-Iranian language family ('heirs to the sons of the legendary King Aryas, founder of the Aryans:rolleyes: ). And Britannia has had turns of occupation taken by succeeding peoples for a long time before the Normans conquered it. Same thing with it's neighbors that influenced it to various degrees. And as one of the finishing touches, there was the Great Vowel Shift (I think it was called) in the Early-Modern Period.

Me thinks we're off topic, I don't mind though.  :wakeup:

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Last book I read? Hmm. I suppose that would be Sue Grafton's X, the most recent in her Kinsey Millhone novels; it was just as good as most of her previous novels. It was a tad different in that it had two major investigations occurring throughout the novel, as well as a minor investigation. All the novels have at least one side plot in addition to the primary, but this is the first one I can remember having two separate investigations of equal importance. Of course, that helped lessen the sting of her not really coming out victorious in one of them. At any rate, I'm looking forward to the last two books in the series.

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

Does non-fiction count? In that case it would be The Physics of Superheroes by James Kakalios.

If the title is accurate on it's contents, I think I would find that interesting. Could you please give me an example form the book without advanced science jargon that would require Google and a school calculator? I don't want to have to dig up that fossil, but I am curious.

Sorry for the late response. :<

Can't give you a specific example right now, but as the author stressed at the beginning of the book (and as I can confirm) there is no heavy mathematics in there whatsoever, except for some basic algebra. Everything is well-explained too, so it's really an enjoyable read that still teaches some of the basic concepts. :)

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Sorry for the late response. :<

Can't give you a specific example right now, but as the author stressed at the beginning of the book (and as I can confirm) there is no heavy mathematics in there whatsoever, except for some basic algebra. Everything is well-explained too, so it's really an enjoyable read that still teaches some of the basic concepts. :)

Alright, thanks! I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for it!

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Perfidia by James Ellroy. Currently reading The Iron Warriors Omnibus by Graham McNeill (man, he's so good), The Collected Stories of Raymond Carver and Once Were Warriors by Alan Duff (that book's heartbreaking).

Recently I reread a story of well-known literary prose from a beloved and established author.

It details the story about a man dealing with his neighbor and his otherwise peculiar ideas. The man struggles with keeping his compulsions limited and not being drawn in by the chipper and lively attitude of his neighbor and the supposed source of such happiness. With his guard held firm, he sticks with his guns and tells his neighbor, just what he thinks. He knocks down every odd and bizarre idea that his neighbor suggests in an attempt to keep his life from changing. He is a man against change for whatever reason but he has yet to see that change is inevitable and is a way of life. He unwillingly is taken on a journey across the many different aspects that make our world unique by his neighbor, in an attempt to show him that happiness can be found anywhere, regardless of the setting. Where you are, who you're with or whatever activity you are even participating in can be made to be joyous with the right ingredients to the mix. Eventually this curmudgeon of a man gives up and resigns from his position and accepts his neighbor's proposal to try something new, to experience a change in his life. By the end of the story he discovers just how silly his behavior was before and that this change was something that was as positive as it had been made out to be. It was something he could enjoy on any occasion, it was something that brought forth such happiness that he ended up thanking his neighbor for showing him this new light. It changed his life, the light that was possible with change. The light that was possible with Green Eggs and Ham.

If you couldn't tell already by the description I read Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham story. Pretty classic story. I remember reading that someone made a bet with Dr. Seuss  concerning whether he could make a book with 50 or less distinct words. I thought, "Huh, that's interesting, I wonder if that's the case." Nothing happened for several weeks. After recently moving, however, I ended up finding the book in a box and my curiosity rose and I decided to investigate if it was true. Sure enough it was.

10/10 would read again.

~Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

Read another Lovecraft story (The Strange High House in the Mist), finally got around to reading Quidditch through the Ages and Magical Beasts and where to find them. I finished the first and am almost done with the second.

I'm also listening to Lovecraft's essay on Supernatural Horror in Literature. Pretty interesting, but a long listen. Since it fits my writing style to some degree, it's a good thing to listen to.

Finished Ghost Hunter by Michelle Paver and Once Were Warriors. Currently reading Collected Stories of Raymond Carver , Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett and The Talon of Horus by Aaron Dembski-Bowden (a superb science fiction novel which has nothing whatsoever to do with Egyptian mythology).

Since Once Were Warriors is set amongst the Maoris of New Zealand, I ran into a couple of words that were a pleasant surprise (Tohunga, Pohatu), which added a bit of light to such a tragic tale.  

Edited by Erasmus Graves

Still reading Beowulf. If anyone present has read the epic poem (Tolkien's translation), then I have a question: What is happening after Beowulf rips Grendel's arm off with his hands, guy/thing bleeds to death, and the arm is displayed upon the wall as a trophy and people celebrate? There is talk of a collection of golden rings and jewels, and a dragon/serpent is mentioned, and it sounds like a group is riding somewhere. I'm just having some difficulty understanding and picturing the archaic text here.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Still reading Beowulf. If anyone present has read the epic poem (Tolkien's translation), then I have a question: What is happening after Beowulf rips Grendel's arm off with his hands, guy/thing bleeds to death, and the arm is displayed upon the wall as a trophy and people celebrate? There is talk of a collection of golden rings and jewels, and a dragon/serpent is mentioned, and it sounds like a group is riding somewhere. I'm just having some difficulty understanding and picturing the archaic text here.

Well, Sir Iaredios, I'll do my best to explain. The Geats and Hrothgar's men track Grendel back to his lake, thengo back to his hall after the blood-trail ends in the water, because he can go and die in his own pond for all they care. They have a bit of a party, and the saga-tellers start strumming their harps and telling a few tales; such as the legend of Sigmund (which I believe is expounded on in the Volsunga Saga) and how he killed a dragon, got some loot (rings and jewels), and y'know, lived his life. My retelling here is rather crude (I haven't read Beowulf for many months), but I hope it is adequate.

I'm going to finally start the A song of ice and fire saga when I'm done with this neat little mystery novel.

I really want to read that series, but I feel like I should wait until the last books are out since apparently you might be waiting a long time for the story to finish.

No matter, there are a lot of books for me to read before I get started with A Song of Ice and Fire. Going to start Mistborn soon, I think.

IetTsFQ.png

Well, Sir Iaredios, I'll do my best to explain. The Geats and Hrothgar's men track Grendel back to his lake, thengo back to his hall after the blood-trail ends in the water, because he can go and die in his own pond for all they care. They have a bit of a party, and the saga-tellers start strumming their harps and telling a few tales; such as the legend of Sigmund (which I believe is expounded on in the Volsunga Saga) and how he killed a dragon, got some loot (rings and jewels), and y'know, lived his life. My retelling here is rather crude (I haven't read Beowulf for many months), but I hope it is adequate.

It is, thank you. Now I can continue reading Beowulf. I was confused when they got back from Grendel's dwelling and started talking about rings and a dragon and stuff. :lol: I was like, "Whuh? What's happening? There's a dragon? i thought that happened at the end of the tale", hahaha.

I really been wanting to read the second John Carter of Mars book, but I gotta finish this current book first, it's not cool to abandon stuff like that. I've also been wanting to read Conan the Cimmerian; as a spiritually-minded person myself, I hope the stories aren't too pushing about Conan's distrust of the divines and full faith in himself in reflection to the author, might be a distracting annoyance to otherwise epic stuff (sounds kind of nice but also doesn't).

Edited by Sir Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Finished both Fantastic Beasts & etc. as well as Lovecraft's "essay" on Supernatural Horror in Literature. It was more like a list and description of stories that shaped the weird/gothic fiction genre, though. Still worth a read/listen. Onto The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, the longest Lovecraft story I've gotten to yet.

Edited by Kopekemaster

Finished both Fantastic Beasts & etc. as well as Lovecraft's "essay" on Supernatural Horror in Literature. It was more like a list and description of stories that shaped the weird/gothic fiction genre, though. Still worth a read/listen. Onto The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, the longest Lovecraft story I've gotten to yet.

Man, I loved The Dream-quest. Even with Lovecraft's perpetual hatred for proper dialogues, it's an amazing and entertaining story.

What else have you read of Providence guy?

A lot of stuff, lol. I have the complete collection (even including some stories he wrote as a kid, which are entertaining in their own way with their three-sentence-long chapters), and I'm a little over 1/3 through it. It goes chronologically.

Edit: Oh, I'm actually more like halfway through.

Edited by Kopekemaster

Just finished the ultimate graphic novel: Watchmen. Alan Moore once mentioned that it was a pity that the  dark, deconstructivist, gritty, postmodern comic became a genre, but Watchmen is still the original and the best.

Currently reading The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy, and still reading Collected Stories of Raymond Carver (it's over a thousand pages long, probably the biggest anthology of all time). 

Edited by Erasmus Graves

Just finished the ultimate graphic novel: Watchmen. Alan Moore once mentioned that it was a pity that the  dark, deconstructivist, gritty, postmodern comic became a genre, but Watchmen is still the original and the best.

Currently reading The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy, and still reading Collected Stories of Raymond Carver (it's over a thousand pages long, probably the biggest anthology of all time). 

That graphic novel is great and deep. I was peeved that some things were removed from the story in the movie. just so that they can include needless sex scenes. What a waste. Last time I read it I was a freshman in High-school and they had it in the school library (I bet they only had it in there because it has costumed super heroes in it. :lol: ).

Edited by Sir Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Just finished Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Volume 2. Currently reading Mouse Guard: The Black Axe. Great series of graphic novels for kids and adults alike. Also reading Robert Graves's I, Claudius. Great novel, packed with the history of the Roman Empire from Augustus down to our eponymous narrator. The paragraphs are often very long, but Claudius has such a captivating voice that they fly by with ease. 

Edited by Erasmus Graves

Finished Batman: Hush, Batman: The Killing Joke  (graphic novels) and I, Claudius (prose novel) 

I thought Hush and the Killing Joke could be better, and though they were both excellent, Hush was somewhat underwhelming for some reason, probably because I was all hyped up for it. However, the non-linear narrative with all the flashbacks worked superbly, and Hush is one of the most intriguing villains in the Batman mythos. It's excellent modern graphic novel storytelling, but despite its superb art, great story and muted colour scheme, in my opinion, it's not as good as the Knightfall saga (which I hold to be the epitome of Batman comics, despite its bright, typical-of-the-times-colouring). 

The Killing Joke is a first-class comic, probably the Joker's best story. However, I can understand why Alan Moore regards it as one of his lesser works, despite the psychological complexity and exquisite art (Bolland's re-colouring is a real boon to it). The answer is simple. Moore has done far better works, which is really high praise considering how good The Killing Joke is. I was surprised how modern the art is, considering this was the '80s (even Watchmen 's art isn't as realistic as this). Nonetheless, it's a classic. 

Moving onto finishing off The Book Thief next, and maybe Juvenal's Satires (which is a verse work)

Edited by Erasmus Graves
  • Upvote 1