For Zekrom/Reshiram I'd say it's definitely worth it if you like their shinies, considering they've never been available before and their shinies are neat (and I got mine in under a day.)

For others, it's mostly just a matter of how much time you're willing to spend doing the same thing over and over again for the reward of a shiny Pokemon.

That's... actually a good point, now that you mention it.

We haven't gone through Hoenn since the split, and we're too used to the EXP Share now helping with grinding our teams, that we think the EXP share is the reason it's 'easy' now... But actually, it might be the more logical move usage stuff. ._.

To be honest, I've not used the Exp Share in X and Y at all, or in ORAS so far. It divides so that each party member gets a fraction equal to the total experience divided by your party size, I thought, so I was under the impression HM slaves would siphon Exp away from your main party.

~B~

Edited by Ballom

We haven't gone through Hoenn since the split, and we're too used to the EXP Share now helping with grinding our teams, that we think the EXP share is the reason it's 'easy' now... But actually, it might be the more logical move usage stuff. ._.

To be honest, I've not used the Exp Share in X and Y at all, or in ORAS so far. It divides so that each party member gets a fraction equal to the total experience divided by your party size, I thought, so I was under the impression HM slaves would siphon Exp away from your main party.

~B~

Nope; the new EXP share gives 100% to the main one(s) fighting, and then 50% to EACH of the other members.

Get 1000 EXP? First Pokemon gets 1000, second gets 500, third gets 500, fourth gets 500, fifth gets 500, sixth gets 500.

~B~

Nope; the new EXP share gives 100% to the main one(s) fighting, and then 50% to EACH of the other members.

Get 1000 EXP? First Pokemon gets 1000, second gets 500, third gets 500, fourth gets 500, fifth gets 500, sixth gets 500.

Wow. I really have been gimping myself by not using that. And I guess you get your HM slaves leveling up as well, so that they can take more than one hit when you need to fodder them to heal/revive up.

Still, X and Y were easy enough without using it. I think with using it the game would become an utter joke. I'll stick to not using it.

~B~

Edited by Ballom

Finally caught Cresellia. Now I can start wonder trading all the Alpha Sapphire Legendaries. 

Also got enough soot for all the flutes and the chair and table. Though I forgot just how big the elegant table was. 

Now I'm going around secret bases earning money to buy the items the kindler sells at the lilycove museum.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

I'm bummed about Mega Salamence being put in Ubers.  I bred and raised a Bagon specifically to be used as a MegaMence, only to be let down.  :/

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

I'm bummed about Mega Salamence being put in Ubers.  I bred and raised a Bagon specifically to be used as a MegaMence, only to be let down.  :/

Smogon's apparently tossing every Mega into Ubers so they can pretend the new generation isn't mixing up their precious, rigid metagame. Heck, Mega Rayquaza is so ridiculous Smogon was finally forced to make a tier where you can do anything you want instead of adhering to their precious rules.

My advice is don't mind the Smogon tiers. They're more like guidelines than actual rules, put there by the same people who tried to ban the move U-turn from the metagame.

Smogon's apparently tossing every Mega into Ubers so they can pretend the new generation isn't mixing up their precious, rigid metagame. Heck, Mega Rayquaza is so ridiculous Smogon was finally forced to make a tier where you can do anything you want instead of adhering to their precious rules.

My advice is don't mind the Smogon tiers. They're more like guidelines than actual rules, put there by the same people who tried to ban the move U-turn from the metagame.

Smogon generally makes good decisions, I'd say. Mega Ray is obscenely overpowered, even beating Gen 1 Mewtwo levels of strength, so I think putting it above Ubers makes sense. Also, the metagame seems to keep getting mixed up with every new game, it's just that the most OP stuff is usually banned. Doesn't seem too bad to me. Also given Mence being banned in the past, and how good Mega Mence is, I don't know why people didn't see this coming.

Granted, trying to ban moves just because they're good and used a lot is extremely stupid, but I haven't really seen ideas like that becoming actual rules, so saner heads seem to prevail for the most part.

~B~

Well, I'd definitely say Smogon has things it does right. I still rely on their judgement when it comes to brushing up on competitive strategies. I just think the tier system is unnecessarily restrictive, and that when you're banning this amount of non-legendary Pokemon to Ubers, it speaks to a resistance to change in the system, if not on a strict Pokemon-by-Pokemon level, then at least as far as disliking Megas as opposed to normal Pokemon.

Actually I don't think every Mega is being tossed into Ubers.... I'm checking their pages for the Pokemon now and I can name Mega Gallade (BL2), Mega Diancie (BL), Mega Pidgeot (RU), Mega Audino (NU), Mega Sceptile (RU), Mega Swampert (UU), Mega Aerodactyl, and you know what, I think I've done enough Google searches in one sitting for now. xP Point is, they're at least level headed enough to realize that some Mega Evolutions aren't really all that great or OP, and in some cases, are worse than their base forms. 

Now, I'm not a Smogonite or competitive battler at all, and Smogon is by no means the definitive word on competitive battling. Still, that response seemed somewhat bitter and not actually representative of the actual situation, so I wanted to clear things up. '^^

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Well, I'd definitely say Smogon has things it does right. I still rely on their judgement when it comes to brushing up on competitive strategies. I just think the tier system is unnecessarily restrictive, and that when you're banning this amount of non-legendary Pokemon to Ubers, it speaks to a resistance to change in the system, if not on a strict Pokemon-by-Pokemon level, then at least as far as disliking Megas as opposed to normal Pokemon.

The only Megas in Ubers right now for non-Legendary Pokemon are Mawile, Kangaskhan, Gengar, Salamence, Lucario, and Blaziken. Six total (nine with Mewtwo and Ray) out of about forty Megas, and one of that six is a Pokemom already in Ubers prior. That doesn't seem like too many.

~B~

Actually I don't think every Mega is being tossed into Ubers.... I'm checking their pages for the Pokemon now and I can name Mega Gallade (BL2), Mega Diancie (BL), Mega Pidgeot (RU), Mega Audino (NU), Mega Sceptile (RU), Mega Swampert (UU), Mega Aerodactyl, and you know what, I think I've done enough Google searches in one sitting for now. xP Point is, they're at least level headed enough to realize that some Mega Evolutions aren't really all that great or OP, and in some cases, are worse than their base forms. 

Now, I'm not a Smogonite or competitive battler at all, and Smogon is by no means the definitive word on competitive battling. Still, that response seemed somewhat bitter and not actually representative of the actual situation, so I wanted to clear things up. '^^

Or3mFBw.png

The only Megas in Ubers right now for non-Legendary Pokemon are Mawile, Kangaskhan, Gengar, Salamence, Lucario, and Blaziken. Six total (nine with Mewtwo and Ray) out of about forty Megas, and one of that six is a Pokemom already in Ubers prior. That doesn't seem like too many.

~B~

idk it still seems a little reactionary and strict. I know I've made my way around Mega Mawile before. I think the focus on eliminating things they deem "uncompetitive" is rather stifling to the development of the metagame as a whole.

idk, as I said, I don't hate Smogon. I just think more people need to take their tiers as what they are: guidelines.

Well, it's not to say getting around the ones that are banned is insurmountable. But most of them like Mawile would require a team to carry a dedicated counter to ensure they aren't swept, and even then an appropriate coverage move could get past your counter anyway. If every team needs to be altered to be able to properly counter Gengar, or Luke, or Mawile, or Mega Mom so that are you aren't destroyed the next time one of them appears, then doesn't that likewise stifle the development of the metagame?

Personally, I think that "I can't use this overpowered thing" is a lot better than "I have to waste a team slot to counter this overpowered thing."

~B~

Edited by Ballom

Isn't making a team to counter threats what it's all about, though? How far would a team get without a counter to Rotom-W, or Blissey, or Gliscor?

But those are all walls, and as such don't really make a good comparison because a good boosting sweeper can stop all of them, as could a well-timed critical hit, and things like Gliscor are halted by a single move change (HP Ice) instead of rearranging your entire team as may be needed to stop some Ubers. An extremely good offensive Poke is dangerous in a way a wall could never be. But yes, it's all by degree. The best OU sweepers must always be considered when making a team, it's just that if something becomes overcentralizing it may be considered unhealthy for the metagame and banned. But yeah, a fine line, and it definitely is very debatable how often they fall on the right side of it.

Also it's Chansey instead of Blissey post gen 5. :P

~B~

Is Chansey really the better choice these days with Knock Off's buff? I mean, I guess that would hurt any wall, but since Chansey depends on its held item to continue to wall, it seems, well.... chancy.

Knock off should destroy Chansey and Blissey alike, and most things that are given it are physical attackers you wouldn't want to hang around anyway, so I think Chansey's additional bulk makes it preferable, probably. I'm mainly going by Chansey being OU and Blissey UU though.

~B~

Or3mFBw.png

don't be cheeky. he's responding to the implied tone of your words rather than the words themselves.

Mega Gallade (BL2), 

this is so surprising i thought he'd be higher

Isn't making a team to counter threats what it's all about, though? How far would a team get without a counter to Rotom-W, or Blissey, or Gliscor?

you don't understand the metagame. gliscor and blissey are bottom tier threats, and rotom-w is only a good pokemon because he checks top tier threats, not because he is one himself. that's why rotom and landorus get so much usage, because they're versatile pokemon that are tailored to the metagame, not because they're dominant beasts like genesec that the game revolves around.

Is Chansey really the better choice these days with Knock Off's buff? I mean, I guess that would hurt any wall, but since Chansey depends on its held item to continue to wall, it seems, well.... chancy.

things that carry knock off are easily identifiable and a good player should be able to play around them. i'm not saying knock off isn't a threat to chansey more than it is to blissey, it is, but chansey is still better in spite of it. also that pun was terrible.

i knew mega mence was gonna be banned when they announced it'd have aerialite. the calcs with just regular salamence + an aerialite boost were crazy. if it's any consolation, mega mence is still really really good in ubers.

I just think more people need to take their tiers as what they are: guidelines.

okay i want to preface this by saying i'm not aiming this at you personally but there are tons of people like you that completely miss the point of smogon and it disgusts me. no offense.

smogon tiers are their own metagame and you don't need to play them if you don't want. BUT they are more than just a guideline, like suggestions. pokemon is a game that is full of a lot of bullshoes, like sleep moves, evasion moves, broken mechanics and unbalanced pokemon. it wasn't designed to be competitive, it was designed to be a children's game where you catch animals and teach them attacks. that game, though, had tons of untapped potential to be a fun, competitive, skill heavy game once all the bull was removed. smogon tiers aren't guidelines on how to win, they're more like the theory of evolution. there's no undeniable proof that the smogon metagame is what the game could have been, but there is no way of playing the game (or to complete the metaphor, explain where animals come from) that is more compelling.

god why did i care enough to type that out i need a job

Edited by Archer Vonn

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

If in Y, I definitely second the Chateau. For sure.

A lot swear by the cafes in Lumiose, but I definitely think that was too slow and not as interesting. Personal opinion though.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I use the Lvl. 3 Prize Money O-Power, Amulet Coin, and Restaurant Le Wow. After selling the Balm Mushrooms you get, you easily make about $300,000 per go.

Also, after much resetting and hair-tearing, I finally got an awesome Mewtwo X:

Mewtwo - #150 (Jolly) : 31 / 31 / 4 / 22 / 31 / 31

Not very good Defense, but Mewtwo doesn't really care about it. Besides, he can just use Bulk Up to compensate.

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X): 4098 - 4028 - 0743

(Please tell me if you added me so I can add you back!)

My Brickshelf

I can feel the pressure getting steeper with every life lost.
You hope that I won't see the light of day in time to come.

tessewact.png
With no conviction founded just, judgement contorted based on lust,
Give me strength.

Any good way to make fast money In ORAS? Going around collecting flags has me using up quite a few repels. That and all the money I spent on Pokeballs to catch the legendaries left me pretty low.

There's apparently a Gentleman outside Lilycove City that gives like 30,000 Pokeyen every time you win, dunno if before the Amulet Coin or not, though. Either way, a good place to grind against. xP

With Prize Money Power Max and an Amulet Coin. I got 60,000 from the Gentleman near Lilycove city. Thats pretty good all things considered. Might want to check the Rich Boys and Ladies around Hoenn as well since they give a lot of money.

I spent a long time breeding a Manectric with HP Ice, but still I prefer Eelektross as my electric pokemon.  It seems like half the people I encounter on Battle Spot aren't prepared for it, and some act like they aren't sure what it even is.

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

Random thoughts I had while planning out the restructuring that's going to need to happen to my Living Dex thanks to Cosplay Pikachu...

I assume you can have more than one in a game, yes? Tracking them down is another problem, but just want to make sure I'm making the necessary number of spaces.

And are the DNA Splicers still in ORAS? And does it still stupidly limit you to just having one of White Kyurem or Black Kyurem and not both?

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Random thoughts I had while planning out the restructuring that's going to need to happen to my Living Dex thanks to Cosplay Pikachu...

I assume you can have more than one in a game, yes? Tracking them down is another problem, but just want to make sure I'm making the necessary number of spaces.

And are the DNA Splicers still in ORAS? And does it still stupidly limit you to just having one of White Kyurem or Black Kyurem and not both?

~|ET|~

DNA Splicers are back, and found by dowsing near where you find Kyurem IIRC.

~B~

You can't bank Cosplay Pikachu, so I'm nlt sure how tradi g works, if it does.

And yes, it exists, probably to prevent you from basically overloading everything with Pokemon data, because theoretically if you reset enough times, you could fill a PC with double the pokemon data it should have, because Kyurem and Zekrom count for two(since it has to create the Pokemon after you use the splicers again). That, or it stores the Reshiram/Zekrom data in the splicers itself.

SRing for HP Ice on Thundurus is suffering ;-; esp with its low catch rate

Get a master ball. Now. It's gonna take FOREVER if you don't... 

But what if he wants to soft reset for more than one thing?

Get more master balls, or just decide what he wants to use one on if he has one, or just continue as he is, I don't know, I'm probably not helpful sorry  :P