G2 Makuta combiner model

Rooster Nui

I've been thinking of building the second generation version of Makuta at some point in the future. What are your opinions on the model? Whether you have built it or not, I would like some feedback. For those that have built it, is it worth the time and effort? How sturdy is it? Which 3D printed version of the Mask of Ultimate Power is of highest quality and best suited for the model?

Also, are there any instructions out there that are step-by-step, similar to official ones by LEGO themselves?

Any information and discussion regarding this model would be much appreciated.

Built it a few weeks ago, I didn't do it with a 3D MoUP, instead using a stock Mask of Control as a stand in. Building it was a bit tricky, I bounced between several photo sources and videos to try and get different angles. I think Eljay's stuff on the TTV channel has the best views of the build and its components. There are also some photos on Flickr of Lego's original Makuta model that make a great reference to try and get it as close to how the original Journey to One build was.

Building it is satisfying because it is a challenging model, and once finished has the size and heft to make it really feel like a massive display centerpiece. That size really hampers posing and play aspects. The gear function for the arms is completely useless and really doesn't offer much to the model especially since the shoulders block so much of the motion. The model can stand on its own, but the limited articulation in the legs makes it hard to pose really effectively. The skirt also limits leg motion really locking Makuta into an almost constant standing pose (or standing with a slightly bent knee pose). The staff is so massive that even with friction extenders its hard for Makuta to really hold it up steady without placing the bottom end on the ground to provide additional support. Its clear as a concept model, Makuta never went through the same quality assurance processes as an official set, it really feels like a high end MOC and not an official Bionicle product. With that said the staff is a fun build since the planetary gear function makes spinning it really easy and fun, and the switchblade arms are kind of neat.

You also have to consider what sets you are sacrificing to get the build. Lord of Skull Spiders, 2016 Tahu and Ikir, 2016 Onua, both Umarak the Hunter and Destroyer models, and Skull Grinder vs Ekimu. When it comes to playability and action I'd say those sets individually are more impressive than Makuta, and breaking them down to make Makuta feels almost like a waste. A big reason I haven't broken down my Makuta yet though to rebuild those other sets though is because Makuta's build is so complex and massive any project to break it down would take hours before I'd have all those sets assembled again, and none of their building processes are quite as interesting or innovative as Makuta's are. 

The big pro to Makuta though as I mentioned already is that size and heft. Put that guy on a shelf and he TOWERS over almost everything else. Really my only other Bionicle set of a similar height is Roodaka, but while she is about as tall as Makuta she is much thinner and feels light. Makuta is just heavy to hold, he has a powerful aura and when you put him on a shelf... he is KING. Makuta while not as fun as a toy is probably the best Bionicle build I have ever made for display purposes, it draws the eye in and dominates my own display (G1 sets from 2001 all the way to G2's 2016 and my MOCS). Its the other big reason I have yet to break down the build, I really just love how he looks on the shelf. As much as I miss 2016 Tahu and Ikir right now, its hard to swallow the thought of restoring them to their glory as long as Makuta just towers over everything. If you can somehow get the parts for Makuta in bulk/used packs definately do it if you want to avoid the "should I break down my sets" dilemma I am in. If I had enough spare parts to have built Makuta separately I would never consider taking it apart, the only reason I keep thinking about it is because I miss the sets I had to breakdown to build Makuta up. Although when we consider that G1 Makuta was originally supposed to be a symbolic representation of the "destructive" side of Lego and how the Lego creative process requires breaking down other creations... maybe in a sense having G2 Makuta built like that is the embodiment of everything the character has ever stood for in all iterations of Bionicle. 

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

My mom never lets me make combiners or alternate models, sadly, but I can say that G2 Makuta would be worth building. I mean, the guy’s huge and looks like a king of bad guys. It’s amazing that you have to get certain sets from Early 2015-Late 2016 to build the big guy. I love the details and the staff. Pity that we don’t have a set version of the Mask of Ultimate Power. :(

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)