MOC: The Mata Nui Robot

Axelford

Hello BZPower boards, long time no see for me. I figured I'd share with you guys my Lego Ideas project! Its my first Studio build, my first Ideas project and my biggest Moc to date :D

2061952062_GSRdefined.thumb.jpg.ba8cb6641f1fa42993ada77ca149e269.jpg

It numbers 1984 pieces after the last update and I hope to round it off to 2001 parts when I'm done :P (maybe by adding the prototype robot or Red star or a baseplate)

I've posted this Moc elsewhere but for the most part haven't got to much advice etc. So I'd love to hear you guys opinions! Also we're close to 5000 supports so lend a hand, spread the word :happydance:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/0c310848-b5eb-4d71-85b6-258bc99b0b73

Enjoy!

• Like 5

you know... i get really annoyed looking at these Mata Nui Robot Mocs that people build/post online 'cuz they never, and i mean NEVER, get as close as possible to looking like the actual CGI model in toy form! but this, man, this looks about as it can get! this Moc is close enough to the CGI model without detracting from what it's supposed to look like! i'm serious, man, this looks pretty awesome! :) 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, TheZOMBIEJ said:

NEVER, get as close as possible to looking like the actual CGI model in toy form!

Indeed, this was among other things one of my primary motives, I felt the Robot wasn't too difficult to get right and at least deserves a Moc that captures its likeness. I'm so happy you think it's awesome :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Axelford said:

Indeed, this was among other things one of my primary motives, I felt the Robot wasn't too difficult to get right and at least deserves a Moc that captures its likeness. I'm so happy you think it's awesome :D

well even if it doesn't get turned into a purchasable set i believe this Moc has plenty of merits and a Moc that you should be proud of whether it gets 10K votes or not! some of my Mocs are "erotic", to say the least, and yet i'm proud to be Moc-making! i could never build the Great Spirit Robot myself even if i had the parts and instructions in front of me! BTW, could you post a checklist of exat parts needed as well as detailed instructions (in case anyone would be willing to build it themselves)? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so this thing is epic:biorules: Definitely the best GSR MOC I have ever seen! 

So many things have been done well on this model. Overall shape & size is great, which I know is very difficult for something of this size, & digitally at that. I also appreciate the details that are true to the images we have of the GSR, such as the pistons in the torso, which are done exceptionally well. I think the subtle differences in color really help add some depth. 

I'm glad to hear there are many, many points of articulation. I'm curious - are these the 'snap' style articulation joints that are on Creator sets such as the dinosaur sets from back in the day? 

It really would be cool to see some sort of name plate. I know that would bring the piece count up though, which is a factor to consider. (also, if it was me I would add 2 vents to each side of the chest instead of one. I know that is super nit-picky but its just what I see on the GRS lol)

All in all this thing is awesome. You have done a great job creating this model, & I really hope this reaches the 10k club. 

Oh & lastly:

On 2/15/2021 at 11:36 PM, TheZOMBIEJ said:

BTW, could you post a checklist of exat parts needed as well as detailed instructions (in case anyone would be willing to build it themselves)? 

THIS. Even if it doesn't become an official set (which I still hope it does), if there were instructions with a parts list I would TOTALLY build this! In a heartbeat. 

HM

• Like 1

:exclamation:currently searching for ANY Gray Plastic Krana Kal (GPKK):exclamation: If you were a member of Proto-squad, or know someone who was, please feel free to get in contact with me

• 2 months later...

I love everything about this. It captures the look perfectly and just feels so right. I'm already supporting it but I did just want to mention that this is perfect.

-Onvermel-

• Like 2

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

On 2/15/2021 at 4:46 PM, Axelford said:

Hello BZPower boards, long time no see for me. I figured I'd share with you guys my Lego Ideas project! Its my first Studio build, my first Ideas project and my biggest Moc to date :D

2061952062_GSRdefined.thumb.jpg.ba8cb6641f1fa42993ada77ca149e269.jpg

It numbers 1984 pieces after the last update and I hope to round it off to 2001 parts when I'm done :P (maybe by adding the prototype robot or Red star or a baseplate)

I've posted this Moc elsewhere but for the most part haven't got to much advice etc. So I'd love to hear you guys opinions! Also we're close to 5000 supports so lend a hand, spread the word :happydance:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/0c310848-b5eb-4d71-85b6-258bc99b0b73

Enjoy!

This better hit 10k 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the long delay in responding, got busy and stuff. Thank you for all the kind words guys!

On 3/7/2021 at 7:49 AM, Humble_Matoran said:

are these the 'snap' style articulation joints

Yes, the elbows have ratcheting joints. Elsewhere Exo-Force/Knights Kingdom joints are mainly used.

some sort of name plate

In my latest update I have added just that! You are right about the piece count, even the smallest thing such as this plate adds about 60 pieces.

Even if it doesn't become an official set (which I still hope it does), if there were instructions with a parts list I would TOTALLY build this! In a heartbeat. 

Yes, I totally will release instructions in such a scenario! However it should be noted that it has recolours so I would think you'll have to deviate from the instructions a bit.

On 5/14/2021 at 9:22 AM, Onvermel said:

I love everything about this.

Thank you! 

On 5/14/2021 at 10:04 AM, Bioniclefan7782 said:

This better hit 10k 

Yeah, I would be quite disappointed if the community lets this fail as well. Honestly I've been struggling to find more supports, I've reached most English speaking groups and some have upwards of 30,000 members! And yet most ignore it :no:

If everyone who has voted so far told some friends then we could easily hit 10k, the project is already near 6000!

Btw I've updated the pictures and am waiting on Ideas to approve the new, improved pictures.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...