Prototype Kakama used in promo image?

chuckschwa

1 hour ago, chuckschwa said:

If you look closely you can just make out the tops of the characters in the forehead. The mask also appears a little rougher in the light compared to the rest of the figure, although that could just be a Photoshop filter. What do you think?

I got to handle a prototype Lewa a while back, and the rougher surface is a result of the prototype molds not being polished up like production molds would be. The Miru on Lewa had very noticeable lines from where the milling machine's cuts on the mold and just seemed to have less fine detail in general. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Thanks for posting this!  I noticed that the mask was different a few years ago, but I didn’t know what the actual mask looked like from the front.  I also never thought to mention it to anyone here lol.  Glad that you found it and decided to share it with the community! :D

Edited by Daler99

~Daler

17 hours ago, Jaekoff said:

I’ve always wondered what was up with those old prototype masks. Who thought it was a good idea to put pronounced numbers on the exteriors, really spoils the look!

They probably never intended them to ever be sold. They just had to get some promo pics done.

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

On 3/28/2021 at 11:07 AM, Jaekoff said:

I’ve always wondered what was up with those old prototype masks. Who thought it was a good idea to put pronounced numbers on the exteriors, really spoils the look!

yeah, like @Lorentz said, these were never intended for a final look. Lots of companies that have parts in development will keep the ID on them for identification purposes (or other purposes) when a final design is still being chosen. 

Found a few interesting images

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 2.11.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 2.11.16 AM.png

:exclamation:currently searching for ANY Gray Plastic Krana Kal (GPKK):exclamation: If you were a member of Proto-squad, or know someone who was, please feel free to get in contact with me

On 3/30/2021 at 10:41 PM, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

I've genuinely never seen that picture of Pohatu before, what promotional material did it come from?

It was featured in a synopsis video of the 2001 storyline in the 2002 Bohrok Swarms CD. (https://biosector01.com/wiki/Bohrok_Swarms_Promo_CD)

Here's the video:

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2021 at 2:20 AM, Humble_Matoran said:

yeah, like @Lorentz said, these were never intended for a final look. Lots of companies that have parts in development will keep the ID on them for identification purposes (or other purposes) when a final design is still being chosen. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 2.11.16 AM.png

Is it just me, or does the prototype with the smaller mouth hole look more like Hewkii's mask in Mask of Light?

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

12 hours ago, Xboxtravis said:

image.png.5d271f7251acf556ea6143878125cd06.png

Well this is incredible:sadlike: I'm actually just about to read issue 1 of this comic series tonight! 

1 hour ago, Master Inika said:

Is it just me, or does the prototype with the smaller mouth hole look more like Hewkii's mask in Mask of Light?

Yeah, I can see that. It is a bit lighter, and also is more vertical directly under the eyes, both of which look like the movie version of the kanohi

:exclamation:currently searching for ANY Gray Plastic Krana Kal (GPKK):exclamation: If you were a member of Proto-squad, or know someone who was, please feel free to get in contact with me