Do you prefer Makuta or Teridax?

Do you prefer Makuta or Teridax?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi, guys. Well, you know, our favorite villain, Makuta Teridax, has an interesting way of having names. In 2001-2007, he is always called Makuta or the Makuta while he is said to be the Great Spirit Mata Nui’s spirit brother. The “the” part was suspicious because it sounded like “Makuta” is a species name, kind of like “the Rhino” from Marvel. In 2005, it is revealed that Makuta is also called “the Makuta of Metru Nui” because he actually has a species called “the Makuta” and “the Makuta of some place” is a title for a Makuta who is assigned in a certain region in the Matoran Universe. Icarax was the first Makuta to have his name revealed, and it happened in 2007 before the Makuta of Metru Nui said him, Antroz, Vamprah, Chirox, and Mutran in Into the Darkness serial in 2007. In 2008, it is revealed that the Makuta of Metru Nui’s real name is Teridax, or Makuta Teridax because the “Makuta” title is like saying “Mister” for the whole species, as this is to distinguish him from his species because every member of the species can be called “Makuta” by most of other people in the MU. People in Metru Nui and the island of Mata Nui keep calling Teridax “Makuta”, and Teridax represents his whole species because he is their leader. The word “Makuta” is also treated as a bad word because Matoran suffered from the Makuta species.  Despite Teridax’s revealed real name, people keep on calling him “Makuta”, even after he destroyed all the other Makuta but Miserix. 

In 2015-2016, there is a guy named “Makuta”, who is considered a rebooted version of Teridax. 

You see, saying “Makuta” is like saying “malice” while “Teridax” is like saying “terror” or Thanos from Marvel (Teridax and Thanos are sort of similar). I don’t get why people did a backlash on the real name. People keep on called him “Makuta Teridax” nowadays because of his species. So, what name do you prefer to call the Makuta? For me, Teridax, because it explains why he was called “The Makuta”.

• Upvote 2

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I'm from Australia, and over here "dacks" is slang for a certain type of pants. I always viewed the first part of Makuta's name as being derived from the word terror, which means for me his name basically translated to "scary pants" and I could never take that nonsense seriously.

The moment I heard his real name for the first time it utterly destroyed the credibility and intimidation factor he used to have, and it took me a long time to get over that ridiculous name change and appreciate him for the character he was. 

• Like 8

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

The Makuta.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

This is a great question. I think pre-2005 I really like what they did in just keeping it 'Makuta', because in addition to keeping him a mystery, they kept the secret of their being more than one Makuta from us (which is basically a staple for Bionicle). After it is revealed though that there are other Makuta, then I think he should be called Teridax or Makuta Teridax, to distinguish

Also:

5 hours ago, TERIDAX941 said:

*glances at username* :lookaround: gulp :fear:

someone's going to the principle's office

On 4/26/2021 at 11:43 PM, Gecko Greavesy said:

for me his name basically translated to "scary pants"

I don't know if I can get this out of my brain now

:exclamation:currently searching for ANY Gray Plastic Krana Kal (GPKK):exclamation: If you were a member of Proto-squad, or know someone who was, please feel free to get in contact with me

What if they made old school Makuta and Teridax separate characters?

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Teridax is an awful name. It literally sounds like 'terribad' with a bonko suffix tacked on.

I'll never know why Greg didn't just come up with a different name for the Makuta species. Surely that would have made more sense than effectively renaming a character we've known as 'Makuta' for several years?

• Like 2

I like Teridax as a way to differentiate it from the species name. I'll admit that my opinion may be influenced by the fact that I didn't get into Bionicle until 2006. I didn't really spend much time thinking about him as the only makuta or even THE makuta.

Both names are slightly silly-sounding to Anglophone ears. But Makuta has the benefit of being an actual word, w/ an actual etymology. "Mākutu" is a Maori word (what else would it be, given this is 2001 Bionicle?) meaning 'witchcraft' or 'to bewitch.' Debates about cultural appropriation aside, Makuta is the more meaningful name. 

"Teridax," conversely, appears to just be a name Greg thought sounded cool (given he supposedly used it on a World of Warcraft account once). Whatever else you think of Greg, he's not exactly a Tolkien (who was a veritable name-nut), so the names he invents aren't always of top-quality. 

• Like 3

I'm not gonna lie that when I first heard Teridax I didn't like it but that was more from the fact that Makuta was the name I knew for years and the title "The Makuta" was much more mysterious. However I have grown to like the fact that he has a name he doesn't share with people. Makes his lore feel a bit more fleshed out. I mean people using aliases or nicknames or even going by titles given by other is very common. I mean just look at all of us. Onvermel isn't my name as i chose to keep my real name to those who need to know. Similar to Teridax. 

Is Makuta the cooler name that leaves more mystery? Yes. Do I like Teridax as a name and think it's a cool aspect of his lore? Yes.

-Onvermel-

• Like 3

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've never heard anyone criticize the name Makuta. It sounds like what it's supposed to be. I always thought it sounded like "cocoon" and I imagined Makuta as hibernating beneath the island until he was at full power. Every time the Toa defeated him, he just retreated back into his shell to wait for the next opportunity to strike.

Teridax, Antroz, Miserix, all those names could have been switched around and no one would have even noticed. Not that they're bad names, they just don't have the Polynesian touch Makuta or Mata Nui or Toa does.

But I'll still defend the name Teridax. Why? It helps differentiate between how Makuta views himself and how he really is. To a degree, the original Legend of Mata Nui is how Makuta likes to imagine himself: Mata Nui's brother, his equal in power, only evil. The reality is that he is nowhere near as powerful as Mata Nui except when he takes over his body. Makuta can never compete on his own; he can only become powerful by imitating something even more powerful. Mata Nui is by his own nature powerful. Teridax probably dislikes his name just as much as we do, and he builds up all that "the Makuta" stuff to make himself feel more mysterious and otherworldly.

Edited by Master Inika

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 3:30 AM, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

I prefer Makuta. The unfortunate backlash of his name revealed had a really negative side effect; Greg Farshtey decided the real name of the Shadowed One would never be revealed out of fear of even more backlash.

The Shadowed One's name is Greg. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/28/2021 at 7:37 PM, Humble_Matoran said:

This is a great question. I think pre-2005 I really like what they did in just keeping it 'Makuta', because in addition to keeping him a mystery, they kept the secret of their being more than one Makuta from us (which is basically a staple for Bionicle). After it is revealed though that there are other Makuta, then I think he should be called Teridax or Makuta Teridax, to distinguish

Also:

someone's going to the principle's office

I don't know if I can get this out of my brain now

shouldn't you be in a Matoran sphere?

image.gif.f0b625d4fc4c82b928516a036fc1cf5a.gif

• 3 months later...

I'll be real, I never had a problem with Teridax as a name. When it was revealed, I recalled a lot of the controversy, and felt like it was very overblown. While The Makuta had been a much more intriguing title, it's impossible to ignore the fact that Teridax had been very steadily transforming into a different sort of character concept than he had been introduced as. While the initial Teridax was introduced more as a force of nature - a true brother to Mata Nui - and a misguided power who sought to transform the world to his image. Teridax fit more to me for what Teridax ended up being as a character - a villain of plots and plans who eagerly sought out his goals without regards to others. It made sense to give him a name, particularly as we introduced more Makuta into the fray.

To me it was never more silly than the other names handed out to characters. I recall thinking the Mistika Makuta had terribly silly sounding names - Krika, Gorast, and Bitil sounded odd to me. I was always sort of sad at the backlash, particularly as Greg has numerous times before stated that backlash has prevented him from wanting to give out future names for characters like The Shadowed One. Especially upsetting given how much people bothered him for the name, only to be rather rude about it in return.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

50 minutes ago, T.B.O.C said:

I recall thinking the Mistika Makuta had terribly silly sounding names - Krika, Gorast, and Bitil sounded odd to me. 

I wasn't too bothered by Gorast and Bitil. They were sufficiently bonkle-sounding, and distinct enough from existing names to stand out on their own.  But Krika specifically did very much annoy me, because we already had a Krekka and a Krahka and Krana and Kraata and probably a few more samey names I can't recall off the top of my head. 

• Like 2

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

19 hours ago, Nato G said:

I wasn't too bothered by Gorast and Bitil. They were sufficiently bonkle-sounding, and distinct enough from existing names to stand out on their own.  But Krika specifically did very much annoy me, because we already had a Krekka and a Krahka and Krana and Kraata and probably a few more samey names I can't recall off the top of my head. 

To be fair - now that I recall it my biggest problem with Gorast was mainly I pronounced it wrong as a child. Gorast is a lot more normal to me now. Bitil always made me think "Bill" though, and still does to this day. Likely just my own association.

Yeah, a lot of K's in BIONICLE. I feel like someone once said that K names tended to be easier for them to pass through legal? Don't recall if that's true though.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

• 1 month later...