What are the worst bionicle sets

Man  bionicle was great, Saved lego from going broke, had an amazing lore, Had a great toy line. But then you look at a set. For instance lets take 8945 solek. I hated that guy so much. when i was building some bionicles with my friend, The last set there was solek. Me and my friend were hyped to build it because it was christmas of 2007. And knowing we got this guy early we built him oh god. His right arm cracked when we played with him. The build was very basic. the mask (or face) looked cool but when we opened it was less cool. And this was the same for the other matoran that year. Then theres 8973 Raanu who looks just lame. There are other sets I could list but dont want. Tell me your what bionicle sets (in your opinion) are just the worst.

In defense of Gold Good Guy, I believe the set was supposed to be free. I think you could find sets that are worse relative to their price-point at the time. Like, if cheap sets are bad, then at least you aren't out a lot of money. If Titans are bad then you're out more than chump change. 

With that in mind, I think you find far worse sets in 8623 Krekka or 8939 Lesovikk (setting aside whatever you feel about the character, the set would be mediocre even if the lime green joints didn't break, but alas, they do). 

The least favourite set of mine that I actually owned was 8952 Mutran & Vican. For some reason the allure of 'limited edition' made me look past the fact it was basically a re-colour of Chirox & Kirop. I mean, technically you get more value for your money w/ Mutran (since I believe the bundle was cheaper than buying Chirox & Kirop separately), but I'd be lying if I said I thought Av-Matoran brought much value to anything, but that's just me. 

I once review bombed the Manas score on Brickset, they never worked right; always had issues running, I thought they were terrible and let them fall apart to pieces because they sucked.

Then I rebuilt it as an adult only to make the crucial discovery that I had built them incorrectly when I was a kid... and they ran flawlessly once I rebuilt them following the instructions to the letter. So... yeah.

I really can't say then I own any truly bad Bionicle sets. I do have a few mediocre ones though, like 2015's Skull Scorpio. But even though its an odd set, being CCBS and all its built tough and sturdy so I can't complain about it having quality control issues like the 2008 socket design. I stopped collecting Bionicle as a kid in 2007 though, and that means I skipped entirely the 2008 socket era and only have a few pieces in that style I have bought secondhand, fortunately. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

15 minutes ago, Xboxtravis said:

I once review bombed the Manas score on Brickset, they never worked right; always had issues running, I thought they were terrible and let them fall apart to pieces because they sucked.

Then I rebuilt it as an adult only to make the crucial discovery that I had built them incorrectly when I was a kid... and they ran flawlessly once I rebuilt them following the instructions to the letter. So... yeah.

I really can't say then I own any truly bad Bionicle sets. I do have a few mediocre ones though, like 2015's Skull Scorpio. But even though its an odd set, being CCBS and all its built tough and sturdy so I can't complain about it having quality control issues like the 2008 socket design. I stopped collecting Bionicle as a kid in 2007 though, and that means I skipped entirely the 2008 socket era and only have a few pieces in that style I have bought secondhand, fortunately. 

Thats funny i read your review today

Edited by Bioniclefan7782

I think if you go by sales, brown sets in general didn't go down very well in most markets. 

I agree that Krekka is just generally an unattractive set, and frankly I never much liked Umbra. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Kazi. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

• 1 year later...

The agori build is the best thing to come out of bionicle, there are no bad sets. (except for umbra I think, wheel feet dude with ugly colors.)

Bazinga! I've been a Bionicle Fan since early 2015 and have been aware of it since 2008. Was a bit late to the party due to my age, but that doesn't matter now. Looking for krana and sealed G1 sets at below market value if possible, (otherwise it'll be a few years before I care to collect sets I don't care as much about) Bohrok Kal and Krana Kal Mask Pack sets are ones I am particularly looking for atm.

I go by Nektann or Marcato usually online.

4 hours ago, Nektann said:

The agori build is the best thing to come out of bionicle, there are no bad sets. (except for umbra I think, wheel feet dude with ugly colors.)

The Agori build is despised by most Bionicle fans.

• Like 1

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

3 hours ago, Lorentz said:

The Agori build is despised by most Bionicle fans.

Exactly why I like it, pay $50 for a toy that barely poses and will have its joints break if you play with it how it's supposed to. Really the only reason I claim to like it is because it's the official toy release of nektann, the best bionicle character nobody cares about. 

• Upvote 1

Bazinga! I've been a Bionicle Fan since early 2015 and have been aware of it since 2008. Was a bit late to the party due to my age, but that doesn't matter now. Looking for krana and sealed G1 sets at below market value if possible, (otherwise it'll be a few years before I care to collect sets I don't care as much about) Bohrok Kal and Krana Kal Mask Pack sets are ones I am particularly looking for atm.

The build is fine, IMO. The issue is those horrific squared joints Lego introduced from '08 onwards.

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

I liked Kazi, what he lacked in articulation he made up for in style.

Av-Matoran / Agori / Stars sets were all pretty awful IMO.  Clunky single mold bodies and limbs that lacked the aesthetic of early sets and the mobility of newer designs, and happened to be in the era of weak joints while they're at it.  Some of the canister sets were less than the others.  The Nuva and Bohrok Kal suffer from being inferior recolors when compared to the originals, but they could still hold up on their own.  The Hordika, however, only ever contributed the Hordika skull limb piece to the theme.  And I was less than impressed with Gali Mistika and Matoro Mahri.  Plus, let's be fair, outside of the golden Ignika mask, the large Toa Mata Nui was a mess.  Not to mention that a lot of the System playsets from 05-07 were far from great.

I dunno which one I'd classify as the absolute worst.  Probably an Av-Matoran design.  Maybe Radiak or Atakus.  Zesk gets a free pass tho, 'e's alright.

:music: 

Edited by xccj
  • Upvote 1

On 10/22/2022 at 8:19 PM, Nektann said:

Exactly why I like it, pay $50 for a toy that barely poses and will have its joints break if you play with it how it's supposed to. Really the only reason I claim to like it is because it's the official toy release of nektann, the best bionicle character nobody cares about. 

you would say that

image.gif.f0b625d4fc4c82b928516a036fc1cf5a.gif

I'm about to see how bad nivawk is as it looks too skeletal to me, but I got an insane deal on a new one, so I couldn't say no.

On 10/27/2022 at 4:16 AM, xccj said:

I liked Kazi, what he lacked in articulation he made up for in style.

Av-Matoran / Agori / Stars sets were all pretty awful IMO.  Clunky single mold bodies and limbs that lacked the aesthetic of early sets and the mobility of newer designs, and happened to be in the era of weak joints while they're at it.  Some of the canister sets were less than the others.  The Nuva and Bohrok Kal suffer from being inferior recolors when compared to the originals, but they could still hold up on their own.  The Hordika, however, only ever contributed the Hordika skull limb piece to the theme.  And I was less than impressed with Gali Mistika and Matoro Mahri.  Plus, let's be fair, outside of the golden Ignika mask, the large Toa Mata Nui was a mess.  Not to mention that a lot of the System playsets from 05-07 were far from great.

I dunno which one I'd classify as the absolute worst.  Probably an Av-Matoran design.  Maybe Radiak or Atakus.  Zesk gets a free pass tho, 'e's alright.

:music: 

I came here to say Solek. I'll give the Agori and Stars credit for at least starting to do something with the terrible Karda Nui Matoran build.

It's a tough question. There are very few Bionicle sets that I could say are outright bad, even if some are weak. For every terrible set, I can think of at least one good thing about it, even if it's that I just enjoyed building it (like Krekka).

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

My opinion on this has changed over time, I feel. Av-matoran/Agori design is a very easy answer - perpetual 90 degree limbs and generally less intriguing builds. However, I gotta say the more I review them critically the less I like 2008 and beyond sets. A lot of VERY intermidiate design, and a lot of just not very good thigh builds. This is not very different earlier (see 2005 titans), but less intriguing. I recently got Icarax and was pleasantly surprised at most of the design.

On a separate note, not a huge Skopio-XV1 fan. Got one in the last year and it was just... a very bland and boring build. Telluris is not a very good pilot other. The Baranus was a lot more fun, and the Thornatus is relatively top tier. It's nice once assembled, but oddly large... and VERY empty in the cockpit. It's odd - definitely not an issue with older 2008 vehicles (the main 3, not really thinking of Mazeka or Vultraz's ships). Those ships didn't waste much space, or at the very least got paneling better. I think too much of the general part count was eaten up by the design of the legs for the Skopio. Given that the majority of the build is repeated 4 times, it goes for a VERY bland experience.

There's some awkwardly glaring design choices in 2008-2009 Inika builds. I still cannot for the life of me understand why they started making characters have arms and legs the same length. Shorter forearm pieces would have been wonderful for a lot of them. I picked up an extra Vorox the other week and had entirely forgot every limb uses exposed blue 3L pins on an otherwise black/tan/brown design. Glatorian are somewhat of a mixed bag that way. Like Vastus, who is relatively complex but without substance, and somewhat lacking for it. Meanwhile a set like Ackar or Mata Nui is less complex, but works better. Color scheme, armoring, etc. The Mistika were notably some of the worst designs in my mind - very paltry designs, ugly colors, and generally just rough features. Nynrah Blasters were eh, the silver looked tacky on the Toa, most Toa had extremely rough designs, and rather lame weapons. The Makuta looked nicer, but generally do this by using single-use molds that provide little other use. Krika is probably the best out of the 6, and exemplifies that latter point.

I will say though - articulation got a lot better as we went on. I adore a lot of the earlier 2001-2004 builds, but they lack awkward amounts of articulation. I love the design of the Exo-Toa, but man is it uh, static. I think earlier sets make up for this in features, complexity, and color. Many later sets have a lot of positives too, but get held back.

This is again to say - I wish we had the joints we did in 2015 back then. So many sets can hardly stand up. Granted, due in part to age, but one of my Ultimate Dume's literally can't do any sort of dynamic pose without falling over. Not an official set - but the Tahtorak is similar. I suspect this one is partly due to age of the parts now, though.

• Like 1

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

It's just personal preference, but I've never been the biggest fan of set-form Karzahni, myself. His proportions simply come off as awkward in my view, even by Bionicle's standards: he has a very wide torso from the front view but it doesn't have suitable depth, or bulk to the limbs, to make it effective. There were a few other places where his build felt unpolished to me as well; and on a more minor note, his ebony-and-gold colour scheme from the books was nowhere in sight.

That said, he also came with Idris and her wonderfully unique recolour of the Ruru mask; she was my favourite part of the set by a mile!

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

• 7 months later...

Kazi (No real head)
Good Guy Lhikan is a just a Kazi clone with no bohrok feet to keep him steady
The Duracell and Magazine gifts sets with Rahkshi Head/Mask heads were just terrible stick figures (so they could use a rhotuka spinner)

Solek...his limbs look bulky and look like they are about to explode
Mata Nui Titan set that has the golden mask mask is just terrible too, way too many yellow colors.

On 6/24/2023 at 7:40 PM, tourmalinex said:

Vezon and Fenrakk, Because of the axle and pin connector joint they should of been recalled for being defective.

What? First time I've heard about this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 7:42 AM, Lorentz said:

What? First time I've heard about this.

I think he means the 5 length ball sockets  on the hind legs in gunmetal balljoints on Fenrakk's back legs. Mine did crack after 2008.
Fenrakk is a solid build but **** HE TAKES UP A LOT OF SPACE.

Edited by (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-)

• 4 weeks later...