Jump to content

Post and Page Size Limits


PeabodySam
 Share

Recommended Posts

Since July 2020, I've been posting a BZPower mirror of Dino Attack RPG: Director's Cut in the Epics forum. After receiving a comment from another BZPower member about its length (and the absurd amount of scrolling required to get through it), I've found myself wondering if there is an upper limit to BZPower forum post and/or page lengths. So far, everything's been fine with the Dino Attack RPG topic and I haven't encountered any issues, but the latter half of the RPG's chapters tend to average 30-60 pages in Microsoft Word, which I could see potentially being problematic if I'm posting 40 chapters per topic page (which is the default number of posts per page on BZPower). Is this something I should be concerned about?

Quickly perusing the Q&A forum for any answers, the most recent response I can find reveals that there a 2,500 kb limit per post. However, this was from 2016, prior to the 2019 forum software update, so I don't know if this is potentially out-of-date information. It also does not confirm whether there is a limit to page length (i.e. the combined length of 40 posts total); would the topic fail to load properly if a page is too long?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm curious to the size limitations myself - but I think the best solution is to find out if you reach such a limit, and if so, consider your options from there. I know that this is the longest BZPRPG post in terms of raw character count (roughly 93 thousand or so based on how I measured it, which is including any formatting) if you want a comparison of other long posts on the forum.

I highly doubt that long posts would cause the page itself to break - perhaps a longer loading time if lots of extraordinarily long posts exist, but I think that if you encounter any problem, it would be the limitation of the size of a post's content, not the page itself. Because of how databases work, 'pages' don't actually exist per se, so the only backend limit you'll encounter is the actual size posts are allowed to be.

Edited by BULiK
wrong link on accident

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A quick search does not seem to turn up a maximum size for a post as there once was. There must be some limit on the actual database, but I would be surprised if it wasn't tens or hundreds of megabytes, which would be very difficult to reach with just text. As BULiK said, the topic doesn't care how long each post is, as long as each post is under its maximum length.

The worst case I can imagine is that you try to make a post and it gives you an error, at which point you could just trim it back until it fits and then make a second post later.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/15/2021 at 1:01 PM, PeabodySam said:

Since July 2020, I've been posting a BZPower mirror of Dino Attack RPG: Director's Cut in the Epics forum. After receiving a comment from another BZPower member about its length (and the absurd amount of scrolling required to get through it), I've found myself wondering if there is an upper limit to BZPower forum post and/or page lengths. So far, everything's been fine with the Dino Attack RPG topic and I haven't encountered any issues, but the latter half of the RPG's chapters tend to average 30-60 pages in Microsoft Word, which I could see potentially being problematic if I'm posting 40 chapters per topic page (which is the default number of posts per page on BZPower). Is this something I should be concerned about?

Quickly perusing the Q&A forum for any answers, the most recent response I can find reveals that there a 2,500 kb limit per post. However, this was from 2016, prior to the 2019 forum software update, so I don't know if this is potentially out-of-date information. It also does not confirm whether there is a limit to page length (i.e. the combined length of 40 posts total); would the topic fail to load properly if a page is too long?

That member is me. The fact the you have scroll down makes people not read your story. And plus dont call me bzpower member.  and plus plus why are posting about dino attack that theme is dead. go post something else that is trendy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Bioniclefan7782 said:

and plus plus why are posting about dino attack that theme is dead. go post something else that is trendy

Aren't you the BZPower member who posted that topic asking why some Bionicle fans are toxic?  And here you are trying to call out a collaborative creative work in our library for not being 'trendy' enough?  In a topic that the author created specifically to get help for the problem you yourself decided to point out? He posted this trying to accommodate your grievance, and was kind enough to not mention you by username, even though you posted directly in the story topic, which isn't allowed? I can't tell if you're joking, because internet, but like, wasn't Bionicle discontinued twice because it wasn't 'trendy'? Yours seems like a null criticism, at that point. 

As someone who's spent a lot of time in the BZP library, I'll pass you this  advice - if you don't like it, don't read it. 

Edited by Aderia
  • Like 8

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Aderia said:

Aren't you the BZPower member who posted that topic asking why some Bionicle fans are toxic?  And here you are trying to call out a collaborative creative work in our library for not being 'trendy' enough?  In a topic that the author created specifically to get help for the problem you yourself decided to point out? He posted this trying to accommodate your grievance, and was kind enough to not mention you by username, even though you posted directly in the story topic, which isn't allowed? I can't tell if you're joking, because internet, but like, wasn't Bionicle discontinued twice because it wasn't 'trendy'? Yours seems like a null criticism, at that point. 

As someone who's spent a lot of time in the BZP library, I'll pass you this  advice - if you don't like it, don't read it. 

Ohh okay sorry for what I said i posted late at night so did  not no what i was saying

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

There does seem to be some... not limit, exactly, but in my experience there can be an issue with certain longer posts. A couple years ago now, I posted a short story in the library forum; and while the post when through without error at the time, when I checked back to the thread a couple of weeks later I found that the post had cut off before the final scene, at around the 10,000 words / 48,000 characters mark.

What was doubly weird was that the whole story had posted initially; not only for me, but the member for whom I'd written the fic also recalled seeing the complete story when it had first been posted. It seemed to have been only later that the end of the post had been lost. I never did find out exactly what happened there, and I don't know if anyone else has ever had the experience of it it's unique to me; but it might be something to be wary of.

  • Upvote 1

FbsbqP.gif

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for your replies! I suppose it makes most sense to continue onward as I have been doing, and play it by ear should anything unusual happen; I've been anticipating that I may have to break up longer chapters into multiple shorter posts if that theoretical limit is ever exceeded.

That is indeed a very strange occurrence, That Matoran with a Vahi. I presume you're referring to Things Change? I heard about things like this happening on the old forums, but only if the maximum length was exceeded (whether from the start or from later edits). I don't know what would've caused the post to be belatedly cut short after only a couple weeks; were there any forum updates during that time? Either way, it's considerably shorter (about 24 pages in Microsoft Word) than the majority of chapters I've been posting for the Dino Attack RPG: Director's Cut and it doesn't seem to have any excessive coding/formatting that would dramatically increase its byte size, and yet nothing of the sort has happened to me yet. Well, one thing's for sure: the old days of needing to meet the 300 word requirement for The Rock Raiders Meet BIONICLE and Ask Hafu have certainly passed for both of us!

As a good sanity check, the link to the review topic at the end of every chapter means I can do a Ctrl+F search for "review topic". If it returns the same number of results as there are chapters (e.g. 40 on the first page), then that indicates that every post should be complete.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...