What would you have changed?

What are some things you'd have changed about Bionicle's story? You can be as broad or as specific as possible.

For me, I'd split 2008 into two years. Give the Phantoka a whole year, and the Mistika a whole year. The Toa Phantoka would have been all six Toa Nuva, and then the Toa Mistika would have been the Mahri plus Takanuva. Instead of having Makuta as cannister sets, they would have been Titans and the Toa would have directly fought other villains instead, such as Shadow Toa or mutated Rahkshi.

• Like 1

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

• Either never start on the post-2010 finale serials, or finish them. Its weird how many cans of worms those stories opened then promptly left hanging. 
  • Skip the Bohrok-Kal set wave or redesign the Bohrok-Kal to make them not pure clones of the Bohrok and give them a more unique design.
  • No pop-alternative music and rapping in the 2006 advertising. Sure it impressed the edgy pre-teen I was at the time, but in hindsight its pretty bad (dare I say, "Its cringe"?).
  • No 2008-2011 socket design, go straight to the CCBS style sockets or retain the original socket style.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I would completely change Bara Magna. In fact not only that but the entire set up of 2009. Bara Magna never stood a chance at giving bionicle a soft reboot for a new audience. Partly because it was a completely uninviting world for kids. Part of the reason I loved Mata Nui so much as a little kid was because it was a completely three dimensional world. The different tribes lived in peace with one another and had different cultures between the tribes. There was plenty of media highlighting Mata Nui as something other than a world of toa and monsters. Compare that to Bara Magna with its focus on battle and the shaky relations between each tribal group. It just didn't present a world where people actually lived. Just one where people fought and it simply wasn't as enjoyable. I would make Bara Magna much more similar to Mata Nui and make it a world you would actually want to live in. The other problem is that it simply had too much connection with the first saga and thus couldn't have pulled in a new audience. I would have given Mata Nui and amnesia to begin with and would have given a new name to coincide with that fact. Instead I would have had him gradually relearn his past as the story goes on.

• Like 4

It's time to move on.

I would've kept Tahu as a Nuva. Golden Armor is cool, but I loved his Nuva look, and I like to keep the Nuva as a complete team, not 5 and a tag on.

I also would have let Krika survive, maybe let him assist the heroes during their rebellion against Teridax.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Let's see what I can come up with off the top of my head.

• Put a heavier focus on Kongu Inika's constantly-on telepathy (and the difficulty of dealing with it)
  • Mixed-gender elements. Maybe having some elements more likely to be male, or more likely to be female, or more likely to be neither, MAYBE, but none 100%.
  • Have the Hordika to "go bad" be Onewa, Nuju, or Matau (my preferences in that order)
  • Have the Mask of Light story last a full year, somehow, replacing the Kal story.
  • Malum was banished for nearly killing Strakk, and then Strakk was banished for nearly killing Ackar. Nothing interesting was done with Strakk in that moment, and it feels like a missed opportunity.
  • Give the Toa of the Green on the Mangai team no weapon, because he quickly grows a wooden weapon in the shape of whatever he needs whenever he needs it. (Back when the Mangai canonization was happening, I recommended that, but no one seemed to notice lol. I still think about that sometimes).
  • Like 3

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

It's readability. The Bionicle story is for the most part fine. It has it's ups and downs, like any long lasting story universe, so there is very little I'd change to the actual story itself.

However, actually READING the Bionicle story became a mess of figuring out which story serials and comics and whatnot lined up with each other, so it ended up becoming difficult, intimidating, even, for anyone new showing interest in the Bionicle story to get into it. And this, unfortunately, contributed to the downfall of Bionicle in the end.

G2 tried to simply the story, but ended up dumbing down the characters to a juvenile state and ended up a mess anyway since they didn't seem to have a core lore outline to adhere to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

On 7/15/2021 at 2:36 AM, Tattorack said:

It's readability. The Bionicle story is for the most part fine. It has it's ups and downs, like any long lasting story universe, so there is very little I'd change to the actual story itself.

However, actually READING the Bionicle story became a mess of figuring out which story serials and comics and whatnot lined up with each other, so it ended up becoming difficult, intimidating, even, for anyone new showing interest in the Bionicle story to get into it. And this, unfortunately, contributed to the downfall of Bionicle in the end.

G2 tried to simply the story, but ended up dumbing down the characters to a juvenile state and ended up a mess anyway since they didn't seem to have a core lore outline to adhere to.

You read it in release order. It's literally that simple.

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:33 AM, Lorentz said:

You read it in release order. It's literally that simple.

It's not. There were loads of serials released that were prequels to certain events. Reading them in release order would be like watching The Clone Wars by their episode number.

On 7/25/2021 at 6:11 AM, Tattorack said:

It's not. There were loads of serials released that were prequels to certain events. Reading them in release order would be like watching The Clone Wars by their episode number.

You're never, ever supposed to read prequels first. Release order is mandatory. Do you really think the right way to read the Bionicle Books is starting with whichever one chronologically takes place first? I think it's Legacy of Evil, and that would make NO sense at all. 

...how did you not watch The Clone Wars in the order that they were aired? Why would that be a problem at all?

Edited by Lorentz

On 7/28/2021 at 9:09 AM, Lorentz said:

Why would you watch a TV show out of order? HOW could you have watched a TV show out of order while it was airing? 

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

And to answer the last question; you couldn't and that was the problem. A problem that Bionicle also ended up having, especially in the later years when it had multiple story threads running at the same time.

Edited by Tattorack
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/9/2021 at 9:54 PM, masterchirox580 said:

I would have given Mata Nui and amnesia to begin with and would have given a new name to coincide with that fact. Instead I would have had him gradually relearn his past as the story goes on.

That’s a great idea and actually reflects what happened with the Toa Mata at the beginning of the story.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 9:25 PM, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

I'm gonna be the first to say it in this topic but i would uncanonize Teridax's name. The backlash that writer Greg Farshtey got for revealing the name was undeserved. It was so bad that he decided to never reveal the real name of Dark Hunters leader The Shadowed One because he didn't want to see another disaster.

I like the name Teridax, but just not for the boss. If I was to do a reboot Teridax would be one of Makuta's lieutenants who was competent but want to be top dog himself.

As for what I would have changed:

1) More secondary element characters and less random races for Dark Hunters and Order of Mata Nui.

2) Add more regular reproduction of Matoran and other beings - the fact that everyone is around 100000 years old is just silly.

3) More even gender split between different Matoran elements.

4) Different elemental colours; Sonic would have Yellow and maybe black, Magnetism would be red and blue, 'the Green'/Jungle would be Green and Brown, Psionics would be Gold and Purple, Lightning would be Yellow with White or Blue and Magnetism Teal with blue or Silver.

5) Acid/Poison/Toxin as an element - if plasma can be an element, why not Acid?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Toa Jaxus said:

They did exist as powers: Bohrok had acid, and the Rahkshi had poison. 

But as elements for Matoran/Toa, those definitely wouldn't work.

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

18 hours ago, Toa Jaxus said:

Just give that all to Plantlife.

Well, here’s what I would do: 

1. Remove the fender lock in all types of Matoran. 
2. Make Skakdi have full control on their elemental powers. 
3. Make 5th and 6th Bionicle movies happen. 
4. Remove the Olmak from Vezon. 
5. Bring Alternate Teridax (the good guy) back to his universe, and bring Vultraz back to the prime reality. 
6. Not destroy Vakama’s Disk Launcher. 
7. Have Makuta Teridax be the “final boss” character in the 2008 story arc. 
8. Not kill Carapar. 
9. Undo the Golden-Skinned Fusion back to his component beings. 
10. Not kill Matoro. 
11. Have the Barraki and Piraka work together to fight the Toa Mahri in the 2007 story arc. 
12. Have the Bohrok-Kal be six swarms rather than six members. 
13. Change Tahu back into a Toa Nuva, and not destroy his extra Kanohi Nuva and Noble Kanohi. 
14. Put the Elementals and Nobua from Bionicle: The Legend of Mata Nui (it’s a cancelled video game in 2001) in the canon. 
15. There are two non-canon names, Papu and Rangi. I would say they are two Great Beings who destined Takua to become a Toa, and they are from the Agori Fire Tribe. 
16. Have the Toa Metru, Toa Inika/Toa Mahri, and the Toa Hagah do Toa Kaita. The Toa Mata/Toa Nuva should do that more often, too (Akimai was never seen to be used). The same should go to Matoran, Turaga, Bohrok, Bohrok Va, and Rahkshi by having them form their Kaita. Have the Matoran and Turaga form their Nui fusions, too. 
17. Have Icarax act more like Scarscream from Transformers. 
18. Change Dekar-Hydraxon back into Dekar. 
19. Have Metus recruit Melum, the Sand Tribe, and Iron Tribe into his army in the 2009 story arc. 
20. Canonize the names for those five mutated Pit Prisoners that Lego did a Lego contest about.

Edited by Lenny7092
Forgot the last five parts.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

6 minutes ago, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

Easy Mata Nui/Ignika mask would revive him as a Matoran a reward for his sacrifice. It's not like the two merged together to revive Mata Nui.

You don't get a "reward" for making a sacrifice. That nullifies the whole thing. And they already did that in 2006 on the staircase test. 

Edited by Lorentz
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

Easy Mata Nui/Ignika mask would revive him as a Matoran a reward for his sacrifice. It's not like the two merged together to revive Mata Nui.

Slight problem with that theory...

Untitled.png.56572eff16ba3c9689b8ab6af1f3fecf.png

And given that Matoro was completely transformed into energy and subsequently used on Mata Nui (in a sense merging them), there's nothing left to aid in reviving him.

• Upvote 1

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

On 4/1/2022 at 6:14 AM, Lenny7092 said:

8. Not kill Carapar. 
10. Not kill Matoro. 

Bionicle was already really light when it came to killing off characters, despite how often some characters liked to brag about their ability to kill. Where's the sense in undoing two of the only named character deaths in the entire franchise?

One of Bionicle's biggest issues is that most of the villains didn't die. They just slunk away and we ended up with this bloated expanded media to explain what every villain was doing in their downtime. And sure, it gave us some good teamups and side stories, but ultimately the writers were too afraid to get rid of a lot of the superfluous side characters. The death of Carapar and the eventual fusion of the Piraka are some of the few exceptions. 

Death, loss, and sacrifice are what give a story its stakes. Without these things, a story loses its emotional impact.

That's what makes Matoro's fate one of the best moments in all of Bionicle.  

• Like 3

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

22 hours ago, Nato G said:

They just slunk away and we ended up with this bloated expanded media to explain what every villain was doing in their downtime.

Thanks, now you've conjured in me mental images of Lehvak-Kal playing sudoku in space, the Shadowed One balancing his checkbook, and Kalmah and Vican playing checkers.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

On 4/1/2022 at 4:43 PM, Nato G said:

but ultimately the writers were too afraid to get rid of a lot of the superfluous side characters.

Remember when they killed Botar only for him to be immediately replaced by someone completely indistinguishable from him? 10/10 writing. What should have happened is that Botar was only believed to be dead, but then there'd be a big reveal that he actually survived. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2022 at 8:04 AM, Heyzorks said:

who is this "Scarscream", and where does one such as i find out about him?

He’s from Transformers. He’s a Decepticon who wants to betray Megatron. That’s how I compare Icarax to Starscream.

4 hours ago, Lenny7092 said:

He’s from Transformers. He’s a Decepticon who wants to betray Megatron. That’s how I compare Icarax to Starscream.

He knows that, he was just kidding you since you wrote "Scarscream" instead of Starscream.

Edited by Sailor Wah!

Sailor Wah, you need to stop commenting on my posts and topics because they are hurtful. Other people in BZP reply better than you. 

Anyway, I did not like seeing Carapar or Matoro dying. I feel bad for the Toa Mahri for losing him. I was hoping for Toa Kaita from them. Plus, I would prefer either all Barraki get killed or just let all of them live.

On 4/5/2022 at 6:54 AM, Lenny7092 said:

Icarax already acts exactly like Starscream, how would you have him act more like him?

• Upvote 1