Digging Deep into Rock Raiders

Another week, and another episode of the Bits N' Bricks podcast has dropped, focusing this time on a fan favorite theme: Rock Raiders! In Season 2 Episode 28 - The Fans, Devs, and Remake of RTS Classic LEGO Rock Raiders, hosts Brian Crecente and Ethan Vincent talk with Ferdinand Kostler, Karl White, a former programmer from Data Design, Alan Sokol, owner of Rock Raiders United, and Simon Eriksson, developer of Manic Miners. They discuss the creation of the original videogame back in the 1990s, the passionate fan communinty that formed around it, and the projects to update and remake the game for modern times. After this, the team is taking a break until the end of August, so we'll see where they decide to go in season 3!

View the full article

While I have heard of Rock Raiders before, I didn't really know much about it, so I found this episode really informative. I never really had much interest in the Rock Raiders theme itself, but the fact that the game is a real time strategy type of game has suddenly made me curious to see it in action. But what I found especially interesting is that the Rock Raiders United fansite is apparently about much more than just that one particular game, but rather seems to provide support for several other older Lego games. (I may consider checking out that site at some point, as there are certainly some older Lego games (both ones I played as a child and ones that I never had a chance to try) that I'd like to have an opportunity to try playing them.)

I've really been enjoying this podcast series, and I'm definitely looking forward to what they'll have for Season 3 next month.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

If they're talking about my old favourite theme, I'm definitely gonna have to catch up on this sometime! I've been thinking of doing so for a little while now, because the history of these old Lego games is an unending curiosity to me; but I think the inclusion of Rock Raiders is the things that's actually going to push me into starting that for real...

I just need to actually figure out a time to listen to them that works for me. Never listened to a podcast before so this is going to be an entirely new experience on my part xD

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."