Voriki Metru

Hau1

So, this topic is about a MOC, and it is one I have become fond of but... it's really just a standard Metru build. I present as my 810NICLE Day offering, Toa Metru Voriki.

That is to say, the idea behind this character is not just that he's a Metru-build, but that he's one of the Toa Metru--the 7th Toa.

In my return to Bionicle fandom from a decade of Dark Ages, I binged for a couple months on Bionicle lore and media and encountered for what I think is the first time, the concept of Voriki. Something about that fake leak, with its 2001-2002 era goodness struck my imagination, and I liked the idea of a rumoured 7th Toa. However, although I'm old enough you could say my crotchety attitudes of "Bionicle isn't good anymore" could be as old as the Toa redesign into the Toa Nuva, Takanuva is far too indelibly written into my mental Bionicle canon.

How, then, to have a rumoured 7th Toa **and** Toa Takanuva--and not have them be the same?

My answer is an untold (unwritten, un-outlined, un-daydreamed...) story of the Toa Metru leaving behind THEIR 7th Toa. Did they betray him? Did he betray them? For what dark reason was he left behind in Metru Nui? I don't know, but I like the idea of the Turaga speaking in hushed whispers on Mata Nui to each other: "Should we tell them"--that is, the Toa Mata--"of the 7th Toa?" They decide not. After all, these Turaga really do keep a lot of secrets.

But then Takua does Takua, the Makuta is defeated, and the way to Metru Nui is opened, and just when the Turaga are thinking they can pass off these dark rumours of a 7th Toa as presaging Takanuva... Voriki is waiting as the way to Metru Nui is opened.

So, yeah. Just a purple-highlighted Metru build. But I like it. The Mask of Scavenging was chosen for having design elements that kind of recalled the fake promo's lightning spikes, but it's a more "Metru" look. It could even be related in some way to the Mask of Scavenging: sucking in energy seems like a very useful Kanohi power for a Toa of Lightning, though it'd probably have to be tweaked slightly to not be quite so Evil™. 

The purple of the painted pieces isn't perfect, but it probably wouldn't bother me if I didn't have the Old Purple connectors on him too. The paint comes across (to me, anyway) as something of a "Metru Purple" or "Medium Purple." Ideally, the connectors would match, but those get a bit too much use for me to brave spraypainting them. 

I really like the Lightning Staff I gave Voriki, but I'm not sure if the vivid, classic yellow really works for a Toa Metru. His tool really should be silver and PROBABLY should be symmetrical/a pair. The yellow is much more "Toa Mata" in its vibe. I justify it to myself as Voriki having evolved his look just a little bit while he dwelt alone, left behind (well, probably not ENTIRELY alone--but who knows how he and Dume get along).

100_1087.JPG

100_1090.JPG