The toa nuva's leg pieces

Never noticed that before, but it could just be a trick of the light (especially if those are CGI models rather than physical sets. Computers can do weird things if you're not careful.)

Not saying it is, mind you, just that it could be.

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. And the true heart can tough the poison of hatred, without being harmed. Since beginingless time darkness thrives in the void, but always yields to purifying light." - The Lion Turtle, Avatar the Last Airbender.

Z8Tqp.gifsXuai.gif

Christmas Dragon!

I was about to say it looks like a trick of the light, but then I looked at a higher resolution image (I just googled the book title to find one), and now I'm not sure. It could be that that rendering was made before the sets were finalized, and there was a last minute change to the leg pieces. Maybe for aesthetic reasons, or manufacturing reasons?

I really need a better signature.

You're right. Looking more closely at pics on Biosector01, there are definitely slots in the legs. Between two different pics, the lowest slot on Tahu's leg is lit vs dark based on the position of Pohatu (and, more importantly, Pohatu's claw) behind him.

If I were to guess, having actual slots was the original plan, but it weakened the piece too much, so they changed it to the implied slots that we got on the final pieces.

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. And the true heart can tough the poison of hatred, without being harmed. Since beginingless time darkness thrives in the void, but always yields to purifying light." - The Lion Turtle, Avatar the Last Airbender.

Z8Tqp.gifsXuai.gif

Christmas Dragon!

Promotional artwork and pictures frequently feature prototype pieces that they forget to update later when the set is released. What you see here is likely a remnant from the prototype stage of the Nuva sets. You can see those here: https://bionicle.fandom.com/wiki/Gallery:Prototypes#2002_2

It is hard to see but definitely looks like there were holes there from this stage as a little of the white background bleeds through, and there is also a grille covering the lower holes. Unfortunately I don't think there are better pictures, or that any of the Nuva prototype sets have been found in the wild. If you got your hands on whatever magazine these are from you'd probably be able to see it clearer, or you could hope someone grabs a higher-resolution scan of it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 4:19 PM, Baraklava said:

Promotional artwork and pictures frequently feature prototype pieces that they forget to update later when the set is released. What you see here is likely a remnant from the prototype stage of the Nuva sets. You can see those here: https://bionicle.fandom.com/wiki/Gallery:Prototypes#2002_2

It is hard to see but definitely looks like there were holes there from this stage as a little of the white background bleeds through, and there is also a grille covering the lower holes. Unfortunately I don't think there are better pictures, or that any of the Nuva prototype sets have been found in the wild. If you got your hands on whatever magazine these are from you'd probably be able to see it clearer, or you could hope someone grabs a higher-resolution scan of it!

Exactly what I was thinking. Promotional art is often produced before final designs are set in stone. So you do tend to find a few discrepancies like this in promo images for all sorts of things.

Back from the darkness

(will update soon)

• 2 weeks later...