BZPRPG - Ga-Wahi

IC: Tuara Drigton - Ga-Koro - Cael's Hut

Tuara gave Agni a look while they all turned around the face the door. Judging by the intensity of the knocking, and all of the day's events already leading up to now, it seemed the universe really didn't want this trip to Ga-Koro to be a simple check-up. Tuara was closest to the door, and so she took two long steps, and pulled it open to reveal Korero Maru, looking a bit antsy. It must have been a funny look to see two Toa of fire, a Toa of Ice, and a Toa of water all staring at him through the doorway.

"Korero Maru," Tuara greeted him, "Do you need a hand?"

OOC: @Vezok's Friend @Eyru @otter @Ghosthands

• Like 4

samusbzpsig2.png.4c2dcd02e48c2219fb375b936c4a17ee.png
| BZPRPG Profiles |

IC: [Agni - Cael’s house]

Seeing just who was waiting outside, Agni’s hand dropped away from the small of his back and his shoulders relaxed. He’d spun with a start upon hearing the sudden knock and was now mentally chiding himself for overreacting.

But beyond that, it didn’t take him long to put two and two together.

“I assume you’re here for your sister?” he asked, then looked over to Praggos and Cael. “Did she say where she was headed?”  

IC: [Leah - Ga-Koro harbor, aboard the Yukanna]

“Judging by your commodore, he won’t be the only one remaining any longer than he needs to be.”

The words may have seemed presumptuous coming from anyone else, but when the Rora looked at the Maru again, the Toa’s face projected nothing but kindness, reinforced by a quiet confidence in the way she bore herself. Then, carefully returning to the matter at hand, she asked: 

“Sado…is that where the sword key was used?”

IC: [Rhow - Inner Port]

“What you want!?” a voice challenged the notion. Not Rhow’s. One of Skakdi apparitions in the mist.

“What about us? We’re starving!”

Rhow’s eyes squeezed shut. When she opened them again they looked at the Menti with resigned despair. The fight had been one thing. There would be no rest. What followed would be worse.

She squeezed Yukie’s hand in turn. You sure you wanna do this?

OOC: @Ghosthands @Palm @Eyru @Mel @otter @EmperorWhenua

Edited by Vezok's Friend
  • Like 2

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

IC Yumiwa | Ga-Koro, the Yukanna

Maru's question caught me by surprise. "Lady Toa," I ventured gently, "could it be true that, despite my people's representatives being among you for some time now, I am the first Dasaka to tell you about our home?"

@Vezok's Friend

• Like 2

IC (Korero) [Cael's Hut, Ga-Koro]

Korero's eyes widened briefly as the door was opened not by Cael but by an unfamiliar Ta-Toa, but his surprise waned just as quickly when he glanced past her and recognised the faces of not just Cael but also Agni, whom he knew as another close associate of Joske. There was fourth Toa in the room whose appearance seemed to ring a vague bell, but he couldn't place it (and had more pressing concerns on his mind).

He'd barely opened his mouth to ask about Leah's whereabouts when Agni, ever the detective, successfully pre-empted his question.

11 hours ago, Vezok's Friend said:

“I assume you’re here for your sister?” he asked, then looked over to Praggos and Cael. “Did she say where she was headed?”  

Korero looked to Cael and this 'Praggos' (the name rang a bell too) in impatient anticipation of their answer.

OOC: @Eyru @otter @Vezok's Friend @Palm

• Like 4

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

“Not quite the first, no.” Leah replied. “Your people have shared much with mine, but my duty has often kept me from being with them. So I know less than I would like.”

A beat. A sideways glance. Just a hint of mischief.

Definitely noticed a deep affinity for all things draconic. That much I know.”

“But back to the point: The swords are keys that open locks. The lock for ours is deep-buried right in Makuta’s lair. It’d be good to know where it’s counterpart is on the archipelago.”

OOC: @EmperorWhenua

• Like 2

[Ga-koro, Inner Port(Yukie)]

Oh.

On 3/12/2023 at 6:19 PM, Vezok's Friend said:

You sure you wanna do this?

As he looked out on the assembled faces, his mind flickered for a second, and the faces of skakdi were replaced with dashi and dasaka.  Gazes apprehensive, unsure.  His little sister’s hollow eyes.

:̸̯̀:̶̞̒Ť̸̲h̷̫̓ë̷́͜y̸̺̕ ̵̻͝w̵̘͊i̶̱̋l̵͇̒l̵͇̈́ ̷̪͌n̴̝̚ḛ̷̎v̶̻́e̷͓͝ř̵̝ ̴̃ͅl̸͇͋o̷͈̍v̶͈͐ȇ̷͖ ̶͎̋ẏ̷̳o̶͈̽ũ̸ͅ.̶̨̋:̷̦̔:̴͖͂

He squeezed tighter, and for a moment he almost felt the scarred, strong hand of Rhow’s in his own.

::I am very sure.::

Edited by Mel
  • Like 2

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

• 2 weeks later...

IC: Raiko - Docks

Raiko's mask flushed. "Uh, yes ma'am. I mean, no, I-I mean... I'll go get us a cart." With a curt bow, she pivoted on her heel and started weaving through the crowd towards land. It struck her that this wasn't just an elaborate dock; she was in Ga-Koro, where all these strange beings lived, and she still wasn't on solid land. The Dashi clung her bag to her bag, feeling the subtle outline of the cleaver she had inside it. It was a small and empty measure of comfort, but she felt slightly safer in the crowds.

Her feet sunk into the sand on the beach, and she felt a weight on her shoulders lift. The first time on actual solid land since she left Sado. The forest, distant due to the development along the coast and strange as it was, seemed to be calling her; its similarities to Oki were comforting, its exoticness alluring. But Raiko didn't let herself get distracted for longer than a moment; she had a shaky grasp of the round script the Matoran used, but fortunately, a pictogram of the crab... service? pointed the way.

"Excuse me," Raika said to the attendant dark-colored matoran, "I need to book passage. For... four? To Ko-Koro."

The onu-matoran glanced her over. "You're one of the Dasaka. Whatcha got to pay?"

The Vilda dug out an Imperial Dragon from her satchel. "Two of these each?"

The Ussal tender took out a lightstone and held the coin in front of it, examining its facets. "I guess that sounds fair, I was going to take some cargo to Onu-Koro anyway, its a different tunnel."

Shortly after, Raika had stored her sparse luggage with the Ussal crabs and made her way back to the elders. "I'll take your bags, Toroshu."

OOC: @Mel @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva) @Geardirector

The times, they are a-changing...

IC: [Ga-koro, Docks/Inland Thoroughfare (Pradhai)]
“Oh I’m far from a Toroshu. No need to wear yourself out, Dearie.   I’m sure I can get some help in securing the creature comforts.   After all, I certainly can’t let Laka get too chilly—ah there we are.”

A coterie of young Vilda menti emerged from compound, carrying the elder’s bags, along with an absolutely massive amount of blankets.  Pradhai’s massive serpent companion wound between their legs, as if it was making sure they wouldn’t be messing up.

The next hour could have best been described as “a controlled tornado” as Pradhai directed the packing of the wagons, much to the distress of the ussual driver.   He warmed up significantly however, when the crabs seemed unusually well behaved.   Well, that and the three bottles of premium Vilda-made distilled sochū that Pradhai passed over.

When it was all over, one cart had been stuffed full of luggage, the other with blankets and heatstones for the comfort of the riders.   Pradhai took a seat with a contented sigh, while Laka curled into a massive pile at her feet. “Now, this is what I call an expedition.  Just a few minutes more, a little bird told me we might have a surprise visitor.”

[Ga-koro, Inland Thoroughfare (Shuuan)]
Wool clothes. Bow and quiver. Enough expensive-looking fabric and plum wine to bribe the locals.  Right.

That old-biddy had anticipated my arrival, no doubt, with her prattling away to the local wildlife, but an afternoon of crab thoughts was enough of a price to pay for an entire city of quiet.  I took a seat on the back of the cart, as far from anyone else as possible.

“You’re leaving for Ko-koro today, right?   I’ll be coming with you.”

OOC: @Geardirector @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva) @Keeper of Kraata

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

IC: Vilda Mako (Ga-Koro)

The cold I'd felt during my brief excursion to the region called 'Ko-Wahi' when I last went up there had not been easily forgotten. This time, I was going to come prepared. Under Pradhai's strong direction I made sure I was ready to wrap up warm the moment we reached the cold wastes.

Kama was a trickier matter. For once, she would have to be satisfied with staying somewhere other than on my shoulder while she was travelling along with me. Not very spacious, being tucked into a smock I strapped to my chest with her head poking out, but she was gonna be warm and that was the point now.

I thought for a moment about weapons. I still had my usual pair of Chakrams, meant for a Mindarm to swing around and cause some havoc. I had decided to peruse the shops I could find, and haggle my way to handing over some dragons as a novelty bargain for something that the locals said would be perfect as a throwable. Get it right and it comes back, they said. Alright, bamboo disks seemed like a reasonable way to get something reusable that I could fall back on if there was no need for lethal force. If there really was going to be some action, that might suit me just fine honestly.

I took a seat and proceeded to plie Kama with some helpings of birdseed.

OOC: @Keeper of Kraata @Mel @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

OOC: Content warning: Some heavy implications regarding survival extremes in this one. 

Mood

The mists closed in again. And Yukie found the hand he held had disappeared. As had Rhow. He was alone, standing on rough gravel ground. A feeling crept in along with the mist - utter and complete desolation.

Finally, after what could have been seconds or an eternity, he spotted her silhouette in the fog again. Moving closer, more Skakdi resolved out of the haze alongside her. All strange - and familiar simultaneously. The crowd around the throne. 

We tried to make it work. We had hope. Thought we had what we needed, too. But it went bad. Fast.

The image cleared up just long enough to catch a glimpse of them arguing. A cavernous space. Crates of supplies. Dwindling before his eyes. Not enough to go around. Not for all of them.

Wondered how we’d managed before. Maybe Hyrak;dii knew things we didn’t. Secrets. Kept my own too. Prevent a panic. Tried to defy the odds.

Mists roiled as the scene changed. Torn up ground. Earth. Dirt. Crouching figures, Rhow among them. Planting seeds. The air grew cold and dry. Not exactly freezing - but enough to make it clear nothing could ever grow on this soil. 

Shadows circled. Eventually the assembled Skakdi turned, dejected, shouldered their farming tools and marched into the mist. When the Menti caught up again they were on a ridge, prone in the mud. Fewer this time. Sometime later. They were holding weapons. A hunting party preparing an ambush. One of the Skakdi jumped up and charged down the slope, even as Rhow hissed for them to wait. Too soon. They all followed. He did too. Only to find himself falling into the mists.

The next instant he was face down in the muck, the spined fallen figures dotting the landscape in his peripheral vision. Barely moving - but still alive, crawling away into the fog again.

Kept sending hunting parties. Further each time. No luck. Soon everyone knew about the supplies.

Another crowd. Agitated. A shouted challenge. Flashes of steel. Red specks on rocks.

I tried to keep them working together. Keep them in line. Punishing rulebreakers, thieves. Worse each time.

More red droplets stained the barren ground. Dripping from Rhow’s blade as he walked beside her. Yukie could hear voices echoing all around now. Some clearly, others just hissed whispers. They all said the same thing:

Hyrak;dii.

Hyrak;dii.

Hyrak;dii.

I heard the name more and more. They cursed it before. Now they revered that monster - but they hadn’t faced starvation back then. We were all hungry. We wanted to live. Then, just as we had come for him, they came for me.

Yukie found he was alone again. Just the crimson trail showing him where to go. At its end he emerged into the stronghold’s courtyard - with yet fewer numbers of Skakdi occupying it. There was a clear division: Those standing tall and menacing with weapons - and Rhow and a handful of others at their mercy, their hands tied. They were beaten and cut. Rhow looked up at him with sunken eyes.

Said if I couldn’t bring in food or loot all I was good for was prey. Then they told us to run.

They hurried out of the gate, back into the fog. He followed. Saw them run as far as their legs would carry them. Heard the distant shouts of their former allies mocking them as they hunted them across the barrens. Saw Rhow’s allies collapse, one by one. First they tried to carry those too weak to walk on their own. Then when they got too weak to carry them in turn they were forced to leave those that fell where they lay. Their bodies disappeared into the haze behind them. 

Yukie followed Rhow’s silhouette. Her pace had slowed notably. Each footfall heavier than the last. She wanted to stop, to avoid whatever was coming next, but knew she couldn’t.

When their vision cleared again, they found the last three other survivors huddled around a fallen fourth. They were emaciated. Hunger and sickness had taken hold. Before he could see more, Rhow stepped into Yukie’s line of sight, blocking it. He heard her shout. Voice raspy. Urging them to stop. They argued an impossible choice. Angry. Driven mad. Frenzied expressions on stained faces. Suddenly, the voices of the hunters closed in again in the distance, much closer this time. They all stopped, stood up. Rhow took a step back. Another one. Then she spun, seized the Menti by the arm once more and dragged him back into the mist, chased by the mad cries behind them. He could see her face was just as stained as the others’.

She kept moving, dragging him along with her relentlessly, away from the sounds of struggle and pain and the sudden silence that followed.

It was just me in the end.

There was a familiar sound in the air now. Half remembered and half real, he could hear the crashing of waves on a beach. Rhow had brought them back to the coast again. Night had fallen, but the moon was out, making the shore dotted by spiky rocks look even more alien. In the distance, Yukie could occasionally spot movement. A glint of moonlight caught on armor, or of the hunters’ eyes as they searched the area. Slowly, methodically.  Meanwhile, Rhow and him were sneaking between the rocks, evading their stalkers. Occasionally she stopped, picked up pieces of debris that had washed ashore over time. It wasn’t a lot - just barely enough for a raft for one. Crouching together in the shadows, Rhow began to assemble the pieces in front of the Menti.

Suddenly there was a cry. Rhow’s head snapped up, briefly looking to where one of the pursuers had spotted her. Then she turned to Yukie once more.

I knew what’d happen if they caught me. Also knew what most likely waited for me out there.  Didn’t wanna give them the satisfaction. So…

The Skakdi, little more than her skin and bones, got to her feet and staggered out into the surf. By the time her pursuers had all made it down to the water as well, she was too far out, finally beyond their reach. Their eye-beams cut through the night, but missed, sizzling out in the waves. Their cries of impotent rage faded into the noise of the sea. Then the image itself faded out as well...

They were sitting across from each other, on a bench in Ga-Koro.

OOC: @Mel Thanks for your patience!

• Like 4

IC: Cephala (Ga-Koro docks)

It was a little while before Cephala finished packing and returned to the group.  There wasn't much more for her to get- she tended to travel light, and they'd all probably need to stock up in Ko-Wahi anyways- but what alcohol was still in her system was having a rough time letting go.  One of the little Dasaka Matoran-ish fellows actually had to help her into the cart, and she'd made it through a good chunk of her (rather sizeable) repository of expletives by the time she was done being seated.

Pretty classy way to travel, though.  Wagons were a new experience for her; closest she'd gotten in the past was renting out a Ussal.  She wondered if it might somehow be possible to nap all the way to Ko-Wahi; they were certainly stocked up on more than enough heatstones and blankets to be comfortable, but then, she was also sharing the wagon with two particularly saucy elders, a snake, a birb, and...

“You’re leaving for Ko-koro today, right?   I’ll be coming with you.”

Curious.

"Oh?  And who might you be, little one?"

OOC: @Mel @Geardirector @Keeper of Kraata

• Like 2

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2023 at 7:47 PM, Void Emissary said:

"Not really many chairs," Daijuno said, going through the theatre of looking around, turning quickly to a vision of embarrassment. "No, not many chairs, are there.... Zyla, maybe you could stand for a bit."

OOC: Special thanks to @Void Emissary for this jam session!

IC: 

“We don’t need any chairs,” Wokiya said with assurance, “What matters is that you’re comfortable!”

Indeed, Wokiya and her team prided themselves on being able to interview anywhere and in any position. She hunched down on one knee and faced the two Dashi (Dashi? Wokiya hoped her scarce sources were credible), appearing true to her word: perfectly at ease. 

She really had done this a lot.

“I appreciate you both taking the time to speak with me,” Wokiya said, while Vera continued to sketch. Scryne had also resumed his scribbling, knowing the Ga-Matoran’s cues like muscle memory. 

“How are you both doing…” Wokiya asked. She tilted her head slightly to her right as she said, “For real?” 

Neither responded for a moment, until Daijuno pointedly looked over to Zyla, a cocked eyebrow and tilted head an indication for her executive assistant to begin the line of answers. In truth, Daijuno had only the vaguest sense of how Zyla was doing; she had ever-been somewhat enigmatic to her employer, even in the best of circumstances — which a months’-long sea journey most certainly did not constitute. Far be it from her to put words into Zyla’s mouth.

But Zyla’s sudden pallor and imperceptible shake of the head turned the tables back onto Dai and, with a shrug, she turned back to Wokiya and smiled. 

“We’re doing great, Wokiya, thanks for asking,” she said. Her voice slowed fractionally and pitched down just a touch, the way that she would with a client. “Mata-Nui is a wonderful island with wonderful people, really wonderful, just so inviting. And it’s a real relief to be reunited with Zyla once again, after so long apart — although I wish that it had been under better circumstances.”

“Yes,” Zyla chimed in, her voice cracking in the middle, so that her ‘yes’ came out in two fractured syllables.

Wokiya gave a warm and affirming smile – with no ounce of trite pity or condescension. It was easy to put strangers in a corner of helplessness, to paint them as nothing but victims because that sells more stories. But doing so often infringed upon the agency and resiliency of the people being interviewed; if the Dastana were so hapless, they would not have made it to the shores of Ga-Wahi. 

“I’m happy to hear that. I can’t imagine making such a long and perilous journey myself,” Wokiya “Even just crossing the Motara desert nearly killed me once time”

Wokiya continued, “You arrived here from the Kentoku Archipelgo, am I correct?”

“Yes,” Zyla squeaked out again.

Once she received affirmation, Wokiya continued. “Many of our readers are not familiar with that land, or any lands in the Endless Ocean besides this one. Can you tell me a little about your home village on Kentoku? Is it similar in any way to Ga-Koro… or any other settlements on Mata Nui?”

Wokiya looked at Daijuno when saying that last part, remembering that the Dastana woman had been well-traveled. 

Village, I think,” Daijuno replied, “isn’t maybe the word I’d use. Kentoku is set up a bit differently from what I understand Mata-Nui to look like. We’re rather more split up along clan-land lines— bits and pieces of property owned by various ruling families and worked by their vassals. Those families reside in their castles and compounds, and their vassals live and work in relation to them— mostly in whatever configuration best suits the resident toroshu— er, hereditary akiri.”

Daijuno cleared her throat— the saltwater nearby wasn’t making all this talking easy.

“Sado is probably the most comparable place on Kentoku to one of your Koro,” she continued.It’s our capital city, built into the island itself — hard to say where one ends and the other begins. It’s, ah… Zyla, how would you describe it? I’m not sure I’d do it justice.”

Zyla nodded, swallowing hard — she knew what her employer meant. She meant that she was liable to say something inflammatory if she talked about where the royalty lived for too long.

“O-oh, yes,” she stumbled out. “It’s a glorious city. Its towers rise high above the ground, until you have to crane your neck to even begin to see the top of some of them. And they are built of purest crystal, mined by Clan Mamoru, shaped by Clan Mashtet, raised by Clan Roku. Each district is more beautiful than the last: the Markets and the Wards, the Gardens and the Towers of Knowledge. And in the centre of all is the imperial palace, as fine and beautiful as the rora herself!”

At that, Daijuno could barely contain a snort of disbelief. She immediately prayed that Wokiya hadn’t caught that; but she knew that Zyla had, and Zyla immediately blushed, looking away and down at her knees, mumbling, “But I’ve always preferred to walk along the beaches of Sado….”

Huh.

Daijuno hadn’t known that before.

Wokiya had noticed Daijuno’s expression, but in handling the deluge of new names, places, and facts, the journalist had to compartmentalize and give priority to the most important points of her story. The history between these two Dashi was deeper than Naho Bay, that much she could tell.

So what to expand on? Wokiya thought for a moment and then proceeded.  

“That’s amazing; it sounds like such an arrangement allows for a lot of integration and understanding between your, er, clans,” Wokiya said, “If only Po-Koro, Ta-Koro, and Ga-Koro were as federated… though we are making progress here, thankfully”

“I wanted to dive deeper into the leader of your people, the one you call the Rora. Such a concept is a bit foreign to us. We have our Akiri, and beyond them is the Great Spirit himself,” Wokiya continued, “How do your people decide who is the Rora? Are they born into the role? Or is more like our Akiri where they are chosen by the people?”

Wokiya decided to leave it at that and let the Dastana women talk. She knew readers would be intrigued by such an arrangement – and more importantly – how Daijuno and Zyla felt about it.  

Daijuno felt her teeth begin to grind.

“The Rora is a—”

“Woman of the highest esteem in all of Kentoku,” Zyla interjected, practically tripping over her words. “She is our empress, and the grand ruler of the Dasakan Empire. We are currently under the reign of the rora Yumiwa of Clan Umbraline, who is daughter of our previous rora, Yusanora of Clan Umbraline.”

“It’s a hereditary title,” Daijuno added, crossing her arms. “Although it doesn’t have to be an Umbraline. Just that no one’s been able to kick them off the throne yet— er, can that last sentence be off the record?”

“If you really want to,” Wokiya said, her face implying a restrained laugh, “Personally, I have a lot of regard for those willing to speak truth to power. However, I can imagine if it’s hereditary… I don’t know. Leaders that aren’t elected by the people… well…l”

For the first time in the interview, Wokiya had briefly stumbled on her words. She was tempted to agree heartily with Daijuno’s assertion, but she contained herself with two facts: one, Wokiya was not a Dasakan, and had far from any right to give an esteemed figure the criticism that a native could give. Two, it wasn’t even half a decade before that the villages were “ruled” by the Turaga; no elections. 

But to Wokiya, it never felt like they were being ruled. And the Turaga certainly weren’t universally loved when they were alive. Perhaps the Rora was a similar kind of figure?

“Let’s just say, with our Akiri, it is easy for us to forget that we had our benevolent Turaga guiding us. I still miss Turaga Nuju, myself,” Wokiya said. She would not forget about their feelings on the Rora, but Wokiya decided to pivot; letting them build themselves up would (hopefully) make a more interesting case against such hereditary rule without directly challenging Yumina (note to self: get an interview with Umbraline Yumiwa). 

“You have mentioned many clans: from the ruling Umbralines to the mining Mamorus and the well-cultured Dastana clan,” Wokiya said looking at both of the Dashi, “Tell me about your clan. I’d love to know how you all came to be, well, Clan Dastana. And do you have guiding principles or things that make your clan truly unique among Dasakans?”

“The Dastana are the coffers of the Empire,” Daijuno said, leaning back in her makeshift with just a touch too much smugness for Zyla’s comfort. “We’re the merchants and the artisans, the moneychangers and the inventors. Sure, Mamoru might mine and Ageru might farm, but we’re the ones making sure that those products are getting out of the storehouse and into the hands of the people.”

Stirred, suddenly, by her own answer, Daijuno leaned back forward, jabbing at her open palm with a finger.

“The Dastana, well, we’re less of a family than a movement, you see? Cultural shift. A band of saihoko, lowest of the low, who bought their way into nobility with just their brains and their business acumen. Not another one of these royal dynasties who just had to be born to have a silver spoon in their mouth. Real grit, you see? From real people.”

Wokiya nodded, a knowing smile making its way across her face. So the Dastana people were not like the other clans in the Kentoku archipelago. They rose above their station and charted out their own destiny. 

Now that was a story. 

“Tell me more about that,” Wokiya prodded. “Surely there was… resistance to such unconventional means of rising through your society, even with money and wits. People in power tend to be infamously protective of it. How did you win the people – and its rulers – over?”

Zyla tried to open her mouth to head her employer off at the proverbial pass, but Daijuno was on a roll.

“Well, the benefit of coming from the mercantile and manufacturing castes is that you control the largest share of currency flowing through the Archipelago,” she said, barely suppressing a smile. “Whatever the other clans may think of us — and they think of us, let me assure you, miss — they can’t move against us without causing an economic disaster for the empire.”

Scryne and Vera were scribbling feverishly, while Wokiya’s expression remained placid and welcoming. 

“So you realized your worth and used it to become a keystone of Dasakan society. Brilliant,” Wokiya said. “The Matoran of Mata Nui could learn from your grit and guile. And that leads me to my final question”

The Ga-Matoran had spoken at a measured rate, giving her two colleagues ample time to journal everything that they could. Once Wokiya had sensed that the scribbling had slowed, she continued. 

“What are your plans now that you’re here on Mata Nui? You’ve worked for so much on the Archipelago, and it seems you left a lot behind. Do you plan to rebuild anew? Or perhaps use your experience to enrich the Mata Nuiian culture?”

That was a new thought, for Zyla and Daijuno both. For Zyla, between running from a burning home and trying to survive on no food and little water for nearly two months, she had not had a chance to consider what it meant for the Archipelago to be gone, gone forever. And for Daijuno, who had always assumed those hated islands would last into perpetuity, with ever-faithful Zyla keeping the torches lit at home, a life exclusive to Mata Nui hadn’t seemed likely.

But Sado burned, and demons had arisen from Karz, and now the whole world balanced on this little island paradise. And Daijuno still needed to answer this journalist.

“That’s… an excellent question,” Daijuno said, her bravado fading, her smirk melting into a thoughtful look. “And while you, or your readers, might take this as some sort of cynical wordsmithing, I certainly consider Mata Nui a home. It’s a good place, with good people, and it’s been more than generous to every Dasaka who has come to its shores. To repay that generosity somehow….”

She stroked her chin, looking at Zyla, and then to Wokiya, and then to the Ryuu moored in the distance. She thought about Zafin Umbraline, and her empress’ alleged maturation, and Zafin’s stories of her maturation, unsubstantiated… 

And Zyla thought about the power of presses— and who would wield it first.

Of course I will,” she said firmly. “Of course I will repay that generosity. Whatever I can do to assist Ga-Koro, and Mata Nui as a whole, I will. You have my word as a Dastana— and as a Ga-Koronan.”

Wokiya raised an eyebrow as she smiled. For whatever reason, Daijuno’s ardent response surprised her and lifted her spirits sky-high. But she did not forget that the Dastana were also clearly ambitious, skillfully climbing the social and economic ladders and willing to do almost anything to continue their rise. 

An intrusive thought broke past Wokiya’s defenses, and for a moment, the twifaced chill of the Cultured Gentry ran through her spine. She hoped that the Dastana were earnest in their declaration of solidarity and that they would become a sorely needed force for good against Makuta’s worshipers and benefactors. 

“I couldn’t be happier to hear that,” Wokiya said. “Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me. I truly hope we meet again – and in much happier circumstances!”

Ga-Koro – Public Library

The cool breeze focused Wokiya’s mind as she arranged the manuscripts and illustrations and prepared them for her supervisor, Catarix. She knew in her heart that this was one of her best interviews yet. Catarix could sometimes be shrewd with his plaudits, but the Akiri’s office would be the ultimate say: Wokiya was still aiming for that grant which would enrich the independent press and free Wokiya from the corporate whims of the Mata Nui Daily. 

This interview would be a crucial step towards that goal. 

“Wokiya, it’s almost noon!” Vera whispered, her voice barely louder than the ocean waves, “Ready to meet Mr. Vint-Rasque?”

Wordlessly, Wokiya wrapped up the papers with twine and lifted the manuscripts. She nodded, and the group made their way back to the town square.

• Like 2

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

Yukie did not say anything.   What could he say, that would not ring hollow?  His clan, for all its struggles, had lived in the abundance of jungle, where sustenance was assured, if not health.   Famine had been a list of old war reports, or the domain of folktales of the ancient past.   He had known, intellectually, that people could be driven to terrible things in the name of hunger, but seeing and experiencing it so vividly was another matter.

He settled on the only thing he could think to say, a question that felt altogether too intimate.

“What will you do now, Rhow?”

Now that I’ve dug up so many old ghosts.  I’m sorry.

I squinted at the dull-colored not-datsue.   Huh, so maybe these foreigners weren’t all impressively hued.  Some jaanu bird she was.

“I don’t recall asking your name, Granny, so why would you be interested in mine?”

OOC: @Vezok's Friend @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva) @Geardirector @Keeper of Kraata

[BZPRPG Profiles]

"Really?  We're taking a wagon all the way to Ko-Koro together and you don't find a little round of introductions to be prudent?  My, my, whatever do they teach you Toa in Kentoku?"

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

• 4 weeks later...

"Not sure, I worked very hard to forget most of it."

OOC: @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva) @Geardirector @Keeper of Kraata

[BZPRPG Profiles]

The Skakdi flinched at the sound of the voice. 

“I…I don’t know.” she answered after a moment, the reply a low, uncertain growl.

“Something’s…it’s calling. To go back. Hard to explain…”

She steadied herself, clawed hands digging into the edge of the bench.

“But you saw it…why go back to…”

She looked up at Yukie, something haunted behind her eyes.

“…to that?”

OOC: @Mel

• Like 1

Cephala clicked her tongue.  "Hm.  Well, I suppose I was hoping this journey would end up being a learning experience for the lot of us..."

• 3 weeks later...

:̶̫͐:̵̫̋T̴̗̉h̷͉̄e̷̦͗y̸͔͐ ̸͖͝w̶̛̺í̸̟l̵͇̉l̸̘̓ ̷͉̍n̷̅ͅe̶̛̺v̵͝ͅe̶͎̕r̴̡̿ ̵̝̏l̷̫͌o̶̖̕v̸̹́e̷̤̋ ̷̗̓ỷ̶̬ö̶̹u̶̡͛.̷̡̍:̵̣̍:̶̣̓

::..but will you?::

Yuki shook his head.   “I can’t say exactly, certainly many on my ships have longed for home on the journey to Mata Nui.  There’s something about the place you came from that draws you, no matter how terrible it is on the surface.   You want to make it better.”

He looked out on the waves.  “But you can’t do it alone Rhow.   You have people here, people who trust you, people who you have fed enough to make up for the starving that clawed away your old life.  Do not go alone.  Surely, there are others that feel as you do?”

IC: [Ga-koro, Docks/Inland Thoroughfare (Pradhai)]
“This fresh child is Plagori Shuuan,” Pradhai said, ignoring the glare across the cart.   “Despite the attitude she is very much capable, or so I’ve been told.   Always helps to have someone who can look above the snow.”

She surveyed the cart while stroking Laka’s scales.   “I do believe we’re ready to set out--driver?”

With a clatter of crab feet, the caravan set off, winding along the road and into the foothills, towards Ko-koro.

OOC: @Geardirector @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva) @Keeper of Kraata Old people squad, Raiyo and Shuuan to Ko-wahi.

@Vezok's Friend feel free to either reply or head out at this point; I know you have plans for Rhow.

• Like 1

[BZPRPG Profiles]

OOC: Taking the liberty of pushing things along to get Green Boi moving again.

IC (Korero) [Ga-Koro]

Having gathered from Cael and Praggos that Leah had expressed an intention to speak with the Dasaka Empress, Korero gave the group his earnest (if hurried) thanks and sped off at barely less than a run in the direction of the Ga-Koro docks.

With the Hiko he could've been there in the blink of an eye, of course, but from what he'd heard the Dasaka were particularly on-edge after some sort of hijacking attempt the previous day (he hadn't stuck around to hear the details, being far more concerned about Leah's condition). Materialising at the docks without warning, expedient though it might be, seemed unwise.

Fifteen minutes of pushing through crowds later, Korero was coming to regret that decision. But eventually the throngs began to thin, and soon the masts of the Dasakan flagship were towering overhead. Korero was immediately struck by the strange construction and sheer bulk of the vessel: it radiated an aura of solidity and power, despite being built from what almost looked like glass. Intentional or not, the presence of such a warship looming over the Ga-Koro dockland made an emphatic statement: these people might be refugees, but they were far from powerless...

He sensed eyes on him: the mistrustful glare of nearby Dasaka guards, no doubt suspicious of an unfamiliar Toa emerging from the crowds to stare at the ship carrying their leader. He turned to them and raised a hand in bashful greeting, suddenly unsure of himself in the presence of these soldiers from a far-flung land. Korero might have had the power of a Toa Mata running through his veins, but he still couldn't always shake the instinctive shyness of a misfit Ko-Matoran.

"Uh, hello. I'm, uh, Korero Maru. I'm looking for my Sister — Toa Leah. I was told she might be here...?"

OOC: @Vezok's Friend @EmperorWhenua 

• Like 6

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC: [Agni - Cael’s house]

“I think that was my formal introduction to Korero Maru.” the Ta-Toa deadpanned, amused that despite Kini-Nui he could count the encounters and words he’d had with any of the Maru on one hand still. 

Once again the guards on the pier only gave a single nod. A glance was exchanged. Then they contacted Zafin in their usual quiet and efficient manner, who could then inform the Rora she had another visitor. All in proper order.

Up on deck there was no verbal communication either besides the empress and her guest. The only change Leah noticed was that one of the sentries in her field of view paused in their patrol and looked out over the port side, aura shimmering slightly from blue into violet and back. But since there was no alarmed reaction and being in the middle of a conversation, she paid it no further mind in the moment. 
Part of her was curious what had prompted the change and briefly wondered if it was possible for her to dial into the psychic link the Dasaka shared with each other. 

Something similar had worked once before after all…in Mangaia. Which led right back to the question at hand: Where was its equivalent on the archipelago?

“Others…”

The Skakdi looked pensive for a moment. Make Zakaz better? In this universe? Then again, she had witnessed entire islands sink and dark gods fall.  Odds were higher Makuta or whatever Yukie’s version of that one was would fall again before Zakaz improved - but hey: anything was possible. 

She slowly rose to her feet and turned to the Dasaka once more. 

“I’m…not good at this. Sharing feelings.”

Despite everything, the trademark grin made first subtle signs of reappearing.

“Well you saw why. No surprise, eh?”

“Anyway…thanks. Guess I better go talk to some people…”

She wasn’t sure if they should shake hands, or hug it out or whatever. Ultimately, Rhow settled on a respectful nod, before turning and making her way back through Ga-Koro.

Night had fallen, but thankfully the Matoran of Ga-Koro had made clever use of lightstones and their little bioluminescent jellyfish, indirectly lighting the floating walkways from below so one could see where they were going.

Rhow followed them back to the great Takea, lost in thoughts of a distant place she had a hard time calling home. No, home was still that always busy inn she and the others had managed to keep running since washing up on these shores now. 

Pushing through its doors, she absent-mindedly acknowledged the regulars, then started looking for the rest of her crew in the back.

“Iraanus? Taoki? Where you at?”

OOC: @EmperorWhenua @Ghosthands @Mel @Eyru @otter @Palm and @BBBBalta if Iraanus is still active ^^ no worries if not.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2023 at 3:49 PM, Vezok's Friend said:

“Not quite the first, no.” Leah replied. “Your people have shared much with mine, but my duty has often kept me from being with them. So I know less than I would like.” A beat. A sideways glance. Just a hint of mischief. “Definitely noticed a deep affinity for all things draconic. That much I know. But back to the point: The swords are keys that open locks. The lock for ours is deep-buried right in Makuta’s lair. It’d be good to know where it’s counterpart is on the archipelago.”

IC Yumiwa | Ga-Koro, the Yukanna

"Then it would be an honor to be your toaship's ambassador." Assuming that I retained continued consent from our mental link a moment before, I deposited a series of images in the toa's mind: A map of the archipelago; the view of the Sado skyline at dusk from Zuto Nui's temple; a detailed chart of Mount Koshiki's terrain; a view of kanohi dragons; and a faded secondhand image of the gate Rayuke had opened taken from his mind's eye. 

"That's the Archipelago—our homeland. Fifty-nine islands all in all, each diverse and unique as the hues of sunset. Some are ecological paradises of field and herb, others are urban metropolises of quartz made edifice, and all others are in-between. For the urban, we have Sado—our empire's capital, as much a city as it is a jewel-adorned coronet, and my home where I grew up and ruled from. Thousands of Dasaka, Dashi to Datsue, dwelled and worked in the midochondric core of the Empire. 

"This 'lock,' as you refer to it, is on Mount Koshiki on Odaiba, the largest island and most volcanically active of them all. The dragons my culture holds affinity for dwell there, but there was apparently much more to see. My uncle and a retinue of mystically-transported matoran of your villages opened that lock, and unveiled the gate. Upon its unlocking, this last image you see is Rayuke's very memory of it... and of the entity that emerged from it. Our Zataka—or, your Makuta." The mental slidehow ended with that scene of the gateway and the dark, gorgeous deific entity that emerged from it. 

"By now, however, all that you have seen has since changed."

• Like 5

The Maru stood still, as if gazing at the stars overhead, but instead was fully absorbed by the sudden mental flood the empress shared with her. Each image was tinged with its own mix of associated emotions. She couldn’t feel them as directly through the psychic link, but signs of them played across her face just the same: Awe, longing, anger and loss. 

Then Yumiwa arrived at Rayuke and the gate. The Toa’s eyes widened as she told her of the Matoran, body tensing up and hands clenched into fists. A sea breeze began to whistle through the Yukanna’s rigging, the ship gently swaying where it had floated perfectly calm before.

The waves died down as quickly as they had risen, as Leah made a conscious effort to relax again, accompanied by a deep, deliberate breath. She held it for a long moment, then exhaled and turned to face the empress once more. 

“I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry for your loss. Your people’s and yours. I’m sorry we were unable to stop this evil here; that it could spread to your home.”

Both lands had suffered under Makuta. Mata-Nui far longer than Kentoku. But seeing how much had been lost in an instant. It hit hard. 

Without thinking about what kind of faux pas it might be in her culture, she placed a hand on Yumiwa's shoulder, giving it a comforting squeeze.

“I will do whatever is in my power to make it right.”

The words hung between them for a long moment. There were a myriad of questions swirling in her mind right now, but when she finally spoke again, Leah only asked one thing:

“The Matoran with your uncle - what happened to them?”

OOC: @EmperorWhenua

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

IC: Long Dihunai [Ga-Koro, The Yukanna]

Though Dihunai held the right to speak, she knew this was not the time. With great restraint, she avoided pointing out what Yumiwa had neglected to mention. Dihunai didn't offer the correction that there were free Dasaka on mount Koshiki, who did not submit to imperial law. Dihunai didn't point out that her fellow monks were the first that the monsters began to purge, nor that these aliens had begun corrupting the dragons.

Corrupted by an evil force unleashed by... the foreign 'Dashi' and Yumiwa's uncle? (What???)

This Toa's “I’m sorry,” didn't cut it for Dihunai. The warrior said nothing, but the swirling red and violet aura around her spoke volumes to Leah's Ruhaku.

Edited by BULiK
  • Like 4

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

IC: Catarix & Libelle (NPC) — Ga-Koro, Café Kaukau

Ko-Koro’s finest chief editor was fighting to contain his exasperation under a veneer of professional cordiality. Catarix Vint-Rasque could not deny the truth: this woman who now ran the Ga-Koro branch of the Mata Nui Daily publication was an utter mess. Catarix struggled to count on one hand the number of original, sensible thoughts Ms. Libelle held in the space between her audio receptors.

Catarix wanted to prod more, to learn just how deep the Kofo Jaga pit went. But Mata Nui-forbid he discover that his fellow chief editor was illiterate. Some things just aren’t worth finding out.

The Ko-Matoran had hoped that he could just provide a little advice for the new editor during one of the most challenging times for a journalist. However, Libelle had flown past the field of not caring and into a realm of “anti-caring”. Somehow, Libelle was rallying her team around the most reactionary of coverages. If continued unabated, the Mata Nuiian public’s perception of the Dasakan refugees could be horribly damaged — not to mention what it could do to the reputation of Ga-Koro’s leadership.

“There’s something I still don’t quite understand,” Catarix said to Libelle after watching her pay their combined check, “Why would Ga-Koronans even want to know about… well, how ‘rich’ the newcomers are, or what their crown princess likes to do in her free time? I cannot claim to have lived here for any notable amount of time, but my understanding of Ga-Koronans is that gossip is not their way of life. Kind of gets in the way of that whole ‘Unity’ virtue, if I recall correctly”

Libelle flashed a sly smile and replied, "Unity might be a virtue, but curiosity fuels intrigue, and intrigue sells papers. Besides, who said unity couldn't coexist with a bit of harmless gossip?"

Catarix raised an eyebrow. “Gossip breeds distrust, and it’s hard for villagers and refugees to be unified without trust”

Libelle leaned back, her eyes searching the room as if the answer lay in the patterns of the cafe’s ceiling. "You see, Catarix, it's not just about caring for the wealthy refugees," she began. "It's the stark contrast between their opulence and the struggles of our villagers. Jealousy and resentment can fester in such situations. Ga-Koronans might question why their hard-earned resources are spent on others who seem to have plenty. They might feel forgotten, their needs overshadowed. That's where the seeds of distrust take root. We need to navigate this delicate balance with grace and understanding, lest unity crumbles under the weight of misperception." Libelle's expression turned earnest as she finished her explanation as if she believed that her insight would bridge the gap between Catarix's doubts and her approach to journalism.

Catarix blinked haphazardly.

“I have to ask Ms. Libelle, how hard was it to receive this promotion? I’ve heard so many stories of tribulation and triumph from my peers—to say nothing of my own story…”

Libelle's gaze softened, appearing to reminisce about her journey to the coveted position. "It wasn't an easy road, I must admit," she said with a thoughtful smile. "I started as a humble reporter, just like many others. But I embraced each challenge as an opportunity to learn and grow. I strove not only to report the news but to understand the heart of our community. Unity is a powerful virtue, and I found that when we collaborate and support one another, we can achieve remarkable things."

She paused, her eyes locking onto Catarix's. "And that's where you come in, Catarix," she continued. "We may have taken different paths, but now fate has brought us together as fellow chief editors. Our shared purpose should be to uphold the integrity of the Mata Nui Daily and to serve our readers with the truth. By pooling our strengths, we can create something exceptional, forging an unbreakable bond that will inspire unity not only within our team but among the entire island."

Libelle extended her hand toward the Ko-Matoran. Catarix eyed his colleague’s bejeweled digits for a beat before he accepted the handshake, his eyes narrowing. Libelle’s grip had a new firmness to it.

"While we do live on opposing halves on the island, we still have a connection," Libelle said, "Believe it or not, I do have personal ties to Ko-Koro. And I want to see its publication succeed."

“Family?”

Libelle nodded slowly but did not speak.

“Can’t say I’m much of a family man myself,” Catarix rambled on, “But I did try to aptly prepare for our meeting by looking a bit more into your local connections.”

Catarix leaned back a bit in his seat before continuing. “I think I remember some article mentioning your elder sister Aelrie. Does she come to visit often?”

Libelle's smile remained steady, but her eyes sharpened.

"Ah, Aelrie," she replied casually, though her heart raced at the mention of her sister. "She's a busy individual, but yes, she does visit from time to time."

Libelle then decided to respond in kind, her tone measured and deliberate. "And speaking of connections, do send my regards to your protege, Wokiya. She's quite talented, isn't she? Oh, and her brother too, of course. It's fascinating how our lives intersect in unexpected ways, isn't it?" She paused as if waiting to see if Catarix would catch whatever unspoken message was behind her words. For Catarix’s part, his face remained unreadable.

Bingo, he thought.

“They’re doing fine as far as I know,” Catarix said, checking his watch.

Almost noon.

“Well, I’m afraid that’s all the time I have for such regaling views and insightful discussions,” Catarix said, “I need to go check on my staff”

Libelle gave a nod. "Of course, duty calls."

Catarix — Ga-Koro, Town Square

The Ko-Matoran people watched as he waited for Wokiya & The Gang to return with the narrative spoils. His copy of the newspaper unrolled as he glanced between it and the passers-by. He was no longer worried about Libelle or the state of Ga-Koro’s Mata Nui Daily branch. Sure, its journalistic integrity was still in danger, but it was a familiar danger.

When given a choice, Catarix Vint-Rasque almost always preferred to dance with the devil he knew. If Chairwoman Niici really was starting her campaign of aggressive expansion, Catarix and Wokiya would be ready with their counter-offensive.

Edited by Emzee
fix transition issue
  • Like 3

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

Yukie watched Rhow go, before standing up and walking back to the pair of Dastana.   Evidently they had finished their interview with the reporter, and judging by Daijuno’s satisfied expression he wished he could have been privy to it—he must find a way to get a copy of whatever scroll the Mata-Nuians used to convey news.

“I believe Rhow now has enough information to chart her own course,” he said, returning Daijuno’s appraising gaze.   “Now, are there any other questions I can answer?”

OOC: @Void Emissary

• Like 1

[BZPRPG Profiles]

IC: Daijuno & Zyla Dastana | Ga-Koro Inner Port

As she left, I reckoned that I would be thinking about the rise of Wokiya's eyebrow for quite a while. 

"I would've hoped that she'd have told me that herself," I muttered faintly to myself, the image of Wokiya's smile faded from my mind, replaced by an empty crate where Rhow was no longer sitting. "But, then, I suppose I'm just some schmuck who wandered into her gin joint on a random day of the week. Hmph. Any case. I hope that the experience wasn't too... difficult for her? The people of this island aren't as used to games of the mind as we are."

"We are, of course, most grateful for your generous assistance, Toroshu Plangori," Zyla added, bowing deeply in my peripheral vision.

OOC: @Mel

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

"I won't say it wasn't...difficult.  Rhow's been through quite a lot.   I did my best to be a help and not a hindrance, but I think she might want some time to herself to consider what she has learned."

He nodded to Zyla in return, trying not to let the electric thrill of the word toroshu distract him from the strange feeling of familiarity--he was sure he had seen the dashi before.  There was also the lure, the trap of that word.  He would not let it define him--it was a tool, not an identity.

"I am equally grateful for your work of diplomacy, Mistress Dastana.   I am trying to care for my people, and you do us a great service by seeking understanding with the people here."

OOC: @Void Emissary

[BZPRPG Profiles]

• 2 weeks later...

IC: Daijuno & Zyla Dastana | Ga-Koro Inner Port

"Yes, well," I said breezily, flashing the Toroshu a winning smile, "what some might see as work, I see as a pleasure. I've always viewed myself as a people-person -- ask anyone!"

I ignored the way that Zyla barely suppressed a snort.

"But, in all seriousness," I added, adding a careful note of solemnity to my voice, "my thanks for your help with Rhow's, er, memory issues. Nice bit o' diplomacy yourself there, eh? Of course, way that she talked about it to me, seems like most people who come to this island have had similar experiences to her -- except for us. Strange, isn't it? I can't imagine-- oh! Well, I-- I'm sure that there's some matter of confidentiality between a willhammer and their... matron, I guess, but I don't suppose that you... sensed any source of that mass amnesia while you were with Rhow, did you? Now, an answer like that would go a long way to ingratiating us to the local populace."

OOC: @Mel

-Void

• Like 3

[ BZPRPG ]

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry for your loss. Your people’s and yours. I’m sorry we were unable to stop this evil here; that it could spread to your home.”

he placed a hand on Yumiwa's shoulder, giving it a comforting squeeze. “I will do whatever is in my power to make it right.” The words hung between them for a long moment. “The Matoran with your uncle - what happened to them?”

IC Umbraline Yumiwa | The Yukanna

I dismissed the toa's gesture with a disarming smile and gently guided her hand off my shoulder. "Maru, your apologies, well-intentioned as they are, are of no use to me," I retorted, perhaps in a tone considered too curt for imperial court manners but probably welcomed on Mata Nuian's ears.

"I trust that your people will make things right because such is right to do, and not out of any remorse that your actions affected realms beyond your own. If your great enemy is ours too, and our cultures are not alone in this world, then how many other nations may have failed to end this darkness?" I let the thought linger a moment, like a seed falling to the earth and left to be watered later. 

"The matoran who accompanied my uncle in the prophesy's fulfillment sailed with us—our exodus was their return," I finally said in answer to Maru's question. "Their names are Lekua, Leli, Tarnok, Soraya, Kellin, and Seven, and they are likely still here in Ga-Koro. I imagine you'll seek them out and hear the tale from their own mouths."

@Vezok's Friend @BULiK

Edited by EmperorWhenua
  • Like 2

Leah was indeed relieved to hear the empress’ words, but Dihunai’s glowing, shifting aura was impossible to miss just behind her. Not that she could blame the Dasaka for feeling the way she did. In a way she could relate. The time of universally good Toa heroics was long over, she knew. But it’d be hard to deny that believing in them wasn’t something that was still part of most Matoran’s programming deep down, her’s included. Which made the current state of affairs hit that much harder emotionally. But even so she also knew as a Maru they’d still be held accountable for it, even if the circumstances weren’t entirely within their control. For her part, Leah had quickly adapted to the situation. She had, even if just subconsciously at times, expected something like it ever since learning Stannis had kept the truth from her and the others. It still hurt. In that regard she was in the same boat as everyone else.

There was a brief moment where their eyes met across Yumiwa’s shoulder. And the wyvern found that behind the current pain, there was a storm looking back at her, kept in check until the time was right to unleash it upon those deserving of its fury.

Then the Toa’s attention returned to Yumiwa. Finally, she had names. Eyewitnesses to Makuta’s return. 

“I imagine you'll seek them out and hear the tale from their own mouths.”

“Yes, that is what I will do. The sooner the better. If what they know is of use to us then maybe the danger isn’t over for them yet either…”

Just then, Zafin took a step forward, a brief glance from the empress to the Toa, before settling on speaking instead of ideatalk for the benefit of the Maru. 

“Apologies for the interruption, your majesty, but Toa Maru Korero is asking for permission to come aboard.”

Leah’s eyes lit up. 

OOC: Eyy! @EmperorWhenua @Ghosthands @BULiK

• Like 2

IC:

Rockwall had been fairly familiar, albeit populated by the strange and unknown. A coastal installation overseen by a military installation, docks, some small luxuries that grew up around any sailing village. Ga-Koro was at once more familiar than that and utterly alien. The waters were full- clogged, really, with the crystalline ships of the Dasaka. The local marines were working overtime to try and keep them organized, prevent collisions and generally avoid a maritime disaster. The flow of refugees on top of that required some kind of intake, medical attention, food... All the basic needs that a mass exodus over a nearly uncharted sea would have lacked. A foreign people required interfacing with the locals, the processing overseen by both marines and imperial Menti.

A true coastal village- nearly a city- should have been even more familiar than the Rockwall. But in truth the sheer... Absurdity of it was enough to strain even Kiyaku's capable imagination. The whole village was built atop floating pads of vegetation, not unlike the water lilies commonly found in gardens across the archipelago. They were immense. One could hold a home, maybe even multiple, some held even larger structures. Where a single pad, however large, wasn't quite enough multiple had been gathered together. Similarly organic bridges connected the pads, and organic material composed the structures as well! The village held more green upon the water than almost anywhere back home on the land.

She allowed herself, for a few minutes, to take in that alien landscape from the deck of her ship.

Not that it had sailed towards the village under its own colors; it had not sailed to the village in its previous guise, either. The Umbralines would be here in force. It would only take one informed enough busybody to wonder why they had never heard of one of their clan's own ships, or her captain. No, the Shinushya had traded in her Umbraline livery for that of the Eiyu. Aligned with the Umbraline, but secluded enough to raise no questions among most of the refugees. In all likelihood, they wouldn't even have noticed. They had spent so long adrift, desperate, it would be the last thing on their minds.

But it never paid to be careless.

"Ela?" Kiyaku asked aloud, tearing her eyes away from the scene. The Menti, yet again, seemed to wear a different skin than before. Ela had been aboard for a handful of days, enough time to be introduced to the crew and travel to Ga-Koro, but in that time Kiyaku had never looked exactly the same twice. Recognizable, perhaps, but her features and build were a little different each time. "Would you accompany me into the village proper?"

@Morgan Yu

• Like 4

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC: Ela Latos 

The warrior rose from a squat, having been admiring Ga-Koro from afar. Her memories of her birthplace were scarce but seemed to resemble Ga-Wahi in a few elements - but were completely alien in others. She hadn't yet asked Kiyaku of their exact business here. 

Her posture was now straightened - she rolled her shoulders, looking down to her new Captain. Her time here had been strange, she knew the crew wouldn't dare to question Kiyaku's judgement but she could still feel their eyeballs boring into her sometimes. As long as that didn't spell danger, she could abide it.

"As long as you regale me of our purpose here on the way in." She worded that perhaps a bit too demanding, though that either didn't faze her or simply didn't register at all.

OOC: @Krayzikk

• Like 1

“No. Sorry, kid, that’s the one thing you can never do.”

BZPRPG Arc 3 Profiles I GOBM Profiles

IC:

"Happily," she said, stepping onto the gangplank that lead down to the dock at which the Shinushya— rather than Gilded Dragon, as she had supplied to the dock officer— was berthed. The Menti set foot on the dock with some unconscious hesitation— no matter how much her mind understood that it was stable, strange though it seemed, her body expected it to give and shift underfoot like a floating plank. It gave some, yes, but that was down to the natural pliancy of the vegetation. It shifted under her feet no more than a crystalline dock would have at home.

"Firstly I wish to see for myself the disposition of my people. I need to see the state of their ships, feel their state of mind upon the mental plane to understand their mood. Ga-Koro, on the other hand, is supposed to possess the largest navy that this island has. I want to see it for myself. I expect to visit this village regularly, so it makes the most sense to become familiar with it, yes?

@Jesse Pinkman

• Like 1

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

• 3 weeks later...

IC: Ela Latos - Ga-Koro Tour

She nodded. 

"These villages...they each harbour their own temperaments and moods. I haven't visited Ga-Koro since your people arrived. Not to say they'll give you trouble, but being prepared for questions is probably wise. Not to suggest you weren't already."

She herself still felt odd on the vegetation that comprised the walkways of Ga-Koro. She'd seen Skakdi that towered over even her that still stood fine on them, but the slight unease while walking remained.

"Why does your people's disposition make you curious?"

OOC: @Krayzikk

“No. Sorry, kid, that’s the one thing you can never do.”

BZPRPG Arc 3 Profiles I GOBM Profiles

On 8/20/2023 at 9:33 PM, EmperorWhenua said:

IC Umbraline Yumiwa | The Yukanna

"Maru, your apologies, well-intentioned as they are, are of no use to me,"

On 8/26/2023 at 3:17 PM, Vezok's Friend said:

There was a brief moment where their eyes met across Yumiwa’s shoulder. And the wyvern found that behind the current pain, there was a storm looking back at her, kept in check until the time was right to unleash it upon those deserving of its fury.

Just then, Zafin took a step forward, a brief glance from the empress to the Toa, before settling on speaking instead of ideatalk for the benefit of the Maru.

“Apologies for the interruption, your majesty, but Toa Maru Korero is asking for permission to come aboard.”

IC: Long Dihunai [Ga-Koro, The Yukanna]

Through the briefest of glances, the warrior could tell that her distaste for the Maru's initial apology was more obvious than she thought. Was this a lapse in self control? Dihunai would have to examine that later. If she had developed a 'tell' that was so apparent to a foreigner, then perhaps the voyage had dulled her defenses. A concerning thought given her history.

"Maru, your apologies, well-intentioned as they are, are of no use to me..." Yumiwa began, causing the Tajaar behind her to metaphorically blink yet again. Assessing and prioritizing based purely on how to move forward instead of lingering on the past... this wasn't the overwhelmed Menti that Dihunai had seen panicking in the bulkheads of the ship earlier that day.

Even if this Toa had failed to prevent the calamity, Yumiwa using her to gather information was an effective plan. It lacked oversight from Kentokan parties - too much trust, too little verification for Dihunai's taste - but given the circumstances, that risk was Yumiwa's to accept. Dihunai was oddly satisfied by the outcome of this meeting so far.

Her gaze shifted to the next stranger. He seemed greener than his teammate, in multiple respects.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)