BZPRPG - Ta-Wahi

IC:

"Likewise here— no dice with them today." Jolek conferred, folding his arms with a grimace of dissatisfaction. They didn't ring a bell. Yellowed teeth, slight limp, missing digits on the right hand, spine modified... none of it. Hadn't heard of any "Ash Lads", either, so they clearly weren't they types that picked up notoriety easily— that, or nobody wanted to call them by their self-decided moniker.

Unfortunate, really— self-determination like that was... hrm. Huh. Kind of...

Enviable.

"Yeah, no weirder spines than the usual..." he murmured softly, having been in the same recruitment wave as more than a few. 

What would that compensate for, anyway?

A ...small spine? Does he get attacked from behind a lot? They might be easy to sneak up on, in that case... That reminds me, actually.

"I set up some snare traps in the Forest at first light before reporting in this morning, though. I can keep an eye out when I double back for them once I'm off-duty. Takes some experience to move through all the smoked out wood quietly, so I've a pretty good shot of hearing these guys before they do me."

Ashy soil was very fine, and thus quiet, but the vegetation was almost permanently desiccated. You needed to go lean, and with a light step. Very similar to Le-Wahi, but definitely also very different. Tough to explain, but after this much time, second nature.

To teach is to know. If you seek to follow the Way assiduously, become familiar with both. It is our Way to have a taste for both—

Sword and Pen.

"Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt a big, burly fella nursing a limp is going to be able to keep a step light enough to avoid snapping some branch-fall. The Mangai's ash is soft, but it hides a lot of twigs since it's usually carried downwind."

He nodded now, more sure of the idea. It lined up almost perfectly— grab dinner and maybe catch a show. Suddenly, the afternoon was looking up.

Edited by Razgriz

helo frens

OOC: Jaller to follow later.

IC:

Saeva flashed her pal a thumbs up, tossed a couple widgets on her table, and pivoted for the door. There was a spring back in her step, an outpouring of positive energy as the dynamo was given an outlet to burn off some restlessness at last. Outside the Magma Lounge wasn't peeeeerfect, but it would work fine. Even with those new RRF folks it'd take a while for anyone to really want to respond to a street fight outside the Lounge. There were almost always more important things to do. Like count how many bricks were in one of the city walls.

Long as she wasn't breaking anything who cares?

"Aaaaalright, Sparky," The Ta-Toa proclaimed, doing a one-eighty in place to face her opponent sparring partner. "Know the rules?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC: Torana - Ta-Koro, outside the Magma Lounge

“No weapons, no powers, no kanohi, no below-the-belt stuff...” The Vo-Toa hefted her Yari in preparation to toss it to Erzu, but changed her mind at the last minute and turned it over in her hands, brushing some ash off of the polearm.

“Unless you really wanna spar.”

IC: Sir Dahkapa (Ta-Koro Guard Prison)

After a long time spent waiting within a cell, Dahkapa was finally taken out to be interrogated. The guards responsible explained that the questioning had been delayed due to the guard being busy with the liberation of Ko-Koro, but now that it was free they could take care of "less important tasks". Dahkapa was upset that he wasn't able to participate in the fight, or even provide any valuable intelligence beforehand. But, at the very least, he should finally be able to go free.

The interrogation was a relatively quick affair compared to his detainment. The guardswoman asked about the events of the First Battle of Ko-Koro, his conversion into a cultist, information on other members of the cult, what had happened after the Brotherhood got kicked out of Ko-Koro and so on. He answered every question honestly, revealing every detail he knew. The guard was surprised about how open he was. Despite becoming a worshipper of Ak'rei'an, his honourable principles remained.

At the end, it was his turn to ask questions. He asked about the Second Battle of Ko-Koro, and if the servants of Makuta had been slaughtered to the last man and woman. Unfortunately, many of them had escaped, much to his disappointment. It looked like his personal crusade would have to continue. The taint of the Dark Spirit had to be cleansed from this island, once and for all.

He was given back his items and warned that the Guard would keep an eye on him. If he did anything even slightly suspicious, he'd be arrested again. Dahkapa responded with a dry chuckle and reassured them that as a Toa, he had sworn to never break the laws of the land. With that, he walked outside and breathed in the acrid air of the volcano-city.

It smelled like freedom.

OOC: @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva) nows your chance to interact with him

Edited by Daniel the Finlander

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

14 hours ago, Silvan Haven said:

IC: Loren - Ta-Koro - Lavapool Inn Memorial

"Sorry ma'am, nobody fitting those descriptions has come up on the Guard's radar recently. Where are you staying? If there's a sighting while you're in town I'll send you a runner."

7 hours ago, Razgriz said:

IC:

"I set up some snare traps in the Forest at first light before reporting in this morning, though. I can keep an eye out when I double back for them once I'm off-duty. Takes some experience to move through all the smoked out wood quietly, so I've a pretty good shot of hearing these guys before they do me."

Ashy soil was very fine, and thus quiet, but the vegetation was almost permanently desiccated. You needed to go lean, and with a light step. Very similar to Le-Wahi, but definitely also very different. Tough to explain, but after this much time, second nature.

To teach is to know. If you seek to follow the Way assiduously, become familiar with both. It is our Way to have a taste for both—

Sword and Pen.

"Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt a big, burly fella nursing a limp is going to be able to keep a step light enough to avoid snapping some branch-fall. The Mangai's ash is soft, but it hides a lot of twigs since it's usually carried downwind."

He nodded now, more sure of the idea. It lined up almost perfectly— grab dinner and maybe catch a show. Suddenly, the afternoon was looking up.

IC: Zelvin (Ta-Koro)

"That's all fine, officers, thank you regardless" Zelvin answered to Loren first, before Jolek spoke up.

Jolek was a resourceful fellow, no doubt about that. Zelvin allowed a nod of approval to slip through her facade of detached professionalism. She wasn't going to get further with them when it came to information, but they had given her plenty to go on, or rather, Jolek had.

"Some help would be greatly appreciated, Jolek. There are two of them, after all. I don't suppose you'd mind a companion when you go to check your snares?"

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: [Agni - Ta-Koro, Guard HQ, Jallers Office]

A few quiet moments passed as Agni waited for Jaller’s response to his estimate.

“I am sure Akiri Hahli has messengers on the way. But with the recent uptake in hostile Rahi and Rahkshi activity...I can go check the situation out if you’d like, cap-Akiri.” he caught himself.

“Though in that case, there’s one other stop I have to make first before heading out.”

OOC: @Krayzikk

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

IC:

"If you can move through the thicket quietly, sure. Knock yourself out." he replied, less than committal but more the rejecting. He did hope she wasn't going to try and swipe one of his catches when he wasn't looking, though... not want for most material possessions as he may have been, he still bristled at the thought of food being taken from him rather than given by him— as one would assume most did, in fairness.

But, that at least wasn't something he'd lifted from somebody else, right? That feeling, however unnecessary (she could clearly pay for her own meals if she was working this long as a mercenary), came from his own head.

Don't get much outta that.

"I probably oughta get back to my route soon." he said dispassionately. "Was nice to catch up. Anything else I should hear about before I dip?"

helo frens

IC:

A beat.

"Well, only if you promise not to stab me with that thing. I got a blunt edge, y'know, but that thing ain't."

IC:

"More than I expected." Jaller stayed silent a moment longer, mulling it over, then nodded. "I hear a telegram coming through, probably from Hahli. I'll work the Dasakan issue, if you have something you want to check out regarding the Rahkshi by all means. Just stay safe."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

1 hour ago, Razgriz said:

IC:

"I probably oughta get back to my route soon." he said dispassionately. "Was nice to catch up. Anything else I should hear about before I dip?"

"I'll just need to know when you get off duty, and where it suits you to meet up. The Koro gate itself seems as good a place as any," Zelvin answered,  "and you've got yourself a deal. If we succeed, you're welcome to half of the reward for bringing them in, should you desire it. I can afford to pay upfront"

Zelvin knew the value of being honest when doing business. Put simply, there was no point in making more enemies than you had to in her line of work.

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC:

"Suits me fine. I've another four hours to go." he chuffed, "So long as you know your way around a hunt, I'll play ball."

He didn't see any reason she didn't deserve a paycheck, given that this all appeared (as far as he knew) above-board. The only potential sticking point was how she handled herself on the prowl. He knew how to conceal his own presence pretty well by now, and he knew how certain others moved— but given that he'd never remembered her trying to creep upon the Six on that fateful day, she was something of a mystery.

He would see how it shook out.

Edited by Razgriz

helo frens

“Hmm...” She examined the Yari’s blade, the hazy orange Ta-Koro lamplight casting fiery reflections off its polished edges. Finally she turned to Erzu, flipping the Yari over and extending the blunt side towards him, palms upturned underneath the handle and fingers open.

“Trade you.”

IC:

"Give her my best, as always." Jaller nodded. "I may be busy for a while here. I trust your judgement if something comes up, and Angel's if you need instructions from the top. He can handle it in my absence."

• Like 1

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: Joskander (Ta-Koro streets)

Joskander breathed in the acrid air of the volcano city.

It smelled like death.

Not for the first time, he wondered how anyone tolerated life on the slopes of the Mangai.  Toxic fumes and smoke wafted down from the peak and clogged the lungs, ash fell like a midwinter snow, the very stones beneath his feet hurt to trod upon...  He'd only been back for five minutes, and already he was feeling more than a little miserable.  The fortress itself was a miracle of engineering, certainly, and Joskander would never speak ill of it to its people, but he would never, ever want to call it home.

But then again, Joskander didn't really like calling anywhere a home.  For a Toa, he supposed, he really was too fragile...

The people he passed in the streets days didn't look all that content themselves, of course, but Joskander sincerely doubted that was because of the climate.  There was a tension in the city's mood that hadn't been there a few weeks ago, even when Ko was being gutted by cultists and thieves and murderers.  People were keeping their heads down, or shuffling down the streets with just a touch more urgency than normal.  The constant chatter of urban life felt muted, or muffled, as if everyone was suddenly just a little more afraid that someone was listening.

Joskander shared that unease.  Something had changed all those weeks ago, something powerful, something fundamental, yet maddeningly unknowable.  Gut instincts were hard to put into words, and this one felt particularly inscrutable, but he knew just from looking at the faces around him that it was an instinct the whole island shared.

He had planned to visit the Ta-Koro dungeons that day- to visit Dahkapa, the Toa he had left behind when Ko fell.  But then something had changed, and Joskander's plans changed with it.  He went with Charek for those supplies in Onu, and then the two rode that fancy new elevator up to Ihu and never looked back- until now.

He had abandoned Dahkapa twice now, by his reckoning.  Today, he was going to make up for tha-

Wait.

A white Hau out of the corner of his eye.

Don't tell me...

Toa of Ice.  White armor, blue eyes and limbs.  Warhammer.  Cape was new, and Joskander was pretty sure his heartlight hadn't been purple the first time he'd seen him, but...

He's out of prison?  Is he not a cultist anymore?  Did he get broken out or something?  When did this happen?

...does he remember me?

Man...  Just my luck that I'd just frigging run into him five minutes after getting here.  No way to prepare, no controlled environment...  Not that I don't expect to screw all this up anyways.

Joskander closed his eyes, sighed deeply.

Then his face hardened, and he started making his way over to Dahkapa.

Clearly, he'd put this meeting off long enough.  If he didn't do this now...

"Hey.  Dahkapa.  Brother.  That you?"

OOC: @Daniel the Finlander 

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

IC:

Red frowned. He was always happy to see Saeva Sareta, his tempestuous idol, throw down hard and slam til something jammed. But Torana was his friend too, and it didn't feel right to want her to get beat up. If only there was some way to prove his loyalty to both of them, or to offer his own body as a weapon...he'd gladly rip off an arm, use it, then hack off the second to give one each to his friends.

But that would probably gross Torana out, and Saeva would only try to bench the limbs. Red would need to find a more impartial way to help. Maybe using his natural foghorn voice for ringmaster purposes?

"COME ON, GET THOSE BETS IN"

-Tyler

• Like 2

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC:

A single hand deftly plucked the yari from her grasp, its twin tossing in return a bamboo shinai. No edge to speak of, and relatively lightweight, it still provided enough ommph  through speed and leverage alone to contend well enough in most sparring contexts. Saeva and Torana, huh? Well, the latter was something of an unknown— he hadn't seen her get into too many scraps as of yet, but Saeva he knew very well— as the other half of one of his three two unsettled scores, he'd probably be trading wins and losses with her until they both dropped. She was an archetypal firespitter, all grit, spunk, and ferocity even when she lost out on technique.

When it came to street fights, only her experience was equal, maybe even exceeding his own. That seasoned veteran status was an intangible every bit as important as skill in his eyes— a brawl was a thing you needed to know inside and out, if you wanted a prayer of applying technique. Did Tor have it? He had no idea.

"COME ON, GET THOSE BETS IN"

Oh hey, that could be fun.

"10 widgets on Sparky. I'm feelin' a little wild."

A kakama and a cool head could get you places already, and that didn't even take into account that she knew Saeva. Definitely interesting, but on the other hand...

He offered the massive Onu-Toa a fist. Handshakes were too stiff for their types.

"You game?"

He knew he couldn't make him bet against his hero.

Edited by Razgriz

helo frens

IC: Sir Dahkapa (Ta-Koro)

He was walking down the streets leading away from the Guard HQ and its prisons, headed to the cable car station so he could return back home to Ko-Koro. But on the way, someone called out his name. He stopped and slowly turned to face the stranger, only to realize it was no stranger after all. For some reason he appeared familiar to him.

He narrowed his eyes as he looked at the fellow Toa. "Yes, that is me. And who may you be?" Memories of the First Battle of Ko-Koro, before his conversion, flashed in his mind. He remembered this Toa lying on the ground as the battle seemed lost.

"I think I may have seen you before."

OOC: @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

It’d been a long, long time since she’d wielded a short blade, and she was definitely rusty with anything other than her old polearm; Saeva’d definitely have the advantage here... but Torana was quicker - she at least knew that. Let’s see how this goes.

Turning the shinai over in her hands, Torana ran her palm over the length of the “blade,” feeling the texture of the grain. She twirled her wrist around, sussing out the balance of the weapon before settling into a low stance, left hip forward and both hands on the grip, the tip of the shinai pointed square at Saeva’s head.

Deep breath in. Deep breath out.

“Let’s do it.”

IC:

Saeva laughed at the shout, planting her feet wide and stretching. The Ta-Toa pushed her shoulder blades together ad arched her back until she felt the muscles loosen up to her satisfaction. She had a moment while Tor swapped out her weapon and another while she settled herself into a proper stance. That was the bit that made her laugh; not because it was bad, but Saeva Sareta had never used a proper ready stance in her life. She pulled out her own sword, taking a moment to make sure its blunt sheathe was properly attached. No sense in letting it fly off and accidentally stabbing the girl herself. That just wouldn't do.

She swung it experimentally once, twice, and then it wasn't a test. She stepped in with her right and swung down with the same, laughing like a maniac.

"Leeee-eeee-eeet's go!"

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: Joskander (Ta-Koro)

"I think I may have seen you before."

"...you have."

Joskander forced himself to look at Dahkapa.  Was that a dark edge in the Ko-Toa's voice he heard, or was he imagining it?  The fall of Ko-Koro had been so long ago now...  but he was pretty sure that Dahkapa, during their brief interactions, hadn't sounded quite so grim, even while a city burned around them.

Still, he sounded... stable.  Probably.  Joskander wasn't necessarily the best judge for these things.

"I..."  Joskander paused, sifting through his brain for the right words.  He had questions, many questions, but now was by far the last time he wanted to run his mouth.  He'd come here for a reason.  Better to get straight to the point.  No excuses.  No questions.

"I want to apologize," he said.  "I was at Ko-Koro when it fell.  I fought alongside you and another Toa for a little while, and then-"

I got shot up.  They chased me off.  I was too scared.  I didn't mean it.

Joskander bit the words back.

"-I ran.  I ran away and left you behind."

And there it was.  He squeezed his eyes shut and took a deep, shuddering breath he hadn't realized he needed.

"I should have stayed.  I should have carried you out of there, wounded or not-" no don't say that that's not important "-because I'm a Toa, and I swore an oath long ago to protect my comrades at all costs."  He opened his eyes again and stared back into Dahkapa's.  "I can't take back that mistake, but if there's anything I can do for you now..."

Do you really want to finish that sentence? some part of Joskander asked.  What if he asks you to give up your code?  What if he asks you to fight for his cultists against Mata Nui?  What if he asks you to die?

He bit that back too.

"...then I'm here to help.  As much as I can."

OOC: @Daniel the Finlander

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Karz she’s faster than I remem-

She brought the shinai up to meet the downward arc of Saeva’s sheathed blade, deflecting it to her left as she broke her two-handed grip and hopped a couple steps to the right and back, bringing her own weapon back up to bear as she made some room between the two of them.

The lightweight shinai was no match for the sheer mass of Saeva’s sword when it came to blocking like that. Attrition was not going to cut it.

Attrition alone never cut it.

She took another step back, shifting the position of her feet and loosening up her knees a bit. Grinning, she opened her guard up, shinai still held with one hand.

“Come on, Sareta, you can hit harder than that!

Edited by Perp

On 9/2/2021 at 11:54 PM, Razgriz said:

IC:

"Suits me fine. I've another four hours to go." he chuffed, "So long as you know your way around a hunt, I'll play ball."

"No problem, Jolek. Moving quietly is part of the job description" Zelvin answered back, she nodded, and turned to be on her way, "I'll see you then"

"delightful to meet the young mr. Highwind again" she thought to herself. The young Fa-Toa was indeed looking quite sharp, physically at the very least. She got to overhear some of the talk he had with his commanding officer, but she wasn't going to pry. For the moment, she was actually quite content to let such matters lie. She was back to work, and she had some standards to hold to.

Four hours, that'd be plenty of time to take a few stops to make sure she was going in fully prepared. There were a few things she'd need to pick up.

OOC: timeskip in my next post

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Dahkapa listened quietly as the Toa spoke, his mask showing little of his emotions. More memories of the battle resurfaced. He had been furious at Brontes

"Do not worry, you are not the only one who left me behind. But at least you are apologizing for your actions, instead of trying to explain away your mistake. Perhaps Ak'rei'an may yet grant you redemption." He stepped closer and placed a hand on his shoulder. "All I need help with is with the only thing that matters. The eternal crusade against the servants of darkness. It is the duty of all true Toa, no matter who they worship."

He moved the hand away and turned to look westward. "I was heading to Ko-Koro, to see my home now that it has been liberated from evil. You may accompany me if you wish, but I am afraid there are no pawns of Makuta to fight against any more."

After staring into the distance for a moment, he faced Joskander again. "I do not think I ever found out your name during the chaos of that battle. What is it, if I may ask?"

OOC:@Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

"Toa Joskander, at your service."  For the first time in a long while, a genuine smile began creeping back to the Le-Toa's face.  "And sure, I'll come with you.  I've been spending most of my time helping the resistance at Ihu, so you probably know Ko-Koro better than I do."

The smile faded somewhat.  "Besides, the only business I've really got here is chewing out Brontes," he grumbled, "and from what I've heard, you've already had that particular conversation yourself."

OOC: @Daniel the Finlander

Edited by Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)

IC:

And off she went. 

Guess that's settled, then.

"Catch ya later, then, Loren." he said, turning to the older De-Toa with another salute, this time a little more mindful of keeping the motion crisp. Gotta give it all an earnest shot. "Enjoy the day off. I won't keep you."

He took a breath, making sure his bearing was reset. The reverie and reprieve were nice for sure, but if he walked off in the same chilled-out frame of mind he might have missed something. Wouldn't be able to do this job correctly. He could keep track of a lot even like that— a lot of hunting was practically instinct by now— but the projection of alertness was also paramount. He'd had that hammered in in the training courses— if eyes are on you, you're less likely to commit to something heinous. That was how they'd displayed it. A lax guard lead to more perception of being able to get away with stuff, no matter how wrong it may be.

Maybe that's why there were so many of them patrolling or standing around. Gotta look tough, overtly and everywhere, so nobody gets any ideas.

Alright, then.

Edited by Razgriz

helo frens

17 hours ago, Perp said:

Karz she’s faster than I remem-

She brought the shinai up to meet the downward arc of Saeva’s sheathed blade, deflecting it to her left as she broke her two-handed grip and hopped a couple steps to the right and back, bringing her own weapon back up to bear as she made some room between the two of them.

The lightweight shinai was no match for the sheer mass of Saeva’s sword when it came to blocking like that. Attrition was not going to cut it.

Attrition alone never cut it.

She took another step back, shifting the position of her feet and loosening up her knees a bit. Grinning, she opened her guard up, shinai still held with one hand.

“Come on, Sareta, you can hit harder than that!

IC:

"Course I can!" The Ta-Toa laughed again, louder with the deflection of her strike. Torana hopped back but Saeva moved forward, practically bouncing on her toes, coming in low and fast. Not to swing her weapon, but pushing off hard to try and catch Tor's midsection with her shoulder and wrap her open left arm around. Not because it was the smartest thing to do, but because it seemed awful fun. 

Besides, it wasn't fair to keep swinging away. Tor's bamboo sword wasn't a fair matchup for hers, even with the sheathe. So what if she handicapped herself a little?

fK5oqYf.jpg

Bull, meet flag.

While Torana was expecting another strike from Saeva’s sheathed blade, a tackle worked even better.

Prepared this time, her legs snapped straight as she pushed herself aside, the angle of her stance carrying her out of the way of Saeva’s charge. At the same time, she brought the shinai up in a one-handed strike as Saeva shot by, aimed squarely at the Ta-Toa’s ribs.

As long as she was having fun.

Edited by Perp

Dahkapa smiled too, until Brontes' name was mentioned. "Yes, I did. But while I was incarcerated, I pondered that I may have been too hard on him. He was trying to help with the evacuation of civilians. Perhaps I should even be thankful to him. Without his help, I was defeated, captured and converted to the true faith. Maybe if he hadn't been a coward I would've never seen the warm light of Ak'rei'an." He let out a dry chuckle. "Amusing how Destiny works sometimes, is it not?"

He glanced at a nearby Ta-Koro guard who had been keeping an eye on him the whole time. "In any case, let us leave Ta-Koro, then. I do not like being watched." His cape swirled as he turned to walk towards the cable car station in the distance.

OOC: dahkapa to ko-wahi.

@Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

Joskander bit his lip as he watched Dahkapa stride away.  For the most part, the Toa seemed remarkably peaceful and sociable...  but every remark he made about Ak'rei'an made the Le-Toa twitch.

Perhaps he would need to ask him about what it meant to "see the light" eventually...  preferably without having to do so himself.

Joskander shrugged.  Then, sparing the guard a sheepish wave, he followed Dahkapa to the cable car.

OOC: Joskander to Ko-Wahi.

IC:

oof

Sooo, fast. Taking masks out of the equation had taken out her Kadin but she'd kind of expected removing Tor's Kakama to even things up pretty well. Turns out Sparky was slippery. But that was okay. So far she'd been pretty happy to be the lumbering, obvious bull; it was a fight for fun, what did it matter if she took a few hits? But she could be pleeeeeenty sneaky herself. Like now. She moved with the impact and planted the hand that she'd planned to grab Tor with, and used the moment of her charge to sweep her legs around to hopefully sweep Tor off hers. 

She was better with a sword than she'd expected, but she was pretty sure once she was on the ground she'd have the upper hand.

fK5oqYf.jpg

It was only by mere inches that she’d been able to dodge out of the way of Saeva’s charge and deliver her own blow, and doing so had put her off balance as she adjusted her stance to her new position. What she wasn’t counting on was for Saeva to improvise, swinging her legs back around to sweep Torana’s when she was still regaining her footing - the hit connected and the Vo-Toa began to topple.

But let it be known that Torana Avaliona, slippery ###### as she was and daughter of the Le-Wahi jungle, was not one to fall ungracefully. Rather than stumble over, she allowed herself to fall sideways, catching the ground with shoulder and hands, executing her roll and re-planting both legs on the ground, pushing herself up with her other hand as she raised her head to get eyes back on the Ta-Toa.

OOC: A bit of actual character introspection at last

IC: Zelvin (Ta-Kini)

Zelvin had taken the opportunity after making her agreement with Jolek to make a quick excursion. In reality she didn't need to spend any more time collecting supplies and preparing herself materially for the mission she was on. Spiritually, however, she still had something outstanding to attend to.

The old woman was quite familiar with all of the regional temples that were spread across the island, paired off with a Koro each. She personally found them more interesting than the great Kini-Nui itself. Their distinctive styles and slightly narrower uses made them more interesting, more characterful.

Zelvin didn't consider herself a particularly devoted individual. Mata Nui and Makuta were supremely powerful beings, no doubt about it, but that was something many others could claim, as well. "Might makes Right" was far too crude a philosophy for her tastes. Spirituality to her meant something a bit more esoteric than simply wondering what the Great Spirit wanted for her life. After all, what use could a sleeping God be?

Becoming a Toa was something Zelvin never expected, not that she minded it, of course, but she had to wonder how worthwhile the Great Spirit's judgement was when it lead to someone like her gaining this power. She would be the first to admit that she didn't make it a habit to walk in the path of the light. Why did she become a Toa, then?

Zelvin had thought it over many times, less and less as the years went by. The blunt truth was that she only had one answer to that question, and she had learned to be okay with the fact that the only answer she had was "I don't know"

She approached the altar of the temple, in her hand something sparkly caught the light of the dancing flames that lit the chamber all around her. A small crystal, fashioned by her powers into the shape of a Great Kaukau. The Mask of someone she wished for the fates to be kind to, if they were even listening. It was perhaps a touch meaningless and a little bit silly to leave shiny trinkets for someone she wasn't even sure would appreciate them, but that was okay, Zelvin could afford to permit herself that little luxury.

She left the temple to head back into town. It was time to meet up with Jolek and get to work.

OOC: @Razgriz

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC:

Saeva crowed as a move connected at last, despite the new ache in her ribs. Tor recovered gracefully but it was a recovery and for those brief moments she had the advantage to press. She finished popping back to her feet, electing to leave her blade on the ground entirely, about the same time that Tor was making contact with the ground. By the time she was coming to her feet Saeva had closed the distance with a few quick steps. Sparky's head came up—

—And her eyes spied a quick, solid right cross sliding towards her left cheek from a Ta-Toa low and solid on her feet.

fK5oqYf.jpg

She had her. No question.

Tor had nary a moment to stabilize herself before Saeva was on her, stupid grin still plastered on her face and having the time of her life. The least Torana could do was pay her back, blow for blow. As Saeva’s fist swung towards her face, Tor swung the shinai up into-

Wait.

The shinai wasn’t in her hand anymore.

Her brain registered the bamboo weapon on the ground a couple feet away - inadvertently dropped during her roll - a microsecond before impact.

⭒  ✦  ⭒

⭒     ✦ ☆    ✦ ⭒ ☆  ⭒

⭒   ☆        OW       ☆   ⭒

⭒  ☆  ⭒ ✦    ☆ ✦     ⭒

⭒  ✦  ⭒

The hit sent her stumbling away, but luckily she managed to stay standing, albeit shakily. She took a few more steps backward and instinctively raised her arms to guard against further strikes as she started to regain her composure and clarity of vision.

Edited by Perp

IC:

Ding ding ding!

Saeva giggled as the hit went home. Not full force, naturally; enough to ring Sparky's bell a little, obviously, but they were playing. Of course she was pulling her punches. Buuuut Red did put ten widgets on her, she couldn't let him lose them to a monkey! Tor recovered quickly, slippery one she was, but she figured wrong on where the follow-up would go. She advanced a couple steps even as Tor stumbled back and instead shot a sidekick towards her friend's midriff. 

Better to keep her unsteady!

fK5oqYf.jpg

The stars orbiting her vision began to fade, and Saeva drew nearer. Torana, still not ready to strike back just yet, relaxed her legs, ready to duck out of the way when the next blow came. She didn’t have to wait very long, as Saeva braced herself and delivered her kick.

Whoa there!

Leaning back as well as her spine could allow, her forward foot left the ground for a split second as Saeva’s kick passed her torso by a hair’s breadth. But Tor-

What was it her brother had told her all those years ago?

“Find yourself a girl and settle down…”

No, that wasn’t it.

“Keep yourself steady, Tor.”

That was the one.

Alright, Sareta, you got your wish. Let me return the favour...

Pushing her weight back forward, her forward foot once again contacted the cobblestones underneath, her forward momentum anchoring her there - “Steady, Tor!” - as she leaned forward and delivered a right cross, leveled at her friend’s face. 

Blow for blow.

IC:

oop, too flashy

Her foot came back down around the same time Tor's did, and her weight was centered on her back foot. Naturally, she had just finished a kick. Their center of gravities were in the same compass direction, albeit inverted from their perspectives. Something Saeva was perfectly willing to work with. Her arms had been pretty well at her waist for the kick and that stood her in reasonably good stead now; her left arm rose, her forearm catching Tor's from below and forcing the punch high. 

Then she leaned in a little, distributed her weight a little more evenly, and took a quick jab at Tor's ribs with her right. Best way to try and repay her for the way hers were hurting like helI.

fK5oqYf.jpg

Her strike deflected, Torana shifted her weight again as she countered with a left hook to Saeva’s ribs - exactly the same side and target of Saeva’s strike to her own, at exactly the same time. The two Toa’s arms tangled upon each other, Saeva’s punch impacting weakly and Torana’s own interrupted and slipping past its target.

Improvising, she opted to grapple instead, her left arm reaching behind Saeva as her right came back down and took its own shot at the Ta-Toa’s midsection.

Edited by Perp