BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi

IC: Xaruthan (Dragon Nest)

While the other two bickered, I disappeared into the adjoining 'storage cave' as Aclaraung put it - it was more just another chamber much like the rest, only filled with piles of mostly useless and entirely disused detritus. I picked out a sort of metal disc that looked like it might work as a sort of pan, and managed to find a sack of coals. Then I returned to the Mahi and, setting down my things, extended my index finger. A thin beam of energy shot out, and sliced cleanly through the hip of the creature. Its leg fell stiffly onto the metal disc 'pan'.

I picked it and the sack of coals up again. "Care to join me on the veranda, Aru? As you can see, there's a... Wonderful meal in store," I soughed as I left the cave, my voice still hoarse, shooting a sideways glance at Aclaraung on my way out.

Edited by Wotz

IC: Safina - Ko-Wahi Dark Walk

The left arm of her suit raised as requested, bringing the fullness of shadow back into the void to their front, as the jagged roof of the cavern overhead became illuminated by her torch. Shriveled, gnarled roots jutting through the stone and soil cast harsh shadows that played along the contours of their backdrop as the light wavered and the angle changed. It was another curiosity among many that seemed to make up the general irreverence for the rules of nature ever so common to these accursed caverns.

She let the light linger there for a moment longer for the others to study it, hoping that the Onu-Toa astride her was peering into the darkness ahead.

OOC: @Leaf @Krayzikk @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva) @Goose @ARROW404

NPC: The Lieutenant

"Mmm?"

The Lieutenant's eyes drew upward to the plant he had illuminated before, then he chuckled slightly. "Little need for panic, I assure you. Our contact is a Bo-Toa, he left that plant for us as a marker, in the hopes it would escape the notice of those not looking for it. Good vigilance, however, things out of the ordinary like that will likely be the source of trouble."

No such thing as destiny.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC: Ir'rask (Ko-Wahi, Arriving at Obsidian Outpost)

The travel was swift and easy over the snowy terrain, with them truly used to the area. If challenged, a part of them didn't doubt they could have navigated one end of Ko-Wahi to the other blind. Eventually though, they spotted the monorail that led to the place they were searching for, and going parallel to it, eventually spotted the Obsidian Outpost. They didn't like places like that, they were too crowded, too loud, too fake...But they were safe and could offer them the shelter and food they needed. They just needed to bare through it.

With a trail of snow prints marking the way they came, Ir'rask reached the outer edges of the village, slipping inside the perimeter as to avoid any unwanted attention. They didn't want trouble and they knew trouble was what people thought he brought, for whatever reason. But he didn't care what people thought, all he cared about was a place to rest.

On 10/4/2021 at 6:03 PM, Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva) said:

Btw try typing a bit of the name of whoever you're tagging, deleting it while leaving the @, and retyping the name with the first letter in a different case than what you used before.  That usually works for me when tagging starts acting up, which happens pretty much every time I do it!

OoC: I tried, but it didn't work. Thanks for trying though.

On 10/6/2021 at 2:19 AM, Perp said:

IC: Safina - Ko-Wahi Dark Walk

She let the light linger there for a moment longer for the others to study it, hoping that the Onu-Toa astride her was peering into the darkness ahead.

IC: Kehuri

He did indeed. He tried to be quick, only lingering a moment before going back to his job, not wanting to leave them vulnerable for more than a few seconds. Seeing nothing of particular interest at the moment, he returned to his vigil, alert for anything out of the ordinary.

Edited by ARROW404

BZPRPG Profiles
If I go AWOL for a while, feel free to contact me via Discord

17 hours ago, Goose said:

IC: Learu (Dragon Nest)

Learu looked at Aclaraung as she got up to join Xar, abandoning her line of questioning for now. "Was he always this chipper?"

IC:

"I wouldn't know," Aclaraung replied. "By the time I met him separate from the others, he was already predisposed towards grimness, brooding, and the like." He peered at the direction Xaruthan had walked out, head cocked quizzically. "There should be forks, knives, actual pans, and the like in there, if you care to hunt any of them down, though you should probably wash them before use. Some of the scum that stumbled in here after running from the retribution they deserved in Ko-Koro had quite a bit on their backs, and I was loathe to waste any of it when I dealt with the bodies."

He dug his claws into the shoulder of his Mahi, but stopped before tearing out a chunk of meat. "Also, I intend to leave for Ga-Koro once I'm finished eating, so hopefully you won't need me for the rest of the day."

Edited by Pteronura Brasiliensis

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

...then I was outside, igniting the coals, the heat from within me shooting as steam out of my nostrils. I had no kind of grease or oil to lubricate the pan, and the meat kept sticking. In hindsight, I realised I should have looked a little more thoroughly for usable utensils and such. Pan frying an entire leg of Mahi meat is far from being my finest moment. But I was hungry, and the hunger brought frustration and rash thinking - I hadn't eaten in literally years.

I looked over my shoulder to see if Aru had followed me outside.

:i::c: - Akiri Tarkhan’s office

Korzaa steeled herself, stepped forward and raised one of her ice tablets to read from. To her horror, she saw it was slick with water, beginning to melt in the warmth of Tarkahn’s office. She silently cursed herself for her foolishness. She had assumed anywhere she went in the village would be cold enough to keep these tablets solid, forgetting about foreign climate of her leader’s office. 

Keeping her composure, she hurriedly scanned her notes, which were growing difficult to read as water pooled in the grooves of her circular lettering. Not wanted to make a scene about it, she pressed forward and started to speak.

“Thank you for your consideration, Akiri,” she started, trying to remember the precise order of the points she had prepared for the meeting, “I think there are a number of security concerns to keep in mind.”

“Firstly,” she squinted at her shiny tablet, “There is the ability of our village to support new inhabitants. We have never turned away fellow villagers historically, although we have never made special considerations to encourage immigration here either. The cold and the austere lifestyle has kept most foreigners out, but that has, of course, changed in recent times.” She nodded at Tarkahn and the Kalta, proof that the Koro was now home to many non-native villagers. “Of course, Ko-Koro has never seen a massive influx of refugees before. This is… unprecedented.”

“Logistically, I believe it is certainly possible to house some of the newcomers in the areas of the city still battle scarred. They’d have employment — re-building these areas — and housing, once they had built it for themselves. It wouldn’t be comfortable, or easy, but they’d have a place to live and way to earn a living. It would be expensive and logistically demanding, but I believe we are capable of stretching ourselves to accept a modest amount of refugees.”

“Doing so would create two problems, however: firstly, we would have less resources for guard work, as we will have to spend soldiers to help protect and settle the Dasaka. This will leave us slightly more vulnerable to an unexpected attack. The second is the nature of the Dasaka themselves. Personally, I know nothing about them, and lack of information is usually how security fails. What do they want? How do their mind powers work? Are they capable of hurting other villages, purposefully or accidentally? Can they shape our memories and our wills? How would we defend ourselves if they are unwilling to see us as equals?”

Korzaa paused, tucking the half melted tablet back under her arm. 

“But I have… one last consideration. You say that these people are here as refugees from the Rahkshi. If this is true, then they are our siblings in the battle against the Makuta. A few months ago our home had been taken by Makuta followers like theirs has been, and all of us were refugees too, settling in places that were strange and uncomfortable to us. It was our allies in Ta-Koro, Ihu-Koro and Le-Koro that led the charge to retake our home, risking their lives for our well-being, because they knew that we are all one people. If we do not remember the principle of Unity and stand united against Makuta, he will surely crush us.” 

As she spoke, she realized she was referring to the great evil as if he were alive again. But if Rahkshi had destroyed an entire island, what other explanation was there? With the ominous unspoken idea hovering over the room, she nodded to Tarkhan.

“You are the Akiri, it is your decision to make. These are my thoughts on the matter.”

:m_o::m_o::c:

@The UltimoScorp @Haman Karn: A Magical Girl @Keeper of Kraata

Edited by Visaru
  • Like 2

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

Aru was slightly behind Xar, having gone first to the 'kitchen', but placed a block of butter against his free hand as he turned around before quickly removing it.

"Gets too cold to cut," she said casually, using a knife in her other hand to cut the slightly-softened butter and drop a sliver onto the pan. "Did my father give you brain damage, or have you always ruined your food?"

Edited by Goose

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

On 10/4/2021 at 5:06 PM, Nato The Whisperer said:

IC: Minnorak - Obsidian Outpost

"Well, I can't blame a man for trying to make a few quick widgets, but I thank you for the warning." 

@Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)

IC: Joskander (Obsidian Outpost)

"Heh.  Thank you for letting us do the do, friend."  Joskander was silent for a moment, fingers absently brushing the underside of his mask, then added, "Say, did you happen to pass a Toa of Ice on the way here?  With a Hau and a cloak?"

OOC: @Nato The Whisperer

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

"I did," he said, nodding. "A strangely friendly fellow for a follower of a death cult."

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

"Friendly," Joskander murmured.  He almost chuckled.  Almost.  "Yeah, that sounds about right.  Is he...  uh..."

Is he what, Joskander?

"Yeah, I dunno what I'm looking for."  He shrugged, then winced as a tiny jolt of pain darted across the back of his shoulder.  "Yeah, the guy was travelling with me, and he wanted to get back to Ko, so I told him to go on without me while I helped with, uh..."  Joskander gestured at Gak's body, now accumulating a fresh layer of snow.  "Y'know, the last time I met Dahkapa was before the cultists got him.  I worry, man.  I'm really friggin' worried."

• Like 1

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

"Ah, I see. He wasn't a willing convert, I take it?" 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Joskander shook his head.  "We..." he said.  "We were there when Ko fell.  I made it out.  He didn't."

"Unfortunate." He knew how it felt to lose people, but what the Toa was describing was something else entirely. To see someone changed, twisted into something they weren't, losing themselves in the process... he couldn't begin to imagine how that would feel. 

"There may be a way to help him," he said, after thinking it over for a moment, "There have been rumours of new arrivals in Ga-Wahi, beings from a distant land who can manipulate the mind. Perhaps their powers can... de-program your friend." 

IC: Savrehn - Ko-Wahi - Somewhere In The Wastes

“Lovely.”

Savrehn pulled his scarf over his mask, trying to guard against the smell of the carcass. In the back of his mind, he wondered if his talk and jokes of Muaka had manifested one of the beasts. He also wondered if the killer of this Hikaki was still nearby, prowling, camoflauged by the storm and dying sunlight. He hoped it would stay on its own path.

“Come across carrion often out here. If it was fresh, then I’d be a lot more concerned. Don’t want to interrupt anything in the middle of a meal.”

Even saying this, he took out one of his ice picks, just in case. He looked at Atamai, holding back from making any quip or comment to the historian. He just wanted to see his reaction to the dead rahi.

OOC: @BULiK@~Xemnas~

• Like 1

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

You can still save him-

Joskander quashed that thought immediately.

"I...  Thank you.  Really.  But I dunno."  He looked up into Minnorak's eyes.  "Someone broke him already.  I don't want to ask someone else to break him again."

That was more biting than I had really intended - the result of my hunger-induced frustration. I glared at the Mahi leg, sizzling idiotically, only half of it able to fit on the 'pan'. I was half-tempted to simply melt it into atoms, clip my wings and throw myself off the mountain. Needless to say, that would have been foolish.

Half-heartedly, I rolled the leg around in the butter a little, frowning.

"Understandable. I wish you luck, whatever you decide to do." 

"Thank you."  Joskander smiled.  "See you around, Outsider."

He gave a short nod, turned around, and jogged back over to Mar.

OOC: @Nato The Whisperer @Geardirector also @Wotz since Kahlynn's still at the outpost I think

IC: Mar (Obsidian Outpost)

Joskander returned while I was in the middle of shoveling snow back onto the corpse now laid to rest. It would have to do, I was in all seriousness just glad to put all of this sudden hullabaloo behind me. It had left a bad taste in my mouth.

"Alright," I spoke up, walking over to the Toa of Air after setting aside my shovel, "that was unpleasant, so I'm not going to dwell on it, or so help me."

Karv sidled up next to me, sizing up Joskander with a curious look and flared nostrils.

"Never got to introduce you two, I suppose," I spoke up, looking between Toa and Kavinika, "this is Karv"

OOC: @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: Minnorak/Kain - Obsidian Outpost

Outsider. He found himself smiling slightly at the Toa's choice of word, spoken without spite or condemnation. It felt good to be known and named again, and for that name to be recognised for something more than the failures of the past. A new beginning, for all of us.

Leaving the visitors to their macabre memorial, Minnorak brushed the snow from himself as best he could, then headed through the double doors that led into the outpost proper.  He could see fresh footprints on the floor leading in towards the hall - evidently the visitors had made themselves at home during his absence - but he wasn't particularly bothered by it. If they'd come to loot the place, they'd no doubt met with disappointment already. There was little of worth left in the outpost, save for Minnorak's own memories... and his hopes for the future. 

He headed downstairs to find the stone door that led to the subterranean sections already unlocked and open. For a fleeting moment, Minnorak hoped he might find Zero or Forger or another lost member of the group waiting to greet him in the meeting room, but what he found instead was the caretaker Kain sprawled, asleep, under the table. An open box and several glass bottles were strewn around him, the last remnants of Draygon's old stash. 

"Wake up," Minnorak growled, nudging the Ta-Matoran with his boot. "We have visitors. You could've greeted them." 

"Not my job," Kain mumbled, belching loudly, "By the way, your mate had an eye for good grog." 

"I could make it your job."

"When you start payin' me, I'll-"

"Done." 

"What do you mean, done?" Kain squirmed his way out from under the table, sudden excitement sobering him slightly. "The Akiri agreed?"

"We're back in business, officially," Minnorak nodded. "Tolls, trade, everything we wanted."

"Hah, I didn't think you had it in you."

"Your faith is truly humbling," Minnorak rolled his eyes, "Now, we need to get to work tidying up this place. There's a lot of work to do."

On 10/5/2021 at 2:28 AM, ARROW404 said:

IC: Priicu - Old Town Ko-Wahi

The librarian took a step back and nodded. Chiseled into a block of ice under the name of the library was the proud accolare: "The most peaceful spot in Ko-Wahi." Not only was it quiet, but it appealed to the Principle of the Koro: Peace. He had to confess, he felt a little patriotic pride in himself. He nodded to the craftsman and handed him the widgets he owed, then bade him goodbye by watching him leave from his doorstep, before stepping back inside.

OoC: Your regular reminder that Ko-Koro has a library.

IC: Vrill [Ko-Koro, Historical District, Wise Man's Archive]

A toa clad in blackened, obsidian-encrusted armor appeared at the threshold to the Wise Man's Archive. Vrill looked at a sign under the business's name.

'The most peaceful spot in Ko-Wahi.' Hmm...

The toa of crystal entered the building and looked around at the walls of tablets, scrolls, and books. There was a Ko-Matoran with a black Ruru waiting inside. Given this was the only other being in the vicinity, it must be the owner. The eponymous 'wise man'.

"Hello," the blank-staring Vrill introduced himself coldly. "I'm looking for copies of public records."

Edited by BULiK

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

"Hey there, big man."  Joskander smiled down at the Karv, making sure to keep his hands behind his back.  He didn't have much experience with Kavinika, but they sure did look like the sort of Rahi that liked to bite people's hands off.

OOC: @Geardirector

4 hours ago, BULiK said:

"Hello," the blank-staring Vrill introduced himself coldly. "I'm looking for copies of public records."

IC: Priicu - The Wise Man's Archive

Wonderful, another seeker of knowledge. He greeted him with the traditional warmth of Ko-Koro, a barely perceptible smile, accompanied by a barely perceptible nod. "Right this way," he responded, leaving his spot at the front desk. They were toward the back, generally being the least attractive publications. "The most recent records are on the shelves," he said, indicating them with his arm. "These go back three years. Older records are in storage, but still accessible and organized if needed."

Edited by ARROW404

BZPRPG Profiles

23 hours ago, Wotz said:

That was more biting than I had really intended - the result of my hunger-induced frustration. I glared at the Mahi leg, sizzling idiotically, only half of it able to fit on the 'pan'. I was half-tempted to simply melt it into atoms, clip my wings and throw myself off the mountain. Needless to say, that would have been foolish.

Half-heartedly, I rolled the leg around in the butter a little, frowning.

Discomfort - guilt, even - nipped at the back of Aru's neck, the feeling of having pushed a little too far. It began to sink in that she had had maybe three or four conversations with Xar that weren't about planning to take down her father, and they were among the few conversations she'd had in general. "I... hrm."

I what? I'm sorry? "S-so I think I went a little too hard on you there. Didn't mean to. First day up is hard enough."

Her teeth were clenched so tight it hurt, but she'd at least said something. There. Grand. Perfect.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

IC:

It was an odd little plant to find in Ko-Wahi. Almost any plant in Ko-Wahi was unusual, beyond the occasional evergreen. But especially this. A Ga-Wahi mangrove, grown and trimmed in a bonsai style and placed at the edge of the tunnel. Skri bent and picked the plant up and tucked it into her pocket, scuffing the floor and dropping a seed in its place. She would be able to find the marker again, especially as it grew steadily into a small, glowing vine. 

The itch between her shoulder-blades only grew.

"Where from here, LT?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

4 hours ago, Void Emissary said:

IC: Plagia | The Dark Walk

"Hey, Kehuri," I whispered, knocking him gently on the shoulder. "You got any of those grenades left?"

IC: Kehuri - Dark Walk

He grinned despite the oppressive atmosphere and nodded. "Of course," he said quietly. Leaning his spear against his shoulder, he loosened the strap to the explosive belt and slipped it from his hip. "They're a little more unwieldy than grenades though. Stronger too," he said, handing it over. "The mechanism is a simple fuse, though hitting them with a lightning bolt directly ought to have about the same effect. And consider their blast radius to be about twice a grenade's- it's industrial grade stuff. No frags to worry about, but you don't want your audio processors and lungs to get blown out." He kept his voice low as he gave her the instructions. This was scary stuff, and he didn't want to make anyone who didn't already trust Plagia's sensibility scared.

BZPRPG Profiles

11 hours ago, ARROW404 said:

IC: Priicu - The Wise Man's Archive

Wonderful, another seeker of knowledge. He greeted him with the traditional warmth of Ko-Koro, a barely perceptible smile, accompanied by a barely perceptible nod. "Right this way," he responded, leaving his spot at the front desk. They were toward the back, generally being the least attractive publications. "The most recent records are on the shelves," he said, indicating them with his arm. "These go back three years. Older records are in storage, but still accessible and organized if needed."

IC: Vrill [Ko-Koro, Historical District, Wise Man's Archive]

Vrill looked almost pleased with the results. At least, by Ko-Koronan standards of body language. He walked past the front desk in confident strides as the Matoran directed him to his target, swiftly arriving at the back shelves. They appeared to be overgrown with documents that were almost designed by committee specifically to be the most bland and unappealing that they possibly could be. The Cy-Toa could tell that this part of the job was going to be horrible, even for himself. Unfortunately, it was the best way to find leads in this instance, even if it risked consuming the analyst entirely.

The detective wouldn't let this case end up like the last. Korzaa deserved better, especially in these times. Ko-Koro needed peace, struck by order, and order was founded on the same methodical willpower that Vrill would need to call upon in order to scour the veritable mount Ihu of legalese he was sure to encounter.

The obsidian-clad Toa turned back to his guide through the literary and actuarial forest.

"What are the most recent reports in there? Today? This week? This month?"

Edited by BULiK

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

43 minutes ago, BULiK said:

"What are the most recent reports in there? Today? This week? This month?"

IC: Priicu - Wise Man's Archive

He stroked the chin of his Ruru pensively. "It depends on what sort of records you are looking for. Political decisions can take multiple months sometimes, depending on how sensitive they are. We receive weekly deliveries though, so the latest would be... four days old."

BZPRPG Profiles

“Then let’s get going, before the scavengers come along.”

Savrehn wasn’t sure why Kreigero was so interested in the corpse that it made her stop in her tracks. Did the trapper know something they didn’t?  The closer they had gotten to their destination, the more Savrehn felt like they were walking into the waiting of maw of…something. And if they did, and someone perished, whose fault would it be? 

Atamai’s, for picking this location? Savrehn and Kreigero’s for agreeing to take him? Mata Nui’s?

He stepped around the carcass and tugged at the rope, the lifeline keeping them all together. There was some comfort in it being there, but the mountaineer worried about the possibility of being trapped with his companions because of it. Thankfully, his ice pick was sharp enough that if he needed to, he could cut right through…no, he wouldn’t abandon them. Not even if that maw opened for him, and cutting the rope was his only escape.

He began to move past Kreigero and paused, glancing between her and Atamai. “I said, let’s get going.

OOC: @BULiK@~Xemnas~

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

On 10/8/2021 at 1:47 PM, ~Xemnas~ said:

IC, Atamai: Ko-Wahi

Atamai also covered up his nose with his own scarf. "Gross," he said. "But not fresh, as you said. However, Rahi looking for an easy meal can smell it a lot better than we can, so we should probably get moving to avoid becoming appetizers for anything hungry."

5 hours ago, Tarn said:

“Then let’s get going, before the scavengers come along.”

Savrehn wasn’t sure why Kreigero was so interested in the corpse that it made her stop in her tracks. Did the trapper know something they didn’t?  The closer they had gotten to their destination, the more Savrehn felt like they were walking into the waiting of maw of…something. And if they did, and someone perished, whose fault would it be? 

Atamai’s, for picking this location? Savrehn and Kreigero’s for agreeing to take him? Mata Nui’s?

He stepped around the carcass and tugged at the rope, the lifeline keeping them all together. There was some comfort in it being there, but the mountaineer worried about the possibility of being trapped with his companions because of it. Thankfully, his ice pick was sharp enough that if he needed to, he could cut right through…no, he wouldn’t abandon them. Not even if that maw opened for him, and cutting the rope was his only escape.

He began to move past Kreigero and paused, glancing between her and Atamai. “I said, let’s get going.

IC: Kreigero [Ko-Wahi, The Drifts] (Inspirational listening)

Kreigero thought Hikaki smelled bad on the outside. The stench and the horizon her optics had been scanning consumed her sensorium to the point where, despite her intense focus on watching for threats (or more accurately, because of it), she was surprised by Savrehn's rope tug. She returned a sharp nod. He was right. They needed to keep moving.

She kept her watch from the rear, trusting Savrehn to navigate in her stead. The snowstorm continued to be unrelenting, with visibility as poor as ever. Kreigero couldn't shake the feeling that someone - or more likely, something was watching them. The trio warily tread onwards for a few minutes. Just long enough for the adrenaline and panic to almost fade.

Reyal began to growl. A few moments later, a howl resonated through the air, sinking the group's heartlights.

The head of a Muaka peeked out from above a high snow dune to their left. The head stood still while the neck retracted back to its dangerously snug state - bringing with it the body that was previously hiding behind the landscape in a slanky, confident trot. It immediately became evident the large furrow of snow banks the group was naturally using to take cover from the worst of the storm was just as useful to the Muaka as a bottleneck for its prey. Nearby, to the group's right, there was a break in the snow bank. The plain beyond was remarkably smooth - curving slightly downhill for as far as Savrehn could see, which was admittedly not far in the belligerent weather.

"Careful! Don't let it think we'd split up," Kreigero advised sternly, her focus maintaining eye contact with the beast. She took hold of her shield in one arm and lightly thrusted her spear in the Rahi's direction as a menacing warning. "Back away slowly. Don't provoke. Be strong. We've dealt with Muaka before, right Savrehn?"

Reyal growled at the Muaka and stood his ground as Kreigero continued to rapidly slap together a plan.

"When - if I say to run, run. Find us a way out, Sav; Atamai and I will keep it busy."

Edited by BULiK

On 10/8/2021 at 10:58 PM, Goose said:

knock knock

I nodded glumly, still fumbling with the leg. Still, the apology didn't feel exactly apt.

knock kn-knock

What it really felt like was that she was apologising for the wrong thing. Or, perhaps that I was wrong about what was bugging me. I prodded the meat.

The ph-

knockknockknockknockknock

-the phantom of memory has an intrusively wide presence, making it difficult to sidestep. Considering the physical state I was in, the last thing I wanted was a confrontation. But we both knew already. It hung-

knockknockknockknockknockknockknOCKKNOCKNOCKKNOCK

-in the air, sucking the warmth from us. It was all around us, in the snow, those caves-

KNOCK. KNOCK.

-that now reek of savagery, deception-

KNOCK.

-the smell reminded me-

KNOCK.

-the smell of burning flesh.

The doors were open. I couldn't sidestep it anymore. I looked at her.