BZPRPG - Ko-Wahi

IC: Mar (Ko-Koro)

I accepted the cheap swill that Siika had covered without a moment's hesitation. It was just the sort of thing that I was all too used to subsisting on. Didn't really even think about as I started gulping it down. I had a lot of other stuff on my mind.

A Sonics Elemental was always able to hear, of course, but with my mask being an Akaku, I also had an unparalelled ability to see. Especially with the unique upgrade I'd picked up during the business Renegade Tactical had been hired to assist Shaddix with.

If there was anywhere I had a good opportunity to use my infrared, it was here, in a place so defined by temperature on one side of the scale, I imagined Ta-Wahi might be similar.

It wasn't difficult to find what I was looking for. There were visible heat profiles somewhere in a space behind the counter, one that moved like a living being, about the right size...

I switched to my familiar X-Ray for a moment, looking again. Indeed, the room was very dark. It would have been especially difficult for me to spot anything like that, probably a precaution they had thought of.

I turned to Siika. Karv was sitting next to us with his own face swiveling back and forth in calm vigilance.

"Alright..." I spoke up, after making sure our conversation would remain private, "I've seen someone. There's a back room here, somebody's hiding in there, looks to be a Matoran.

"Do you feel comfortable making a bit of noise?"

OOC: @Rahisaurus 

• Like 2

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

[IC: Siika, Ko-Koro]

Siika leaned over to Mar. "Do I feel comfortable? ... You know you're talking to a Skakdi right?"

Without further warning, she stood up abruptly, her stool clattering to the floor behind her. "THIS DRINK TASTES LIKE MAHI FLUIDS!" she bellowed, before smashing her ceramic tankard on the floor. Just for good measure, she picked up Mar's and smashed that one too. "Now who's gonna serve me something with a PUNCH?" growled the Skakdi, baring her teeth to the room in a wild grin, using her impact vision to punctuate the final word by flipping the nearest table.

For a split second, silence. Then, chaos erupted as half the room's occupants fled for the door, or vaulted out of the windows, and the other half - mostly comprised of drunkards or bashed-up scoundrels who came in here for this exact reason - yelled in reply, beginning an assault of half-full drink cups and food on the roaring Siika. She deliberately left her spear and shield on her back, not wishing to actually injure anyone, as 3 of the 7 remaining patrons ran towards her. She sent a hasty wink in Mar's direction, then turned to face them head on. She grabbed one by the torso with both hands, depositing them firmly onto their back with a thud, winding them. The other two took the opportunity while her hands were occupied to grab her legs, one each. Roaring in mock-anger, she threw herself onto her back, hurling her legs in the air and propelling the two matoran over her head.

She continued to make a target of herself, throwing matoran off her whenever they got a little too proud of themselves, almost like a big muaka plays with her cubs. Hopefully this was enough to keep eyes off of Mar while he did whatever he needed to do.

ooc: @Geardirector

• Like 2

I winced with pain as Siika roared at the top of her lungs. I remembered to mutter something foul under my breath as I grabbed my crossbow. The moment of silence after the table flipped was used well. I knew there would be more noise coming.

I signaled to Karv, directing him to cover the counter and the bartender. The Matoran tending it would hear a growl at the back of the Rahi's throat as it stared him down with teeth bared. He wasn't going anywhere.

Clutching my weapon, I closed my eyes, breathed and focused. All this noise. It had to go somewhere, and I had already figured out where. As Siika threw a pair of Matoran over her with her legs, I could feel the crossbow I was holding start to hum gently, vibrating, almost buzzing with power as I hefted it ready to fire. I slipped past Siika and found the closed door to the back room. The person inside had caught the noise, but didn't react notably. Bar fights were presumably to be expected. A few squeezes of the trigger, and the wooden frame of the door leading to the back splintered apart. That woke him up, and he was on the move, but I could see him the whole way.

I had long since learned to focus on whatever I was fighting with as a totem. To siphon off some of the sound that came towards me and lessen its strength to spare my ears.

The room at the back was larger than I expected, more like a complete living space nestled into a small area right up against the edge of the city wall. I stepped inside, fixing on the Matoran hiding behind an upturned table, holding something in their hand.

"You know I can hear you, right?" I asked, sounding a bit self-satisfied.

"I'm counting on it" they answered, and next thing I knew I staggered back as my sight and my vision were assaulted at once, a loud and blinding flash - Stralix Powder! The power stored in my crossbow dissipated as my focus snapped. Amateur!

I blinked through the spots in my vision as I saw him lunging at me, something long and sharp brandished in his hand. I made a split-second decision and grabbed my pistol. A diskette whirred from the barrel and struck the floor in front of him. More stralix powder ignited as I played it simple and safe, just repulsing all noise away from me and sending it all in his general direction. It was more than enough to halt him, he mimicked me a moment before in staggering backwards and in that moment I reached for my own blade. Now it was gathering ambient noise, as I traded a few parries with him. I was finding my focus again, and I swiped the air ahead of him, a blade of compressed sound launching from the blade to strike him and send him against the table he'd been covering behind moments before. Bladepoint at his neck put him out of commission.

I sent a whistle to Karv to tell him to reach me, and then I sent another message to Siika.

"I've got him"

Edited by Geardirector
  • Like 2

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

"I've got him" the voice of Mar said, directly into her ear.

"That was quick" she said, turning her head to where she thought the voice was. Oh. 

Siika groaned and pushed the last very tired matoran off her, this one having been drunkenly persistent in his valiant fight. Some of the others had given up and wandered off, and the rest were out cold, either from the drink, or Siika's "encouragement".

She picked herself off the floor to find a distraught bartender peering at the carnage from over the counter, her eyes flicking from smashed cup, to upturned table, to a pair of awkwardly positioned snoozing matoran in the corner. Siika offered a shrug. "Bunch of loonies, all I did was ask for a drink." she murmured, and waited for the shocked bartender to traipse back into the kitchen, mumbling erratically about the damage. Then she sneaked around the corner and found the door Mar had gone through, entering quietly.

Standing in the doorway, she could see Mar had had his own struggle in here, from the remnants of Stralix powder on the floor and the discarded diskettes. The figure he was pinning against the table seemed a little familiar - the same black paint, the red creeping at the edge of their eyes - but as she got closer, she let out a sigh. "Not the one I ran into." came the gruff remark, her face reflecting her disappointment. "That means there's more than one of them, as we feared."

• Like 2

Karv made it in after Siika, taking a seat next to where I was standing and fixing his eyes on the Matoran I held at bladepoint with his throat set to growl at the slightest provocation.

I nodded as Siika confirmed what I had guessed upon getting a good look at him. This was somebody else besides the person we were looking for, but definitely someone connected to them.

"Well, I guess you're just gonna have to tell us where they are, then" I said, directing it at the Matoran who glared back at us with something wild at the edge of his vision.

"It'll be a cold day in Karzahni before I tell you anything" he growled, prompting me to look around us as the stark ice-blue walls and to listen for just a moment to the sound of the wind outside.

"In my business, that's what we call a poor choice of words" I said with something like a wink, approximated with the shutter on my mask's scope.

"I'm sure my partner here can persuade you to see things our way"

• Like 2

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

• 2 weeks later...

Siika stifled a noise of genuine excitement as she stepped the other side of the table, not trusting that the culprit wouldn't escape without Mar's blade at his throat until she was ready. She stood directly behind the matoran, looming over him, hands on hips.

"Let's try a new angle," she chuckled ominously, lunging downward and grabbing the guy by the ankles, hoisting him up at arms length to dangle between herself and Mar. She shook him vigorously for a few seconds, then waited. "Anything filtering down into that head of yours?" she said, tilting her head comically.

Nothing. Karz, well there goes her only good idea.

"Alright." She marched him over to Karv, dangling his face right in front of the kavinika's maw. "Wanna get to know our good boy here?" came the rhetorical question, as she transferred one of his ankles to the other hand, now holding him aloft with just one arm, freeing the other to search in her backpack. Finding what she needed, she brought the hand back to reveal the bag of fishing bait she still had. She smushed the whole bag in her hand, mashing the contents (worms, and bits of old meat and bread) into a delectable paté, and then inverted the bag and smeared the contents all over the subject's mask. Karv smelled it straight away, and began licking. The matoran's view was filled with glistening teeth, and his lungs with hot smelly dog-like breath.

"Let me know if you taste any little nuggets of truth down there, eh boy?"

Edited by Rahisaurus
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

IC: Mar (Ko-Koro)

I couldn't help but smile just a little bit as Siika made use of our best interrogation tool. I'd done the same thing with Karv before, just not with the extra helping of bait flavoring.

I let Karv hear the signal he needed, and made sure nobody else did. Part of the whole mystique of our little duo was that Karv seemed to act on his own sometimes. If he had to take a bite... well, that wasn't off the table.

Our quarry didn't seem to be having a great time, but then again, that was the idea. The fact that he was hearing the way Karv was obsessively sniffing him very well could only serve to make his day a lot less fun.

"Get that thing off of me you degenerates. I'll talk" he eventually managed to gasp out, and Karv got the signal to back off.

"Well?"

He didn't give the most intelligible answer in the world, half occupied with spitting bait-mush out of his mouth and a curse or two, but I got the picture.

"Alright, you can let him down now" I said to Siika.

• Like 2

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

• 1 month later...

The Skakdi woman lowered the squirming miscreant slowly, reluctantly. "What if he runs and tells his friends before we get there?" she growled, as his face came into contact with the icy cold floor. She peered down at him, still gripping his ankles. "I mean, I don't wanna actually hurt the guy, but.. " - her shoulder wound twinged from the extended effort and she suddenly released him as she hissed through her teeth, watching him crumple to the floor - "ah... What do you think? Do we let him go?"

Her face showed genuine conflict as she looked at Mar for answers. She'd never thought about what she'd do when she actually caught one of them.

@Geardirector

• 2 months later...

[Ko-koro, Approaching Outer Gates (Shuuan)]
Part of the many reasons I intend to get myself killed before I grow old is there’s no way I am going to go through thinking about my numerous aches and pains every day.  At least the crabs were there, like a soothing balm on my conscious.   Little conception of pain, no thoughts except food, rest, and the possibility of making more crabs.   Truly, a perfect creature.

Perhaps I am being unfair, but it’s hard to describe the quiet that embraced us as we got higher.   The elders aches and pains only felt loud because there was nothing else, nothing in the mental plane that shouted and chattered and worried and murmured.   Every one of my physical senses seemed more alive in its absence, the flickers of snow falling on my cheeks sharp and cold and wonderful.

As the walls loomed above us, I felt the urge to soar above them and into that city of blessed quiet, but alas, the points of spears looked very sharp. I said I intend to die before I get old, not as soon as possible.   I could wait.

For a reasonable amount of time.

OOC: Shuan, Pradhai, Mako, Cephala, Raiyo and Company from Ga-koro.
@Geardirector @Keeper of Kraata @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva) Sorry for the wait.

• Like 1

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

• 2 weeks later...

IC: Raiyo - Ko-Koro Gates

Travelling with the Vilda Toroshu had afforded Raiyo many experiences beyond what a dashi normally experienced; Raiyo was aware that Oki was quite unlike many other places in the empire, and her travels with Robalta had let her see the gleaming towers of Sado firsthand. Even under her cloak, the cold bit into her, and she shivered steadily. She had been frightened during the first snowfall; it had reminded her of ash. But after the initial shock, there had been joy. Now, however, she was just cold.

An entire city surrounded by ice... She had barely believed Datsue Mako when he had described a city in the mountains, encased by ice. But she could still scarcely believe that people lived here, but it was undeniable. The locals, so many men, had strange shapes and stranger colors, but most of the 'matoran', the local dashi, were recognizable enough. Though was growing to recognize them not by their coloration, but by their lack of warmth-retaining accessories and quiet, contemplative demeanor. At least this seemed familiar.

"Datsue, Turaga, are we expected? Are we meeting anyone here?"

OOC: @Mel @Geardirector @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)

The times, they are a-changing...

OOC:  Anyway, after the longest wind-up known to man...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67HND-L9k-A

IC: Outside the Hideout

Safina's kick struck as the beast wheeled to get out of the way, a howl of discomfort coming--retracted, the creature's natural musculature tensed and prevented a devastating wound. Pushed beyond any sense of self preservation, the Muaka's reddened eyes refocused on Safina as it continued to press, seeking to use its proximity to finally slash at her with rending claws.

A sickening crunch came from the darkness to her left as something impacted flesh and protosteel, one of the previously fleeing Matoran hurtling out of the darkness with a freshly broken chestplate and scraping across the ground with a cry. Evidently the Rahkshi wasn't just playing spectator to their fight.

IC/NPC: Rahkshi, inside the hideout

The clang of the staff on Kehuri's shield was far quieter than it should have been--and the THWACK of pain that came from his back hurt far more than it seemed like it should have. While the shield prevented the immediate impact, the staff almost seemed to phase through the metal only to once again become frighteningly tangible. The worst of the force was abated, but it was still going to leave a nasty bruise.

Somehow, that seemed better than paralysis, and didn't interrupt his motion. The Rahkshi chittered, swatting at the lightstone a moment before swinging again--this time for Rall, as the Ta-Matoran took to Kehuri's back.

The second Rahkshi to come from the shadows side-stepped the shambling of the corpse, though it had to take a much quicker step back from Skrihen's sword, a rasping sound coming from the creature as it batted the Tryna reanimated Toa back, looking toward Skrihen a moment and its eyes starting to fiercely glow, a  mindripping fear starting to burn into the Bo-Toa. Even so, it seemed more focused on keeping the ironclad dead man at bay--and seemingly, the Bo-Toa distracted. From behind Skrihen, a raging torrent of plasma ripped through the air from one of the Rahkshi near the door.

Unfortunately for Zueya, the other Rahkshi of the pair seemed to be expecting the head-on charge--and left the undead and the Bo-Toa to its companion, bringing its staff across with bonecrushing force to knock her charge to the side.

The Rahkshi jumped to the side, Plagia's lightning orb grazing it as it hissed and started to focus on her. The ground started to shift and stumble beneath her feet, a dull torpor of fog sweeping into her mind and jumbling everything.

IC/NPC: The Lieutenant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2L4r0Aelvg

"I'll buy you an apology dinner if we survive this, Dartakh," The clone said, the one carrying the shield tossing it to the ceiling. "But we don't die gloriously. Dying gloriously implies we didn't use all our options."

From his unseen position elsewhere, the Lieutenant aimed the rifle in his hands at the mirror like surface of the ice shield, hanging in the air.

Alka Torin had fought at the Rama Hive. He'd been in Pala-Koro when it was attacked. He'd faced Rahkshi, servants of Makuta, and true Shadow Toa alike. He'd seen the full array that the powers of darkness had at their disposal, and in response Mata Nui had given the side of light... Six Toa. Powerful ones, sure, and each was a person for whom he had nothing but gratitude. But there were only six, against a sea of Rahkshi. And there was no Toa of Light to counteract the darkness.

To bemoan that, however, would be counter to his spirit--and that of the village he had chosen to protect when Pala-Koro fell. Be grateful for help, but expect none. Expecting your faith to heal your wounds, to help you stand... ******. Mata Nui helps those who helps themselves. When you bleed, you put on a bandage. When you fall, you get up.

When you face darkness...

The Lieutenant pulled the Kaitahu Ra's trigger and a blazing torrent blasted out of the muzzle of the weapon, scalding the darkness, the afterimage burning across retinas. The Rahkshi closest to the door staggered a moment, shaking its head and shrieking in animal fury as the light pinged off the surface of the shield and into its eyes. The mental pressure on Plagia immediately ceased.

"Move. It won't be blind for long and that won't work as well ever again."

When you face darkness... You make your own light.

Edited by Light
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

No such thing as destiny.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC: Plagia | Within the Dark Walk Hideout

So I moved.

Rahkshi were battering rams -- take away their powers and they still had the strength of three fighters, all without the fallibility of bone and muscle. This one was stumbling, off-balance, which was where it needed to stay 'till the rest of the party could get out of here.

(You're part of this party too, Plag.)

The sheathe at my side was smoking, the bamboo blackening as I dragged my sword out, burning from the lightning dancing across the blade too fast and too forceful for safety's sake. My brain was on fire, too, gears grinding themselves into dust to re-orient myself; but my body moved, legs pumping, muscles tensing. My shoulder was a spear aimed for where the Rahkshi's solar plexus should've been, almost every bit of my momentum turned to body-checking this ###### away from the door, clearing a path.

The last little bit of momentum, a final synapse firing in my brain post-fog, was to bring my arm up and my electrified sword into where this Rahkshi kept its ###### brain.

"YOU HEARD HIM!" was what I think I screamed, but it was hard to know for sure. "###### MOVE!"

Hard to know who I was screaming at, either.

OOC: @Light

-Void

• Like 1

[ BZPRPG ]

IC: Zueya - Dark Walk

She saw the blow coming; if she had been on the ground, a twitch could roll her out of the way. Alas, she was flying through the air, the Rahkshi's reflexes matched hers, and the monster had the longer reach.

Block, use the momentum.

Zueya heeded the voice in her mind as if by instinct. She brought her staff low and tucked her legs in; instead of impacting her side, the rahkshi's stave met her own. Using the impact like a springboard, the Vo-Toa deflected herself to the Rahkshi's side. She rolled once before kicking back into a crouch. Her arms were numb from absorbing the blow, and she could faintly smell the acrid smoke of a burning body. Her own? Her Calix was still working though. Sparks flew through her limbs as she gripped her staff at one end. Like a piston, she pushed forward, driving the end of her metal staff at the spot above and behind the rahkshi's shoulder, the base of its spinal cavity.

OOC: @Light

IC

On Korzaa’s impeccable desk sits a tablet of ice marked in sloppy handwriting.

8tt2qGq.png

STAN QUOTE >
WE DEFEATED HIM
PUT IN PLACE WHERE HE COULDN'T REACH US
BUT NOT FULL VANQUISHING
SUCH WAS IMPOSSIBLE VS NOTHINGNESS
WE PUT HIM AWAY IN SAFEKEEPING
DIDN’T KNOW WHERE + HOW LONG HE’D STAY
DIDN’T UNDERSTAND TIL TOO LATE
MARU FOLLOWED PROPHECY
NONE UNDERSTOOD IT
SAID “MAKUTA IS GONE”
NEVER DEAD

Beside it sits a large stack of stone tablets, all identical, crisply carved. Korzaa is no Ice Toa, and this message is too secret to send to a scribe. She has painstakingly copied each one of these many slabs herself. 

4PlD0mn.png

TOP SECRET:

NEW INTEL SUGGESTS THE MARU FAILED

MAKUTA MAY BE ALIVE AND GROWING POWER IN KINI NUI  

RECOMMENDED COURSE OF ACTION: SECURE DEFENSES AND INCREASE RECON  

KO KORO IS SENDING FORCE TO KINI NUI TO BUILD BASE CAMP FOR EXPEDITIONS INTO MANGAIA

These are entrusted into the hands of her personal messenger, an invaluable Toa of ice with a Kakama, to deliver them across the island. The messenger is given a list:

eHl7HZ5.png

Akiri Nuparu 
Captain Onepu of the Ussalry 
Akiri Hahli, Captain of the Ga-Koro Marines 
Akiri Jala, Captain of the Ta-Koro Guard 
Akiri Kongu, Captain of the Le-Koro Gukko Forces 
Akiri Renaka, Captain of the Po-Koro Sentinels

The Toa takes a moment to look over the names, then disappears with a flash and a puff of powdered ice.

Korzaa gathers up the three tablets - the quote, the remaining copy of the message, and the list of recipients -- and stacks them under her arm. These she personally delivers to her own Akiri. (@The UltimoScorp)

———

Meanwhile, a group of Ko-Matoran guards is already beginning to gear up for a trip to Kini-Nui, and word quickly spreads among the ranks — some are eager to volunteer for this mission of dire importance, while others balk, already believing the rumors of Makuta’s return to be true and none too eager to meet Him themselves. The news that Ko-Koro will soon be questing to Mangaia cannot be contained, but that is as the Captain intends. It is time for the island to know that she will not sit back and to wait to meet Makuta's forces on her doorstep again. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

• 2 weeks later...

IC: Cephala (Ga-Koro docks)

"I'm not sure if expected is the right word, per se- unless one of you lot sent a flier ahead of us at some point."  Cephala tugged her own coats tighter around her; she'd been to Ko-Wahi only a handful of times before, and it felt even colder with every journey.  She was reasonably certain she'd spent some time in some frigid wasteland or another before she'd come to the island of Mata Nui, but those were olden days now, and the touch of winter was as foreign to her body as it was to her memories.  "No reason not to come, though.  We can always ask the Guard if they've seen your missing friend, maybe stock up on more supplies while we're in the area."  The Turaga smiled.  "And, uh, I don't quite recall if I've mentioned this already... but I've got a few friends that live here in Ko-Wahi.  Maybe we'll run into one of them..."

"...that said, lass, I do believe you were the one who chartered these wagons.  So you'd probably know the answer to your own question better than any of us would, hmm?"

OOC: @Mel @Geardirector @Keeper of Kraata  Sorry I took so long to read everything, I've been worrying myself sick about coursework for a while now xD

@Light I don't think I see Charek in there anywhere, is that intentional?

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

OOC: only took two years huh

also i had the wonderful problem where you are auto-logged out while writing so i had to rewrite the dartakh section from scratch, love when this happens

IC: Sir Dahkapa (Ko-Koro Gates)

It had taken a while, but Dahkapa was finally back home. The cold and clean mountain air was a welcome relief from the hot and dusty winds of Po-Wahi.

He had been right, leaving the Blackrock Canyon. There had been plenty of time to think about many things. Which included not going to Ko-Koro in the first place. Part of him expected the guards to already see him as an enemy instead of a friend, yet thankfully they seemed to let him enter.

He had thought about how difficult it was to convert followers of Mata Nui without the conversion methods of the Brotherhood. Now he understood their grim necessity. But he still refused to use them. He had to be better than that. The easiest path was never the route to salvation. True redemption required trials and sacrifice.

If it meant sacrificing a potential friend, so be it. He was willing to sacrifice so much more for Ak'rei'an.

He looked around the gates of Ko-Koro, partially expecting to see Joskander. But he was nowhere to be seen.

It did not matter. His mind had been set in stone. Fitting, after visiting Po-Wahi. His long steps followed the shortest route to a certain unremarkable alleyway.

IC: Dartakh (The Dark Walk)

While Dartakh was satisfied to be offered a free meal and hear his name pronounced correctly, he did not let it distract himself from what was happening. He watched closely as the Lieutenant fired the perfect shot.

"Impressive," he muttered.

Then came the order to move. In his mind, Dartakh criticized the Lieutenant for giving an unclear order. Who should move, and where? But now was not the time for lessons in leadership. They had to survive this ordeal first.

Obeying his first order, Dartakh remained close to the Lieutenant's clone. But also obeying his new order, he moved in front of the clone, his shield raised and mace ready to strike. His eyes fixated on the enemy, yet his senses remained aware of his surroundings. He was ready to either attack or retreat if ordered to do so.

OOC: @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)@Light

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

[Ko-koro, Approaching Outer Gates (Pradhai)]
Pradhai looked to Mako.  “Who was the name of that young man that Soraph was sweet on again?”

OOC: @Geardirector @Keeper of Kraata @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva) @Visaru

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

• 4 months later...

IC:

Injustice was everywhere; in the corner of everyone's eye, at the apex of every averted gaze. People, for the most part, choose to see only what they're comfortable with – a little suffering, perhaps, in some far-off place. Nothing they had the power to change.

This, of course, applied only to those who had the privilege of looking away. Not everyone was so lucky. Ignorance was a snake that ate its own tail – hiding from the truth only allowed the world to become more unjust, and the truth to become more terrible while accountability was neglected. The sole positive was the transformation that occurred in those who survived their exposure to the truth: the development of the righteous, insatiable anger that was at the root of all change.

The combination was often a fruitful one; it was rarely hard to find the outspoken person everyone sought to ignore. All they needed was someone with the knowledge, experience and unbridled stubbornness to make people look.

Someone like him.

“I am here to speak with Korzaa. I have an appointment – the name is Muirtagh Fenn.”

OOC: @Visaru

• Like 2

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

• 2 weeks later...

IC:

Fear sucked.

Meant to keep you alive, teach you when to exercise caution. Remind you not to rush in where Light would fear to shine. Fear- natural fear- was just a stimuli, the feeling that made you fight or flee when danger reared its head. Fear could be controlled, fear could be managed, and when you understood it you could make fear work for you. Only the stupid were truly fearless.

Fear didn't rip into Skri's mind. Terror did.

In an instant the darkness was closing in on her like a thing alive, threatening to smother her under its weight. It tried to crush her, just like the last time- and this time, it roared deep her in her chest, it would finish the job. Once lucky, little Toa, it snarled. Not twice.  She couldn't breathe. Her muscles trembled, so suddenly and so violently that she bit her tongue when she tried to grit her teeth. Her blade felt so much heavier in her hands, the mottled and shifting patterns on the Rahkshi's carapace seemed to form laughing, monstrous faces that whispered to her that this place would be her tomb. It took every ounce of her strength, of her experience, of her resolve not to flee. Even then, that was it. She couldn't advance. She couldn't spit defiance, couldn't find within her any more strength than to keep her trembling blade between herself and her enemy.

The Rahkshi was right- she couldn't possibly see the plasma coming this way, not with all the foresight in the world.

It caught her left shoulder, or maybe a little further in; it was just pain, white hot and searing at the forefront of her brain blocking out all other thought. She gasped, she was dully aware of that, and spat out the bit of blood her tongue had leaked into her mouth. It hit the floor in front of her, bright in the residual glow of the plasma that had passed through her to strike the far stone wall. Her left arm was largely limp, unresponsive to command.

But her blade wasn't trembling anymore.

"Nui, I should've stayed in bed today." The Irregular's voice was tight, almost hoarse, but there was no more fear in it. Rather, fear no longer ruled it- pain had leveled that field. The needle had moved to fight, and there was no pushing it back to neutral. Colorful spots played across her vision, between the plasma and whatever the Karz the light weapon the LT'd just pulled out was, but it was focused again. Rage bubbled under the surface, fear pushed too far over the brink into fury, but her mind worked smoothly. Quickly. Detached, just a bit too much, from the woes of her body. "Kay, then."

Despite how clever the setup, the overgrown bug had missed its best chance to get her in one shot. Plasma was so hot that wherever it hit her was already cauterized, and she wasn't dead yet; that meant she wasn't gonna die in the next minute, either. Small miracles. A vine shot out of the hole in her jacket, coiled itself tightly around her left arm and shot into the dark beyond to wrap around the hilt of her Acurahk staff; when it yanked back, pulling the staff back to her hand, it was almost natural. Only the way the vine lashed around her hand and the body of the staff betrayed the illusion. 

She took a measured few steps back, pivoting slightly to keep as many of the threats in view as she could and ignoring the ragged hitch to her breath when she 'moved' her arm. She could still 'see' the floor with her pollen, and with a quick bounce of her Pakari-enhanced wrist she choked up on the hilt of her sword for better control despite her single hand.

"Come on, you ugly bug." She sneered at what, despite its camouflage, she knew to be a Turahk. The tip of her staff beckoned mockingly. "C'mere. Takes a real coward to need a sucker punch like that."

@Light

OOC: Some additional pieces forthcoming, after I check on a few things. To be edited in to this post if no response has come before then.

• Like 3

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

• 2 weeks later...

[Ko-koro, Rhanus’s Inn (Shuuan)]
It turned out that we had been expected—don’t get me wrong, we certainly got no honor guard to shuffle us in to the classiest (and definitely warmest) inn in this city of ice.   But it seemed like the guards knew Mako, and he must have been liked enough to let us pass without the obligatory rundown.

The Vilda Grandma’s giant snake was something more of a problem, though.   The innkeeper was nice, but apparently not nice enough to let it bask in the common room.   Didn’t blame him per say, although if I had a giant opportunity like that I would keep it there at all times to eat disruptive customers.

This is why I would never get into the family business.

But as suffocatingly cozy as this place was, I didn’t feel like staying quite yet.   It’s funny, I grew up in a jungle—I was pretty cold.   But the physicality of the cold was still clarifying, rather than painful.   I needed to be outside, in the glorious silence.

I grew up in a place that was stock full of beauty, but not beauty like this.   Sado couldn’t compare either, it was too…inhabited, too constructed, too bright.  This place had been built of stone and crystal, but with a completely different aesthetic to it.   This was not for markets and parades and royal pageants.   This was for living, and speaking, and thinking.

And it was pretty nice for walking too.

OOC:
Shuuan open for interaction, if anyone wants to interrupt her revelry.

If we’d like to get the actual party in gear… @Geardirector @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva) @Keeper of Kraata

• Like 1

[BZPRPG Profiles]

IC: Vakua - Ko-Koro Thoroughfare

After the terminally long meeting, Vakua had bid farewell to Aelied as the elder Toa had returned to the Memorial Greenhouse, presumably to make sure he didn't freeze. The De-Toa needed comparatively little warming up, and just got a bowl of his favorite soup. His mask ever so slightly glowed; Aelied had told him the Suletu was a difficult mask to use, but he had taken to it like a fish to water. Cyrix caught him up on the day's events; Zueya and Skorm were on a mission in the Dark Walk, and there were spooks sniffing around the Kalta. Thankfully, he didn't ask him to do anything about that; he was nobody's spy. That wasn't why he was a Toa. Now, Kalyss meeting a dragon and playing tour guide? That was a bit more his speed.

Sipping at the broth, several de-matoran passed by Vakua, engaged in a heated conversation in matoran sign language. He averted his gaze to avoid eavesdropping, but not before one of the pair greeted him, asking him what soup he had gotten.

"Le-Koro onion soup," he signed back with one hand. "Though with less spices, can't handle it otherwise."

Both the de-matoran grinned. "You newcomers would think snow is spicy," she replied.

Vakua shook his head in exaggerated protest. "Hey, I think Kalyss has her snow with salt, at least!" The de-matoran shook their hands in laughter before returning to their original argument. The De-Toa smiled; he had liked Ga-Koro, but he liked this place even better. The people, the radio, the listening equipment, it was a dream for him. He didn't even mind the cold much.

Something buzzed in the back of Vakua's head; faint words, but not drowned out by his earmuffs. Vakua frowned; someone wasn't trying to contact him, were they? He fully activated his Suletu as he breathed into his scarf for warmth. He heard the speaking again, before it was quiet. It wasn't speech, and unless it was someone unskilled, it probably wasn't a Suletu or, Mata Nui forbid, a Komau. There was only one possibility; the Dasaka were already here. He had been practicing trying to imitate Ideatalk since Dakte had left; he hadn't had a chance to practice, but he thought he had the fundamentals.

::Excuse me, um... Can you hear this? Are you Dasaka? This is Vakua, of the Toa Kalta. You are welcome here in Ko-Koro. Apologies for the rusty Ideatalk, I've been trying to adjust my technique since... Vilda Mako and Ageru Dakte left. If it's not too much trouble, I can meet you near the main square::

OOC: @Mel @Geardirector @Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)

On 2/27/2024 at 7:42 PM, a goose said:

IC:

“I am here to speak with Korzaa. I have an appointment – the name is Muirtagh Fenn.”

The bureaucratic machine spun quickly, and the Po-Koronan lawyer soon found himself on a chilly battlement overlooking the main thoroughfare that led straight from the sanctum to the front gates of the Koro.

Two guards announced Muirtagh's arrival to the short scarred Captain of the guard, who stood looking out at the boulevard, sketching notes in a tablet of ice placed against the edge of the half-wall that ran along the edge of the battlement. She waited in typical Ko-Matoran silence for him to speak first. 

• Like 2

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------