BZPRPG - Le-Wahi

IC: Vaíl, Bright Star Inn, Le-Koro

Vaíl’s thoughts are something of a fog themselves, and she stumbles through them, wandering eagerly toward the subject of foreign lands, for the idea has always fascinated her. She opens her mouth to urge Ferellis to continue.

Wait.

She recognizes then her companion’s averted gaze, her defensive posture, her distracted fiddling with the glittering remnants of her sugary abomination. Vaíl reels herself in just in time.

When she does speak, it is with concern, though perhaps not with much tact. “Hey, uh. Is everything all right?”

OOC: @Mel

Q2TtLEz.png

[Le-koro, Bright Star Inn (Ferellis)]

Ferellis gave her drink one last swirl before downing the entire thing, savoring the sweetness as it went down her throat.

“I don’t think everything was ever all right.   I think it was all wrong to start with and maybe it became kind of all right for a spell—but now it’s gone back.”

She stood up, putting one hand against the bar to steady herself.

“I should head out.  Going to have a Karz of a headache, come morning.”

OOC: @BBBBalta

Edited by Mel

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

IC: Cipher - The Rockwall

The streak of searing sunlight tore through the calm blue skies, impossible to miss if you were anywhere short of being blind. There was no chance my little signal flare wouldn't garner a reaction from the Marines posted on the fortifications at any point in living memory— let alone within these tense few weeks that passed since Ko's invasion and subsequent recapturing.

"Be seeing you."

And if it somehow didn't, the Toa of Sand wearing my Calix that'd promptly leapt outta the brush and started hollering at the aforementioned Stationed-on-Posting sure would. I waited a few moments for his words to float through the air between us and my destination, delivered with enough bombast to blow those iron gates wide open— and the showmanship he'd treated me to nearly out of the water, to boot.

Three.

Then a faint sigh, followed by a costernation-filled Ga-Koro accent. He'd gotten their attention enough for a dialogue—

Two.

And attention enough for me.

One.

A spray of sea foam, and a crash of parting water erupted from the bay as he really worked to seal it.

We're live, folks.

Let's jam.

I narrowed my eyes and focused, squinting them at a point just atop the dome-shaped roof of the light chamber itself, high overhead of the many stone bricks that made for fortification, and by consequence the disgruntled Marines posted within and upon them. Now, I'd never used a Kualsi in my life, as previously stated, but once you learn the method of activation for one Kanohi, I was pretty sure you'd learned them all. The effect's strength is a product of conscious determination, but activation was like using a muscle or remembering a tune.

In my case, I cocked back the hammer in the recesses of my brain that functioned for purposes of breaking realty's rules, took a single breath longer to get the feeling of where I wanted to end up down, and pulled an invisible trigger. We all have our metaphors for it.

ffft-POP

And I was once there, suddenly here. It kind of felt like my stomach was turning upside down, maybe in the same way freefall does, but that was fine. More than a worthy trade-off for suddenly ignoring an easy few hundred yards of distance all told. That said, this wasn't the easiest ride in the world, either— I had my own work to do to keep this adventurous little romp from turning slapstick.

My left hand shot out to the side, grabbing hold of the metallic flagpole as my feet touched the weathered metal of the rooftop, the main line of defense against a season's worth of storms. It took'em a second to find purchase, given the structure— mostly smooth curves made for a fun balancing act. But, I'm not a rookie, and I've also been in enough stupid incidents near the village of water's architecture (at least twice) to not flail around like a newborn up here.

I pivoted to the other side, switching grips on the flagpole-and-weathervane as the turn on my heel kept me in place. I shoulda seen it coming, but that warp had kept my bearing the same. No idea if it was due to my own ignorance or just by design of the mask, but that moment of adjustment had probably given my partner down there ample time to verify that I'd gotten up here as he'd conjured up an arm of wet sand from the shallows below. Buffeted a little towards the center by the wind, I shot my guy a brash thumbs-up with my free hand, before dropping into a low crouch.

I've also had experience with fighting breezes. Won't say how or why. If you know, you know.

Before anything else, though, I needed to make sure I wasn't going to be dropping into a whole cadre of now-extremely-annoyed Marines guarding the giant lantern itself— I'm not dumb enough to think that my entrance was totally silent, just dumb enough to think that a lot of light and a lot of sound in the other direction could mask it, provided a culprit looked like they were there to source it.

I crept forward in my new low profile, gazing out over the side back onto the scene with Verak and the Marines, and checking for sound, sight, or sign that I had a few of my own to worry about up here.

Or the better way to put it— how many were up here, worrying about me.

• Like 2

helo frens

IC: Trava (Pala-Koro)

"Hmm? Oh, right, right..." Trava responded absently. She was still not super clear about what the deal with Pala-Koro was, honestly, she just knew she liked the vibe of it as it was right now.

Trava looked over at the Toa, raising a brow in mild confusion. The Toa wasn't looking quite in her direction, she could recognize someone on the lookout.

"You looking for something?" she asked.

OOC: @Goose

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC Kanohi - Le-Wahi - The Edge of the Fau Swamp

It was honestly more than a little inspiring how Hakari seemed unfazed by the ordeal with the parasite. Seeing a noble Gukko puppets by pulleys and strings of vibes, roses growing from its beak, probing for prey, searching for the glow of Heartlights, she could have been infested. And she could only focus on how pretty the Keea was.

Kanohi … he was only a Matoran, she outclassed him in any term of power, but after he had neglected her in the fight … he did not want this carefree Lesterin to suffer. He wanted to protect her, her and all the people of Mata-Nui.

He couldn’t let anyone else get infested.

The vigilante shook his head and heard an unfamiliar rattling along with his wooden masks clanking. He looked at his still partly disassembled Volo Lutu Launcher … he could not help anyone if it was not perfect. The Fe-Matoran began to get back to work mending and modifying his grappling hook, readying it for the journey ahead.

OOC: @ARROW404 @Onaku @Snelly

Edited by Harvali
  • Like 1

"Danger is the anvil on which trust is forged"-Jaller(Jala) :smilejala: 
"We're on our own here-like we've always been-and we'll stand or fall on our own"-Tanma
"He may seem slow and strange to you, but his simple words often carry a hidden wisdom"-Turaga Vakama on Kapura

9B586E38-224D-4703-8EE3-5A0AC1CB8344.png.4f8ec6246a5ad7273e1c0d55cb15537e.png
Kanohi: Stories of a Matoran Vigilante The Impact of a Rebirth: a Kanohi Fanfic The Willing Exiles: a Kanohi Fanfic SKA PC Profiles: Kanohi, Collector, Mahrika Kardaka BZPRPG Profiles Avatar by @Harvali 

IC: Okuo - Edge of Fau Swamp

Itahi, in all their blue feathered glory, seemed unperturbed by the attention it was receiving, remaining at ease in accordance with its rider's calm. Okuo read Kanohi's words, nodding in understanding. "It certainly sounds like a harrowing experience to have encountered. I hope-" "Your bird is so pretty! Can I pet it?" Okuo turned to the Lesterin at her question, nodding to her while her companion wordlessly attended to it as she wished to. "Of course. I uh-" Turning back to Kanohi as he'd begun to work on some contraption strapped to his wrist, he looked back to Hakari with a simple nod and a smile while gesturing to his Kewa, before he then gently approached the Matoran vigilante, looking the grappling hook over curiously while refraining from Kanohi's personal space. "What are you working on there?"

Itahi gently pecked at Lapu's wooden armor, picking out a seed lodged in there and devouring it happily.

@Harvali@ARROW404@Snelly

• Like 1

IC: Kuhrin (Lake Pala North)

A part of me always wants to be caught. If I were caught, my guilt would be proved, and a deserved punishment wrought upon me. But none who ever catch me know the true extent of my crimes - they always let me live.

A hollowed out tree trunk rests on the bank, reaching out to rescue a trio of irretrievable boulders from the water. I balance across its back, and leap to the boulders, darting across them with the agility and speed of a trained killer.

Why do they always let me live?

But the boulders lead nowhere, and now I'm over water deeper than my height. I could swim, certainly, but my lungs wouldn't carry me far enough. Besides that, the Huna seems to have trouble underwater.

Even as a servant of darkness I failed to become notorious enough to be remembered. The blood on my hands goes unnoticed. So they always let me live.

"You looking for something?"

My attention is yanked back towards the village. One of them saw something. They probably don't know what they saw just yet, but it was enough to be suspicious.

The Huna flickers. Again. ###mit. It wants me to be caught, too.

Edited by Wotz

On 10/12/2021 at 11:14 AM, Geardirector said:

4 minutes ago, Wotz said:

IC: Kaelynn (Pala-Koro)

Without shifting her gaze, Kae raised a finger to her mouth, signalling for Trava to be quiet. She was sure, this time, that she'd caught a glimpse of someone - Huna user, or... Volitak, maybe?

She began slowly to lower her hand, and then, without warning, flicked her wrist; a gust of wind blew towards the hidden figure, enough to potentially knock them off their feet.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

The water ripples -  wind, too powerful and precise to be natural - I leap into the air to avoid its full force. It carries me backwards as I curl in the air, turning a somersault into a dive, and descend into the water.

They must have seen the splash. Still, I swam hurriedly towards the village on the breath I had, staying far enough below the surface that I would not be immediately visible.

The cross-wired vigilante blushed beneath his many masks, and paused to write a quick message. His circles were a bit sloppy, he was a little self conscious about the attention Okuo gave him.

I am trying to repair and improve my Volo Lutu Launcher. The trigger can sometimes get stuck, and if I cannot grapple and there is a nearby predator or a forest fire, I won’t be able to help anyone, let alone myself.

He hurriedly went back to tinkering with the mechanism. Its … funny, he did not know his past, he had washed up on the island as amnesiac as Hakari must have. Had he been an inventor in the past, an engineer? He had an instinct for tinkering, one of the first things he had done on Mata-Nui so long ago was build a spear.

But instinct wasn’t the only reason he knew how to fiddle with a Volo Lutu Launcher. Nichou had taught him how to shape wood, Aurax had taught him of mechanisms and machinery. Yes he had gotten experience tinkering and scavenging devices lost in the jungle, but they helped him understand.

Poor Aurax. The visions Kanohi had seen, the Rahkshi, the suddenness, the wrongness, the unfairness, it was haunting. Aurax should have been destined for more than to be killed by a Rahkshi medic.

Still, as awful and cruel as it was, there was nothing that could be done about Aurax’s fate now. He was dead, his destiny cut short by the Makuta. All Kanohi could do was mend his Volo Lutu Launcher, and hope that the next time a Rahkshi tried to abruptly stab a Matoran, he would be able to grapple over and yank the villager out of the way.

OOC: @ARROW404 @Onaku @Snelly

• Like 1

"We're on our own here-like we've always been-and we'll stand or fall on our own"-Tanma
"He may seem slow and strange to you, but his simple words often carry a hidden wisdom"-Turaga Vakama on Kapura

Kanohi: Stories of a Matoran Vigilante The Impact of a Rebirth: a Kanohi Fanfic The Willing Exiles: a Kanohi Fanfic SKA PC Profiles: Kanohi, Collector, Mahrika Kardaka BZPRPG Profiles Avatar by @Harvali 

"That's a real big something alright" Trava quipped as she jogged back to the edge of the lake. Someone was underwater, and she fired up her Kanohi again. However it was wasn't entirely successful in going unnoticed. They faded in and out of vision, and with her sharpened eyes she spotted them swimming under the surface of the water.

"Here!" she called to Kaelynn, pointing where she could spot their stranger.

OOC: @Goose @Wotz

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: Lapu

A Rahi flew overhead, then another. Lapu straightened up, glancing at them, then turning to face the direction they have come from. He sniffed the air. Nothing yet, but... There went another Rahi, then a flock. The brush cracked with the sound of small terrestrial Rahi on the move. Something was wrong. This behavior pattern usually meant... fire. He looked at the others and knocked his armor to get their attention. He waved his hand toward Kanohi's pad. The pigmentation of the wood altered, the shape of a flame appearing across the grain of the flat surface. With his message delivered, he reached up, arm stretching out as the plants on his arm grew, and latched onto a high branch. He pulled himself up and perched upon it, peering into the forest, trying to discern the precise location.

The jungle didn't used to catch fire. Far, far too wet. The plants here were not adapted to fire. This was the work of the nameless evil, it had to be.

• Like 2

BZPRPG Profiles
If I go AWOL for a while, feel free to contact me via Discord

IC: Hakari - Le-Wahi - The Edge of the Fau Swamp -

Fire! The jungle was on fire! How was this possible? 

"Okuo! Fly to Le-koro! Tell them what's going on!" The words came out of the Lesterin's mouth before she even realized it. Okuo nodded and was already flying off on his Kewa as she turned to focus on all the rahi fleeing the fire. 

OOC: @Harvali @ARROW404 

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

The cross-wired vigilante had just finished locking his Volo Lutu Launcher’s barrel’s back in place when he heard Hakari’s words. He looked up to see Okuo flying off on his Kewa, disappearing to the south. Le-Koro, what did they need to tell—

And then Kanohi saw the smoke pouring from the forest, spreading rapidly from the East. It’s birth was close to the border of Ta-Wahi, and they were already close to the volcano. A forest fire. Kanohi, he had not lived in Le-Wahi long, but he still knew the plumes of a blaze well. 

Some travelers complained there had not been enough rain, that the Mangai had been flexing. He was not sure, he only washed up on Mata-Nui a short time ago. Not very recently, but enough that his first friends period had been Stannis’s Companions. He did not know a time Le-Wahi was not like this.

Kanohi began to hack out coughs as Rahi fled past. He could feel the wall of heat crashing against him like a tsunami, feel the smoke flooding his optics. He swayed he … he could feel tendrils of embers coiling around him, stuffing themselves down the gaps in his armor, puppeting him like that horrific parasite—

What do you see?

Then he heard a cry of help. He stumbled and clutched his mask as he continued to wheeze, before firing his Volo Lutu Launcher wildly. It smacked against the ground and recoiled into his launcher. He shook his head, trying to shake away the melting world around him.

He … he knew Fire was a d-danger, he knew it. It was why he had been sure to treat his launcher and his armor to prevent them from burning. But he still was flammable. And the flames fed his visions, and in this inferno, he was overwhelmed.

B-but there was that cry again. It was an Ash Bear cub, wailing for its mother. And there were other Rahi too, cries of a troop of Brakas gagging on smoke, of even a mighty Muaka surrounded by flames. Was he … was he seeing these things, or was his foreseeing them? He … he couldn’t tell. But either way he … he had to help. Helping was all he could do, it was his value, it was how he proved he mattered.

And these Rahi they … they mattered too. Helpless, they needed someone to support them. Maybe it should be someone who also mattered little.

Still hacking and his optics wide, Kanohi fired his Volo Lutu Launcher again and grappled into the blaze. He tried not to focus on the smoke as he hurtled through the canopy, before spreading his arm wide. His outstretched hand snatched a young Brakas caught in the flames, grasping her by the scruff of her armor.

He swung her into his arm as he took in the sights of the troop cap outgoing, the nearby trees were ablaze so the Rahi could not leap to them. He needed to put out at least some of the fire. But … how?

Then he felt a twig caught in his armor. He looked at it, twigs always snapped off trees when he grappled, he was not meant for the trees. But … if he could break twigs…

Kanohi swooped over to a Brakas and offered the youngster before charging at some trees. With a crash he barreled into them, but this time it was his intent. burning branches splintered from the impacts, haired smushed from the collisions, he was trying to smother the flames with his body.

He was only a Matoran, unworthy of being a Toa, of being a Companion. He had to try something.

OOC: @ARROW404 @Snelly

• Like 1

IC: Kalih

It had taken the shipwright the better part of the rest of the day to traverse the rest of the distance down Le-Wahi in the vessel. While initially cautious about taking the self-powered ship on the open ocean, it nonetheless proved to be incredibly seaworthy. The lack of masts and spars made it rock far less under even the strongest of winds he encountered, indeed it's method of motion allowed him to sail headlong into the winds themselves at a full clip, and the metal hull cut through even the largest of waves like a blade through soft parchment. Even so, despite the Kavinika's impressive seakeeping he still kept relatively close to the coast, not so close as to beach his find in shallow water, but close enough that he felt like he could reasonably swim to shore if needed.

Making it to Nokama Port had been largely uneventful for Kalih, the spit of land that used to be the Kumu Islets slowly rising out of the ocean as he approached. There didn't seem to be very many vessels docked there at the moment, but it was difficult to tell from this dis-

A bright orb of light suddenly shot into the sky from the island, before bursting into a brilliant flare some distance above the outpost.

What?

• Like 1

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

The fire was getting worse. Kanohi, bless his heart, was already taking action and trying to save what Rahi he could. Hakari stood still for a moment, her mind racing as she tried to think of a way to put the fire out. She was no Toa or Skadki though, she didn't have elemental powers that could...

...she tapped her mask, that was it! She just had to use the power she did have! Her mask activated as she whirled into action, she would just have to be faster than the fire! She grabbed an Ash Bear cub and rushed it out of the fire's path, before rushing back out to rescue more critters. Perhaps even with this she wouldn't be fast enough to save them all, but she'd sure try.

• Like 1

Kanohi’s body ached as he hurtled into branches, the shards of sticks and twigs shattering on impact. Debris fell to the ground, their fire snuffed out by the collision. It was a crude method of extinguishing flames, but without a Toa of Earth, Water, or Air, it at least was a strategy. He had to do this,

Ironically some of the fallen flammable wood he snapped off actually extinguished some of the fire below, disturbing the smaller flames and burying them. Of course the exposed fire soon fed on them and reignited, that was no solution.

The vigilante flinched as he slammed into another tree, the force of his body exploding the branches and driving splinters into the gaps in his armor and chassis. His pistons shuddered and his gears strained, and his hull pulsed in pain. 

The smoke was bad too, he meant to install some sort of art filtration system in his wooden mask, but he needed to first study pressurized canisters and filters, and he had few to tinker with in Le-Wahi. He was beginning to hack worse than ever, and in the fire reality was starting to blend. He could see a barren island, a colossal severed head crashing into it, hurling tidal waves of dust across the landscape…

He was briefly brought out of the visions bury a shriek, some of the Brakas were slipping through the gaps in the blaze he had bludgeoned, they were escaping the flames. He … he was saving lives. Maybe they were “unimportant” Rahi but they … they still deserved to live. They mattered to each other.

Kanohi … he had to keep going, keep saving lives. He … they mattered. These beasts mattered. And if they mattered, he … he had to save them. He had to prove he was a hero, he had to be useful. Because he … he had to prove he was useful. That he had value, 

Funny, if Nichou or even Hakari did something like this, he would desperate try to stop them, warn them against this self-sacrificing self-harm. That they mattered too. That they had nothing to prove. But well … that was different. Dece was just a cross-wired freak. Kanohi … Kanohi though. Kanohi might be cross-wired too, but he … he could prove his value. And he would. 

OOC: @ARROW404 @Snelly someone is unhealthy

• Like 1

IC: Vaíl, Bright Star Inn, Le-Koro

I think it was all wrong to start with...

Ferellis’s words dig into the back of Vaíl’s mind, and they remain there as her companion rises.

“...karz of a headache, come morning.”

Vaíl blinks, and then she rises too, reaching into her pack as she does. “Here.” She offers Ferellis a vial of viscous liquid. “Something I came up with. Take it before you turn in; should help a bit with the headache thing.”

Her gaze flicks to the abandoned glass, leftover sparkles still glittering in the dim light. “It, uh, tastes like s###, though. Fair warning.”

OOC: @Mel

Q2TtLEz.png

On 10/4/2021 at 1:21 AM, ARROW404 said:

IC: Ushadra

The problem with having a Mahiki and the power of Sonics was never that you have too few ways of introducing yourself. She was practically paralyzed with indecision- what should she wear? Should she pretend to be a Rahkshi? No, that was just silly. Heuani perhaps? If she wanted to instantly get on his bad side, perhaps. Her own face? Oh but where was the fun in that? So many options, yet only one first impression, how on Mata Nui was a girl to choose?

She sighed inaudibly and quickened her pace into the Toa's field of vision. But he saw what she wanted her to: A male Toa, tall of stature, clad in black, modeled closely to Heuani, but clearly not him. A form crafted with one of two purposes- to intrigue, or else to see if the veteran Makuta cultist would see through it. When she spoke, the voice of a male came out- but a taste of the toys her element gave her to play with. "Ushadra, at your service," 'he' greeted him in the playful tone of one who fears nothing, "Fellow servant of our dark master- whom, by the way, had sent me on an errand to find you. Not you specifically of course. His followers. I came to thank you for sparing me the trouble," 'he' chuckled.

OoC: All good!

IC:

Ushadra. 

Names weren't always indicative but this one seemed a more imperfect fit than most, especially coupled with the passing resemblance to one of his deceased predecessors. Nothing he could prove, not just yet, but he reached out with his element carefully to check for... Anomalies. Places he should feel metal and didn't, or shouldn't and did. Ways to see if the face that he saw was the truth.

"Polite of you." Eisen said affably. "Was there a particular reason for your search?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

On 10/29/2021 at 11:30 PM, Harvali said:

The wild Toa was everywhere at once. Even on fire, the jungle was his home, literally his element. And this was not the first time it had caught fire. The Rahi here were unused to the strange occurrence- rainforests did not spontaneously combust like this. But they knew danger, and had many right instincts. His task, to be as efficient as possible, was to clear the way for them, and so he did. Darting from tree to tree, elastic body twisting and stretching from limb to limb, he lifted a fallen log off of a Rahi's den, smothered flames here and there, untangled a Kavinika, and more.

The flames would go out, he knew. Flames could not last long in a place this wet. They were fed by the unnatural darkness hanging over the island, but that only prolonged them beyond their natural length, not indefinitely. And if Rahi died, such was the way of the jungle. The strong would live on as the weak perished.

Spotting Kanohi having trouble for a moment, he reached out with a vine and gave him a boost as he swung through the forest. A show of approval. Actions spoke louder than words, after all.

On 11/1/2021 at 5:36 AM, Krayzikk said:

IC:

"Polite of you." Eisen said affably. "Was there a particular reason for your search?"

'He' cocked his head, Stepford smile still etched on 'his' mask. The true Toa beneath considered an illusory flourish right there, but decided to wait and see if Eisen would betray any awareness of the illusion. He had figured it out, she knew. She hadn't even given him a fake name, which she realized might have made for too easy a test.

He was waiting for an answer. "Our master's servants are scattered. Some have considered leaving his service altogether, believing him to be gone. Unity may not be one of our virtues, but there is strength in coordination, and our master is wise. I, more than most, am adept at traveling swiftly and unseen, and so I act as his messenger, among other things. Now that I have found you, I am to accompany you, in addition to my continued search."

Edited by ARROW404

BZPRPG Profiles

Kanohi was of the Element of Iron, he had enhanced endurance compared to the other breeds of Matoran and could endure more physical abuse. But even the weakest Toa dwarfed his physical fitness, his chassis still dented under blows. That was why he had donned this armor of masks, to give him protection.

But even with his armor, this many blows jarred him, weakened his concentration. And the fire, he almost wanted to shut his optics rather than see it. He grappled nearly blindly, his head pounding as reality was a blaze.

Aurax stood above the flames, standing tall and proud, before he drifted into the air, suspended by the sharp prongs of a Rahkshi staff. Lubricant and coolant gushed from his wounds, his gold was tarnished, his armor dyed a sickly blue by his fluid, he slumped against the staff as his heartlight sputtered and faded, yet still he towered over Kanohi—

Then Kanohi felt a tendril grasp him, and his optics were wrenched from the vision. A vine had caught him, helped catch him as he started to fall. Was … was it … no, this was not the parasite, this was Lapu, helping stabilizing his swinging. The vigilante blushed beneath his masks he … he was glad he had these powerful allies to help him.

As he took a breath his optics caught sight of something in the inferno. A Mask of Strength? Why was that there? No, it was a shell? But was it a Shore Turtle or a Fikou?

…It was worth the risk, if it was a Shore Turtle it would be too slow to escape. He grappled into the blaze arm outstretched, hooking the creature. He wrenched it from the earth and tumbled with it, careening through the burning woods.

They landed with a thud, though Kanohi quickly swayed to his feet. It had been a Shore Turtle, hopefully it was a bit farther from the heart of the fire now.

Kanohi grappled back into the inferno, but it … it felt different. The trees were blackened now, but the flames, did they seem to be diminishing? Was it running out of fire, so to speak?

• Like 1

Hakari coughed, while her mask made her faster than most living things on the island, the one thing she could not outrun was the smoke filled air. Even as she strived to help more Rahi escape the flames she felt herself slowing. 

Thankfully it seemed the fire was also slowing down, the fire could not go on forever, not in a swamp least of all. She retreated from the smoke for now, coughing a bit to get it out of her lungs. "Ugh..." 

IC:

If she ever— ever— ate another piece of salted fish it would be too soon.

She hadn’t eaten anything except salted fish for two weeks. Fresh fruit was a near impossibility, right from the beginning; their voyage would take too long to waste precious space on something that would spoil in days. But even the dried fruit had run out, tough though it had been by the end. Food had already begun to run perilously low. After a certain point there had been no way to fish, no line deep enough to reach so far into the ocean and no bait to be spared ensnaring a fresh catch. Even if there had been no one would have done it. A member of the crew had spent time with the Vilda in a past life and learned something of their ways. Nothing so precise as what they managed, perhaps, but enough to perceive the minds of the animals around them and glean some semblance of meaning.

And she said, unequivocally, that something below was thinking. And hungry.

No one dropped a line after that. And no one spoke, either. It might not have noticed their conversation so far above. But it surely wouldn’t notice their thoughts, so safety came first. For four days no one said a word, made a sound, or dared to even think too loudly. The ship was as silent as the grave save for the waves and the sails. Their rebounding cheer had only gone so far as their stores ran low but as they neared their second month, approached the bottom of the barrel, they encountered their first fishing boat from Mata Nui’s shores. That was when Kiyaku knew that everything would be fine. The Dashi on board had been only too happy to help their Dasakan visitors; the second wave had been so warmly received and Mata Nui, it seemed, was a friendly place.

The brig had shifted off of its course just a little, they explained; it often happened when ships had to avoid the Kumu Reefs. They weren’t proper reefs, they explained, but when the former Kumu Islets sank there wasn’t much better term for them. They weren’t on the proper course to reach their countrymen in Ga-Wahi. Kiyaku had thanked them for their helpfulness, garnered a working understanding of the island’s layout and cardinal directions, and very intentionally did not sail to Ga-Wahi.

Nokama’s Port— whoever in Zataka’s name she was— was Ga-Koran territory, but not in Ga-Wahi proper. As far as she could determine the six regions on the island were named by a prefix and a suffix, the prefix indicating the region and the suffix whether one referred to the region or the village that was its capital. It was a stupid system, and with six different fools claiming leadership in their own piece of the island it was no wonder some Dasaka had considered them barbarians. Little more than warlords, in her opinion, but that system had its benefits as well. They had survived where the Empire had fallen in mere days.

But that, too, had its benefits. 

“Name, vessel, and fee?”

“Umbraline Arsix, the Imperial trading ship Niseryuu.” The tall, tired looking Menti clad in Umbraline purple smiled apologetically. “I’m afraid I don’t have any money. Yours, I mean. I could pay you in Imperial dragons or—”

“No, no. I’m sorry. The Akiri sent word that more of you were coming, I just wasn’t expecting to see you here. Your… Rora, yes? Already made contact with Hahli. Don’t concern yourself with the fee, I’m sure we’ll come to an arrangement later. Please get comfortable after your journey.” 

“Zuto Nui bless you, and your Akiri.” ‘Arsix’ smiled and bowed low, something that clearly made the Marine a little uncomfortable. “I hope in time that we can repay you for your kindness.”

The Marine nodded, turning her head at a loud crash to her right and thus never noticing— not that she would have perceived it had she looked— the hand that slipped out and snagged the collection cup off of the counter and emptied it into her pocket. A small donation, a small beginning, but it would have to do. ‘Arsix’ nodded her head politely and walked into the growing colony as her old guise faded away and something new took its place.

Her crew would look after the Shinushya, as they always did. It was up to her to gather information.

OOC: Anyone who wants to interact with a Dasaka in Nokama’s Port, feel free!

• Like 3

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

As Kanohi landed atop a tree, the branch crumbled to ash. He tumbled down but hooked his feet around a lower branch, slowing his descent enough to fire his Volo Lutu Launcher again. Where once the sudden fall might have made him drop his gadget, thanks to him attaching it to the arm brace it hung to him regardless of his grip.

The vigilante hurtled to the treetop, stumbling onto a branch. He swayed, he liked the balance of a Le-Matoran, but he used this opportunity to look about. The fire was dwindling down, the rest of the swamp was too damp, or too spaced apart.

The swamp edge resembled Ta-Wahi, the forest reduced to charred, blackened skeletons of trees. He heard no baying of Rahi, there were no chirps of bugs, no rustling of leaves in the wind. A dead landscape.Kanohi closed his optics tightly, trying to shut out all this destruction.

He knew Fire was not evil, he even knew the flames released nutrients that had been trapped inside older trees. That the burnt soil would inspire new growth. It was a part of the cycle of life. But the smell of fire, all this death, it left his heartlight unsteady.

And he could still see Aurax dying in the embers. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 5:50 AM, ARROW404 said:

The wild Toa was everywhere at once. Even on fire, the jungle was his home, literally his element. And this was not the first time it had caught fire. The Rahi here were unused to the strange occurrence- rainforests did not spontaneously combust like this. But they knew danger, and had many right instincts. His task, to be as efficient as possible, was to clear the way for them, and so he did. Darting from tree to tree, elastic body twisting and stretching from limb to limb, he lifted a fallen log off of a Rahi's den, smothered flames here and there, untangled a Kavinika, and more.

The flames would go out, he knew. Flames could not last long in a place this wet. They were fed by the unnatural darkness hanging over the island, but that only prolonged them beyond their natural length, not indefinitely. And if Rahi died, such was the way of the jungle. The strong would live on as the weak perished.

Spotting Kanohi having trouble for a moment, he reached out with a vine and gave him a boost as he swung through the forest. A show of approval. Actions spoke louder than words, after all.

'He' cocked his head, Stepford smile still etched on 'his' mask. The true Toa beneath considered an illusory flourish right there, but decided to wait and see if Eisen would betray any awareness of the illusion. He had figured it out, she knew. She hadn't even given him a fake name, which she realized might have made for too easy a test.

He was waiting for an answer. "Our master's servants are scattered. Some have considered leaving his service altogether, believing him to be gone. Unity may not be one of our virtues, but there is strength in coordination, and our master is wise. I, more than most, am adept at traveling swiftly and unseen, and so I act as his messenger, among other things. Now that I have found you, I am to accompany you, in addition to my continued search."

IC:

"Owing to your Mahiki, I assume." A knowing half smile crossed his face. "A Kanohi I also assume is responsible for your present guise. Very well, Ushadra, accompany me you will. For the moment we will go to speak with Agrona and begin to plan how best to execute the orders we have been given."

• Like 1

fK5oqYf.jpg

On 11/8/2021 at 12:22 AM, Krayzikk said:

IC:

"Owing to your Mahiki, I assume." A knowing half smile crossed his face. "A Kanohi I also assume is responsible for your present guise. Very well, Ushadra, accompany me you will. For the moment we will go to speak with Agrona and begin to plan how best to execute the orders we have been given."

She did not disguise the gleeful smile on her face through the illusion. "With utmost pleasure," she said, following after him. "My felicitations for deducing my mask," she added. Her form shifted as she spoke, and with a shift in her sonic power, her voice rose unnaturally from the smooth and deep Heuani-esque male tone, to one more appropriate to the female shape she took next- a muted and shadowy priestess of Makuta, wearing a beautiful but twisted mockery of the Hau used to represent Mata Nui in the island's artwork.

BZPRPG Profiles

Hakari snapped her fingers in front of Kanohi's face. "Hey...hey are you with us?" He looked like he was in shock, so Hakari was trying to snap him out of it. 

Kanohi shook his head violently, his masks rattling. His cheeks burnt like the embers of the forest, his face heating up for the metal to glow a faint red. Thankful he wore not only a true mask but a wooden mask atop his mask, hopefully his embarrassment and shame was buried deep.

Regardless he nodded to Hakari, almost bowing from the motion. She … she was nicer to him than he had earned. But hopefully one day, he would prove he was not just a useless cross-wired freak. That he could help the island. In small ways, but he could still help.

The Fe-Matoran vigilante paused, before grappling to the treetops. A chunk of Le-Wahi had been burned away, destroyed by the element of Fire. But the jungle would recover, and new trees would gain nutrients from the ash of old trees. Life would recover.

And more to the point, Kanohi could see something. The fire had spread from Ta-Wahi, and now with much of the jungle burnt away, he could see farther with his optics. Less obscured his vision. The black rock of Ta-Wahi was visible like a stain on the Earth. He knew the direction to go.

He banged on one of his masks like a drum, trying to draw the group’s attention, before pointing towards the region of Fire. Grappling might be difficult with some many charred trees, but now at least they would not need to circle the volcano as tightly. They could cool low the trail of the forest fire to Ta-Koro. And maybe as they trekked that way, Lapu could try to speed up the forest’s regrowth. 

Edited by Harvali
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Harvali said:

They could cool low the trail of the forest fire to Ta-Koro. And maybe as they trekked that way, Lapu could try to speed up the forest’s regrowth.

To do such a thing would put a massive strain on the Toa of Jungle's elemental energy reserves, so the thought did little more than merely cross his mind. Perhaps when he had more time, and didn't have a job to do, he would return and work on restoring the forest, but for the time being, it would manage on its own. It would regrow in time, and already he could feel the teeming life at the edges begin to surge forth at the prospect of free ground to spread to. Life in the jungle was a never-ending struggle to use every last inch of space. By tomorrow, the charred and blackened forest floor would be a carpet of new sprouts. He almost smiled at the thought.

At Kanohi's banging, he stretched an arm up to the branch on which he was standing, and pulled himself up to his side. Yes, the way was clear before them. It was most unusual for him, to come so far north. He was about to step into uncharted territory, as far as he was concerned.

• Like 1

BZPRPG Profiles

IC Kanohi - Le-Wahi - Heading towards Ta-Wahi

Kanohi nodded and begab to climb down the tree. As he moved the burnt tree cracked, it’s charcoal bark crumbling beneath him. He winced, he was not the most adapted to scrambling up or down trees, but grappling could easily—

With a crunch a branch snapped beneath him, and the vigilante tumbled down. Immediately his fingers squeezed the trigger of his Volo Lutu Launcher. The hook went wild but caught a low branch, and as he fell he lurched to the side, swinging to the branch. His arm aches from the sudden twist, before the branch crumbled. But now he was close to the forest floor, and he safely tumbled to a stop in the mud.

Kanohi shakily stood up, his body aching and his arm sore. The charred trees were too fragile now, he could not grapple from them for the moment, plus his body ached too much to barrel through the canopy even if the trees were strong enough. So instead he shook himself free of ash and mud, his masks rattling like chimes in the wind. Then with a step he began to walk down the blackened forest towards Ta-Wahi.

As he walked he still fingered his Volo Lutu Launcher’s trigger, the device still crudely attached to his right arm. Yes its uses might be limited given the environmental destruction, it still was his main tool, and it could only help to be prepared. Who knows what they would face as they trekked northeast?

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 9:41 PM, BBBBalta said:

“It, uh, tastes like s###, though. Fair warning.”

[Le-koro, Bright Star Inn (Ferellis)]

“Thank you,” Ferellis said, taking the vial.  She might not take it—better to have a pounding headache in the morning than the bitter taste of failure—but it would be rude to refuse.

“Have a good night, Miss Vaíl.”

Then the Gukko Force detective walked shakily out of the bar.

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

IC: Niici  Fau Swamp

The boggy atmosphere felt almost choking to the Toa of Ice. The oppressive humidity felt like a defiant child pulling at your arm and holding you back as you try to make your way forward. Her main guide was her elemental affinity. She concentrated deeply in order to get a sense of the all-too-familiar crisp air. That feeling would guide her north, towards Ko-Wahi. 

“So...,” Makua had altered his pace just so that he was moving in lock-step to Niici’s right. She braced herself for whatever annoying query she was about to hear. 

“Once you have Vidar living the high life in Ko-Koro...,” Makua said, “What’s your plan? Seems like an... odd choice for a bodyguard” 

Niici kept her gaze forward, only the most subtle of grins appearing on the left side of her face.  

“You think I would need a bodyguard?”  

Tailua and I are here, so I’d hazard a guess that protection is necessary” 

“A reminder, Makua. You and your fire-friend are here to guarantee Vidar’s safety. Not mine,” Niici said with calm conviction. 

“Which leads me back to my first question,” Makua answered as smooth as he was unrelenting, “What makes this savage with scrambled eggs for brains so valuable?” 

Niici finally shifted her eyes towards Makua. The male Toa of Ice’s face was unreadable, eclipsed by excessive confidence and cold indifference.  

“Do you remember the first couple months after the Makuta was defeated?” Niici asked. 

“Sure” 

“Specifically, the Akiri? The tension between the villages? The attacks? How the oh-so-virtuous villages came so close to all-out war?” 

“I think most try to pretend that never happened” 

“Most... are fools,” Niici said, “But I learned something during that time. When villages were building up armies, inventing new and creative ways to destroy each other if it ever came to it. You see, there is wisdom, and building up an arsenal... even when you know, or hope, that you will never use it. Simply to have it... makes everything you own that much more valuable because of the security attached to it” 

“How so?” 

“Would you dare to steal from the Sentinels? Or the Guard? Or the Marines?” Niici answered, “Sure, the Sanctum Guard has always been free game, but of course, they did not heed the subtle advice implicitly given by the other villages. And now the Legacy runs it” 

Niici could see her words running through the mind of the shiny-armored Ko-Toa. Breaking them down and understanding the meaning. He was a well-paced learner. Why he associated himself with an oaf like Tailua was a mystery to her. 

“Vidar... is your Guard, your Sentinels. It’s whatever cataclysmic plans and devices they have kept away in the so-called ‘Black Room’” 

Niici nodded. “There is so much more I can do now that someone like Vidar is under my control. I can do my work knowing that I have something in my back pocket in the event that anyone tries to stonewall me again. Not that they will, of course. Mutual assured destruction dictates that I should really try all avenues of diplomacy before going into all-out war, which could destroy me” 

“A sound plan, except...,” Makua began with a slight hint of amusement lining his voice, “How will this weapon help you, if no one knows, or even believes you have it?”  

Niici scoffed. 

“How do Nuparu's classified defenses help Onu-Koro, if no one knows or believes that he has them? In fact, we have seen some of what he has  just enough to believe that he has more” 

Niici continued, her voice low and icy with conviction, “My enemies will know what I am capable of, but they won’t be able to name it, or clearly identify it” 

Niici closed her eyes. 

“But they will know 

Niici, Jed, Seba, Tailua, Vidar, and Makua continued north, until Niici could feel that unmistakable arctic breeze, and the fog had now made its presence completely known. This was the borderline, that mystical area which diving Le-Wahi and Ko-Wahi. Niici believed she had navigated far away enough from the worst of the fog to avoid getting lost. In any case, following the elemental “scent” had guided her well so far, and she knew that it would continue to lead her north.  

OOC: Moving to Ko-Wahi

Edited by Emzee
This post is actually kinda important so... cleaning it up over a year later LOL

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

IC: Hakari - Le-Wahi - Heading towards Ta-Wahi -

Hakari followed Kanohi and Lapu silently. Dealing with the fire had subdued her chattiness, plus it was hard to keep a conversation when you were the only one who could actually speak. 

It had been so long since Hakari had left Le-Wahi, she didn't know much about Ta-Wahi but she understood it was much hotter than even the jungle. She wondered how different it would be. 

IC Kanohi - Le-Wahi - To Ta-Wahi

Kanohi spent much of the journey scribbling on his tablet and clicking his bracelet. He could not grapple easily in this charred forest, but he could at least spend the longer time spent walking trying to teach his comrades what his clicking meant.

He would write down simple notes on the Telegraph language of the Matoran, and demonstrate them with his bracelet. Basics like the alphabet, and some simple words. He … liked to be chatty with people, give a lot of details, but maybe it was best he keep messages short in emergencies. Keep messages in a crisis simple, like “bad” “good” “run” “help” “no” “yes” “me” “you.”

It did not make him happy, if he only spoke in short bursts, would folks think he was not smart? A savage fool who spoke in disjointed words? But he … but saving lives was more important. But he had to prove he had value.

Still, he … he could not let another Matoran like Aurax die. Everything he could have been, everything he was, it all had been cut short. His destiny wasted. So he continued to try to teach his two taller companions. And all the while he tried not to look at the charred trees, the remnants of the jungle that had been ignited in a fury. A fury hehad been helpless to stop, only managed to try to save a few lives. 

OOC: @ARROW404 @Snelly You two okay with our next post being in Ta-Wahi? And I figured this made sense as something we could do en route. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harvali said:

IC Kanohi - Le-Wahi - To Ta-Wahi

OoC: I can't ping people so I'll respond here, but sure, after that we can go to Ta.

After a few of Kanohi's gestures, Lapu figured out he was trying to teach him something. The click language that the Fe-Matoran used, apparently. It reminded Lapu a little bit of the language of birds in the jungle, albeit much more complicated and artificial. Sentients did tend to like overcomplicating things... He saw little use for the tap-language, but he supposed that for the purpose of their journey, to stop this threat, it would be better than having to keep looking at his tablet while he wrote on it, so he played along, marking his own wood, root, and bark bracers to keep some reminders.

• Like 1

BZPRPG Profiles

IC: Hakari - To Ta-Wahi -

Hakari paid close attention to Kanohi's teachings of morse code as they walked towards Ta-Wahi. She honestly found it impressive how the Matoran had come up with a whole way of communicating without even speaking, he was far smarter than she was, or at least she thought so. 

Before they all knew it, they had reached Ta-Wahi

OOC: @Harvali @ARROW404  Hakari, Lapu, and Kanohi to Ta-Wahi

• 2 months later...

IC:

Barbarians though they were the Empire had been insane to ever, even for a moment, consider conquering the Mata Nuians.

They were fractious. Chaotic. Unruly. Dashi sought, in her opinion in vain, to keep the larger, more powerful species in check. And so many species there were! More of the Chaotic Six— apparently called 'Skakdi'— Dashi, Menti, and Datsue. And more that had not been seen upon Imperial soil in recorded history. Lanky creatures, taller even than Skakdi. A powerless caste of Menti that seemed to consider themselves a species all their own, though their similarity was such that it was hard to see. Their powers spanned the same range and their technology, undoubtedly primitive in some respects, seemed to progress with frenetic haste that the Ringti could never hope to match. Not one of these displays caused such concern, however, as the merest proof of what they were.

Lawless. Completely unbound by rule of law or nature, unfettered by any sense of restraint in the means they would use towards their end.

Underneath the Shinushya was what her crew had believed to be a trench, unusually placed but no true oddity. It had shaken them more deeply than anyone would admit to learn that the locals called it the Kumu Abyss, and that there had once been a thriving seventh village upon the small islands that now lay at the bottom of the sea. One day it was there and the next, with a shuddering felt all the way to shore, it was gone. Swallowed up by the waves like it had never been. Too sudden for survivors, too violent for close observers. Its demise was a mystery— and a warning.

Not that she had ever taken well to warnings.

Kiyaku herself was not aboard the vessel; it had passed beyond the range of her sight, on her order, to investigate that very abyss. A civilization that sank so suddenly might yet have resources to plunder, and a place so feared might prove a decent place to hide out. While they learned what they could, reporting in whenever they were close enough, she stayed within Nokama Port's grounds doing the same as she had since her arrival; learning. Learning how the natives spoke, the value of their currency, the state of their politics. Who were their enemies, who were their allies. What criminals did they speak of in the seedy bars, when the sun went down? And, of course, she pilfered. It was so easy here. Not a one had ever confronted a Sighteye, and tweaking their perception just a little could not have been simpler if they were asleep. It allowed her, bit by bit, to siphon money away from the establishments and their guests; no large sums, perhaps, but any operation would need capital.

This new island was a tremendous opportunity. But in its own way, it was more perilous than her homeland had ever been. To establish herself, and her crew, would take time and it would take patience.

But for now she could simply enjoy her drink, watching the Marines about her in the bar gossip and relax.

• Like 5

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: ??? - Bar in Nokama Port

Not far from Kiyaku sat a tall woman, another foreigner but nowhere near as fresh to the scene. The Dasaka may well notice a pair of orange eyes peering over at her, from behind a tall drink.

OOC: @KrayzikkHiya.

• Like 1

“No. Sorry, kid, that’s the one thing you can never do.”

BZPRPG Arc 3 Profiles I GOBM Profiles

• 3 weeks later...

IC:

Eyes, eyes, everywhere but just one pair on her.

It took her a few moments to catch it. The tall, Toa-like being watching her intently. It was the intent that mattered, that separated her from the people who simply saw but did not look. She pivoted in her chair to regard the other woman with a friendly looking smile, and tilted her head.

"I'm sorry, have we met somewhere?"
@Johnny Blocksville

• Like 1

fK5oqYf.jpg