BZPRPG - Onu-Wahi

OOC: 12-hour rule

IC: Akiri Nuparu (Onu-Koro)

The day had started with Onu-Koro's citizens awakening to finding fliers posted at street signs, bulletins in the newspaper and even the occasional Ussalry member with some sound-based power making their voice heard in some of the large public spaces of the Koro. The marketplace, the plaza near to Late Turaga Whenua's hut and so on. The message was the same through every venue: Akiri Nuparu had an important announcement for later that day.

Nuparu had been mulling over how to break the news he'd recieved from Tarnok for some time. The Ussalmatoran was of course right that it could not be kept secret for long, if at all. Nuparu didn't know much about how informed his fellow Akiri were, but he calculated a very high likelihood of the news already beginning to spread somewhat at this stage. There was no point in delaying the inevitable.

He tapped apprehensively the microphone he'd had prepared for this occasion. He was standing on a podium on a raised platform, but his voice could carry much further with this to amplify it. He and his team had made some very great strides with the microphones they had supplied to Ko-Koro back before its siege and capture. He would have to ask their new Akiri if they were interested in an upgrade at some point...

His train of thought was interrupted by the piercing whine of the microphone, and Nuparu remembered what he was actually here for.

"Citizens. I don't want to take up too much of your time, but I'm glad to see so many turned up today. I trust you can bring this news along to any who miss this today."

He swallowed. He suspected he had already made some people in the crowd a little on edge just by virtue of assigning this casual responsibility. They would soon understand.

"I won't mince words, everyone. I have learned recently that the Makuta has returned"

Now the crowd gave him a real reaction: silence. Absolute, total silence for a few moments, which then degenerated into a buzz of voices and cries and shouts and whatever else one could wish to describe as everyone started talking at once. The Makuta was back? Did he really say that? What's going to happen now?

"I know these are grave news", Nuparu spoke up, and waited for the crowd to quiet down again, "We never hoped this day would come, but I want to offer some encouragement"

The sea of attentive faces before him gave him some strength back in his voice as he continued.

"I say look at us. As our old enemy returns, we are stronger than ever. We are wealthier, more populous, potential allies arrive from beyond the sea. Ko-Koro has been liberated. This island is our home, and we defended it once, we'll do so again"

Nuparu neglected to add some endcap in the way of saying 'thank you' or invoking the Prosperity rhetoric he'd been adopting recently. It felt like his statement spoke for itself.

The crowd gave him a loud cheer, and Nuparu felt satisfied he'd done about as well as he could have. Onu-Koro, at least, was going to face the future.

• Like 2

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

On 12/16/2022 at 10:03 PM, oncertainty said:

IC: Gonrae - Onu-Koro

The Matoran's smile was genuine. It was nice to meet someone who wanted to help people. At the same time, if he had known something more valuable to do with his time he wouldn't still be here. Or anyone else's time, for that matter.

"I can't say I do, not just like that anyway. There are always people who need help, that's for sure. Finding them is the trouble."

He was lost in thought for a moment. He didn't much like to not give a substantive answer to a straight question.

"Some would say join the Ussalry, or the Gukko Force, or the Sentinels, or what have you. Every Koro has one, and they're always looking for another pair of hands. Don't get me wrong though, some would question how much help you can really get done doing that. I might even be one of them, on a more cynical day. And then of course, people like you sometimes get together and solve things more directly. The Maru and the Fowadi and all that business. Can't say someone like me knows much about how to get involved with that though."

Leaning back in his chair, he sighed and then continued.

"These days it seems like there's always some trouble on the horizon. Things seemed like they were getting better for a little while, and then worse again for a little while, and now it's all awfully hard to tell. I'm taking the long route around to say I don't know any one good answer. Wish I did."

Not being very useful, was he?

"I hope I haven't just made things more confusing. I'm liable to do that sort of thing, I believe."

OOC: @That Matoran with a Vahi

IC: Akie - Onu-Koro Restaurant

Elbows propped on the table, fists pressed together, the mouthpiece of her mask resting thoughtfully upon them, Akie frowned to herself as she turned over the response she was receiving. Guard forces, well... she couldn't really see herself in a uniform; but more than that, it was hard to see herself really as part of a group generally. Wherever she was from, the gravity-powered hero was fairly certain that she hadn't been part of a Toa team, she must have been some kind of lone hero, and she had a feeling that none of the military forces here would really be happy with her chosen laid-back attitudes to life.

She didn't know who the Maru and Fowadi were.

"So I'm getting a kind of 'just wander around and something will become obvious' kind of vibe, does that sum it up about right?"

It seemed to be a troubled sort of island that she'd landed on, if she was reading his answer correctly. Like he'd said, it wasn't exactly a clear and specific solution; but it was still more of an answer than she'd started off with.

In the distance, she could see a sudden bustle of activity, Matoran seeming to come from several different directions and heading in one particular way, as if something was happening a little further into the city that no-one wanted to miss. Her head tilted slightly; but unless her companion thought it was anything significant, she wouldn't make any particular move herself.

Instead, her attention turned once more to the conversation.

"What about you? If it's not too rude to ask; what do you do here?"

OOC: I figured I'd leave it for now and could acknowledge it in the next post if need be. But did Akie and Gonrae ought to be able to hear Nuparu's announcement in the previous post from where they're sitting?

@oncertainty

• Like 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

IC: Oliphko (Papa-Nihu Reef)

She nodded excitedly as she also stood up. "Yes, yes. Not only did I try that but I also mimicked your pose. And... I felt some strange similarities between the stone and the water around us. Now the dampness doesn't feel so bad and I am more in touch with my element!"

There was a slightly awkward pause.

"So uh... what about you?"

OOC: @Geardirector

Edited by Daniel the Finlander

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

OOC @That Matoran with a Vahi @oncertainty your characters can hear Nuparu just fine

IC: Ferron (Papa-Nihu Reef)

"I'm glad to hear it, it's roughly what I was hoping we could achieve by trying this idea."

He calmly shook his head with a gentle expression when Oliphko raised her second query, "No I tried instead to focus on maintaining calm. I... well I didn't really feel the need to try and reach out to my element at the moment, that was for you today. I managed to make myself feel a little better, though, so we both achieved what we were going out to do."

The Turaga smiled as he lifted the rod he'd placed in the ground to mount the lightstone on, and decided to keep it as such while he walked out towards the mouth of the cave.

OOC: @Daniel the Finlander

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: Gonrae - Onu-Koro

On 1/26/2023 at 6:42 PM, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

"So I'm getting a kind of 'just wander around and something will become obvious' kind of vibe, does that sum it up about right?"

Gonrae leaned over in his chair and turned back and forth, looking past Akie and down the street. She was asking him a question and he was already somewhere else.

On 1/26/2023 at 6:42 PM, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

"What about you? If it's not too rude to ask; what do you do here?"

Another question. Two parallel tracks in mind now, what he was looking at and what Akie was saying. Too bad this Iron Mahi only had the one set of wheels.

"Uh huh, that's about right for most people like you, at least."

He was standing up as he said it.

"As for what I do, well, I'm an engineer. That means a lot of different things for a lot of people, but in my case it mostly means that I design pullies and brackets and calculate tolerances for bridges and things. Not by choice, I mean, that sounds as boring to me as it probably does to you."

Then he was up from the chair, and with some speed he was at the edge of the porch. He peered along the street and towards the edge of town, where something was certainly going on. The crackle and whine of a microphone coming on piqued his interest immediately.

"Something interesting happening out there, any chance you'd walk with me?"

Just as soon as he asked the question, he remembered he hadn't paid for anything. Nothing for it now, something was happening out there. He pulled his lenses from his mask and stowed them quickly in a pouch on his belt, then pulled a small bag of widgets from another pouch. He tossed it towards Akie, not looking to see if the Toa actually caught it.

"I'm sorry, but would you mind leaving a handful of those on the table for me? I can't remember how much my drink cost, and I don't want to wait around to find out."

OOC: @That Matoran with a Vahi yeah that sounds good. maybe we can say they listen while they walk towards the crowd? and thanks @Geardirector

On 8/12/2022 at 8:05 PM, Emzee said:

Now looking almost completely fresh (but feeling the exact opposite), Ra'lhen made his way downstairs. Stannis was already there. Ra'lhen hoped he hadn't kept the Granite Guardian waiting for too long.

IC Stannis | Onu-Koro

When Ra'lhen came out of the inn he found his friend under a lightstone streetlight, sitting cross-legged in what seemed like a placid meditative trance, but there was an eeriness to the Maru's visage as he had not shut his eyes. Worse yet, the harsh yellow glow of the lamp cast his brown armor a pallid hue and made the scars and scratches appear in stark contrast, flecks of mica under a black light, and those grey eyes beyond it all pretending the world and all within it was dead to Stannis. The ruse evaporated as soon as Ra'lhen approached, however, and what had once seemed lifeless stirred with conviviality with instantaneous transition.

The two were in stark contrast. The Maru looked almost ill in his physical state, marks and broken weapons and all, but his voice was assured and content, much the opposite to Ra'lhen who had washed and polished himself up but felt tired and distant inside. Whether Stannis was oblivious to that was not apparent as he got up and looked his friend up and down once in approval. "You look well," he said. "Sulov's hut is this way."

They were mere paced along when he asked, "Are you nervous?" A beat passed, marked by the drumming of machinery elsewhere, before he suddenly added, "I am."

@Emzee

• Like 1

On 12/23/2022 at 11:31 PM, Snelly said:

IC: Oceanna Gallywix - Onu-koro -

"So, do I need to sign something or...anything?" Oceanna wanted to be sure before she just took off, she wanted that dang reward. 

OOC: @ARROW404 It's been a while so I figured I'd get this going once again. 

OOC: Sorry about that!

IC: Ussalry Toa guy

"No, nothing to sign. Well, not for you anyhow," the Toa said with a smirk. "Your name and where to find you will suffice. Once we've booked these guys and ascertained their crimes, we'll figure out what you're owed. Should take a day. Two, at most."

Mid-afternoon the next day, there was a knock at Oceanna's door. Aar, Exo pilot currently grounded due to repairs, had been delegated to bring the reward to her, and now stood at the door of her abode.

OOC: Figured I was puppeting NPCs too much anyway.

On 1/22/2023 at 3:42 AM, Void Emissary said:

IC: Nika | Ussalry HQ

"Cultured Gentry," Nika said, scratching his chin. "Heard of them in certain circles. Money like that only ever bought with blood; but Turaga blood? Why disrupt the status quo so drastically? Would only make sense if Turaga would oppose something important for them going forward. But what?"

He glanced to Pae, and added, "Perhaps Akiri here has past records from Whenua, evidence of negotiations gone wrong with Gentry."

He gave a pointed look over to Onepu, too; the two of them would require official recommendations for a meeting with Nuparu.

OOC: @Palm@ARROW404

-Void

IC: Onepu

The Captain inclined his head, taking Nika's meaning. "Of course. Nuparu will be more than happy to help. I already told him of your errand the other day, so you won't have to bring him up to speed." He held their permission-to-leave slip a little higher and let them take it. "For the time being, I recommend you two get yourselves something hot to eat- my treat, for your long stay here- and a place to lay your heard- also my treat, same reason. I'll catch Nuparu after his big speech today and let him know you'll swing by soon."

• Like 1

BZPRPG Profiles
If I go AWOL for a while, feel free to contact me via Discord

IC: Ra’lhen — Onu-Koro

“In a word? Yes,” Ra’lhen admitted, “Every Maru I meet, I fear for the regard in which I’ll be held”

Ra’lhen paused for a half-beat, barely giving time to gather the remainder of his thoughts. He knew he was sounding like a stubborn Mahi just making the same trite bleats at this point. He needed to express a more befitting concern.

“But even if Sulov, like you, holds no grudges for the past crimes, he is still the successor of the Great Onua. I believe in the Prophecies, and Sulov deserves reverence for what he has done and for what he will do in the future. It’s why I try to look as clean as possible. Like some humble attempt to wash my past sins away.”

They continued walking through the streets of Onu-Koro, the dynamism picking up as the morning progressed. Engineers and prospectors were commuting to and fro to get to their destinations, while some were working on the very machinery that Ra’lhen and Stannis were walking past.

“And how could you possibly be nervous? He’s your friend, right?” Ra’lhen asked, a hint of incredulity in his voice.

Then, as if he invoked the name too many times, Ra’lhen felt a distinct feeling they were reaching their destination.

“Is… this the place?” Ra’lhen asked as one particular hut entered his field of view.

OOC: @Umbraline Yumiwa Let me know if there's something different Ra'lhen should be seeing or if you got something else in mind. I'll edit. 

• Like 2

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

3 hours ago, ARROW404 said:

IC: Ussalry Toa guy

"No, nothing to sign. Well, not for you anyhow," the Toa said with a smirk. "Your name and where to find you will suffice. Once we've booked these guys and ascertained their crimes, we'll figure out what you're owed. Should take a day. Two, at most."

Mid-afternoon the next day, there was a knock at Oceanna's door. Aar, Exo pilot currently grounded due to repairs, had been delegated to bring the reward to her, and now stood at the door of her abode.

IC: Oceanna - Her House -

It was nice having her own place and not living on the streets, even if she was still relatively poor. She opened the door soon after Aar knocked, looking like she was half asleep still as she stared at him.

"Yeah?"

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC Stannis | Onu-Koro

"Well, the dignity suits you," Stannis said and offered a humble smile. 

“And how could you possibly be nervous? He’s your friend, right?” Ra’lhen asked, a hint of incredulity in his voice.

"If Sulov were not my friend I wouldn't fear his judgement," he responded. "It's because I love him that his opinion of me bears weight. I think you feel similarly as well."

“Is… this the place?” Ra’lhen asked as one particular hut entered his field of view.

It was not quite a hut, more of a small warehouse with an attached dwelling, but the industrious nature of the place belied its status as the home for the koro's beloved toa-protector. Almost everyone in Onu-Koro had a side gig, the hustle culture kept thriving by the city of industry where engineers, greasers, and miners alike were all entrepreneur inventors on the side, and even the most humble sluice operator was the Founder and CEO of something. Since everyone had their own business, Sulov Maru was no exception to the rule. This large hut was most assuredly his friend's place as it was marked primarily by the sign by the front door that said 

:s::u::l::m_o::v: :m::a::r::u:':s: :t::r::a::i::l: :m::i::x: + :h::m_o::m_o::k::a::h:  :b::a::r: 

((( :c::l::m_o::s::e::m_d:  :f::m_o::r:  :r::e::m::m_o::m_d::e::l::i::n::g: )))

!!! :g::r::a::n::m_d: :r::e:-:m_o::m_p::e::n::i::n::g:  :c::m_o::m::i::n::g:  :s::m_o::m_o::n: !!!

Below that, scrawled in as an afterthought, was an addendum: "But come in anyway!"

So this is where all my gorp is made, Stannis thought as he reached for the door's handle. "It's the place.

@Emzee

Edited by Umbraline Yumiwa
  • Like 3

IC: Akiri Nuparu (Nuparu's Office)

After returning to his office having delivered the speech, Akiri Nuparu was sitting at his desk, and had returned to his usual tinkering habits. There were hopefully some improvements he could make to the Ussalry's equipment, or to Exo-Matoran designs, or improve their supply of Rakshi parts to make more...

He stopped himself. This was an old habit, but he wasn't convinced it was going to serve him best. He'd seen pretty reasonable dividends from the relatively simple welfare systems he had set up some months back. The point was that everyone had the basics covered, and could work to apply themselves from there, it wasn't the most complicated or glamorous setup, but he had to respect results. People who felt like they were being looked out for, had reasons to stick with you.

But he couldn't resist imagining what was going to come next. His mind was his greatest asset, and now he needed to put that towards the safety of his Koro, and make sure he could find support from the other Koros. Him and Renaka had been getting along just fine so far, and that was a start, though he knew very well that she had her misgivings. He could not blame her for that.

"Akiri! Onepu says he has someone waiting to see you, said he had mentioned something to you about 'the gentry'"

He looked up, blinked a couple of times as he searched his mind... Aha! Yes, he remembered now. This was good timing.

"By all means, I can see them right away"

OOC: @ARROW404 @Void Emissary @Palm

• Like 1

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

"Well, that's good to hear! This was a productive meditation session," she said in a chirpy tone. As Ferron headed towards the exit, she followed after him.

"Sooo... what next?" she asked. "Training of some kind? Or do we head straight back to Onu-Koro?"

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

"Oh, umm... alright!" It was true, Ferron had more important things to do than to spend all day with her. While disappointed, she was also somewhat relieved that he didn't propose combat training or something else like that.

"Well, let's head back to Onu-Koro then. I'm... not sure what I should do myself. Maybe I'll go visit Po-Koro..."

She exited the cave and saw the ocean again. This time, it didn't make her feel uneasy in the slightest. Water was just another element like stone, and part of a greater whole. Meditating with Ferron had made her realize that.

"And, uh, by the way... thank you for this. Just thought I should say that."

• Like 1

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

IC: Ra’lhen — Onu-Koro, Sulov Maru’s Trail Mix and Hookah Bar

As the Sentinel approached the massive hut, he began to make out the sign posted by the front door. Ra’lhen nodded as he heard the Toa Maru of Stone’s confirmation, and began to fiddle with the beaded necklace that he still wore. Its shiny white stone, carved long ago by Hafu and kept by Ra’lhen as a good luck charm, caught and reflected the lights that came from all directions in the underground city. Ra’lhen’s gaze did not falter from the sign, and he prayed for the charm to grant him luck once again.

“I know this place is getting remodeled, but I hope he has enough trail mix on hand to keep us both going for a couple of days,” Ra’lhen said. Even with his nerves, he was looking forward to meeting another of the Toa Maru now that his armor and Toa tool concealed his past. Sulov would not know that the two men had encountered before. Unless Stannis decides to open with that.

The absurdist thought brought a slight smile to Ra'lhen as Stannis opened the door. He then followed Stannis into the large hut, eager to see how the earth Maru lived.

OOC: @Umbraline Yumiwa I'll let you describe the interior.

• Like 2

IC: Ferron (Papa-Nihu Reef)

"I'll be staying here, but making a visit elsewhere sounds like a good idea." Ferron remarked as they walked together towards the entrance back into the tunnel leading to Onu-Koro.

The Forgemaster got very quickly accustomed to having his metal rod serve as a walking stick, and with the lightstone fixed at its end he lit the way until they met the main tunnel road, and the lighting became consistent.

"You're very welcome, by the way," he added to Oliphko's second remark, "I'll see about trying it again sometime if you like? There's always more that can be done with that sort of thing."

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: Oliphko (Onu-Wahi Tunnels)

She nodded and smiled. "Sure, I'm always up to meditate more! I'm glad to hear you're up for it too."

As they headed down the tunnel, she suddenly stopped at an intersection. "Umm... do you want me to escort you all the way back to Onu-Koro? Because if we part ways now, I can head straight to Po-Wahi." She realized her suggestion might've sounded insensitive, so she quickly continued: "I-I'm fine with going on a detour, though! I'm not in a rush to visit home or anything."

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

IC: Ferron (Onu-Wahi Tunnels)

"I'll manage just fine, the road at this point is quite safe" Ferron answered, and gave Oliphko a smile, "but like you said yourself, it's not something you're rushing towards, either. Whatever decision you make is up to you"

Ferron turned and continued to walk towards Onu-Koro. If Oliphko needed to catch up with him, she would be quite able to.

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: Oliphko (Onu-Wahi Tunnels)

She hesitated for a moment, glancing at the tunnel, then back at Ferron. "Uuuuuh... I think I'll go see Onu-Koro one last time before heading out!"

Quickly catching up to him with a sprint, she chuckled awkwardly. "Sorry about that, I'm no good at making decisions. So, uh, anything you wanna talk about while we walk? Or should we enjoy the echoes of the tunnels in silence?"

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

IC: Pae - Onu-Koro - Nuparu's Office

"By all means, I can see them right away"

Onepu gestured to the door, and Pae stepped inside, followed by Nika. He looked at the Akiri seated in his desk, and moved out of the way for Nika, "Hello, Akiri," Pae said - feeling tired already about all the speaking today. He looked to Nika next, hoping he would take charge.

OOC: @Geardirector @ARROW404 @Void Emissary

Edited by Palm

samusbzpsig2.png.4c2dcd02e48c2219fb375b936c4a17ee.png
| BZPRPG Profiles |

On 1/30/2023 at 7:08 PM, Snelly said:

It was nice having her own place and not living on the streets, even if she was still relatively poor. She opened the door soon after Aar knocked, looking like she was half asleep still as she stared at him.

"Yeah?"

IC: Aar, Oceanna's doorstep

The unassuming-looking Matoran guard gave her a salute of greeting. "Apologies, it looks like I woke you up. I'm here to deliver you this." He held up a cloth bag stamped with the Ussalry's logo. It looked heavy for its size. "For your help apprehending some suspected criminals the other day."

He never could quite get used to talking with civilian Toa. Twice his height and ten times his power, but he was the one who was supposed to command respect and protect them in a crisis. It was odd. He didn't let it show on his face though.

OoC: I don't even know what widgets are worth, full disclosure. Just uh... the bag contains about what you'd expect I guess?

@Palm@Geardirector@Void Emissary

IC: Onepu - Akiri's hut

Onepu loved visiting Nuparu. When he talked with his old friend, it almost- almost- felt like old times. He did not like visiting the Akiri's hut, however. It reminded him of Whenua. Life had been good before... Before the Toa and Takua-

He caught himself before fell too deep into reminiscing. "Gentlemen, I think you've got this. He waved his former charges toward the door. "I think I'll go for a walk. Nuparu can give a holler if he needs me."

• Like 1

BZPRPG Profiles
If I go AWOL for a while, feel free to contact me via Discord

IC: Nika | Nuparu's Office

"Have no doubt," said Nika to Captain Onepu without turning his head, before he stepped into the hut.

"Captain Onepu sent us," he said without breaking stride, elaborating for Pae, until he was standing right next to his companion. "Suggested some kind of partnership between us and Onu-Koro proper. In regards to the Turaga murders. Shared belief that money was key to operation -- no merc would go after such high-profile target otherwise. Floated name of Cultured Gentry over to us, possibility that the Gentry and old Whenua had some kind of disagreement. Turaga was holding them back; needed handling. Thought you might have records of old negotiations between Whenua and key lobbyists, see what comes of it."

He leaned back slightly with that, bringing his suitcase over and in front of his thighs, almost casually.

"Any records of interrogations with Turaga killer you had in custody would be good, too," he added. Nuparu would need to be keen to catch it, but Pae would have known Nika well enough to notice just the vaguest ghost of a smile on his lips. Their exact fate had never been conclusively ascertained, but rumours had lingered on the street for years that the Ussalry had captured Whenua's killer just after the act... only to lose them again shortly afterwards.

OOC: @Palm@Geardirector@ARROW404

-Void

• Like 1

[ BZPRPG ]

IC: Ferron (Onu-Koro Highway)

"Well, I'm not under any obligation to maintain cryptic mystique, so by all means" Ferron replied good-naturedly.

"What occupies my thoughts is something that you'll have to forgive me if you've already told me, but... how was it that you came to be a Toa in the first place? The Stone that granted you your new powers, how did you acquire it?"

IC: Akiri Nuparu (Nuparu's Office)

It took a second or two for Nuparu to grasp Nika's curt speech patterns and gather his words. The information needed only be processed, and Nuparu's expression grew increasingly attentive.

"I see... yes," he muttered, reaching over to one specific iStone among the ones spread across his desk, "I'm glad you came here"

"I have to confess I've neglected to look at those parts of Whenua's paperwork. It's a sore topic, and also not really to my tastes." Nuparu exposited as he scratched out a few notes with his signature prominently featured.

"With all that said, you have my permission on both counts to conduct this investigation. Whenua's possible dealings with the Gentry, and... our interrogation of his killer while in custody" Nuparu did hesistate for a moment, before reaching out with the hand holding the signed permission slips. These people were well-informed.

OOC: @Palm @Void Emissary

Edited by Geardirector
  • Like 1

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: Nika | Nuparu's Office

Nika took the papers, glancing down at them briefly to confirm their correctness, and tucked them into an interior pocket of his coat. He could barely restrain a chuckle at his current situation: first Korzaa, then Angelus, and now the Akiri of Onu-Koro? He and his companions were really racking up government contracts. If this investigation took long enough, they could end up juggling deals all across the island.

"Much obliged, Akiri," he said. "We'll attend to your village's records, then. In meantime, would recommend caution. No need for third leader in as many years."

OOC: @Palm@Geardirector

-Void

• Like 1

[ BZPRPG ]

IC: Oliphko (Onu-Koro Highway)

"Oh, I don't think I've told you that. Or uh... anyone else, either. I was just... lost in my life at the time, unsure of what my destiny was, so I wandered out into the wilderness of Po-Wahi, trying to understand my purpose through intense meditation... until one day, when I was looking for shelter, I found a cave... unlike other caves, it wasn't empty, but had a Toa stone, wrapped in cloth and placed on a pedestal in front of a forgotten shrine."

"It might've just been a coincidence," she said and shrugged, "but I've always believed that I had found my destiny. Even though I didn't really understand why I should be a Toa. It's been hard for me to adapt to my new life... sometimes I wish I was still a Matoran. Yet I have to follow the path that has been laid out for me, no matter what."

She smiled slightly. "And you've uh, helped with that."

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

IC: Ferron (Onu-Koro Highway)

The lights of Onu-Koro were plainly visible to them now, Ferron listening intently to Oliphko's account of how she had attained her powers and become a Toa in the first place. It was interesting; he had heard of a few examples of this before, of these abandoned Toa Stones that were occasionally just found out in remote, unexplored locations. He sometimes wondered about those. A lot of the island's early Toa had suffered grim fates as they tried to follow the mantle of the First Toa. Sometimes, things just got lost, or was left in hopes of being needed in better times.

"I'm glad to hear that," Ferron answered gratefully, "I've been a little bit nervous about just how well I'm pulling off that whole 'Turaga' thing in the first place."

"It's often pointless, in my opinion to speculate on why things happen. The question that matters is 'what are you going to do about it?'"

"I had to answer that question many times," the Forgemaster muttered, his voice darkening, "I... I'm just glad I have made choices I can live with"

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

On 2/4/2023 at 12:02 PM, Emzee said:

As the Sentinel approached the massive hut, he began to make out the sign posted by the front door. Ra’lhen nodded as he heard the Toa Maru of Stone’s confirmation, and began to fiddle with the beaded necklace that he still wore. Its shiny white stone, carved long ago by Hafu and kept by Ra’lhen as a good luck charm, caught and reflected the lights that came from all directions in the underground city. Ra’lhen’s gaze did not falter from the sign, and he prayed for the charm to grant him luck once again.

“I know this place is getting remodeled, but I hope he has enough trail mix on hand to keep us both going for a couple of days,” Ra’lhen said. Even with his nerves, he was looking forward to meeting another of the Toa Maru now that his armor and Toa tool concealed his past. Sulov would not know that the two men had encountered before. Unless Stannis decides to open with that.

The absurdist thought brought a slight smile to Ra'lhen as Stannis opened the door. He then followed Stannis into the large hut, eager to see how the earth Maru lived.

OOC: @Umbraline Yumiwa I'll let you describe the interior.

IC Stannis | Onu-Koro @ Sulov Maru’s Trail Mix and Hookah Bar

It was hard to take the military out of a man even if the man left the military. Sulov was an enigmatic man, even in his hometown, who's background and influences were about as well known as the ingredients to Renning Hot House and left a lot to the imagination. In contrast, to those who knew him—who truly knew him—beneath his two layers of armor and straight angles there was an affable and steadfast man with taste even a Cultured Gentryman couldn't help but appreciate buried under mysterious pasts and austere visages.

His residential hut and hookah bar matched such a juxtaposition, as the door revealed as it gave way to Stannis' push. There was a simple undercurrent to Sulov Koskium's abode, ceramic benches and industrial shelves with filament light bulbs against monochromatic walls, but countering that was upholstery of tufted velveteen and fuzzy rugs, gold and white brocade pillows and sueded bean bags that invited one to sink into the cozy luxury, all with ornate hookahs at every booth that practically begged to be imbibed. It was a scene of maximalism thrown against a wall of brutalism, and it didn't feel like it would be out of place to find a spare Gucci belt buckle laying beside a bowl of whole-grain organic gourmet granola on the polished concrete bar in front of the block-letter menu. 

The maitre d'maison was not immediately apparent, but at a far corner of the establishment Stannis perceived a latch's action and a rustle behind a heavy curtain. It was either the entrance to the granola business' larger industrial hut or the vestibule to Sulov's personal quarters, but regardless of the answer the result was the same. An instant later, a hulking man of straight lines and eclipsing muscles appeared and stopped in the jamb to leer his heavy emerald eyes and match Stannis' pearly gaze. 

For an instant that felt like an eon, neither spoke, each Maru staring the other down like quarreling siblings after a decade apart, and Ra'lhen was unsure if they should leave before things got more tense, but after a long pause Stannis' chin quivered and his eyes welled up in unrestrained emotion as he held up three fingers. "Sorry, we didn't reserve. A table for three... if there's availability." 

@Emzee @Void Emissary

Edited by EmperorWhenua
  • Like 3

IC:

Take a moment. Take it in. Take him in: Stannis, your commander, your old friend, who you hadn't seen since you and Reo and Leah and everyone else had cracked the nut that was occupied Ko-Koro and stolen away the Necromancer's prized hostages. Since that disastrous cross-Koro bar hop that Reo had managed to convince all of them, even Stannis, to participate in.

Since that cold shiver down Sulov's spine: colder than Ko-Wahi and darker than death.

Sulov had heard on the grapevine that Echelon was dead now, the rest of his lieutenants scattered to the six winds. Two months of hunting hadn't turned them up, even as he had pulled every loose thread he found dangling, turned over every rock, called in every favour. (A Maru gets a lot of those, too, even nowadays). Two months of hunting, knocking down the doors of historians and theologians, astrologers and acolytes to find the truth of the matter when it came to the questions of devils and their resurrections. Two months of hunting, and he'd come back home, looked into his bathroom mirror, and his face had been looking back at him-- and Sulov had known.

So he had decided to sit, and to wait. He had tried to pull another Hiemalis, to run off half-cocked into the wilderness and head the monsters off at the pass before their shadows darkened the children's windowsills. Maybe to even pull off a Stannis and get his own personal Wander on, stumble onto Destiny's path. But that was erroneous, downright impossible, for an ontological reason:

Sulov wasn't Stannis.

Same as Stannis wasn't Sulov, or Reo, or Tahu, or even Pohatu. A bishop doesn't move left-right and a rook doesn't do diagonals -- and Sulov doesn't wander. Stannis does. He was the bishop of the Maru; Sulov, the rook.

But, hey.

You ever win a chess game with just a bishop?

They'd live this time, Sulov had thought, storming his way through Ko-Koro all those months back, because they did this together.

So he had waited for Stannis to wander in.

"Hm," he finally said. "I guess can push some bookings around."

(Hadn't expected the other guy, though.)

OOC: @EmperorWhenua@Emzee

-Void

• Like 2

[ BZPRPG ]

IC: Oliphko (Onu-Koro Highway)

"Well, I uh, think you're doing a good job being a Turaga so far! And umm... yeah, I suppose you are right. Still in the process of figuring out what to do, hehe... I hope I can also make such choices."

They were getting closer to Onu-Koro, though it was still some distance away.

"You uh, don't have to tell me about those choices, but I wouldn't mind hearing more about your past as a Toa. Maybe I can learn something from your past experiences?"

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

Time seemed to stand still as Ra'lhen silently glanced at the restrained reactions of Stannis and Sulov. While the Vo-Toa was utterly clueless to their recent history (especially Sulov’s), it was blatantly obvious that they were both weighed down by their recent challenges.

Being Toa of Earth and Stone, weren’t they weighed down enough?

Finally, Stannis seemed to have cracked slightly. He raised a hand, gesturing a “three”.

Sorry, we didn't reserve. A table for three... if there's availability,” Stannis said, his voice almost cracking under the emotional burden.

There was more silence. In a strange way, the tension was almost a relief for Ra’lhen. As a besmirched Toa rarely on good terms with his Sentinel colleagues, tension was a familiar feeling. It was also something few others found relatable. Despite the friction of the situation, Ra’lhen kept confidence in the Onu-Toa’s character. Ra’lhen remained silent.

“Hm,” Sulov finally said. “I guess can push some bookings around.”

There was another moment of tense silence.

“Thank you, Mr. Sulov,” Ra’lhen finally spoke up and extending his right hand, “I’m Ra’lhen Kodin; it's a pleasure to meet you”

OOC: @Void Emissary @EmperorWhenua

Edited by Emzee

IC:

Sulov twitched his right hand, drew to it the dust in the air which met, congealed, hardened into a fist of oven-charred ceramic without ever touching flame. Opening it up, he reached over and gripped Ra'lhen's own hand, shaking. (Cark, good grip on this one. Boxer's shake; wonder how'd he feel about going a couple rounds after all this is said and done).

"Just Sulov's fine," he said. "'Any friend of Stannis,' and all that. Let's sit."

OOC: @Emzee@EmperorWhenua

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC Stannis | Onu Koro @ Sulov Maru’s Trail Mix and Hookah Bar

"We're here on business, brother: The first is to discuss my gorp subscription," Stannis said as he wandered to a corner booth. Concrete wrapped in velvet, he thought as he slid in, A fitting metaphor for him, though his thoughts did not quite settle on why it was so fitting yet. "The truth is I'm thinking of cancelling, but I was wondering what sort of retention offers you have. Ra'lhen is here as my backup in case 'customer support' had a bad day."

It was another one of the Wanderer's dry, wry jokes, not the kind to make an audience laugh—the premise of Stannis Maru doing stand-up comedy for actual laughs is, in itself, a laughable proposition—but the kind if humour that makes one think. Not a lot, just enough to take the edge off of a sharp thought, the kind of humour that can make someone go "Heh," and briefly forget about being angry. For those who knew the man, it was a brief glimmer of the soul Stannis had inherited, the soul of Pohatu. 

Pohatu was a better comedian and generally kept better touch with his friends, but there was a healthy dose of his affable charisma that trickled down to Stannis, for better or for worse, and with that came a gift that helped the Wanderer navigate the prickly situations with akiri, villagers, and even his own brothers and sisters. He could bridge virtually any gap or at least show that he was trying. To Sulov, the joke was a indicator of the Wanderer's temperament and a reminder that this was still the man he'd loved so deeply before, and Stannis sealed the joke with his familiar friendly thin and lopsided smile. 

@Void Emissary @Emzee

• Like 1

IC: Ferron (Onu-Koro)

"I'm sure we could. How about you come with me back home, and we get something to eat, then we can have a moment to share some of that?" Ferron answered. The Turaga sounded quite animated by the suggestion, and took a moment to look around as they entered the Koro itself. The Highway led directly onto walkways that would lead them further into the Koro itself. Ferron's personal business was in the Koro's middle ring, nearby to residential areas. On their way to it, some place to find an eating stand or diner would be very doable.

Ferron was not much of a cook or a breadwinner himself, but as a citizen of Onu-Koro some basic amount of such was now guaranteed to him through Nuparu's recent reforms. Some businesses had sprung up among the ever-enterprising Onu-Koronans offering to take the basic foodstuffs given in allowance to people and turn them into something more flavorful and filling than mere sustenance. Ferron had become a patron of one such establishment not too far from his forge.

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: Oliphko (Onu-Koro)

"Oh, uh, you're inviting me to your home?" she replied and chuckled nervously. No one had done that before, so she wasn't sure how to respond for a while. Eventually, she did blubber out a response. "I uuh, sure, I guess, yeah! Haven't eaten anything in a while..."

She followed him to the Koro, which was illuminated by numerous lightstones. Even though she had gotten used to them after all the time she had spent in the Koro, their glow felt like a cheap replacement for sunlight now that she had seen it again. It made her even more homesick for Po-Wahi than before, as the sky was always clear and bright there.

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

IC:

Sulov snorted-- which, for someone his size, sent the tassels of the nearest cushion a-fluttering in the wind. He joined Stannis in the corner booth, reclining on those same cushions, his ceramic hand gripping the back of the seat. The designers had wanted to make the seats larger than average, a way to accommodate the mountainous size of their owner: but Sulov had wanted anyone to be able to come in and sit, and insisted the booths remain as they ever were. Karz, he was too big to go anywhere, anyway-- why stop that here?

"We're coming out with new varieties," he said, shrugging and holding up his hands, palms-up: what else can I say? "Dried madu cabolo bits. Dry it right, it doesn't explode. The taste... makes you appreciate the other gorp more."

OOC: @Emzee@EmperorWhenua

-Void

• Like 1

[ BZPRPG ]

IC: Ferron (Onu-Koro)

"Well, we won't be sitting down to eat inside there, actually. There are better places for that nowadays" Ferron surmised.

Ferron's Forge was, indeed, not the most glamouros sight as the two of them approached the building. The front that faced outwards looked like quite a traditional Onu-Matoran domed hut, just significantly scaled up for someone quite a bit larger than Ferron himself to get through. Even though Ferron was no longer a bulky Toa, his customers could be. At least Oliphko didn't have to bend down to make it inside.

The storefront space met them at first as they went inside. A pretty significant stretch stood between that and the actual smithing station that stood against one of the walls, the pipes seen sticking out of Ferron's roof were connected here. Chimneys did not exist in Onu-Koro, here there were pipes, pipes everywhere bundled together and snaked up along the sides of the giant "bubble" the underground city sat in, and went through the roof.

Ferron went past both of these and headed further back. At the end of the hut there was a corridor with steps led towards a lower section not visible from the outside.

Ferron disappeared down there, and came back up with a backpack, heading back out towards the exit.

"This is all I need from here, let's go"

BZPRPG Profiles

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: Oliphko (Onu-Koro)

She followed him inside, stood in awkward silence as he went inside a corridor, then tilted her head in confusion after he returned.

"Uuh, what did you get? A backpack? What's inside it? Food? And where are we going?" Her questions poured out in a torrent.

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

On 2/14/2023 at 12:43 PM, ARROW404 said:

IC: Aar, Oceanna's doorstep

Oceanna was quick to snatch the bag, opening it not unlike a child opening a present. Her eyes lit up a bit as she saw how much was inside, but she quickly composed herself soon after as she looked back at Aar. 

"No problem! I was happy to help." The guitarist gave a thumbs up.

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar