BZPRPG - Po-Wahi

IC: Muir (Po-Koro)

"Makes sense you wouldn't be used to the light," Muir noted, as Vrill's shades grew in. Talk on the way to Stannis' address - Muir liked to keep appraised of such things, even though their erstwhile Toa Maru never seemed to be in town - was sparse, determination and the occasional barb sufficing to fill the air between the two men as they walked.

Muir wished he could have been surprised to find Stannis’ home empty. It seemed to be the default state of the place, so rarely was it occupied by the Po-Toa, but even in the desert hope could spring eternal - after all, it certainly would have been nice to have been spared the trouble of searching for him.

“Well, this is some shite.”

Edited by Goose
  • Like 2

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

IC Stannis' House 

Muir's shrewd detecting detected that the hearth was still warm and the remnants of his morning coffee on the bottom of a ceramic mug that said "Best Wanderer Ever!" had not dried yet. Stannis was nearby. Very nearby.

He could even be right behind—

No... that's just a signed cardboard cutout of Toa Reordin.

• Like 6

IC: Skyra Daring - Tech Emporium - Po-koro -

I gave Krayn a wave as he left. Then I stood there by the counter as I waited. I tapped my fingers against the counter. Tap tap tap. 

I looked over at the Matoran that was also in the store, and then to Dehkaz. 

"You guys wanna play a game while we wait? Not the quiet game though, I don't like that one." 

@Geardirector @Perp @sunflower @ARROW404

• Like 1

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

5 hours ago, Snelly said:

"You guys wanna play a game while we wait? Not the quiet game though, I don't like that one."

IC: Lumune

The Po-Matoran looked up at the Toa in surprise. Though the surprise faded a little as she noticed the coloration of the Toa who had spoken. She heard the folks over in Le-Wahi were the extraverted type, the kind to ask a random stranger if they were up for a game. Maybe that was judging a book by its cover though.

She glanced around. "Uh... I have to get back to my lion before he gets restless, so I can't really stick around. Not longer than I have to, anyway," she said apologetically. "I'm uh... also not really used to company, being a trapper."

• Like 1

BZPRPG Profiles
If I go AWOL for a while, feel free to contact me via Discord

7 hours ago, Goose said:

Muir wished he could have been surprised to find Stannis’ home empty. It seemed to be the default state of the place, so rarely was it occupied by the Po-Toa, but even in the desert hope could spring eternal - after all, it certainly would have been nice to have been spared the trouble of searching for him.

“Well, this is some shite.”

6 hours ago, Umbraline Yumiwa said:

IC Stannis' House 

Muir's shrewd detecting detected that the hearth was still warm and the remnants of his morning coffee on the bottom of a ceramic mug that said "Best Wanderer Ever!" had not dried yet. Stannis was nearby. Very nearby.

He could even be right behind—

No... that's just a signed cardboard cutout of Toa Reordin.

IC: Vrill [Po-Koro, Toa Noran's Stannis Maru's House]

With so many decades of experience in the Sanctum Guard under his belt, even from looking from his standing position outside the window, Vrill could easily hone in on and discern more temporal information from the state of Stannis's coffee mug than an archeologist could with radiocarbon dating.

"Well, someone's been here recently."

The investigator pensively put a hand to his chin as he ran through the options.

"Stannis Maru isn't one to patrol... doubt he'd be with the Sentinels, or that going to their headquarters would be a good idea to begin with..."

Vrill suddenly made an amused grunt, optics shifting towards his partner with an ironic expression. There was an unusual, lighthearted buoyancy underneath his typically gruff voice as the spy continued.

"Say... how do you feel about your new Akiri? And how do you think Stannis does, given he's actually in town again?"

Edited by BULiK
  • Like 1

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Muir’s face turned thoughtful.

“Our tenures in the Guard overlapped. I didn’t know her well, but everyone knew her - she was popular, always had a way with people. Something of a mediator, from what I heard.” It had been some time now since Muir had thought about his days in the Guard, before the days of Hewkii and the Sentinels. “She’s as middle of the road as it’s possible to be. I wasn’t surprised to see she was Hewkii’s successor.

“Stannis, though… I’d say he probably knows her even less than I do, given his wanderings. Might be a priority for him to get to know his Akiri, now that he’s finally in town.”

Edited by Goose

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

IC:

Dorian watched the trio of law enforcement, both current and former, depart into the gun store with a curious look on his face. His teeth were clearly locked together behind the backs of his lips, for fear of something he might want to say or cry out. His hand trembled near a holster that had seldom been empty for years, but when it stopped, he turned to Praggos - the target of years of japes that ranged the entirety of cruelty's spectrum - and a serene grin spread across his face.

"Everyone's been so friendly," he mused out loud. His mouth twitched and his right hand balled up, punching the doctor in the shoulder. "C'mon. Let's go grab something already. I remember this kebab stall from the night before I joined Bad Company, they had this great plug from produce from Ga-Wahi--"

For all the animosity slung his way, however unfairly, it was fair for Praggos to say he knew the tempestuous Toa of Iron better than most. So he may have noticed that, despite the guilt clearly gnawing away at his reflexes and boyish looks, Dorian was truly, finally acting...

"--so while Cipher was hashing out the details, I was out buying the grossest, messiest cut of liver I could find, and I was going to pretend to hurl it up--"

...like himself.

Finally, as they cut out onto one of Po-Koro's main streets and began passing underneath many of the inns, the Toa of Iron paused his mischievous tales to take a breath. He shot a glance up at the Dustpool Inn to their right and then back to Praggos, eyes twinkling above the scarf that covered the rest of his face. 

"Hey, Praggos?"

-Tyler

Edited by Haman Karn: A Magical Girl
  • Like 4

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC: Vrill [Po-Koro, Stannis's Hut]

"Well, all I know is going somewhere is a faster way to find Stannis than waiting for him to appear here," Vrill incorrectly stated. "Let's swing by there and keep our eyes open."

The duo strolled towards the Akiri's hut, with Muirtagh taking the lead given his familiarity with the renovated streets of the stone city. As they drew nearer to the hut, Vrill broke the pleasant silence.

"By the way, when we find him - I'm your intern, Kardyr."

Edited by BULiK

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

IC: Muir (Po-Koro, Renaka's Home)

“Alright, but it’s not gonna take a Rode to see through that disguise.” Muir understood the value of secrecy - that said, Vrill’s voice had more gravel in it than the Po-Koro Quarry, and paralegals weren't exactly known for their habit of wearing cloaks and materialising their own sunglasses. “We’re here.”

Muir came to a stop at Akiri Renaka’s door, and knocked politely.

OOC: @Silvan Haven @Umbraline Yumiwa @Emzee

Edited by Goose
  • Like 1

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

"Welcome Ra'lhen, it is always a pleasure to meet the people responsible for defending our city." Her eyes narrowed a hint as she looked at him A thought niggling at the back of her mind. There was something about him that seemed familiar...no, something to follow through on later. "I hadn't made any concrete plans the last time Stannis and I spoke. Things have...changed since then. Before the Darkwalk was simply a dangerous but ultimately minor threat to the region. We could have gradually worn down the Rahkshi that remained within and made it safe to travel through. Had anyone the desire to. With the return of Makuta it has once more become a clear and present threat to Po-koro. He could send another invasion force through at any time."

Indeed he could. But I think we have time,” Ra’lhen said, “I can’t imagine he’ll be as spry as he was after his battle with the Toa Maru. He will need time to gather new followers and recover more of his strength... But we don't have much of it," Ra'lhen said, "The sooner we can start the expedition, I think the sooner we can all sleep more soundly"

IC Stannis | Po-Koro, Renaka's Home

"Black tea it is," Stannis said, handing off a mug of piping hot leaf water to the other.

After the two spoke and allowed a break in the conversation Stannis politely interjected. "The Makuta's followers and armies are scattered for now," Stannis thought out loud with a nod that dipped his olfactory sensors over the lip of his mug. "At least, here on Mata Nui. This outfit that occupied Ko-Koro was the last organized front the dark one had here and now they have also retreated to the shadows to lick their wounds. Had they succeeded in holding the icy city things would be far more dire, but for now we can afford preventative measures. Shore up defenses. Plug holes in our walls. The Dark Walk is far more of a liability than an asset to us now.

In times past, Stannis considered the function of the Dark Walks as a sort of direct avenue to strike at the Mangaia if ever needed, and then eventually he changed that tune to think of the subterranean roads as an early warning system. The functions of those Walks had always related to the Makuta in some way, and while there were some who thought there could be some infrastructural use of the roads, such as in connecting the Koro even more so with veritable highways, Stannis hesitated to consider the yawning absences as anything less than a double-edged sword. Presently, he thought it would be better to simply seal the tunnels and guard it in case of future incursion, to use it as a fortification but not rely on it for protection. 

"Sooner is better," he added to his toa-brother's cause. "I believe it would be in our best interest to eradicate the rahkshi threats and then close the Walk with a toa seal—a full seal would be ideal, but Reordin and Oreius can make one that would do fine as well—to prevent the Makuta's insurgencies from surprising us in the night or risk overconfidence in our own vigilance. Renaka, inkeeping with the greater sense of unity between the villages, do you know if the other akiri are considering strategies with their own portals, similar or otherwise?" he asked. 

@Silvan Haven @Emzee

Edited by Umbraline Yumiwa
  • Like 1

IC: Dehkaz [Tech Emporium]

Dehkaz's gaze lingered on the doorway for a moment after Krayn exited, the faint hints of the midday sun cutting through the gaps in the frame and sandblasted wooden surface. Lost in thought. Not for very long however, as Skyra's question, the toa of Air ever so animated, pulled him from his reverie. He glanced down to the unfamiliar Po-matoran as she spoke, a bit nervously and taken aback by the understandably unexpected question, before returning his attention to the excitable Le-toa.

"I still have a few things I want to discuss with Farzan, but I tell you what," Dehkaz extracted two of his knives from beneath his duster, flipping one in his hand to present it hilt-first to Skyra, "If you can knock my knife out of the beam over there, I'll get whatever gadget you pick out from here for you."

His sentence was punctuated with the sound of the first knife solidly embedding itself in one of the thick structural wooden beams running up from the floor, in a direction away from the entrance and hopefully away from anyone who would happen to walk in.

• Like 2

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC:

I resisted my innate urge to go Dorian, please, I'm fragile when he punched me in the shoulder, settling for rolling my eyes and walking along. It was a bit difficult to remain fully attentive on his story while I was focusing on not melting into a sad puddle of Ice Toa in the heat, but his gradual return to the sort of humour and stories I was more used to from him was unmistakable. It brought me a sense of relief, more than anything else; I hadn't seen him quite so serious and subdued since we were standing on the sea floor in front of the temple, talking over a last-ditch strategy to try and help Utu that was honestly more likely to kill Dorian than do anything else—

No, I don't still feel guilty about that one, why would you think anything like that?

—so seeing him back to his old spirits made it easier to relax and just enjoy the early afternoon.

Except for this greatspiritdamned heat.

"Hey, Praggos?"

I pulled myself back from my other thoughts—and, well, my own near-wretching at the thought of anything to do with eating liver, because of course that part of the story had to stick with me so easily—to look back over at him. "Yes?"

• Like 2

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

IC: Farzan (Tech Emporium)

I nodded in response to Jokaro, muttering a quick "you got it," in response to him, "I'm just keeping an eye on our customer ring"

I made my way back to the counter, and approached Skyra once again.

"I have consulted with my colleague, and I'm not going to kiss and tell too much, but I'll tell you this. We're developing some stuff that we're very soon going to be putting through its paces to make sure its in tip-top shape. If you can agree to come here and handle our prototypes here on the premises, then we can talk about maybe reserving you a copy free of charge when it's ready to go."

OOC: @Snelly @Perp @Krayzikk @ARROW404 @sunflower

Edited by Geardirector
  • Like 1

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: Skyra Daring - Tech Emporium - Po-koro -

I raised my eyebrow at the Matoran trapper. "A lion huh? I'm more of a bird person myself but lions are cool." I commented before turning towards Dehkaz, glancing at the dagger he offered me. I couldn't help but smile. He understood that I'd been using throwing knives since arc 1 as long as I could remember right? Not to brag, but I had even won a knife throwing tournament in Le-koro once, so needless to say I was confident in my ability. I took the knife. "Alright Dehkaz, sounds fun enough." 

My sights were on the dagger currently imbedded in the beam. Of course, while I knew I'd have no issue hitting the target, the tricky part was hitting it with the exact force needed to dislodge it from the beam, and from the correct angle. Even for someone who was well practiced at knife throwing like myself, this was a tricky shot.

17 hours ago, Geardirector said:

"I have consulted with my colleague, and I'm not going to kiss and tell too much, but I'll tell you this. We're developing some stuff that we're very soon going to be putting through its paces to make sure its in tip-top shape. If you can agree to come here and handle our prototypes here on the premises, then we can talk about maybe reserving you a copy free of charge when it's ready to go."

"Mmmm sure sounds good..." I said, only half paying attention to what Farzan said as I focused on making the throw. Not wanting to overthink it, I just took the shot and tossed the knife. There was a loud ding as metal smacked against metal as the knife I threw struck the one embedded in the beam. 

The knife had been certainly loosened, leaning downwards towards the ground. Only the tiniest bit of the tip was still stuck in the beam, but alas it was still hanging there. 

"Well ####." I muttered, disappointed with the results. But before I could admit defeat, something unexpected happened. A butterfly with black and blue wings fluttered by, deciding to land on the end of the knife's hilt of all things. The knife then proceeded to fall out of the beam and clatter on the floor. 

WHAT!?

Perhaps my damaged brain had just imagined that. What were the odds that could even happen!? Hallucinating butterflies wouldn't have been the weirdest thing to happen to me. I glanced at Dehkaz, Farzan, and the Matoran trapper. 

"Did anyone else see that ####? Also I want the wrist grapple, Dehkaz." Butterfly assistance or not, I'd still take a win. 

@Geardirector @Perp @sunflower @ARROW404

Edited by Snelly
  • Like 2

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC: Datrox Karvan - Po-Koro - Streets

Datrox turned his head towards the shack. It wasn’t exactly what he had in mind, having wanted to treat the Vortixx to something nicer, but the Toa of Fire also wasn’t very picky.

“Yeah, that oughta do.”

He strolled over to it. Seemed like a local place that he wasn’t familiar with, but then again after its rebirth, he wasn’t familiar with a lot of Po-Koro. “Any preference you have? Ruki caviar, maybe?” He asked, jokingly.

OOC: @Vezok's Friend

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

IC: Lumune - Tech Emporium

The Le-Toa's response piqued Lumune's interest, but she waited  her turn to speak, just as she waited her turn to pay, while the Toa conducted their... "business". The throw was impressive. Lumune wasn't a bad toss herself, but knocking that knife down wasn't something she could do with confidence.

After the Toa asked for her piece of tech, Lumune seized the opportunity to ask her question. "Have you seen lions before?" Not many on the island knew what they were, so she figured maybe she knew something she didn't. "Mine is the only one I've ever seen- or even heard of. And he's lonely."

• Like 1

BZPRPG Profiles
If I go AWOL for a while, feel free to contact me via Discord

Kale Ironshaper - Ostia - The Fowadi

IC: "That's certainly been proven well enough over the last few years." As a matter of fact one of Kale's first adventures with the Aggressors had been rescuing one of the Turaga. That mission had been a success, but it had happened and was followed up with the almost immediate assassination of that same person afterwards. It didn't really point towards their old leaders having been all that infallible either.

The silver Toa's gaze dropped from the sky to fall on his companion. One of the ridges in Luten's corporeal form lifting skeptically. The voice that followed was a mirror of his face.

"Got any ideas on how to punch ultimate wisdom into people?"

Renaka - Po-koro - Her House

IC: Keen eyes flowed from one Toa to the other as they spoke. Both were veterans in the long struggle with Darkness. The one who shared much of her color scheme had new armor but the way he spoke and moved detailed a history of conflict. Each of them also seemed to agree that time was not on their side in this matter. With Makuta back the Darkwalk was a clear and present danger to the safety of the koro. Especially with their new expansion. When her guests both fell silent she replied with a soft sigh. Her first words accompanied by a soft clink as she set her ceramic mug down on the table.

"Not as of yet. In truth I had not reached a final decision on the matter. It has been percolating in the back of my mind ever since I felt Him return but there has always been something or other keeping me busy. the last couple months have been extremely busy around here. With the help of our fellow koros the construction has gone more smoothly than I could have hoped. Even it seems like everyone in Po-koro needs a moment of my time...and many of those not from Po-koro as well."

A sardonic grin flashed across her face with that final sentence. A bit of genuine emotion allowed to slip in with a set of carefully controlled feelings. The next words were accompanied by a swinging arm gesturing to the building as a whole.

"Things what I spend most of my time here contemplating. It's quiet, people tend to come find me on business days, I have the time and space to give certain things the attention they deserve."

Any further conversation was interrupted by a polite knock at the door. The Po-Matoran guard first checked through the peephole, then came over to murmur something in the Akiri's ear. She tilted her head for a moment before nodding back towards the door. As the bodyguard went back to let the two visitors in the much paler Po-Matoran turned back to her current guests with a mask of partial amusement and partial annoyance.

"People usually come to me business days."

• Like 1

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC: Vrill [Po-Koro, Renaka's Office]

The orange tinted lenses above the undercover detective's optics melted into the rest of his amber-colored crystalline armor as he followed Muirtagh inside, feigning discomfort and subservience. He would let the lawyer do the talking, preferring to keep his guise as long as plausible.

Inside, however, every exit was accounted for, every detail observed.

A pleasant surprise to find their quarry so soon, but the location complicated things. The enigmatic Toa that accompanied Stannis and the Akiri herself were very much independent variables. Hopefully Fenn could ask his questions and get everything they wanted to know, and as fast as possible. Vrill wasn't a desk jockey - in fact, he had done everything he could in specializing his career in the Sanctum Guard in order to avoid just that. Though even a free-range cop like himself needed to check in with Korzaa every so often.

Vrill mused on how offices had some looming inevitability to them as he waited for the opening move.

Edited by BULiK

IC: Dehkaz [Tech Emporium]

Dehkaz raised an eyebrow at the display taking place before him, his expression partway between disbelief and impressed silence. Even so, he turned towards Farzan.

"I've got a request of my own, not too complex. Four armor plates, about so big," The captain held his hands about half a bio apart, "With a pair of ferrous strips on the back; top and bottom. Weight isn't an issue, I'd like them tough enough to stand up to real heavy hits."

He glanced over at Skyra.

"...And I'll take one of the larger wrist grapples too."

• Like 1

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC: Muir (Akiri Renaka's Home, Po-Koro)

Muir nodded respectfully to their host as he entered the room. "Akiri Renaka. I apologise for the interruption, but I need a few words with Toa Stannis, in connection to a case I'm researching."

His mask was already active as he scanned the room, and - not for the first time - he was glad that his own modifications had made it so difficult to recognise as a Rode. Stannis himself was here - a great stroke of luck for himself and Vrill - along with another Toa that Muir didn't recognise. The prospect of an audience made him wary, but he was no stranger to choosing his words carefully, and Stannis might even find the presence of the Akiri… motivating, as far as cooperation and honesty were concerned.

Edited by Goose

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

IC: Ra'lhen - Po-Koro, Akiri Residence 

The Toa of Lightning took in the Akiri's words. Even when faced with the urgency and uncertainty of the situation, Renaka spoke with clarity and discipline. Every word and movement was clearly calculated and carefully controlled. It was a level of impassive professionalism that would have made Ra'lhen distrustful if not for his not-so-pleasant experiences with her predecessor. 

It's something that I can grow used to, I supposeRa'lhen assured himself. 

Just then there was a polite knock on the door. Ra'lhen raised an eyebrow and glanced towards the door, watching the bodyguard march over and admit the visitors. 

A moment later, two Toa walked in. Ra’lhen didn’t recognize either of them, and he wondered what business they would have with the Akiri.  

“Akiri Renaka. I apologise for the interruption, but I need a few words with Toa Stannis, in connection to a case I'm researching,” one of the Toa said after nodding respectfully.  

Oh? 

Ra’lhen looked at Stannis.  

“If you need to meet with them, no need to mind me,” Ra’lhen said reassuringly, “I think my questions have been more or less answered” 

OOC: @Umbraline Yumiwa @Silvan Haven @Goose @BULiK

• Like 3

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

IC Stannis | Po-Koro, Renaka's pad

1 hour ago, Goose said:

"Akiri Renaka. I apologise for the interruption, but I need a few words with Toa Stannis, in connection to a case I'm researching."

"Is that so?" Stannis said, knotting his brows. What could this be about? he wondered. Surely this wasn't related to the business with Brykon—that mission had gone according to the akiri council's command and there was no reason to pluck at that scab anymore, unless there was civil suits afoot as well? No, that's not it. It was some other business that cased this intrusion, and the Wanderer had to admit that while his mission to the Massif was most recent in his mind there were innumerable other mysteries that could stir both inquest and investigation. He glanced at his village leader as he spoke, seeking her assent and hospitality for business that would surely be of interest to her. "Well then. With... Akiri Renaka's permission, I will gladly take your questions in the presence of current company."

The Maru leader set his mug down and placed his hands upon his lap to give his full attention to the visitors. "Ask me your questions, Muirtagh Fenn."

@Silvan Haven @Emzee @Goose @BULiK

• Like 2

IC: Vrill [Po-Koro, Renaka's Office House]

Vrill didn't let the fact that he held no cards bother him. At all.

He was as curious as to what Fenn would ask as he was how well his own gut stacked up to his partner's Rode.

IC: Two people, both of them Toa, one of them the new Akiri recognized. Muirtagh was someone she recognized from a sketch of his. Back during the height of his paranoia Hewkii had started building files on people who might have proven a problem in some form or another. Lawyers had gone onto that list almost by default. Especially ones who had left the Sentinels due to a disagreement with his policies. She had gone through those files personally. It wasn't the kind of thing she could trust to just anybody and she had no way of knowing if any of it was safe without going over them. Thankfully most of it had been publicly available knowledge. Even at his worst Hewkii had not attempted to build something like a secret Guard.

It was part of why the new ruler of the koro allowed him to still live.

Most of them had been destroyed after she was done sorting them. Some of the contents had been sent to the Sentinels for follow-up investigations. Not all of the files had been about upstanding citizens and she figured that at least some good could be salvaged from the unpleasant mess. In fact that pretty much described her first month in office.

"Please, ask away. I must admit some curiosity as to what this might be about."

• Like 3

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

If Muir was thrown by Stannis' recognition of him, he didn't show it - still, it showed that the Toa had done his homework, either on Po-Koro or the Sentinels, and thankfully Muir was still something of a footnote in either. Renaka's curiosity, however, brought a hint of a smile to his face - the pressure was increasing, and he felt at home working a witness in front of a judge.

"Thank you," he said, returning his attention to Stannis. "We were hoping you might be able to tell us about an encounter you had at the hospital here in Po-Koro, with a Toa by the name of Skorm?"

• Like 1

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

IC Stannis | Po-Koro, Renaka's pad

The Maru intently listened to Muir, but he said nothing in return. His grey eyes, pearly orbs set on his brown mask, drank every detail in about Muir and his silent companion in the corner while remaining warm and kind. As far as Stannis was concerned, Muir was a Po-Koro citizen who was worthy of not feeling judged or dismissed out of hand by the toa who swore to protect and serve the community, so he offset his serious posture with a slight smile, enough to lightly squint his eyes and show the crows' feet creases at the sides of his face to demonstrate his companionable intentions.

It slowly dawned on him that Muir had raised his voice in the characteristic lilt of the interrogative tense that marked the terminus of his sentence with an invisible question mark—there had been a question asked, just... not a very good one. No, Muir had left things very vague and didn't state the actual question. Curious. Or perhaps it was simply the way detectives worked, Stannis wondered. He didn't really work with many detectives in the past and when he was in the Ta-Koro guard he was not part of the investigative unit, not the crime team at least. The closest thing to a detective he'd known was Reordin, and he was a stellar example of the brusque approach to law enforcement, hardly the same as asking leading questions. No, Stannis recognized what Muir's pause meant: There was more to come.

Stannis hadn't been asked a real question, so he answered with nothing. He smiled expectantly. 

@Goose

• Like 2

Muir blinked.

Ooookay… Clearly, Stannis wasn’t in a giving mood, helpful though it might have been for him to elaborate on his own.

“Do you remember the incident in question?”

IC:

Nikarra had had enough. And not just with this goddamn claw machine.

The breaking point, for her, was seeing that blue-eyed man from her window - for just a moment, for a fraction of an instant, those were Dor's eyes. And then reality set in; the man wore a scarf over most of his face, and walked along quietly with what looked like friends, neither a gun nor a smirk in sight. It wasn't him. Even if he wasn't dead, it wouldn't be him. And he was.

And in that moment, her heart broke all over again.

"#####!" A nearby woman covered her child's ears. Bit late for that, love. She'd already missed the Iron Mahi once standing here, but she refused to let this bucket of bolts get the best of her - she had dragged herself back from Karz time and time again, through breakdown after breakdown, from Mark Bearer to Daedra to this, and she was not about to give up now.

"Hey lady, you've been on for ages!" An insipidly shrill voice whined. "I wanna go."

"Wait your turn."

"But you've been on for ages."

"Shite, kid, didn't your mam teach you any manners?" Nikarra's eyes had not drifted from the machine, focused with the utmost determination on the hollow Kolhii ball that been cracked open by some past victim of the Pohatu Climbing Claw. In that smallest of gaps, those drowsy little eyes looked back at her, ringed with black and set above a sleepy smile. You're mine, you son of a ######.

The child was wailing now, and Nikarra heard the footsteps of its mother approach, felt the pointed tap of a finger upon her shoulder. "Pardon me, ma'am, but what exactly gives you the right to speak to my son like that?"

Sheeeeeeit. So bloody close...

"Listen, far be it from me to judge your parenting-" The tines of the claw closed around the bottom of the ball and her pulse quickened - "But I don't know that I would be comfortable with my child engaging in what is, effectively, gambling."

"Excuse me, what?" Nikarra's heart skipped a beat - the claw jerked, that last defence mechanism against a deserving victor, and the kolhii ball slipped. Nononononononono-

"Your kid would be in tears right now regardless, because he'd have pumped his pocket money into a rigged system and got precisely jack to show for it." Nikarra's fingers clenched around the joystick as the Kolhii ball stopped, a single tine of the claw trapped in the very crack that had alerted her to her quarry. Come on now, bring it home…

"You- this is beyond disrespectful, and I'll have to involve the staff in this if you don't apologise to my son this instant. You're a grown woman monopolising a children's claw machine, do you really want to make this into more of a scene?"

"YES!"

The station went quiet. Nikarra bashfully retrieved her prize. "I uh, I mean, no. Like… Sorry, kid. Have at it."

The mother tutted and rolled her eyes, and the kid's tears stopped as quickly as they had started - Manipulative little git - as he rushed to pump Po-Koro's latest war crime full of his mother's hard-earned cash. Well, so be it; she was done with that hellspawn, and the train would be leaving any minute-

"Mommy, mommy, look what I got!"

!

The imp held aloft a plush Gukko bird as big as his head, grinning widely, and looked at Nikarra with a glint in his eyes that she could only describe as true evil in its purest form.

"That's great, sweetie," his mother replied, oblivious to the fact that she was walking out of the station hand-in-hand with the antichrist himself, and Nikarra couldn't stop herself. She marched back to the claw machine and stared it down, glaring deep into the eyes of the Kakama atop it.

"I see you, demon," she hissed, before delivering a well deserved kick to the first true harbinger of the robot uprising. Surprising her, it hit back- a stream of widgets shot from the change dispenser, taking her full on in the thigh. She readied her next attack-

A stream of widgets?

Nikarra boarded the Iron Mahi significantly richer than she had first arrived, stuffed sloth held proudly to her chest. She slid her guitar case into the overhead compartment and settled into a table seat, putting her feet up.

I guess sometimes the world can be beautiful, too.

• Like 4

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

IC: Vrill [Po-Koro, Akiri Abode]

The Cy-Toa in the corner couldn't help but raise an eyebrow at the disconnect between both participants - one fully prepared for verbal fisticuffs and mind games, the other innocuously curious as to 'what was going on?' in the first place.

Vrill didn't know what Fenn's kanohi said, but his own internals lead him to the conclusion that Stannis was either a devious, machiavellian logician thinking twenty chess moves ahead with the goal of utter dominance over the verbal battlespace-

Or, more likely, Vrill thought as he attempted to get into such a mindset himself, he realized that Stannis really might not have a clue about any of this, or even if he did, lacked the context to answer such broad, indirect questioning in a way that would satisfy the duo's hunches.

Externally, the undercover operative looked bored.

Edited by BULiK
  • Like 2

IC: Interest showed clearly on the Akiri's face as she watched the verbal sparing. It was clear that the legal consultant was here to dig for answers of some kind. Stannis also seemed to be playing it purposely obtuse. Either he wasn't a fan of the passively adversarial tone of the conversation or he knew exactly what the other man was talking about and had a reason to keep it a secret. That latter option brought up a slew of followup possibilities. some of them benign, other less so.

The name in question was not one she was familiar with. Unless the hospital needed something she usually stayed out of their way. They were doing good work and she saw no reason to watch over their shoulder. That was was an easy way to throw a metaphorical spanner into the metaphorical workings.

• Like 1

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

IC: [Kohra - Po-koro, Streets]

“At this point…” Kohra started, then briefly paused as a brief, involuntary shudder came over her, “I’d settle for dried Nui Jaga.”

Even though her awareness wasn’t what it used to be, she could tell the Toa wasn’t too excited about the prospect of the food shack. And looking at it, the Vortixx realized there was no indoor seating area. It really was a shack with some standing tables out front. A lone Matoran looked bored behind the counter, while a single patron nursed some sort of local snack that even she knew was greasy enough to shorten one’s life expectancy.

But it was mainly the lack of shade that made her reconsider.

“On second thought…somewhere with proper seats…maybe?”

She awkwardly began to look around and only now realized this was just the far end of what seemed to be a street lined with many kinds of businesses. She squinted, but couldn’t quite make out all the signs at a distance, so they began to move down the rows of buildings. 

Kohlii Equipment

Artisan Carvings

Mahi farm supplies

Wanderer wares

Tech emporium

Then she stopped, panting slightly from the effort the quickened pace had taken, and pointed at another building just up ahead. “That one says ‘inn’.” She proclaimed, out of breath, but satisfied with the result of her search. Before Datrox could object, and paying no mind to anyone else in the street, Kohra ducked inside the Dustpool.

OOC: @Tarn

• Like 3

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

IC: Rynekk | The Fowadi

"If I knew that, my fists would worn down to the bone right about now," Rynekk replied with a grim chuckle. "Besides, we're not exactly fonts of wisdom ourselves, now are we? What I reckon we need is a little more information. Find a Maru, and get them to finally tell us, point-blank, what happened down there in Makuta's lair. And, Karz, if we could get someone into the ranks of His followers, that wouldn't--"

It was then that Rynekk slowly realized what he was saying.

"--be.... too bad, either."

OOC: @Silvan Haven

IC: Vyartha | The Iron Mahi

The Iron Mahi had rolled through several stops before I stood up from the seat and walked over to her. This is a big island, after all -- it did not seem at all likely that she would have ended up here at the same time as I. What is the line? I wondered, thinking back to the stage-script that I had found in the bowels of the Wise Man's Archives, gutted from the occupation of Ko. 'Of all the gin-joints in all the world, she walks into mine.' 

No, that is not entirely true. This island isn't as big as people say it is -- the same names always seem to come out of the woodwork. My hesitation had not been out of shock, nor out of disbelief. It was.... I forbid you to tell anyone that I have said this, but if was out of hesitation. What would it mean to speak to her again, even to stand in her presence? The last time I had seen her had been a kind of rending. I feel it is not hyperbole to say that I emerged from that encounter in a kind of post-mortem state -- either Pride of the New Daedra had been killed, or Vyartha Vena had. Who is to say how -- or if -- I would emerge this time? No, I thought. Better to leave it.

And yet I still found myself standing in the threshold of her compartment, my ragged cloak hanging limp off of me. I felt -- I knew -- that I should say something.

But I could not find the words.

OOC: @Goose

-Void

• Like 3

[ BZPRPG ]

IC: Nikarra (The Iron Mahi)

No way.

No ####ing way.

Nikarra hadn’t been looking around the train - instead, she was enjoying the view from the window, scenery blurring by in a way she had never before experienced. She found that she could shift her focus and change the appearance of the movement, based on what she was looking at - a fence close to the track, a mountain far from it - and let songs play in her mind as she absently stroked the sloth.

The way that time itself seemed to freeze as she turned instinctively to source the approaching footsteps, however, was all too familiar. She didn’t even know how she took her feet down off the table - they just were, and she was looking at her, mouth hanging ever so slightly agape. She fixed that once she realised.

No way.

Vyartha could make any doorway seem small - Nikarra had seen this power in action more than once - but now the whole compartment felt smaller. Nikarra did too. Lost for words, she took in her- her what? Ex-comrade in arms? Lover? (God, that word felt so weird) - she took in her Pride’s appearance. She was a little more scuffed up, and the torn cloak she wore was limp and lifeless. Her eyes, too - God, I’ve got a thing for blue eyes, haven’t I? - were different, still the same icy blue but not quite as intense, as if the volume had been turned down on them. And… she looked tired. It was a look Nikarra knew well - after all, she’d seen her own eyes reflected in the window just seconds ago.

Seconds ago? God. It felt like this silence had lasted hours.

Vyartha?”

Stopped time for an eternity and still couldn’t come up with a better response than that. Nice, Nikki.

OOC: @Void Emissary

• Like 1

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

23 hours ago, Goose said:

"Please, describe to us what happened, as best you remember it."

Stannis began with a qualification statement, saying, "Sure. Much has happened since then so the memories are somewhat dune-hazed and I am sometimes slow to remember things, but bear with me and I will retell what I can recall." It sounded dull like a terms and conditions clause, but while Muir's Rode was not able to detect the Maru's intent he was able to detect the complete lack of duplicity in his words. Stannis, for his part, was finally on to the fact that this was an inquest regarding a case he had no awareness of. Just so, while Muir's interests were opaque and undoubtedly far-reaching, so was Stannis' knowledge of the island's mysteries, and if this was related to the Toa Kalta Skorm then there was much mystery to regale with. 

It reminded him in no small part of his recent transaction with the Toa Brykon, where one man held the upper hand of a bit of legal paperwork and an dangerous purpose and the other held only the burdens of expectation and ignorance, only this time it was Stannis who was at the decided disadvantage. He blinked, the only outward indication of his meandering mind, and thought on the irony of the situation. Oh, how the turnstiles have... wait, how does that idiom go? How the turnovers... turnt...? 

Whatever, he acceded, instead finding more joy in the regional colloquialism equivalent that went, "How the dunes shift." The landscape of Po-Wahi was ever-changing and what mound offered a good promontory over the wastes one day was just as like to be a sand pit the next and he appreciated the somewhat romantic, fatalistic ode.

"I suppose the best place to start is at the start, then. It was morning, earlier than now, and I'd been awoken from my sleep by knocks at my door—you see, that was when I had a door—from a nurse I knew. As I recall, my mind was still quite shrouded by dawn's mist so I did not understand much of what the nurse had to say as she babbled and rambled at the speed of mahi, but one word of hers made crystalline sense to me: 'Antidermis,' she'd said."

He sighed deeply, looking back on what happened next. "I did not know who the infected was yet. It could well have been a caravaner or local who fell for one of Ahkmou's evil pranks, akikanalo tamer caught in a place of shadow, or a meandering warrior who'd pilfered too close in the Dark Walk, but I followed after the nurse to investigate and help however I could. Antidermis is not a substance to be underestimated by any. I remember... as we came close to the hospital's doors her steps paused and her voice slowed, perhaps feeling that there was sufficient hope with me present to tarry a moment, and she finally managed to tell me who was within the ward. 

"Now, I didn't know much of Skorm. Our paths hadn't crossed before, though I knew the name at least because of, not despite, the Kalta being a more recent arrival to Mata Nui at the time, though I recall Kalta Kalyss sought him out in passing. Nowadays I know they reside in Ko-Koro, though I don't think that was the case back then. Skorm was just another name I knew, but at that moment he was suddenly a soul in need. The man I found lying on the gurney was a shade of a toa-hero, looking feverish and wasted from within as ichor black as tar wet his blankets to a nighttime sky's glisten from wounds at his hip. 

"When I reached his side he asked me what I wanted, but i told him truly, I wanted nothing. It struck me that the question asked of me was from the perspective of a man who'd been stolen from, not a thief himself. It reminded me of other darklings I've encountered, ones touched by the taint of Makuta to do his bidding despite their best intentions. Such vileness deprives the soul of breath and makes the heartlight beat faster to keep the body replenished, but it's all for naught. It only hurries the wasting. I didn't know what Kalta Skorm had done immediately before—news from Ga-Koro hadn't reached us yet—but I knew the possibilities of atrocity were endless. 

"He said it was that green piraka, Zaktan, who'd dosed him with liquid green malice at a previous crossroads and then let the stuff take its toll on Skorm and take root in the toa's mind. He wanted to kill people, had killed people, and wished to do harm to me at the time. His physical injuries he said had come from rahkshi and an Abettor—powerful robotic guardians deep in the Mangaia—but he said nothing about how he'd come to Po-Koro. I offered to help him, but what he told me next disturbed even me. He said, 'I have been broken in so many different ways, Mata Nui himself couldn't help me. You're free to try.' And try I did."

The Maru's hand stretched out, imitating his hesitant gesture as he'd reached to caress Skorm's kanohi on the bed. Memories took time to form in Stannis' mind, intricate and vast as they were, and for him it was akin to imagining great engineered monoliths come to life as if they were in a stop-motion film. Stannis did not think to recall but rather felt the memory be relived. Depending on the memory this could be either a benefit or a detriment as the vividness of each was a double-edged blade. The kinder memories, such as the triumphant emergence from the Keeping Place or the thoughtful gestures of friendship between the Maru, were fond to recall whereas the more traumatic memories like the Makuta's haunting reprimands and the stealing of Turaga Nuju in a vortex of darkness remained as terrible as when they were first lived. The healing of Kalta Skorm, however, thankfully fell somewhere in the middle.

"I purged the evil inside him and absolved him of his sins with a litany. I remember Skorm came to his feet once healed of his physical injuries but he was on his feet where he could not have been before, and within him there was... a burning light that scorched the blackness in him. He looked to be burning up from within, breathing in heaving gasps as he regurgitated a dollop of bright green fluid from his lungs and passed it upon the floor where it boiled away to nothingness without its host. And then he became still as his eyes grew alight with what was later related to me as a... a reckoning of what he'd done. He looked horrified. He said, 'What have I done?'" 

The Maru leader sat still on the memory, brows knit in consternation as he still pictured Skorm's face from the moment frozen in time. Finally, he exhaled long, deep, and hard and returned to animated 

"I did not wait around much beyond that, leaving the rest to the medical professionals as I went home to have my cup of joe to start the day for real. That was what happened."

Edited by Umbraline Yumiwa
  • Like 5

Muir remained silent for a time, but his eyes were alight - in his mind, he was at his corkboard, scribbling new names on scraps of paper (Zaktan, Abettor) and rifling through the details of Stannis' testimony for the most relevant. A few stood out - questions around Antidermis first and foremost, but others too (How did Stannis heal Skorm? What does Stannis know of Kalyss? Skorm confessed to multiple murders? What does he know now of the events in Ga-Koro?)

He rubbed his chin thoughtfully, his first line of questioning taking shape in his mind. "The green liquid - that was Antidermis?"

"From my observations of the material's properties, yes, I believe it was Antidermis."

"And you said Skorm was infected by it? Your mention of Ahkmou - is that capital I Infected, like a Kanohi, but infecting a person?" Muir couldn't keep the surprise and the undercurrent of horror from his voice. The implications were staggering, not only for their impact on Skorm's culpability for his own actions, but in that Muir hadn't even heard of this phenomenon before now. He watched Renaka from the corner of his eye, curious as to whether this was a shock to her too - he knew there was no point in watching Vrill's poker face.

Skorm's symptoms, and Stannis' description, of course reminded him of the Madness, as they would any Po-Koro native - but the description of ichor was utterly alien to Muir, as was this green liquid itself.

• Like 2

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

IC Stannis | Po-Koro, Renaka's Pad

"Muirtagh Fenn, please know that I am not a... epidermistologist. But if my observations of antidermis are to be taken at face value then it seems Antidermis does effect the soul." He paused thoughtfully, understanding Muir's terror-ridden tone given his hometown's history, but he said nothing more. 

• Like 1

"And you've observed multiple cases? I understand you're not necessarily an-" Epidemiologist - "expert, but what kinds of effects have you observed?"

• Like 1

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

"Not in person," Stannis corrected. "I've investigated the substance in the Dark Walks, seen the after-effects of its use, and heard stories about antidermis. It's my duty to understand the mysteries of this universe to combat the darkness' influence."

IC: Vrill [Po-Koro, Akiri Abode]

Even on the very dangerous line that was Vrill's line of work, it wasn't often that he was inside the home of another Koro's Akiri or speaking to another Koro's Maru, let alone simultaneously. Out of caution for the potential diplomatic risks, the undercover detective kept his silence held dear. The only noise he'd made was a rustle of papers as he withdrew his notepad, which he began scribbling shorthand in on a fresh page alongside Stannis's answers and Fenn's questions. The scrapes of the charcoal on paper were like an eery echo of the words of those in the otherwise silent room.

The Maru's answers only blossomed more questions for Vrill, many of which Fenn was already on top of. For now, the Cy-Toa continued to observe the chamber and those within while taking notes as per his disguise, though he allowed his body language to mirror the disgust and horror his partner had at the revelations of antidermis's foul effects.

This certainly complicated things, although Vrill was not yet sure how exactly. For now, his focus was on cataloguing and indexing this information until the bigger picture and their path within it could once again be seen.

Edited by BULiK