BZPRPG - Po-Wahi

IC - Verak - The Coast of Leva Bay

I recoiled slightly as the Rahkshi's face cracked open, revealing a glimpse of some dark, wet, many-eyed face inset deep in it's armor. But then its angular armor plates were sealed again, and it visibly relaxed as it glanced at Lash. She scared me a little, that she had so much control over this thing. 

I overwhelm my atrophied self-preservation instincts and step closer to this living spawn of Makuta, and trace my fingertips along the seam in its face. A kind of tingling awe spreading out into my body from the point where I was making physical contact with the legendary creature. #####. I wonder how small the club of people is who can truthfully claim they've pet a Rahkshi?

Edited by Visaru

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

IC: Lash - Leva Bay

Lash leaned up against the boat, letting Verak go ahead prodding Breathless. The Toa's curiosity seemed genuine, and if it turned out he'd come all this way just to make a vain attempt at heroism by trying to kill the Rahkshi, he'd come to regret the decision quite quickly. 

Verak found the metallic material of the Rahkshi's shell to be almost unnaturally cool to the touch, damp in some spots from the flecks of sea spray wafting in from the bay. A subtle air current seemed to flow over and around the contours of the creature's face and carapace, moving one way, then the other, as the Rahkshi instinctively absorbed then released the air around it, poised to deploy its powers at the slightest provocation. 

• Like 1

LkqTlCk.jpg

BZPRPG Mercenary Organisation - Description - History - Base

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

IC

I couldn't believe how passive it was, unflinching at the touch of a stranger, a behavior in direct contrast to the aura of threat it is still able to exude.

"Mata Nui, Lash, how did you get this thing so tame?"

I wonder how far it will let me go. I push a little harder on the seam of its face, trying to pry open its faceplate and get a look at the hidden fleshy face inside...

"Antidermis. Some kind of weird slimy stuff from Makuta's lair," Lash explained, "I've heard that it can be used to mutate people, even rahi, like those tree-eating beetles that were let loose in Le-Wahi a while back. But if you use it on a Rahkshi, it seems to make the creature completely obedient." 

A low hiss of warning wafted from the Rahkshi's mouth, its slitted eyes narrowing at Verak as he tried to pry its faceplates apart. He could feel a resistance to his efforts, as whatever mechanism or muscles manipulated the pieces of the faceplate pushed against his attempted intrusion. 

LkqTlCk.jpg

IC
You know, maybe I was too pre-emptive about trying to leave this island. Rahkshi, mind control slime, memory fog... it seemed as if Mata-Nui had more than it's fair share of secrets to share still.

My thoughts are ripped back to the present as a snakelike hiss finally comes from the creature in front of me, and I instinctually jerk my hand back. 

"Sorry, mate," I tell Breathless, and turn around to face Lash. "This is crazy. Have you used this thing to... I don't know? Rob a bank or kill your enemies? You've got a whole lot of power at your fingertips, sister."

"I'd by lying if I said I haven't thought about it," she replied, shrugging, "But if I go around killing folks or committing crimes I'll end up with a target on my back and every Toa on the island coming after me. It's more useful as a bodyguard."

• Like 1

LkqTlCk.jpg

"I also didn't teach it any of that." The Rahkshi didn't react to Verak's motions, save to squint at him quizzically. "Most people on this rock are terrified of Rahkshi. If I turn it into a joke by making it do tricks, I'm diminishing that fear factor, and suddenly it becomes a lot less useful as a bodyguard." 

• Like 1

LkqTlCk.jpg

This'll be good... she thought, standing back and saying nothing while Verak manhandled the Rahkshi. 

The Rahkshi didn't resist as Verak raised and repositioned its arm; it had been poked and prodded aplenty during its time being studied by the Ussalry, after all. But it didn't seem to be paying any particular attention to the motion the Toa was trying to demonstrate. Its unblinking eyes were instead fixated on his face, studying his expression and intent with an unsettling intensity. 

• Like 1

LkqTlCk.jpg

IC: Solan Iudex - 'The Dancing Crab', Ostia

"Now...I don't 'member you telling me I can't smoke in here, but regardless, if you cared that much you should have stubbed the karzin' cig out yourself. Oh, I know ya wouldn't dare. I'm just sayin'. Yeah, yeah, I'll go outside. Keep ya mask on."

The bartender trying to reason with the careless veteran eventually gave up, as, midway through standing up, Solan Iudex paused and relit his cigarette, before sitting back down. Discerning whether he was acting out of genuine mental confusion or using his state as an excuse seemed a task of deduction that the Po-Matoran really wasn't prepared to perform after the long shift he just had. He simply shrugged at a few of the customers around the Su-Toa who exclaimed at Solan's sudden growing small cloud of smoke, the man periodically taking swigs from a tall glass of ale in-between his drags.

Solan, both literally and figuratively, didn't know why he was here. It'd been yet another uneventful day of travel, and no opportunities for him had presented themselves, those that had, had outright rejected him. Mercenary work, of late, was highly competitive, and it was difficult for an battered fool like himself to convince any potential employers that he was fit to work in pretty much any field. He sometimes pondered guard work, but it seemed that was much more thinking and sitting around than he was really capable of doing. Though he could probably do a better job than most of the clowns that they had working already.

And so, he languished. Maybe he hoped an opportunity would present itself to him, a job would fall out of the sky, to whisk him away from his troubles and downs.

Perhaps even a final journey...?

He coughed and spat as he realised he'd unintentionally bitten into his cigarette.

OOC: Open for interaction

• Like 2

IC: Verak (Leva Bay)

Once the Rahkshi's arm was in position, I turn to face it in the eyes. "Alright, mate, you've got some intense eye contact going here, I like it. Now this is what I want you to do with me every time you finish beating somebody up:"

I wind up and give Breathless a proper palm-stinging high five. 

• Like 1

Oh karz.

Being an animalistic slug in augmented armour meant that Rahkshi couldn't really feel pain in the conventional sense. But Breathless could certainly discern the different between a gentle touch and a hard strike, with Verak's forceful high-five definitively falling into the latter category. A category that was normally reserved for an attempt to cause it harm... 

The sound of flesh slapping armour echoed across the rocks and water for a moment... before being drowned out by the withering whine of whirling wind as Breathless started to draw upon its powers and raise its staff, ready to rend the Toa in twain for daring to strike it. 

"Stop!" Lash's voice cut through the noise, "Relax. I'll tell you when someone needs killing." 

With what seemed to be visible reluctance, the Rahkshi lowered its stave, regarding the Toa once more as it waited to see what he would do next.

• Like 2

LkqTlCk.jpg

IC

My mischievous grin was sucked off my face as the Rahkshi pulled the air out of my lungs, leaving me in a state of panic. Drowning is a special kind of fear, one that rings so many alarm bells in your brain that you can't really think about anything else; in this case, I was so disoriented that I didn't notice Breathless raise its staff to strike me until Lash told it to stop.

I gasp in immensely satisfying lungfuls of air and stumble away from the Rahkshi, coughing and gagging and putting my hands on my knees to catch my breath. After I recover, I turn to Lash with a bewildered, giddy smile. "******, I was hoping it would swing at me and I'd get to find out if my Calix is faster than a Rahkshi."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

IC: [Kohra - Iron Mahi, Second Passenger Car]

Her head was throbbing again, the constant swaying of the train wasn’t helping her feel any better and despite things staying relatively civilized between Datrox and the other Toa, there was entirely too much philosophical chit-chat. Wasn’t there someone in trouble?

The Vortixx was already pushing her way past Dolbren with a wince as she had to steady herself against the corridor wall without bumping into him too much, although she didn’t apologize about the odd elbow here and there either. Karz knew he was wide enough.

“You sound real concerned, you know?” She muttered under her breath, audibly exasperated as she made her way to the door.

She hit the opening switch and after a second to find a handhold, pulled herself across the gap and into the first carriage. 

OOC: @oncertainty @Tarn

• Like 4

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

IC: Minnorak - The Iron Mahi, First Passenger Car

As she stepped into the carriage, Kohra found the menacing mass that was Minnorak waiting, standing just a few bio back from the door. He narrowed his eyes at the newcomer through the angular eye-slits of his helmet's Rahkshi-styled faceplate, staring at her for a moment before speaking. 

He spoke just five words, in a tone both calm and commanding. 

"Return to your seat, please." 

He would only ask nicely once. 

@Vezok's Friend @Tarn @oncertainty

• Like 2

LkqTlCk.jpg

IC: [Kohra - Iron Mahi, First Passenger Car]

Compared to the armored figure now in front of her, the sickly vortixx looked rather diminutive. But she didn’t seem to be cognizant of that fact. Minnorak’s words reached her, but it took a second for them to process. She blinked, but kept moving. Why was he talking like he was in charge? There was no time for this. He clearly wasn’t with the railroad - didn’t even have a name tag. 

“What…yeah sure, I’ll just be a minute.” 

She gestured with her visible hand for the other Vortixx to stand aside as she passed, looking for whoever needed help or someone actually in charge on this train. 

OOC: @Tarn @oncertainty @Nato G

• Like 2

IC: Dolbren - The Iron Mahi

Dolbren raised the brows of his mask. He couldn't hear the specifics of the  Vortixx's comment, mumbled as she pushed her way past him, but the tone was clear enough. Some people just didn't know how to deal with tact. For all she knew, he really was trying to help people. Still: when people showed you who they were, it was best to believe them. Not to mention, when it was revealed how things were going to happen, there was no use fighting the tide. He looked over to Datrox.

"Well. I thought we might try the cargo cabin for the Sentinels, but it looks like your friend was impatient."

He looked back to the fore of the carriage, peering down the aisle.

"I don't want to overstep my bounds but, is she all right?"

After less than a breath's pause, he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Ah, don't answer that. Bad habit to pry. I don't need to know."

He really, really felt like he did.

"I can't say I like it, but if she's going up there she could probably use the support."

Nice and noncommittal. That was for the best. It was nigh-on out of his hands. Deal with it Minnorak. Deal with it Surdo.

What's that you say; leaving someone (someones?) out? Oh, well, Karmine or Baszlin? That would be be educational, certainly, but hard to imagine it might not just escalate things further.

OOC: @Vezok's Friend @Nato G @Tarn

• Like 4

IC: Datrox Karvan - Po-Wahi - The Iron Mahi (Second Passenger Car)

“Kohra—”

He took a couple steps after her and began to reach his hand out in vain, quickly putting it back at his side. Datrox stopped and looked back at Dolbren.

“…I think you’ve pried enough, yeah,” he said, still half-thinking about the things the Ba-Toa had said to him. Maybe he was right, but for now that wasn’t important. Datrox looked towards the cargo cabin, then back down the aisle to the other passenger car, at Kohra. “I didn’t want to get the Sentinels involved anyway,” Datrox admitted, “especially if it turns out to be nothing, after all.” He said the last part in a way that, to Dolbren’s ears, sounded awfully insincere. The longer he had spoken to the other Toa, the more Datrox was becoming more and more convinced his paranoia had been right.

He didn’t want to be apart from Kohra. In a situation like this, where he wasn’t fully sure what was going on yet, Datrox felt more concerned about her than he had before. A couple of glances her way, even after she had gotten on the next car, gave away that much. Then again, even with her condition, Kohra was still armed. That gave him some peace of mind. And maybe some time.

“I don’t want to leave her alone too along,” Datrox said, half-turning away from the other Toa and preparing to walk. “I think something else is going on here. At least, I have an idea. Maybe just a hunch.”

He pulled back his cloak, revealing a lightly-armored body in a shade of maroon. He wasn’t sure what the Ba-Toa would do next, but the conversation felt unfinished.

“So do you have any more words of wisdom for me before I go over there?”

OOC: @Vezok's Friend@oncertainty@Nato G

• Like 4

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

On 8/18/2022 at 8:17 AM, Vezok's Friend said:

“What…yeah sure, I’ll just be a minute.” She gestured with her visible hand for the other Vortixx to stand aside as she passed, looking for whoever needed help or someone actually in charge on this train. 

IC: Minnorak - The Iron Mahi, First Passenger Car

Behind the visor of his helmet, Minnorak’s brow furrowed. This Vortixx appeared… unwell. Her eyes were bloodshot, and she seemed distracted, oblivious to the nature of the situation at hand and the implicit threat of an armed and armoured Vortixx blocking her path.

At Kohra’s gesture for him to step aside, Minnorak instead widened his stance slightly and planted his feet, repositioning his shield and halberd to effectively block what little room in the aisle his bulky body wasn’t already occupying. If she tried to push past, he would push back.

“Return to your seat,” he growled again, his tone far more forceful this time. “No one needs to get hurt today.”

@Vezok's Friend @Tarn @oncertainty

• Like 2

LkqTlCk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

IC: Dolbren - The Iron Mahi [Second Passenger Car]

Datrox was probably right. He wasn't doing what Dolbren wanted him to do, but Dolbren could tell that he saw truly, at least in part. And if he didn't know now, he would know soon enough. The team in the first passenger car, with the exception of Surdo, were not possessed of Dolbren's own considerable social niceties. So be it. Perhaps Quoribay had well-considered when he chose the teams, however much Dolbren wished he could indulge himself. He knew how to do his job well enough.

As soon as the red-armoured Toa said it, Dolbren considered Datrox's last remark. He smiled. It was genuine. The Ta-Toa might be tiring of their game, and he was so honestly worried about his Vortixx friend, but he had forgotten an essential truth of their situation. For a while, at least, no one would be getting off the train. Every piece remained in play.

"Go then, keep your friend out of trouble. I do hope you don't need that sword to do it though. Keep out of trouble yourself, for that matter. And for your question, well. As far as I'm concerned, I don't have any wisdom to give. I just pay attention, that's all."

He gave a loose salute.

"I'll be here if you need me, not like I have anywhere else to go."

He leaned against the back wall of the carriage, and crossed his arms.

As soon as Datrox turned away, Dolbren's expression hardened. He stared down the aisle, past both Datrox and his friend, to the looming form of Minnorak. Catching the Vortixx's gaze as best he could, Dolbren gave a wink. Given his reputation and position within the Outsiders, Dolbren was sure that Minnorak knew how to distribute force if he needed to. If Datrox thought mucking with their plans would be easy, he was in for a surprise. All he could do now was wait in anticipation. Based on Minnorak's stance, however, he didn't imagine he would have to wait for long.

OOC: @Tarn @Vezok's Friend @Nato G apologies for the wait, all!

• Like 3

The vortixx took another step, and promptly bumped into Minnorak, blocking the aisle. She paused for an instant, then slowly raised her head to look at the other Vortixx. She still didn’t look any better, but in those bloodshot eyes, there was a glint of…something. Kohra felt her obscured left hand twitch below her poncho. She didn’t want to pick a fight at all, and especially not in her current state, but this was getting ridiculous and upsetting.

“They said someone’s already hurt; I’m trying to get help.” 

As she spoke, an edge crept into her voice too. 

So what are you doing?

OOC: @Tarn@oncertainty@Nato G

• Like 1