How Did You Choose Your Username?

Mushy the Mushroom

How did you invent it? Have you had many, or mainly stayed with the same one? What was the inspiration behind yours? Do you theme your profiles/signatures to match? 

(Mine was inspired by affinity for the beautiful world of fungi, Toad and Toadette from Nintendo, and the time my mother played a Super Mario game for the first time and gleefully screamed “HERE, MUSHY, MUSHY!” while attempting to crush those poor Goombas.)

Edited by Mushy the Mushroom
  • Like 4

goldy.jpg.2a929e25bde483fa0a84efa39cb7af8d.jpgIMG_7223(2).jpg.62624129031c1e2fd7df50d70b18f765.jpggoldy.jpg.2a929e25bde483fa0a84efa39cb7af8d.jpg

IMG_0692.GIF.3309bb29bcc7460f3b8786a87af44771.png.da7133cb92dbb2189370ddfa6f4d46de.png Member-Made Emote Topic h.jpg.3e4ad884a1ceef85d03b81b5df0c09ef.jpg

Original Mush art thanks to @Bambi

I'm on my tenth different name on here so, heh...

From my very first starting name - when as a kid I didn't know a thing about forum sites and thought it was just a log-in name, not realising that it was going to be associated with every post I made and should probably have been a little more meaningful than just the literal first Bionicle-related string I thought of - to the several variations of my original character's name(s), I rolled through several usernames back in the day that seemed good at the time, but that I had very little personal attachment to. Even the one I had previously settled on for the longest time - Darth Jaller - was an allusion to a silly project I started working on and didn't get very far with; but by the time I realised I was giving up on that, the name had stuck and I didn't have any other ideas. I was Darth Jaller for probably longer than I've had any other BZP username.

And then, in contrast, there's my current name. One that I really stopped and thought that I wanted something that more represented me. After bouncing around several ideas, unsure whether I wanted to tie my identity to a specific Bionicle character or not but still wanting something Bionicle-related nonetheless, given the nature of the site, I eventually settled on the one I have now.

Matoran... well, I've long identified with the Matoran characters just as much as, if not more than, the Toa (thanks, MNOG!). That Matoran made me out to be a specific one of them, without specifying who. The Vahi part is representative of the most mysterious aspects of the early years of Bionicle; I remember being enthralled when it first showed up at the end of comic #11, and that sense of mystery, so common at the beginning, is a big part of what makes Bionicle Bionicle to me. And I have a Vahi mask piece, too, so on that count the name is even accurate. But it's also a subtle callback to my original Matoran character who, in one of his many never-written-but-often-imagined stories, was to find the Vahi in the chaos of Ta-Koro's destruction. No-one else will get the reference, but it amuses me to call back to it. So, putting all those elements together, the name feels like something that's representative of 'me' within the Bionicle fandom, or at least of my specific preferences, far more than any of my previous ones did.

My avatar bears no relation to this at all. Nor does my sig, really; though the Miramax movie style and some of their quotes, like the elements that make up my username, are essential Bionicle nostalgia to me, so it ties in with my username in at least that sense ^^

• Like 3

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

I started out as Iron_Man5 because I loved Iron Man. B-) That was my username across most sites for a long time.

https://c.tenor.com/eYaW9-gsx5kAAAAM/iron-man-i-love-you3000.gif

Eventually I got more into gaming and my gamer username was TERIDAX941, picked because of ol' Terry's quote (see sig below for full quote). After a bit all to keep it consistent, I changed all my social media usernames to "teridax941". :)

Edited by TERIDAX941
  • Like 3

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

The genesis of Bambi:

Around 2007 when the Michael Bay Transformers movie came out, I got a Brawl figure and my brother got Megatron. We thought it was funny how when Megatron was transformed into vehicle mode, it looked like he had a beak. Fast forward to 2008, after years of lurking I wanted to create an account here, so I asked my brother for a username suggestion. He said Brawl and Megatrons Beak, and for some reason we thought it was hilarious and I stuck with it lol. Nobody wants to type all that when referring to me, so it got shortened to Bamb, and then Bambi.

Not sure if I'd have gone with that nowadays, but it was funny thirteen years ago. :P

• Like 3

When coming up with a name for my personal Bionicle universe character in the mid-2000's, I decided to try combining some of my favourite Bionicle names and terms in order to create a name that sounded authentic. I ended up settling on a combination of the Kanohi Hau :hau: and Avohkii: Hovoki! Not long after that, my parents finally allowed me to create a BZP account after years of lurking, and I began posting and making friends in the hugely popular The Bionicles Try to Run a House comedy written by MT Zehvor. I was graciously welcomed in by the members of MT's Toa team, the Zehvor, where we adventured through the worlds of comedy and BZPower! 

And that's how I became Toa Hovoki Zehvor! Lately I've been thinking about changing the spelling to Hovokii, but I feel like I have to earn my little naming day ceremony so maybe I'll do it when I've contributed something really cool to the community!

I'm looking forward to hearing all of your username stories!

• Like 2

personal_banner_6.png

From 'Aderyn', a name that means 'bird', because flying would be super cool. I think my very first username was Rusty Red Raptor because I was going through a phoenix phase from reading Harry Potter at the time (also it was a more androgynous username, which seemed advantageous), so the bird motif carried over. 

• Like 1

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

I started out with another user name, Bitrzo it had some meaning but I honestly can't remember what lol. I changed to Alucus around 2007 it was actually the name of a moc that I made of a pit prisoner. It actually stuck since then, I actually use this everywhere and have done ever since.

• Like 2

Back from the darkness

(will update soon)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, smol me adored Takanuva and was evidently very creative. I'm mostly sticking with the name though because at this point it's almost nostalgic, plus it's what most people around here know me by these days, anyway. Tried some different things over the years, but nothing really stuck.

• Like 2

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

When I joined way back in early 2004, I originally went by the name of Takanuva's Symbol because I (like I'm sure many other younger fans like me at the time did) mistakenly believed Takanuva was a Toa Nuva like the others we were familiar with, so it made sense in my mind that he should have a Nuva symbol too (I had even planned to make a custom avatar depicting what I believed such a Nuva symbol should look like, but me being an ignorant 13-year-old at the time never really got around to it).

My activity dropped off for a few years, and when I decided to resume activity in late 2012, I decided to change my username to something more consistent with usernames I had on other sites (also, I considered my old username to be rather childish and wanted to move on from some admittedly shameful memories of my internet activity back in my early teens). A few years prior, I had joined some other forum and wanted to express to them how much of a fan I was of Bionicle, so I went with The Chronicler. However, that named really worked only on that rather niche forum, so as I joined other larger sites, I needed something less generic and more specific. I eventually settled on Chronicler06, with the number at the end reflecting not only my favorite year of Bionicle (2006), but also because the number 6 has shown up in so many aspects of my life that I consider it my lucky number.

Edited by Chronicler06
fixed a typo
  • Like 1

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

I just find Nektann a funny bionicle username that is seldom taken on most platforms.

• Like 2

Bazinga! I've been a Bionicle Fan since early 2015 and have been aware of it since 2008. Was a bit late to the party due to my age, but that doesn't matter now. Looking for krana and sealed G1 sets at below market value if possible, (otherwise it'll be a few years before I care to collect sets I don't care as much about) Bohrok Kal and Krana Kal Mask Pack sets are ones I am particularly looking for atm.

I go by Nektann or Marcato usually online.

On 10/10/2021 at 8:00 PM, Fyndegil said:

I mispelled a minor character from a book

If it's the character I assume it is, then it's minor indeed. Like... "only in the Appendices, in the peripheral bits to create the illusion it was an ancient text"-peripheral.  

I approve!

My own name is far more mundane: it was gifted me by my younger brothers as an Internet-safe pseudonym by which to refer to me (I was oldest brother, hence the 1, and a Tahu/Lhikan/Jaller fan, hence the Hau), but I liked it. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It being my primary online handle for 15 years, I have absolutely no idea. I remember literally nothing about why I picked such a non-sequitur of a name. Is "Inika" my proper name and "Master" the title? Do I mean to imply that I am a seventh "master" among the Toa Inika? Was it supposed to be Mr. Inika? I have no recollection, and it's possible I never knew to begin with.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Well it all started when I made a moc called Onupurple. He was one of my first moc toa and was the first to use purple (my favorite colour). After several years I realised Onupurple was kinda silly and wanted to give him a new name. I had the character for quite a while so I couldn't just change to drastically. So I kept the "On" from the start of the name and put "purple" into google translate and eventually found "vermel". Stick thme together and you get Onvermel.

BZpower id the first place I used Onvermel as before I always went with PurpleWolf but decided on a bionicle name for the forum. Since then I have used Onvermel on every platform as it's a name I made up so I a guaranteed it to not be taken.

• Like 1

"I believe in certainties. The strength of my limbs, the power of my mask, the sharp edges of my blades — that is what I build my plans around. Trickery, deception, complex strategies, they are for the weak! If you want power, and another has it, you get it not by outwitting him — you get it by stepping over his corpse." Makuta Icarax

"WHO ATE ALL THE PIES! WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!"

http://onvermelreport.blogspot.ca/ --- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaX7xUwGu9-8kVqQ4BqOxWw               

onvermel_report_logo_24.bmp

Its my cousin's name actually... and he had an Xbox at the time. I thought that was cool. He later on invited me to create a Millsbury account to mess around with that game a bit, so since I was visiting his house I just smashed together the two things; his name and his Xbox. I kept the name when I created a BZPower account later in roughly 2006 or so, and its carried with me ever since.

Although I do find it funny when people refer to me as Travis because  its not my name, its my cousin's. But at this point going with XboxJake or XboxJacob wouldn't have quite the correct ring to it with 16+ years now of using Xboxtravis. 

• Like 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Once upon a time, there was an administrator of BZPower, one of the founders, who was fond of Ronald Reagan and the flag of the USA and his username on here was "Bionicle Rex". This inspired a host of copycat names with "Bionicle ____" something or the other. "Rex" is regal, and when I joined BZPower back in July 2003, I wanted to stand out, but not in an official-sounding capacity. I brainstormed other roles that could exist alongside and within BIONICLE and I settled on a guru. After all, Mata Nui was populated by tribes led by tribal chieftains, and there was a Chronicler and a Wall of History and Suva shrines and a Great Temple. I'm sure a guru of sorts could've found a niche in Matoran society, and that is what I wanted to do on BZPower: find my niche and be a guru regarding the toys and the myths of the BIONICLE. A BIONICLE Guru. And so I am still to this day, though few remain to remember me and even I have started to waver in my knowledge of the legends of olde.

• Like 2
Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"

• 2 weeks later...

For as long as I can remember, when I was little I always thought it was cool how my initials spelled a real word even if it's not a super common one (unless you're in the navy I guess) and as for the "eighteen" in my teen years I was one of those dumb kids who thought turning eighteen meant you became the boss of your own life (and that's a good thing) so that's why I became attached to the number eighteen. 

I can't remember if BZPower was the first time I used "JAG18", but definitely since I've done a good job of making it my internet identity across as many platforms as possible.  I'm a millennial so I grew up thinking having (or being) a "brand" was a good thing and being easy to find online was part of that.  In the last couple of years I've come to realize making my online content so easy to find is probably going to come back and haunt me, but you know the past is dead the future yet to born.  I'm just glad I joined BZP later in high school so my early posts are only moderately cringey.  😝

• Like 1

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

On 3/13/2022 at 10:47 AM, Xboxtravis said:

Its my cousin's name actually...

I laughed but then I remembered my name is similar, axel is my middle name and ford my brothers middle name, originally this name was for a shared Minecraft account that eventually became solely mine and by the time I started wanting to engage with other Bionicle fans, this was sort of the only name I could think of.

Also ironically axel was going to be my first name (My mother had read Journey to the centre of the earth around that time and Axel is the protag's name) but my parents chickened out and instead relegated it to a middle name, however now lots of people online shorten my username and call me by Axel so yeah!

3 hours ago, JAG18 said:

thought it was cool how my initials spelled a real word even if it's not a super common one

If I had a nickel for every time I knew someone who's initials spelt JAG I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot but it's weird it has happened twice.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 4:51 PM, Sumiki said:

"Toa of Sushi," so I kinda dodged a bullet there

Indeed! Also just wanted to randomly say, your sig is my favourite one on BZP, cracks me up every time!

Edit: darn it I meant to make my comments all one post, welp

Edited by Axelford
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

BZP. The one, the only big online hub for Bionicle freaks everywhere. It was 2009, and after a long time stalking, I finally signed up. I'd already acquired a Nidhiki-themed name on DeviantArt and thought 'I'll do Sidorak here'. Say 'sike' right now- all the good ones were taken. Imagine that. 'Sidy' was the most unoffensive compromise I could muster. "At least it has no numbers", I said.

In those days I was mostly active in the comedy threads. My posts are so old that they've long disappeared to the nether, but through audience participation, 'Sidy' developed a character of their own- a female Steltian entrepreneur who left the island to sell her work without competition. There was an ongoing gag that she had a rivalry with Vezon over who could pull off the greatest evil schemes, and for a while, it was what I was 'known' for. Looking back on it now, it was all good childish fun, and the name doesn't reflect my interests anymore, but I decided to keep it for now, and lengthen it proper.  Sidrohan is an integral part of my history here, and represents a lot of great memories.

• Like 1

Did you know that insanity is contagious? I've been spreading it for years!

All hail Makuta Teridax that creepy guy to my right,Master of Shadows.