Looking for Voriki's creator (and how to contact them).

Wixhael

Hello! As the title suggests, I'm currently trying to find the original creator of the long-loved Bionicle hoax/meme, Voriki.

For a bit of context, I'm currently taking a Documentary Filmmaking class at my college, and I really want to make Voriki the subject of my end-of-year project. I think the way this character has remained relevant and beloved even 20 years after his initial creation is a fascinating concept, and I'd love to use that to look deeper into how fandoms like Bionicle's view popular fan-works and memes. I'd love to talk about the history of the hoax, its increase in popularity in the past 20 years, and even interview the creator if possible.

However, there's a bit of an issue with that: the initial posts on BZPower about Voriki were lost a long time ago, and the name of the creator along with them. Every venue I've checked has come up empty; the BionicleFandom wiki focuses on the in-universe story of the character, Know Your Meme seems pretty unknowledgeable about the his creation, even the archived version of the Voriki website lacks any name or contact info that could help me find them.

So, all that to say, is there anyone on BZP that was around when the leak first popped up? Do you remember who created it? And if so, is there any way to contact them? I'd love to be able to interview them about the creation of Voriki and how the character has only grown since then. Furthermore, is it possible that anyone has any screenshots/website archives of the original posts? If you can help in any way, please let me know! It wouldn't feel right to make this kind of project without at least knowing the creator of the documentary's subject. Thank you in advance!

I don't have a source for this, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think I remember reading at one point that there are active BZP members who remember the username of the creator, but the creator had disappeared from BZP long ago. 

I remember those days though. I fell for it hook, line and sinker. Back then I was constantly looking for new toy fair pictures and rumours of new Bionicle products, and Voriki seemed like a godsend with his awesome purple colour scheme and very convincing (at least to me at the time) new pieces. I stuck to the belief of his authenticity way longer than I should have, and honestly I wish I still believed. 

Good luck with the doc! I hope someone is able to help you better than I could, and I hope to see your documentary in the future!

• Like 1

personal_banner_6.png

• 1 year later...
On 9/7/2021 at 1:52 PM, Wixhael said:

Hello! As the title suggests, I'm currently trying to find the original creator of the long-loved Bionicle hoax/meme, Voriki.

For a bit of context, I'm currently taking a Documentary Filmmaking class at my college, and I really want to make Voriki the subject of my end-of-year project. I think the way this character has remained relevant and beloved even 20 years after his initial creation is a fascinating concept, and I'd love to use that to look deeper into how fandoms like Bionicle's view popular fan-works and memes. I'd love to talk about the history of the hoax, its increase in popularity in the past 20 years, and even interview the creator if possible.

However, there's a bit of an issue with that: the initial posts on BZPower about Voriki were lost a long time ago, and the name of the creator along with them. Every venue I've checked has come up empty; the BionicleFandom wiki focuses on the in-universe story of the character, Know Your Meme seems pretty unknowledgeable about the his creation, even the archived version of the Voriki website lacks any name or contact info that could help me find them.

So, all that to say, is there anyone on BZP that was around when the leak first popped up? Do you remember who created it? And if so, is there any way to contact them? I'd love to be able to interview them about the creation of Voriki and how the character has only grown since then. Furthermore, is it possible that anyone has any screenshots/website archives of the original posts? If you can help in any way, please let me know! It wouldn't feel right to make this kind of project without at least knowing the creator of the documentary's subject. Thank you in advance!

hi I'm in 2022 and your video was incredible keep up the great work

image.gif.f0b625d4fc4c82b928516a036fc1cf5a.gif