A Pahrak wall painting

Lenny7092

Lmao what are you talking about? Lenny never claimed to make this art; he explicitly said "Someone did a painting of..." 

This doesn't break any rules.

• Upvote 2

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

3 hours ago, Lorentz said:

Lmao what are you talking about? Lenny never claimed to make this art; he explicitly said "Someone did a painting of..." 

i once read a topic called "holy karzahni" or something.

that topic was showing off a karzahni sculpture, but the person who started the topic said: "look what i found this guy made a karzahni statue". it wasn't his.

and it was closed as according to BZpower rules.

now this is in bionicle discussion, whereas "Holy karzhahni" was in general art, so maybe this specific topic is okay, but i'm not sure.

cd8fe5e91d9a2d2ad25eceee0f67b726e8e8ae67.gif.9de126b854fc59a28d4a68fcd1ec0fd9.gif

8 hours ago, Lorentz said:

Not a case of him claiming it as his own, but posting other people's art IS against the General Art rules (which is where something like this should normally be posted by the creator themselves). From the General Art rules:

On 6/27/2011 at 4:35 AM, bonesiii said:

5. All topics in General Art must present your own LEGO-related artwork.

Topics that are NOT allowed here include posting someone else's art you found

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

I think the rules are fairly clear, but (speaking strictly as a n00b and a non-Mod) in Lenny's defence, this is kind of a different situation (and I apologise if this tangential post is too off-topic--I clearly think/hope not, but I don't have the institutional memory to know).

Street art ("graffiti"), while is art is generally anonymous, for reasons that I think should be obvious. In the case of something explicitly anonymous, is it fair to apply the normal "only the creator may post" rule? For things that are corporate--like a larger-than-life Toa Nuva at Legoland, it's anonymous in the sense that a specific creator may not be identified, but because it fits into the neat category of official-from-TLG Bionicle, it has a place here.

I also wonder if the days of "only the creator may post art" are somewhat conditioned by what the Internet was in the 2000s. Nowadays, when the overall online community of almost any fandom is diffused over multiple media, BZP is sort of insisting that something in counting as Bionicle Art may only be posted if the creator is a member. In 2005, that was probably extremely likely. 16 years later, there are Bionicle fans who are actively chiefly on Tumblr or Twitter or Instagram or Flickr or whatnot, but the only way their work can be shared with the fans on BZP is if something happens to get a news story and its attendant article.

I'm not sure there's an ideal solution--I don't think it's false to say that BZP would LIKE to have all Bionicle content flow through the forum, and I think it's fair to want to preserve a clear distinction of ownership. Perhaps, like the Buy/Sell forum has a dedicated "Look at the eBay listing I found" thread, a dedicated "cool art I found elsewhere" thread--with a requirement for "I found it HERE and it was credited there are THIS USERNAME/PERSON'S" format.

That's a beautiful piece of art, and I wish I could focus more on the art itself and less on the circumstances.

About the rule: I'm also not a mod, but I highly suspect there could/should be an exception for anonymous pieces.

• Like 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 1 month later...