LEGO's Impact on your Holidays

Mushy the Mushroom

Are the bricks a big part of your wintertime traditions? Do you have any special memories, like unwrapping a yearned-for brick toy under the tree? Do you give or receive LEGO gifts presently? Do you use them to decorate, or spend time building with friends or family, this time of year? How has the brand, or BZPower, brightened your season?

Wishing all happy holidays!

:xmas:

goldy.jpg.2a929e25bde483fa0a84efa39cb7af8d.jpgIMG_7223(2).jpg.62624129031c1e2fd7df50d70b18f765.jpggoldy.jpg.2a929e25bde483fa0a84efa39cb7af8d.jpg

IMG_0692.GIF.3309bb29bcc7460f3b8786a87af44771.png.da7133cb92dbb2189370ddfa6f4d46de.png Member-Made Emote Topic h.jpg.3e4ad884a1ceef85d03b81b5df0c09ef.jpg

Original Mush art thanks to @Bambi

Lego was always a huge part of Christmas for me. One of my earliest Lego holiday memories is getting Ogel Control Center and Island Xtreme Tower (Alpha Team and Island remain two of my favorite themes to this day). I always looked forward to getting either Lego or Bionicle each year, and it always made me so excited. <3

Last year for the first time in ages, I actually gifted my brother a Lego set. I got him 75277 Boba Fett Helmet. We both agreed that after so long, it's nice to get a new set like in the old days lol.

• Like 1

Lego and Christmas went hand in hand for me growing up. I remember a lot of the specific sets I got. 2004, the Battle of Yavin IV and TIE collections. 2008, the Tiny Turbos Brick Street Customs. 2009, Skopio XV-1. Also Maxilos and Spinax, the 2008 Takanuva, and more.

I used to put Balta and Piruk up in the tree, or some other Lego sets. I think I made a Bionicle nativity once, and I wish I remembered which sets I used.

This year I asked my mom for Moff Gideon's Light Cruiser, and I'm looking forward to it. I don't think I've gotten a good-sized Star Wars set since 2014.

I have one of those tiny Lego Christmas trees that I put up every year, and it's up now.

I like thinking about it, but it also makes me sad. The holidays aren't the same when you're an adult, and I don't know how all the adults around me when I was young got through it.

• Like 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 3 weeks later...

Aw, I enjoyed reading these a lot, thanks for sharing! <3

LEGO has always meant Christmas to me personally, and I cannot remember a year without my brother or I receiving some kind of brick treat. We used to spend hours flipping through the catalogs, playing with minfigs on our LEGO trains set up under the tree, and we still spend a good chunk of time on LEGO Wii & Xbox games during the holidays. I'll never forget the time, many moons ago, when we were reunited with our biological grandfather (adopted parent) and he gifted us an Xbox and the LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga game. This sparked both an obsession with any and every LEGO game, and the Star Wars franchise itself. Those levels were so difficult to complete before watching the movies. 

This year, parents gifted me Pohatu, after I got the courage up to ask. My first fully-owned Bionicle, to th amusement of my brother. I'd contentedly shared/claimed my his sets until now, not being aware of affordable early G1 stuff on Bricklink. Maybe he will grow down and return to the land of LEGO. Was also sweetly surprised to receive a Lego Classic 1500 piece set, precious purple! 

Edited by Mushy the Mushroom
  • Like 1

goldy.jpg.2a929e25bde483fa0a84efa39cb7af8d.jpgIMG_7223(2).jpg.62624129031c1e2fd7df50d70b18f765.jpggoldy.jpg.2a929e25bde483fa0a84efa39cb7af8d.jpg

IMG_0692.GIF.3309bb29bcc7460f3b8786a87af44771.png.da7133cb92dbb2189370ddfa6f4d46de.png Member-Made Emote Topic h.jpg.3e4ad884a1ceef85d03b81b5df0c09ef.jpg

Original Mush art thanks to @Bambi

Alas, no Bionicles for me for Christmas in about 12 years now, but I've now had 30 consecutive Christmases getting LEGO (1992-2021), partly off the luck of never having had a true dark age and partly off the luck of having in-laws who are Gift People and need suggestions for me. I almost can't imagine Christas without building something. My very first LEGO set was a Christmas present, and the biggest LEGO days of them all in my childhood were Christmases--and spending that Christmas cash in the days that followed.

• Like 1

I think starting from 2006, I got at least one set, usually many more, as a gift for the next decade or so.

This year, my mom sent me out last minute for gifts for my family. I tried to find some Duplo for my nephew since he's getting to be around that age, but the store was all sold out. I may have picked up a Ninjago City Gardens for myself though, you know, just while I was there.

• Like 1