Making a MNOG Without Flash: Would it be Possible?

This is an out-of-nowhere random question, so bear with me. I just had a thought while I was out last month.

MNOG games are, of course, a staple of Bionicle, and have been ever since the beginning. It's been a long time since we've seen a new one, for obvious reasons; and now, with Flash having become mostly obsolete, it seems even more unlikely that we ever will see a new game in that exact style, even in fan-made circles. After all, how can you create a new Flash game without Flash?

Which... is actually my question here, really. In this day and age, where Flash is no longer a seriously viable option, how might one go about building a MNOG-style game? That click-through, explorey, adventurey, interactive kind of thing... Would it even be possible? I'd like to think that Flash wasn't the only means available to construct such a game, just the most suitable for its time, but I quite honestly don't know; are there other programs around at present that could aid in producing a similar kind of experience to the one that so many of us treasure from Bionicle's early days?

I dunno that I'm actually committing to anything; I have some vague ideas for experimenting with, but nothing more. But it's one of those things that you just start idly wondering about, and then can't stop, you know?

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

You could probably do it in Unity. Point and click adventures predate Flash. 

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I don't know the full details beneath the hood, but obviously the preserved BioMediaProject versions of MNOG run without a Flash extension on browser. I don't know if there is a Flash emulator built into the downloadable MNOG or something like that.

If you wanted a full non-Flash version, it would maybe be easier to rip the assets and reprogram the game in a newer engine. Of course that could lead to another project of upscaling and restoration... since so much of the audio and texture files are very compressed by modern standards. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

Yeah, the downloadable files of the old MNOG-style games on BMP kind of smoosh a Flash runtime into an executable file. So it's still running the same source files, just in a way that doesn't rely on a browser-based Flash runtime.

Unity would be a fine option if that's what one as a developer is used to, but it's a bit heavy (slow downloads, relatively high CPU usage). These MNOG games have some similar features: 2D, relatively low-res, low-performance, and want a low bar to just start playing. Yeah, Unity has a browser player, but if it were me, I'd start with an HTML5/Javascript based game engine. Maybe something like Phaser. It works great for 2D, will "just work" in a browser, and doesn't require as much computing resources as a bigger game engine would. There are other Javascript-based 2D game engines out there, though.

You'd do the vector art in a separate application (heck, maybe still Flash Professional if one has an old copy), which is what would give the game that classic MNOG look.

Edited by -Takua-
Posted before I was done typing!
  • Like 1