The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

• 3 weeks later...

warm dang, the new Meshuggah is pretty awesome. honestly probably one of my favorites they've done. I was kinda burnt out/bored with them for a while but this new album has reminded me why I used to love them

also the new Darkthrone slays

edit: also, new Ulcerate in two weeks, hyped as FRICK

Edited by Serein

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

guys that new Superjoint tho

its still the same old tired "bwah the media's bad" thing from phil but his vocals are still punishing, maybe even more so as he ages

and its still the same sloppy-on-purpose NOLA sludgecore from the rest of the guys but still really heavy and everything good about the genre

only in dreams.

>100x more substance

than hollow? or 10s? or suicide note pt. 1?

ill agree that most of phils lyrics are a bunch of shallow tough guy posting up but hollow is about a friend of his that was brain-dead and kept alive by life support, 10s is a view of a sad, broken junkie of a man trapped on the carousel of heroin addiction, and suicide note is...kind of the same thing i guess but still 

alls im sayin is dont discount him as a songwriter completely just because most pantera songs sound like things he shouts at people when he tries to fight them (or for the fact that hes probably a nazi)

Edited by Johnny Truant

only in dreams.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

year got off to a slow start imo but it's finally hitting its stride. The Assassination of Julius Caesar by Ulver (while not technically a metal album itself, I still consider Ulver a part of the metal scene), Infrared Horizon by Artificial Brain, Not for Music by Emptiness, Gnosis Kardias (Of Transcension and Involution) by Inferno, A Place Where There's No More Pain by Life of Agony, and Godless Prophets and the Migrant Flora by Darkest Hour are my favorite metal albums of the year so far and there's a lot I still haven't checked out. new Mastodon and Novembers Doom are solid, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really love SikTh, but like... I would honestly rather have them take another break and have Mikee go do some more stuff with Outside the Coma instead at this point. Or have him do anything else really, because I kind of feel like he might be on a completely different level than the rest of SikTh and they're just holding him back? The Battle of Being was a better album than classic SikTh, and certainly much much better than the new.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 1 month later...

Anyone in bands? Or play an instrument?

I'm the drummer/backing vocalist for a groove/hardrock/pop punk group named "The Winks." We just formed this year and we hope to start getting gigs soon. I also march trumpet in my college marching band. (I know both of those aren't metal (well a trumpet is made out of metal)).

So as far as metal music goes, go listen to Trivium's new song if you haven't heard it yet ("The Sin and the Sentence"). It's fantastic and I'm very excited for their next album!

PS, I also play a little bit of guitar and I'm working a few of my own original songs (I'd classify them as a mix of melodic metal, old school heavy metal (like Iron Maiden), and a little bit of progressive rock/metal. When I'm not busy, I'd like to record them.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

• 4 weeks later...