The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

and the studio version has now been released.

it's okay. a lot better than "Soul Hacker", but still, Fear Factory is as Fear Factory does. I'm starting to think Mechanize was a lucky fluke because so far nothing they've released since has been able to match it.

now, the new Soilwork song on the other hand.. definitely living up to expectations. so stoked for The Ride Majestic.

Edited by Scythey

It seems like all the bands that I want to buy albums from are releasing their new stuff later in the year (with little to no albums until said time); Stratovarius, Iron Maiden, Sevendust, and whoever else I forgot about

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

am i doing it right?

Sonicchannel_metal.png

check out my totally ORIGINAL youtube channel, Below Average Geeks!  I'm trying something different.its very small, so comments will be noticed and read.

just a poll.on a scale of one to ten, how likely are you to read a webcomic based on just this title: 'Neon Laser Dragons.'?

see these guys?

0VlbJ.gif  AjzI5.gif msLAB.gif cr1zz.gif

alrighty bros, listen up.

my lightning dragon is lonely.

click dis bebe dergen pls.

i know its dumb.

jus do it pls.for me, a'ight?

',:]

my Skrall--er, scroll.

• 2 weeks later...

ignoring that nonsense..

Baroness have announced their long-awaited new album, Purple, and released a new song titled "Chlorine & Wine". the album is slated for release on December 18. it should be obvious how I would feel about that choice of color.

song is great, reminds me of the heavier/harder moments off of Yellow & Green mixed with a little bit of Blue Record - not a complete return to their sludge metal roots, but definitely acknowledging them more than anything off the last album did. so stoked for this album now, I really got into Baroness over the summer (after previously being more of a casual fan) and I can't wait to hear something new from them.

oh, and also, I got my pre-order digital download for The Ride Majestic by Soilwork last night and it's absolutely fantastic. for now I'll say it's definitely on par with The Living Infinite, and further listens are required to decide whether or not I like it better. definitely definitely definitely one of my favorite albums of the year though, probably at #2 juuust slightly behind Abyss by Chelsea Wolfe.

Edited by Scythey
  • Upvote 1

Yup, The Ride Majestic is pretty bloody excellent.

Gave a listen to the recent album by Tribulation, Children of the Night, which I ended up really digging. Apparently they were a death/thrash metal band before, but this album is some really excellent gothic metal, with perhaps even a touch of black and progressive. I'd highly recommend it.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 3 weeks later...

Scythey's right. I know COT rules are more lenient now, but this is clearly a topic about music. And there's the following global rule to take into account: "Do not post if you have nothing to add. If you don't know the answer to a question or have nothing to add to a discussion - DON'T POST."

Please keep things on-topic.

• Upvote 3

new slayer album was disappointing as expected... I was hoping for better after the first single but it ended up being slayer. New Amorphis was cool, though I think I still prefer Circle. Also nobody's talking about Book Of Souls, so I assume nobody liked it? :P

Edited by The Xinlo Of This Story

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I've told a couple people here about this but for anyone else who's interested, there's a band called Earthside that's preparing to release their debut album A Dream in Static later this month.

they play a form of semi-instrumental progressive metal that they describe as "cinematic rock". they've gotten comparisons to Opeth and Katatonia among others, and worked with producers/engineers David Castillo and Jens Bogren (Opeth, Katatonia, Soilwork) as well as artist Travis Smith who has done most of the album layouts and cover art for those bands as well.

they've released three songs from it so far, "The Closest I've Come", which is instrumental; "Mob Mentality", featuring Lajon Witherspoon (Sevendust) and the Moscow Symphony Orchestra; and most recently "Crater", featuring Björn Strid (Soilwork). in a year that has seen the release of an incredible new Soilwork album, a new Night Flight Orchestra album, and a Disarmonia Mundi album featuring him on 6 songs, I've gotta say, even as a guest appearance this is probably the single best vocal performance I've ever heard from Strid. he really pours everything into it.

I highly recommend them to people who like melodic, progressive, atmospheric music and who don't mind half the album being instrumental. the three songs they've released so far are fantastic and the album is shaping up to be one of the most interesting of the year.

Edited by Scythey

So Disturbed's cover of The Sound of Silence is slowly eating away at my brain. It's gotten so bad I memorized the song by playing various covers of it for a couple hours. The song just managed to consume every single thought I had, owing to Draiman's impressive clean vocals.

Getting a bit fed up of my normal stuff though. Anyone have any suggestions for something fast-paced, with strong vocals (like those of Jørn Lande, for example)? Cba with too much screaming/groaning at the moment. Thanks in advance ;)

:tohu:

• Upvote 1

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

and most recently "Crater", featuring Björn Strid (Soilwork). in a year that has seen the release of an incredible new Soilwork album, a new Night Flight Orchestra album, and a Disarmonia Mundi album featuring him on 6 songs, I've gotta say, even as a guest appearance this is probably the single best vocal performance I've ever heard from Strid. he really pours everything into it.

I saw your post here and decided to listen to "Crater." If I had to describe it, I'd say it's grandiose and dream-like at the same time? It's intriguing. I really like it!

• Upvote 1

and most recently "Crater", featuring Björn Strid (Soilwork). in a year that has seen the release of an incredible new Soilwork album, a new Night Flight Orchestra album, and a Disarmonia Mundi album featuring him on 6 songs, I've gotta say, even as a guest appearance this is probably the single best vocal performance I've ever heard from Strid. he really pours everything into it.

I saw your post here and decided to listen to "Crater." If I had to describe it, I'd say it's grandiose and dream-like at the same time? It's intriguing. I really like it!

glad you like it! that's a pretty perfect way to describe it, and the band's music overall. check out the song "Mob Mentality", they've got a full symphony orchestra backing that track and it sounds absolutely massive. the music video for it is pretty cool too.

Edited by Scythey

Moonsorrow, Finntroll, and the first couple of Turisas albums are all excellent folk metal. Especially the Moonsorrow. Kivenkantaja is one of my favourite albums.

On another note, just listened to the new Tempel album, The Moon Lit Our Path. I highly recommend it to anyone into atmospheric sludge metal, a la Cult of Luna. It's an instrumental album with five tracks ranging in length from 8 to 12 minutes, and is filled with great atmosphere and fantastic riffs.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 1 month later...

I've listened to Electric Wizard before but never really got into them. as far as stoner metal in general goes, I dig High on Fire, Kylesa, and Baroness quite a lot, plus early Clutch could probably be put under that label. Sleep's Dopesmoker is pretty amazing too.

in news that only me and Evergrey_Toa will care about, The Unguided announced their new album Lust and Loathing will be released February 26. I'm iffy on the title - sounds more like something a scene kid electronicore band like Asking Alexandria would come up with - but the artwork is awesome as always and it's supposed to be the third (and final) part of their conceptual album trilogy, so hopefully it'll be good. the 9-song (not including bonus tracks) tracklist might indicate that the songs will be longer this time around, which also fits with some comments they've made about it being more of an epic and climactic album than past efforts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

was never a huge motorhead fan, but his influence is undeniable. Glad I did get to see him live before the end :(

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

• 2 weeks later...

not completely unexpected since they've been reunited for a couple years now, but Life of Agony have officially announced their first studio album in 11 years, A Place Where There's No More Pain.

the cover art sort of suggests a return to the River Runs Red style, which would be awesome, but I'll be happy even if it's more similar to Broken Valley.

• Upvote 1

The new Skold album, The Undoing, has finally gotten a new release date after being cancelled back in 2014, and will now come out on the 22nd of April, which I am very glad to hear. After it initially got cancelled I was beginning to get worried that there would be another 15 year break between albums, but thankfully that's not the case. I'm very excited to see what Tim will do with this album, and am greatly looking forward to the riffs and industrial goodness no doubt contained within.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 2 weeks later...

so I finally checked out Genexus by Fear Factory and I've got to say, it's way better than what I gave it credit for based on the singles. this might be one of my favorite Fear Factory albums to date, the extra dose of melody and catchiness really works for them. "Expiration Date" is especially incredible, really unlike anything they've ever done.

Edited by Scythey

so I finally checked out Genexus by Fear Factory and I've got to say, it's way better than what I gave it credit for based on the singles. this might be one of my favorite Fear Factory albums to date, the extra dose of melody and catchiness really works for them. "Expiration Date" is especially incredible, really unlike anything they've ever done.

Wait, really? I personally thought it was a little weak compared to some of their other stuff.

I mean, I guess it's okay, I just know they're definitely capable of doing better.

Edited by Bambi

the more I listen to it the more I like it. it's probably a close second behind Mechanized for Best Thing Since Obsolete for me.

it feels fresher and revitalized and not nearly as stale as The Industrialist. way more memorable songs, also better production, better vocals, better lyrics, better drums (AKA actual drums, period) and increased use of keyboard and melody which really works for it I think. brings back the Obsolete sound in a lot of ways.

Edited by Scythey

• 3 weeks later...

A little late, but Fear Factory have finally announced their tour dates~  They will be playing Demanufacture in it's entirety and some fan favorites (which pretty much means Martyr, Shock, Dielectric, and Soul Hacker, maybe What Will Become). Soilwork will also be joining them, and to top it off there's a possibility I might be able to catch a show in North Carolina. So very stoked.

Edited by Bambi