Happy 15th anniversary, 2007 story arc!

Lenny7092

Hi, guys. This year is Bionicle’s 2007 story arc’s 15th anniversary. It takes place between the 2006 and 2008 story arcs. It is basically underwater-themed, and it takes place in an underwater city called Mahri Nui, which had Matoran from Voya Nui. The story arc is where the 2006 story arc left off, where the Mask of Life sunk into the ocean. The main villains of the 2007 story arc, the Barraki, who are mutated warlords who are based on various sea creatures and Mahri Nui’s own Piraka, wanted to get the mask to undo their mutations, so they can take over the Matoran Universe. The Toa Inika came to Mahri Nui to find the mask. It transformed them into underwater versions of themselves called the Toa Mahri. They are the main protagonists. They fought the Barraki, their armies, and many other monsters. They also fought clone of a jailer named Hydraxon, who is actually a Matoran named Dekar being accidentally turned into that guy by the mask, and Makuta Teridax, who possessed a Maxilos robot. After the Toa got the mask, they destroyed the Cord between Mahri Nui and Voya Nui, so Voya Nui sunk down, destroying Mahri Nui along the way. Matoro was destined to use the Mask of Life to save Mata Nui’s life. After Voya Nui sunk, Mata Nui died. Matoro did not give up, as he wanted to revive Mata Nui, so he followed Voya Nui to its rightful place. That led him to a place called Karda Nui, where the mask wanted to be used. During the time, Matoro’s fellow Toa were fighting the Barraki to buy Matoro time, but the Barraki are overwhelming the Toa. Matoro wore the mask, and he used to to save his friends by teleporting them back to Metru Nui and making them breathe air again. Matoro did not come back with them, so he had to sacrifice himself to use the mask to revive Mata Nui. When he did it, the Matoran Universe is saved. Matoro is honored. Meanwhile, there had been some stuff happening. Lesovikk fogught Karzahni to save his friends. Makuta wanted to get the Nui Stone, but could not do it. Hydraxon captured all of the Barraki and Nocturn ans put them back to their prison, which was the Pit. The Toa Nuva were preparing for Mata Nui’s reawakening. When the Toa Nuva were done, they got special armor from Artakha and then got to Karda Nui to start their battle against the Brotherhood of Makuta, setting up the events of the 2008 story arc. 

In 2007, we got some interesting set canisters, guns, and 6 Titan sets. It was the last year to have play sets. It was kind of used to celebrate the 2002’s 5th anniversary when it featured the Bohrok. It was revealed that the Barraki inspired Makuta to make his plan to take over the Matoran Universe long ago. It is where we first met Makuta Icarax and we learned about the Red Star having people in there. It is also where online story serials first happened. We got three in the summer of 2007. It was where the Bionicle website drastically changed, as it introduced the Archived section, which contained the 2001-2006 online content. The Piraka, Axonn, and Brutaka showed up in the 2007 story arc a little. The Piraka were mutated into sea snakes. Axonn came to help the Toa Mahri a little. Brutaka got slightly mutated teamed up with the Barraki at first, but they betrayed him right away. He then reformed when he was fighting Makuta to protect Matoro. There is also a guidebook about some parts of the Matoran Universe, as it was narrated by four members of the Order of Mata Nui. In 2012, when Hero Factory’s 2012 story arc called Breakout happened, it has some elements similar to the 2007 story arc, basically the fact that villains break out and there is an underwater between a robotic hero and an escaped shark-like villain with two blades. Ninjago also seemed to have copied Bionicle’s 2007 story arc when it comes to breakouts and that underwater story arc in 2021. 

In the 2006 story arc’s Bionicle Legends chapter book called Inferno, the Mask fell into the ocean, a Matoran from Mahri Nui died after warning the Toa Mahri about his city being in danger, and Axonn leading the Toa into the Cord to get the mask. In Bionicle Heroes in 2006, there is a whirlpool near Voya Nui. In Voya Nui Online Game in 2006, the Mask of Life sunk into the ocean. All of those foreshadowed the 2007 story arc. 

I wrote this before: 10th anniversary. I experienced the 2007 story arc. It was good, but I wish Matoro could have lived, Dekar-Hydraxon could have changed back, and there could have been a 3-Titan-combiner set (like Kardas in 2006. I would imagine a giant Rahi monster with Gadunka’s head if that set had happened). They were sad. It is also sad that there was no console video game in 2007, not enough a sequel from Bionicle Heroes (if that happened, I would have loved to play as the Toa Mahri and fight the Barraki and their armies with Toa Nuva and Toa Hordika weapons). You think Gamora’s, Black Widow’s, and Iron Man’s deaths in Avengers: Infinity War in 2018 and Avengers: Endgame in 2019 were sad when it comes to sacrificing one to get the Soul Stone and sacrificing oneself to save the universe? Well, this is another. I also wish the fights between the Toa Mahri and Barraki could have been better. I also wish Lesovikk and his two Matoran friends could have helped the Toa with their fights. It would have been cool if the Piraka and Barraki had decided to join forces to fight the Toa Mahri. The 2007 story arc was notoriously known for the lime green joints, which can break easily. That is very annoying. Also, we got a few combo models. Two for all six Barraki, and one for two of the Barraki and two of the Toa Mahri. Wished there could have been more. I also wish there was a set for Brutaka’s mutated form, maybe also the Piraka’s mutated forms. 

So, guys, what are your fond memories of the storyline, what do you like about it, what’s your favorite 2007 set, favorite character(s) in 2007, favorite moment in the storyline, and/or how would you celebrate it? For me, well, my favorite sets are Kalmah, Ehlek, Nocturn, Jaller, Hahli, Kongu, Gadunka, Hydraxon, Maxilos and Spinax, and Karzahni, and my favorite characters are Jaller, Hahli, Matoro, Kalmah, Takadox, Pridak, Makuta, and Hydraxon. :)

• Like 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

On 3/22/2022 at 11:21 PM, Lenny7092 said:

This year is Bionicle’s 2007 story arc’s 15th anniversary. It takes place between the 2006 and 2008 story arcs.

1461803599_ScreenShot2022-03-25at10_18_37AM.png.859a13fd0a9815730889fdf33384f5a6.png

Same energy.

Actually in all seriousness I appreciated this post. I wasn't able to follow 2007 very well when it first came out.

• Like 2

GENERATION 4: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:21 AM, Lenny7092 said:

what do you like about it

The interesting and unique theme that we didn't had before in Bionicle, the story and especially the final with Matoro's sacrifice and that the canister sets are finally not clone sets anymore. 

what’s your favorite 2007 set

Toa: Jaller

Barraki: Takadox

Titian: Maxilos and Spinax (the only titian I have from 2007)

Matoran: Dekar

Don't own any of the playsets, based on looks I'd say the Toa Terrain Crawler

and/or how would you celebrate it?

I don't, just as I don't celebrate the anniversaries of Bionicle's other years. I don't even know how I would celebrate it.

2 minutes ago, Fyndegil said:

I wasn't able to follow 2007 very well when it first came out

Me too. And another reason why I don't celebrate it, as I don't have a great connection to it because I started with Bionicle later.

Hahli Mahri and Matoro Mahri were fantastic. 

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.