Shadow Leech Prototypes

Aiden

Recently I acquired two yellow prototype Shadow Leeches. 

I'd like to find as much information about prototype Shadow Leeches as possible. I've made some observations, but that's really as far as I've gotten, as there isn't a lot of information available on them. Attached I have a picture of my proto leeches, as I only want to post images that are mine.

Firstly, there are two kinds of proto leeches from what I've seen. There are the ones I have, that are essentially the final product. The only difference is that they come in unreleased colors, which include translucent yellow, blue, red, and orange, with varying amounts of red speckling throughout them all. Then there is what I think is an earlier version, that includes a prototype Tridax Pod. The Tridax Pod is an opaque orange, with a veinier detailing. As far as the actual leeches here go, there are versions of what looks to be the final mold in opaque orange, but more interestingly, there are opaque light blue ones that have a completely different design, and look more like a hard plastic than rubber. Feel free to post images of these if anybody has/finds any.
Secondly, which this is pretty much "ooh these are kind of similar", I noticed that the Shadow Leeches are extremely similar to squid ammo. When including the prototypes, there are light blue, turquoise, yellow, orange, and red leeches. The squid ammo come in light blue, turquoise, yellow, and orange, which is very close to an identical color palette (as long as we don't take the red speckling in the proto leeches into account). Moving on from the color similarities, the pieces themselves are similar (bar the squid's tails, but we'll get to that). They both have circular heads with large teeth. As far as the tails go, there is an image in the Shadow Leeches page in the Villains Wiki that shows the leeches with tails, very similar to the squid, and looks to be about the same size overall with very similar features. I'm unsure if the picture they show is official or not, though.

That pretty much wraps up all I know/have observed, I would love to hear any information regarding these as they are very special to me and I am looking to someday have a full set of the prototype colors (so speaking of, if you have any, hit my DM's). Thank you for reading all this and I look forward to seeing any information you all may have to provide!

Edited by Tohunga Premium

2 hours ago, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

How exactly did you get those? Was it from one of the prototype piece lucky draw events that the BZPower staff sometimes decide to create?

I won't go into details but long story short from a Binkmeister bag

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Decided to go ahead and take them out for a picture! The first two tridax pods top left are prototype, the rest are normal. On the first row of leeches (from left to right) we have the printed, the orange test molds, and the yellow Binkmeisters. On the second row are the sparkly ones, in order by gradient. And in the bag I have all the extra sparkly ones that I plan to give out at conventions/trade!

On 1/24/2023 at 6:14 PM, confused piraka said:

how did you get these?

The yellow ones I acquired from a Binkmeister bag, the rest of these I purchased somewhat recently from a former employee. I’m talking to someone right now about getting some colors I don’t yet have, which is exciting! These (and other prototypes) are very difficult to find, but good luck if you decide to go looking for any (and hit me up if you get any proto leeches haha)!

35 minutes ago, The Archivist said:

This is an amazing collection and I appreciate the pictures/info for my archives. Basically zero info on these online. 

I appreciate it :) the leeches are my bread and butter haha! I’d be happy to provide any information I have. I’ve got a few more pictures of these on my Instagram as well. I’m talking to someone who has a couple that haven’t been publicly shared online, hopefully things work out and I’ll be able to share them as a part of my collection soon!

24 minutes ago, confused piraka said:

I have no protos or rare masks 😪 how can I get some?

“Rare masks” I would assume you’re talking about stuff like the PGK, PGI, or the euro “misprint” masks. Those are pretty easy to find for the most part, they just tend to be expensive. Prototypes are almost impossible to find nowadays, you’ve got to have connections or be in the right place at the right time. Takes a lot of patience!

2 hours ago, confused piraka said:

I have no protos or rare masks 😪 how can I get some?

I would echo what Tohunga Premium said: besides the more common misprint stuff, prototypes are rather difficult to come by. Granted - you can find some prototype parts out on the market. I've seen McToran feet a few times, but they're usually pricey or other people looking for other prototypes. I have a few that are prototype colorations for finalized parts, but I won those years ago in a BZP contest.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

4 hours ago, Tohunga Premium said:

Any chance any of them are leeches? 😅

Nothing that cool, unfortunately! If I recall correctly: Strakk helmet (Pearl Gold / Gunmetal), Upper Hordika arm piece (Grayish-White / Green), Gresh blade (Pearl Silver / Gunmetal), and a Zamor Sphere (sort of a dark metallic green).

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

36 minutes ago, T.B.O.C said:

Nothing that cool, unfortunately! If I recall correctly: Strakk helmet (Pearl Gold / Gunmetal), Upper Hordika arm piece (Grayish-White / Green), Gresh blade (Pearl Silver / Gunmetal), and a Zamor Sphere (sort of a dark metallic green).

I’d love to see a picture! And I’m always looking for more prototypes, so if you’re ever looking to part with them either via sale or trade, hit me up! I think most people would consider the stuff you have cooler than the leeches though, there doesn’t seem to be any demand for the leeches outside of myself haha.

21 minutes ago, confused piraka said:

@tohunga premium have you added your leeches to the prototypes page?

The official collectibles topic? The yellow ones are already mentioned in the Binkmeisters section, I’m not sure if the other ones were posted there by the original owner or not. If I get the time I’ll look through and check!

18 minutes ago, confused piraka said:

I might do it for you

It would make more sense to find the original images and ask permission from the photographer before posting said images on an informational site on their behalf. There’s still several colors I’m missing and wouldn’t make sense to upload a picture to bs01 that doesn’t show them all (in my opinion)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got my package in, and voila! Every prototype shadow leech. Just waiting on a package to arrive containing the four official leech colors (two blue and two green, one bright and one dull) and a darker and duller blue one, which I believe to be a misprint. Once I get those in it’s a wrap! (Unless you have the prototype Vamprah model, which includes a trans yellow tridax pod… hit me up if you’ve got that set!!)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Max_Nui said:

We REALLY need our own Bionicle website to post all information on prototypes. If we don't document this stuff it'll get lost.

We’ve got the “Official Rare & Collectibles” topic over in buy sell trade!

• 2 weeks later...

Last leeches came in (with a blue metal battle droid!). So now it’s a complete collection, with row 3 filled out (official release leeches). Obviously hit me up if you have any, I’m looking for extras to moc with and to potentially give away at Brickfair.

• Like 1