My G1/G2 Connection Theory

I have heard many different theories involving G1 and G2 being connected ranging from G2 being a training simulator to Mask of Time shenanigans. However I have come up with a theory that I believe fits the canon of both Generations perfectly: They are just parallel universes in the same multiverse. Nothing too complicated and it doesnt rule out the possibility that G1 and G2 characters could hypothetically interact in a lore friendly way.

22 hours ago, Alexander123 said:

They are just parallel universes in the same multiverse.

Alternate universes, as established in G1, follow a Constants and Variables rule where they always have more in common than they have differences, with those differences always stemming from different, history-changing decisions that certain characters made. G2 has barely nothing in common with G1 at all, besides reusing some names and ideas. The entire worldbuilding is completely different from the ground up, especially since it relies on true magic instead of advanced technology, for starters. There's no Spherus Magna, no Great Beings, no GSR. It can't be a parallel universe if there's hardly no parallels. 

Edited by Lorentz

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

2 hours ago, Lorentz said:

That's barely a "theory." Also, alternate universes, as established in G1, still follow a Constants and Variables rule where they always have more in common than they have differences, with those differences always stemming from different, history-changing decisions that certain characters made. G2 has barely nothing in common with G1 at all, besides reusing some names and ideas. The entire worldbuilding is completely different from the ground up, especially since it relies on true magic instead of advanced technology, for starters. There's no Spherus Magna, no Great Beings, no GSR. It can't be a parallel universe if there's hardly no parallels. 

It could be a pocket dimension. The City of Silver showed that pocket dimensions could contain civilizations.

21 hours ago, Alexander123 said:

It could be a pocket dimension. The City of Silver showed that pocket dimensions could contain civilizations.

Pocket Dimensions were all created for a certain reason, though. Like the Field of Shadows to contain Zivon or the Makuta Hive in Karda Nui. So if it's all contained in a pocket dimension, who made it and why?

More importantly, what is the purpose of trying to connect G1 and G2? I don't see how it would benefit either of the continuities.

Edited by Lorentz

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

4 hours ago, Lorentz said:

Pocket Dimensions were all created for a certain reason, though. Like the Field of Shadows to contain Zivon or the Makuta Hive in Karda Nui. So if it's all contained in a pocket dimension, who made it and why?

More importantly, what is the purpose of trying to connect G1 and G2? I don't see how it would benefit either of the continuities.

I just think its interesting to see if the two continuities can be combined in a way that doesn't absolutely break canon.

I honestly have no idea who would create it. Maybe some bored Makuta or Order of Mata Nui member who decided to play god? I also headcanon the Field of Shadows and the Shadow Realm as being the same place.

12 hours ago, Alexander123 said:

I also headcanon the Field of Shadows and the Shadow Realm as being the same place.

what Shadow Realm

On 6/6/2022 at 1:44 PM, Alexander123 said:

I have heard many different theories involving G1 and G2 being connected ranging from G2 being a training simulator to Mask of Time shenanigans. However I have come up with a theory that I believe fits the canon of both Generations perfectly: They are just parallel universes in the same multiverse. Nothing too complicated and it doesnt rule out the possibility that G1 and G2 characters could hypothetically interact in a lore friendly way.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:35 PM, Lorentz said:

Alternate universes, as established in G1, follow a Constants and Variables rule where they always have more in common than they have differences, with those differences always stemming from different, history-changing decisions that certain characters made. G2 has barely nothing in common with G1 at all, besides reusing some names and ideas. The entire worldbuilding is completely different from the ground up, especially since it relies on true magic instead of advanced technology, for starters. There's no Spherus Magna, no Great Beings, no GSR. It can't be a parallel universe if there's hardly no parallels. 

I, too. do not see the need to connect both canon. However, I like to play the devil's advocate.

You are right about every universes of the multiverse we visited so far in G1 have more in common than they have differences. However, the multiverse maybe a vast network of hundreds, if not thousands of alternatives universes. We also agree that these universed are mainly ''What-if'' universes based on characters decisions or historical changes. The universes we visited during G1 are implied that the triggering event for these different universes happenend within the last 100 000 years (after the shattering).

Let's pretend for a minute there that the trigger event that created the G2 universe happened WAY before the Shatteting. Perhaps, even before the Great Beings came into existence (as it is implied that the Agori / Glatorian specie existed prior to the Great Beings arrival). We know very little about the origins of the Great Beings and even less about the origins of the Agori and Glatorians, but we can assume these have more in common with the Okotans, who also biologically reproduce, than with the matorans. Now, what if the names of the six Toa initially originated from Agori legends prior to the Great Beings arrival? Now, what if the triggering event of the G2 branch is none other the the absence of the Great Beings (they for some reason never came into being or never came to Spherus Magna, resulting in no protodermis mining, no war, a different culture all together, with it's own evolution and tech) creating during the course of thousands of years, the society we meet on Okoto, which might be just one island in the middle of an ocean in Spherus Magna (it's never implied that Okoto is the sole place existing on that planet, and it's not mentionned either on what planet it is located). It is very possible that Okoto exist in a very different Spherus Magna that never suffered from the stigmas of g1's spherus magna.

It is a lot of speculation, but it's just to say that G2 doesn't necessarely break the branching logic of G1'S multiverse if we look deep enough.

Edited by Starset

The wording of the Prophecy in Gen 2 would loosely suggest that it's set in the same continuity as Gen 1, but at a very different point in time: "Evoke the power of past and future, and look to the skies for an answer. When the stars align, six comets will bring timeless heroes to claim the Masks of Power and find the Mask Maker."

Combine that with the fact that the Gen 2 Mask Of Time is said to be "older than the world of Okoto and the stars in its sky", and I feel like the safest explanation to tie the two together is to say that Gen 2 is the super far off future of Gen 1, with Masks Of Power and the art of making them, the legends of the Toa, etc. being relics of that bygone age.

• Like 2

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

20 hours ago, Starset said:

Let's pretend for a minute there that the trigger event that created the G2 universe happened WAY before the Shatteting. Perhaps, even before the Great Beings came into existence

I knew someone was going to bring this up, but if the split in the universes predates the Great Beings, then it basically predates "Bionicle" and essentially doesn't count as an alternate universe. It's just a totally different universe at that point.

Looks like someone just saw the new Doctor Strange.

I still can't fathom what could possibly be gained by linking the two generations up. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses (some leaning more on one side or the other) that don't really create a ton of possibilities justifying it. When there are hundreds of different realities, it just opens up a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened and makes it more difficult to invest in what's going on, as well as destroying any sense of scale. Some properties (Back to the Future, MCU) can mostly pull it off, but they're created with it in mind.

Yes, they share some names and tropes, like the Mask of Time. That's for us, the fans, as fun easter eggs. It saps all the energy out of it to try to create some convoluted way they're secretly one timeline.

• Like 2

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

On 6/15/2022 at 1:40 AM, Master Inika said:

Looks like someone just saw the new Doctor Strange.

I still can't fathom what could possibly be gained by linking the two generations up. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses (some leaning more on one side or the other) that don't really create a ton of possibilities justifying it. When there are hundreds of different realities, it just opens up a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened and makes it more difficult to invest in what's going on, as well as destroying any sense of scale. Some properties (Back to the Future, MCU) can mostly pull it off, but they're created with it in mind.

Yes, they share some names and tropes, like the Mask of Time. That's for us, the fans, as fun easter eggs. It saps all the energy out of it to try to create some convoluted way they're secretly one timeline.

I am not really trying to have them be in one convoluted timeline, that just ruins everything. I just think having G2 be a parallel reality to G1 would be a nice nod, no big connection or anything being set in the future, just that they exist in the same multiverse. 

2 hours ago, Alexander123 said:

I am not really trying to have them be in one convoluted timeline, that just ruins everything. I just think having G2 be a parallel reality to G1 would be a nice nod, no big connection or anything being set in the future, just that they exist in the same multiverse. 

“A nice nod,” to what exactly? What’s the purpose of them being connected in some way if none of the characters involved interact or know of each other (which I reiterate is not necessary). At this point, them being in the same multiverse doesn’t really mean anything more than either being in the same multiverse as our reality would mean.

I can appreciate the attempt to connect them without involving their stories, but the multiverse is itself a fictional concept (or at least a scientific concept so far removed the public only learns about it through fiction). Each multiverse story (including G1) has its own rules, so having two storylines being within the same multiverse is, inherently, tying them together in a needless way.

(For the record, I think almost all multiverse stories that aren’t specifically written to feature alternate realities from the start shouldn’t.)

The stuff like the Mask of Time and the shared names is, in and of itself, the nod to the fans. This thing from when we were kids has a new and modified meaning for new kids. That’s the reference, and it shouldn’t mean anything in-universe.

• Like 2

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2022 at 5:29 AM, Taria Pakari said:

Clearly the real connection is with Yu-Gi-Oh and not G1.

As for connections between the two settings, remember this from the official story bible:
image.png.afebf232f7f26bd1d47d4227a3c660a7.png

So the main true canon aspect is that the G2 Mask of Time is the upper half of the G1 Mask of Time. So the connection certainly exists, but how it does is up to your imagination.  One more vague connection exists, the next page of the story bible confirms the Great Beings exist in G2 as well:
image.png.18f4a5c981d6cca073121b75d6c500e7.png

Unfortunately we do not know more about the Great Beings, that is their one and only mention in G2's story bible. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!