Possible Reference to 2001 Misprint Kanohi Masks

chuckschwa

March 2001 AU issue of LEGO World Club Magazine
LEGO World Club Magazine (AU) – March 2001 : LEGO World Club : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

On pages 12-13 we get images and descriptions of the new Bionicle Toa, as well as some information on collectible masks.
Book page imageBook page image

Notice the masks that are included here. Each of the Toa's respective masks are shown, as well as a ghostly Matatu and Ruru. It's strange that these specifically are included here, and not depictions of the other 4 noble masks. Both the Matatu and Ruru were found to have "misprint" colors in EU mask packs. They were the only noble masks to also have Toa colors, rather than just Turaga colors, in the mask packs. Was the magazine publisher aware of this, and is this the reason these 2 masks are included in the line-up?

It's also important to note the information at the bottom of page 12.

Each of the Toa has to collect six Great Masks of Power to succeed. There are 72 masks in all. Twelve in six colors.

While there was some debate across multiple Bionicle media as to whether or not the Toa had to collect 6 noble masks, we know that they collected the 6 great masks. There were indeed 72 masks available in the mask packs: 36 great masks (six masks in six colors) and 36 noble masks (six other masks in six other colors). However, the writer then states there are 12 masks in 6 colors. This could be an oversight/typo, but it seems to imply that the 72 masks were initially both the noble and great masks in only 6 colors, presumably the Toa's colors.

However, the last line:

And look out for the rare ones

This could refer to a number of things. It could reference the ultra rare gold contest masks, the rare promo masks, the infected Hau (which, despite not being counted among the 72 masks in the mask packs, was indeed included), or the EU misprints (Matatu, Ruru, and possibly the Kaukau).

What do you think?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

They were also pictured here, minus the brown Matatu which is replaced by a light grey one:

1-masks2

Then of course there was the white Huna and brown Komau. I'd say it's a good bet that at some point the plan was to produce the noble masks in the six classic colours. This was probably an instance of two or more parts of the Bionicle team (product designers, story team, and factory, I would guess) not communicating, resulting in a short run of noble masks being produced in Toa colours and getting changed to the lighter colours at the last minute.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Chronicler06 said:

I always assumed that "?" mask was supposed to be the Vahi, before it became widely available.

I mean it is a photo of the Vahi used with it. Not to mention I think infected Hau's maybe came in mask packs as well. 

But as MartinCollects says, it seems weird to think Lego just let a production line run producing 12 different mask varieties with two molds and six colors on "accident." I suspect there was likely plans for all the Noble masks to be included in the primary Toa colors, but a late production decision made them switch to the noble masks being the Turaga colors instead, so rather than toss out what was made already they just dumped them into mask packs as a surprise. As for the Kaukau "misprints" that is harder to guess what happened there. 

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!