Bionicle Heroes: Myths of Voya Nui 2.2 Release!

Toa_Kralich

Bionicle Heroes: Myths of Voya Nui 2.2 Release!

Bionicle Heroes: Myths of Voya Nui 2.2

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I released an update for MOVN. Nothing bad happened - in fact, fully custom models have started being possible within Bionicle Heroes! I had originally planned to hold off on updating MOVN until such a time that I could do a gigantic update with lots of custom stuff, but I decided there's enough small things to improve before then before I moved the version number up to 3.0 for the custom model work that, in the mean time, I could fix things up further. A few bugs have also finally been troubleshooted which causes issues for many players (but not all, which was the annoying part), and so I decided this stopgap update would be worth releasing. Download the update here!

Visuals

Today's visual improvements also entail consistency improvements like last time, plus a few improved unlock icons to join the roster from one of the 1.0 releases!

-Vezok, Thok, Zaktan, Vezon, and Avak have all had their low-res player weapon equivalents made consistent with high-res models - much as was done in 2.1, low-res Piraka weapon models have now been made more consistent with their high-res equivalents, whether I modified the original high-res model or not. This actually was done because the lack of low-res models in the game was causing the very common crash some users encountered which I'll describe later on.

-Improved textures on a few unlock mask images - Vakama's Huna, the Copper Komau, and the Copper Huna. I didn't feel these were properly coloured before - Vakama's Huna was bright yellow, and the two copper masks were basically just red.

-Made the unlock archives consistent with the unlock mask images - A very simple additional change facilitating the improved images in this update so they appear in the preview area.

Examples:

Gameplay

The gameplay change today is very simple, but represents the third objective bug fixed from the base game:

-Fixed boss Thok using the wrong zamor bullet type from the base game - there is an unused bullet type in the base game for player zamors which Thok was using erroneously - the only Piraka to be using this unused Zamor type. Now, it is consistent with the other Piraka for more predictable gameplay.

Levels

The level change is also quite simple, making good on a change in a much earlier release of MOVN.

-Further amended Axonn gold mode values - Some felt Axonn's gold mode triggers were still too low and easy to hit, so I've moved them all up a bit to make them a little better balanced.

Misc

One big fix features in today's misc section - hopefully putting to rest the most pervasive and disruptive bug in MOVN since its inception!

-Fixed bug with low-res Piraka player weapon models causing consistent crashes on unlock screen - MOVN previously did not ship with low-res Piraka weapon models. At the time I hadn't yet decided to make low-res models consistent for content quality reasons and assumed most people would be playing in the high-res mode anyway. Most people do by choice, but there is a bug when installing the game sometimes which means graphical settings are incorrect, leading to a weird mish-mash in low res and high res assets. Because low res Piraka weapon models were not included, this caused a crash when you first unlock a playable Piraka. Implementing the low-res Piraka player weapons in the game fixes the crash, but additional steps are required to fix the base-game issue of mish-mashed weapon qualities showing.

1. Launch your save and stay in the Matoran Enclave.
2. After, go to OPTIONS in the pause screen and go to VIDEO OPTIONS.
3. At this moment, you may have another bug involving negative gamma If it's the case, adjust the brightness to 5, and the gamma to 5 as well.
4. Then, adjust the resolution to 1.024 * 768, the shader quality to 3.0, the texture quality to High, and the widescreen to OFF ( if it's not the case )
5. After that, restart the game
6. Launch your save again and weapon models should now be high resolution variants.

Special thanks to DarkPineApple for helping to troubleshoot this error and then writing up instructions on how to fix it.

Conclusion

And that's all for this newest update! I recently found a ripping tool called MelonRipper which can extract content from DS games, and this might allow for some interesting additions to DV! Custom models will massively expand DV's scope already in the future, but until those are more feasible to implement, I'm planning to change some world textures to the ones used in the DS release of Heroes which will make some levels look quite different, so stay tuned for that! To see more progress on modding, check out the modding Discord here. Thanks and see you soon!

• Like 2