Do you still have your Bionicle sets?

Raph

As i'm getting older, i cannot help but think, that i need to do something with my Bionicle. But i wonder, do any of you guys still have your Bionicle sets? I'm asking because im getting 30 soon, and i feel little bit of discomfort, cuz i chouldn't keep 7+ sets. Especially because i have only 5 Toa Mata sets and thier canisters, Makuta titan form, and Titan Mata Nui. I don't think they would be interested to anyone since they are all in used condition. That brings little shame on me, because i'm 30 years old, and still have Bionicle sets.

Not all of them. I sold a lot of my collection while I was at university, several years ago now, because I wasn't using them and wanted to free up space in my room. While there are a few that I do wish, in hindsight, I hadn't been quite so hasty to get rid of, for the most part I don't regret it; I'd rather them having gone to people who enjoyed them rather than just sitting around in a box never getting looked at like most of them would have if I'd kept them.

Even then, though, I still kept my old favourites: the classic Toa, the Mask of Light protagonist sets, several Matoran, Muaka & Kane-Ra, and a couple of others - and I'm happy with my decision to do so. They were a big part of my childhood, and I'd feel like I was losing a little something of myself it I let go of those last few. I don't do much with them, but I have some of them on display, and the rest stored away for days when I feel particularly nostalgic.

For context, I'm 30, as well. I don't think that you need to feel embarrassed or ashamed for keeping them around, if that's what you want to do; if you still enjoy them, even if that is just on a nostalgic level, then you're not 'too old' for them, in my book.

That said, I'm pretty sure you could get something for your sets on eBay if you do decide to go that route. Bionicle stuff seems to command high prices there these days, even when used... certainly higher than they were when I sold mine back then!

• Like 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

@Raph

It depends on who you are, what you do with your time, and what's of value to you. Me, I'm nearing thirty and collect toys. I photograph them, customize them, sometimes do short stop motions... they're one of my happy places. So I still have all of my old Bionicles. In fact I'm just now weeding through them, because I don't need those extra Bohrok I picked up in a thrift store lot, or the Toa Hordika I wasn't into, but got in an Ebay parts bag. I found a local Lego shop in a town about two hours away that will undoubtedly underpay me only to overcharge someone else, but I don't mind because: Small business + Getting it into the hands of someone who will love it + No online fees and shipping = Win-win.

However if you no longer feel the need to hold onto your Bionicles and don't want to donate them to a thrift store, you could try selling them on a site like Bricklink? Titan Mata Nui and Makuta fetch pretty good prices, I think, and playwear is to be expected.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Did you know that insanity is contagious? I've been spreading it for years!

All hail Makuta Teridax that creepy guy to my right,Master of Shadows.

2 hours ago, Sidrohan said:

@Raph

It depends on who you are, what you do with your time, and what's of value to you. Me, I'm nearing thirty and collect toys. I photograph them, customize them, sometimes do short stop motions... they're one of my happy places. So I still have all of my old Bionicles. In fact I'm just now weeding through them, because I don't need those extra Bohrok I picked up in a thrift store lot, or the Toa Hordika I wasn't into, but got in an Ebay parts bag. I found a local Lego shop in a town about two hours away that will undoubtedly underpay me only to overcharge someone else, but I don't mind because: Small business + Getting it into the hands of someone who will love it + No online fees and shipping = Win-win.

However if you no longer feel the need to hold onto your Bionicles and don't want to donate them to a thrift store, you could try selling them on a site like Bricklink? Titan Mata Nui and Makuta fetch pretty good prices, I think, and playwear is to be expected.

Good luck with your thing)). I guess i can try to sell them. I dont know any thrift stores in my city, but i see what i can do.  But i'll keep at least Kopaka, because he is my first Bionicle. Thank you. It gets me little comfortable.

16 hours ago, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

Not all of them. I sold a lot of my collection while I was at university, several years ago now, because I wasn't using them and wanted to free up space in my room. While there are a few that I do wish, in hindsight, I hadn't been quite so hasty to get rid of, for the most part I don't regret it; I'd rather them having gone to people who enjoyed them rather than just sitting around in a box never getting looked at like most of them would have if I'd kept them.

Even then, though, I still kept my old favourites: the classic Toa, the Mask of Light protagonist sets, several Matoran, Muaka & Kane-Ra, and a couple of others - and I'm happy with my decision to do so. They were a big part of my childhood, and I'd feel like I was losing a little something of myself it I let go of those last few. I don't do much with them, but I have some of them on display, and the rest stored away for days when I feel particularly nostalgic.

For context, I'm 30, as well. I don't think that you need to feel embarrassed or ashamed for keeping them around, if that's what you want to do; if you still enjoy them, even if that is just on a nostalgic level, then you're not 'too old' for them, in my book.

That said, I'm pretty sure you could get something for your sets on eBay if you do decide to go that route. Bionicle stuff seems to command high prices there these days, even when used... certainly higher than they were when I sold mine back then!

Thanks. I will tell you most barbaric thing ever said on this forum)))) I had 2004 Toa Vakama and Onewa, Turaga Vakama, Gahlok, Takanuva 2008, Takanuva 2010, Avak, Dekar, Defilak, Ehlek, Gaaki, Malum, Mata Nui. Out of these Vakama Oneva Vakama, Gahlok, and Malum were given away without my knowledge year ago, and my Avak, Ehlek and Mata Nui, Takanuva 2010, and Takanuva 2008 sets fell apart because of 2006-2009 joint socket quality.........i had to trow them away back in 2017 mainly because they were not worth anything, and i did not want to waste time to sell them. Now i feel little bit of regret, but hey, what's done is done. I keep my Bionicle remaining sets mostly for nostalgia. They are nostalgic for me too. And i feel pretty much same as you do, they were part of my childhood. Especially my Kopaka. He is my first toa. I see what i do with them.

I left most of mine at my parents' house when I moved out, and I'll still occasionally play with them for old times' sake when I visit, especially when younger cousins are around. I brought all my sets from 2001-2003 along with me though, that's the era that I decided I'm going to try to collect and display.

• Like 1

I really need a better signature.

I’m 26, I still own and enjoy all of mine (200+). I don’t plan on ever selling them.

Do what makes you happy. If you have other things in your life that make you more happy, focus on those. If looking at your bonkles and holding them in your hands makes you happy, do that.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I'm 30, and I have almost all of my old collection still (and now more besides)!

I still tinker with them, build a moc or two and then tear those apart and build the original characters again, but mostly I'm saving my collection for my son when he's old enough. I have all of the comics and books as well which I'm planning on sharing with him as well, so I'm totally okay with keeping my collection to pass on to him. :)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

5 hours ago, TERIDAX941 said:

I'm 30, and I have almost all of my old collection still (and now more besides)!

I still tinker with them, build a moc or two and then tear those apart and build the original characters again, but mostly I'm saving my collection for my son when he's old enough. I have all of the comics and books as well which I'm planning on sharing with him as well, so I'm totally okay with keeping my collection to pass on to him. :)

I was thinking same thing. Save them for my children.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Enjoying a hobby or having some "kids toys" is nothing to be ashamed of! If you ever have kids they'd be perfect to pass down to them. I don't have any of my two original Bionicles I had as a kid, they were tossed, but I've been collecting a lot recently!

Edited by Tohunga Premium
  • Like 1

I started collecting in 2015, I sold almost all of my G2 that was still intact and a good portion of my G1, but I have the important stuff like a sealed ehlek still(I'm gonna open him in november.)

Bazinga! I've been a Bionicle Fan since early 2015 and have been aware of it since 2008. Was a bit late to the party due to my age, but that doesn't matter now. Looking for krana and sealed G1 sets at below market value if possible, (otherwise it'll be a few years before I care to collect sets I don't care as much about) Bohrok Kal and Krana Kal Mask Pack sets are ones I am particularly looking for atm.

I go by Nektann or Marcato usually online.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep mine. Been collecting since 2001, with periods of downtime. More recently I've been back into completing my collection, and it's been both fun and uh... interesting, to see how the market has shifted post-COVID and as BIONICLE becomes a nostalgic thing for those with disposable income. Certainly having to get used to the prices things command now. Far cry from BST 15+ years back. No plans on selling them, but storage does become a factor. It doesn't help that I collect other things as well!

I don't think I have more of a distinct sentiment than other people have expressed - but I would say there's no shame in owning something you enjoy. The mindset to feel ashamed of it is definitely pervasive, but toy collecting has definitely become far more normalized nowadays than it used to be. I think you would find (and may have seen from posts here) that most people here are adults who collect. I find people who are excessively judgemental of other people's harmless hobbies tend to be oddly insecure themselves, and project. I personally always think its fun for people to have hobbies they're passionate about - and you'd be surprised how many people feel the same way.

I feel like Marie Kondo's advice often gets thrown around poorly - but if it sparks joy, no harm in keeping it. Selling is an option too, if you think other people might enjoy them more. Particularly that titan Mata Nui. It might currently be the most expensive BIONICLE set in the secondary market? My philosophy with selling is that it's nice to sell to people who also want to enjoy it. However, I really don't sell, so not my forte.

• Like 1

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!