The Printed Parts Spectacular!

Tufi Piyufi

The Printed Parts Spectacular!

The rise of 3D printing has been a boon to Bionicle fans. It might have some other uses, but it's been revolutionary for bringing masks, weapons, and other cool parts to life. You want some accessories straight out of the MNOLG? How about movie accurate limbs? I bet you'd be down for a replica of a prototype mask...

And while you could display these fan creations on their own, there's plenty of fun to be had using them in MOCs. Just ask anyone who's built a MOC with printed parts! In fact, I'll make it super easy to do that.

Our mission this month is to highlight 3D-printed parts and the MOCs using them. This isn't a contest, but a showcase. Post your MOC(s) that have 3D-printed parts in this topic! It doesn't matter how old they are. If you posted a topic for it, go ahead and link it; there's no revival for anything shared in this showcase. We're on a mission to look at the cool things you're doing or have already done, and no way are you getting punished for being ahead of the curve.

For extra motivation, one lucky participant will get a $25 USD Shapeways gift card! They'll be chosen at random, and it's one entry per person posting MOCs. You can post as many as you like, you just get the one shot at the card.

"But Tufi!" you say. "By giving out a gift card to people who already own 3D-printed pieces, you aren't increasing the number of people who can participate in this area of fandom!" You're right, of course. That's why we're running a raffle for another $25 USD Shapeways gift card, free for anyone to enter!

Posting runs from now until Saturday, December 31st at 11:59 PM Eastern. Now let's see some MOCs!

• Like 4
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

Presenting Tivni, Toa of Plasma. She's one of many characters who'll be debuting in a major fanfic project I'm currently writing (coming out sometime next year). 

She includes a number of 3D-printed parts, including the forearms, weapons, and head. I also printed the Visorak feet that are used for her shin armour, as my Oohnorak feet were in use in another build and printing more worked out cheaper and quicker than Bricklinking them. 

Tivni (1).JPG

Tivni (2).JPG

• Like 5

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

This is my orange beetle kaiju, that I sent to the 2022 Convention Circuit. My creation contains 20 custom parts. 15 of his parts are printed in orange ABS filament the other three parts; his mask and ankle caps are printed in PLA+ gold silk filament. He has two special parts made to hold 3 ball sockets; these are in PLA+ Black. I spent 2 weeks on creating my own 3d models and 2 days printing and cleaning the parts that I created.

20220420_113501.thumb.jpg.28d9f31bb5b8751ee479f2a3c4c83738.jpgBeetle.thumb.png.b6c93485041fe1078d89254a168acb9c.png

Mecha Gamera is another MoC that I sent to the 2022 Convention Circuit. This one only has 3 printed parts and they are made out of Platinum Silk PLA+. This is one of my more complex designs because of all the fitting it utilizes to hold him together.

20220420_113732.thumb.jpg.55918d192b0d5fd02c448079c391a54b.jpgGParts.thumb.png.ea0fa8fc0e871b82182d71f00bf11833.png

• Like 3

I unfortunately don't have any 3D printed parts to participate, but I just wanted to say this is an awesome idea for a contest! The 3D prints have brought a lot of fresh material to Bionicle, and the above MoCs are great examples of that. The intricate design on that orange chestplate is really cool, tourmalinex.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2022 at 9:46 PM, Nato G said:

Presenting Tivni, Toa of Plasma. She's one of many characters who'll be debuting in a major fanfic project I'm currently writing (coming out sometime next year). 

She includes a number of 3D-printed parts, including the forearms, weapons, and head. I also printed the Visorak feet that are used for her shin armour, as my Oohnorak feet were in use in another build and printing more worked out cheaper and quicker than Bricklinking them. 

Tivni (1).JPG

Tivni (2).JPG

Honestly those weapon sick looking. Also didn't notice the custom metru head initially but dang is it nice to see folks 3d-printing heads.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

This has been a project I've been working on and off throughout the year, its a Miramax style Toa Tahu! 

20221229_170247.thumb.jpg.b63ca3c59d2d3f3075c9ada58ad7b5d1.jpg20221231_151628.thumb.jpg.bfb6b3763c38a11bcab640618f829e3c.jpg

I designed each piece to fit onto the CCBS system. Each piece was designed by me in Blender, and printed on my Voron 2.4, red parts printed in KVP Red fluorescent ABS, silver parts printed with overture silver ABS, the back panel was sanded and painted silver with acrylics. (His left hand broke when posing so I put a black socket in place, please forgive the discrepancy)

20221229_165401.thumb.jpg.e97ea7d2222a2f29a3556ec23aea5ad1.jpg20221229_165417.thumb.jpg.283f3822ef128f91bf5756bede4b3eeb.jpg

I had made a custom head design that slides onto a black socket piece, and it features a movable jaw to emulate the films. I also have designed alternative mouth pieces to allow him to smile and have a neutral look. (Not pictured)

20221229_165315.thumb.jpg.40c8277aa9a7562193b58187a5a7ab94.jpg

I still have to design the eye pieces to have proper passthrough, design the hands, and maybe even custom weapons, but as of right now this is where this project is at! 

• Like 5

Dang I'm old.

Check out my other stuff on Insta: KACosplayTech 

I unfortunately haven't made many mocs that go beyond using custom masks, but I suddenly remembered I did have one that used probably the first 3d-printed piece I ever purchased. The chest piece was made by Cezium, GiTD Akaku was made by Socketball, the GiTD protector mask and purple eye-socket were done by Ziontryo.

My main goal with this moc was just to use the Akaku, but it evolved from there. Saw the GiTD as a sort of radioactive glow hence why I included the sickly green shell pieces.

The purple is just there given the Akaku had purple lenses.

2022-12-31_05-13-56.jpg

2022-12-31_05-14-12.jpg

2022-12-31_05-14-40.jpg

• Like 1

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

13 hours ago, Voxumo said:

Also didn't notice the custom metru head initially but dang is it nice to see folks 3d-printing heads.

Heads, hands, or anything else with a socket are definitely harder to do. Most standard materials will snap or shatter, so you need to use flexible/durable materials so they have a little bit of give. 

• Upvote 1

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Without further ado, let's pick a winner! We've assigned each participant a number, like so:

1. Nato G

2. tourmalinex

3. Xboxtravis

4. 12382

5. Voxumo

Then we turn to treasured resource Random.org to give us a number between 1 and 5, and:

Screenshot_20230108-171139_Chrome.jpg

Congratulations Xboxtravis!

And thanks to everyone who showed off their stuff; you've got some excellent taste and/or modelling skills. Maybe we'll do this again sometime!

• Like 5
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

Congrats to the winner. It was really cool to see everyone's creativity on show.