What happened to the Art Contests?

That Matoran with a Vahi

In the same vein as we have the Bionicle-Based Creations contests, I remember that back in the years when Bionicle was current, BZP used to hold regular fanart contests, too. While the BBC contests are still running, though, I haven't seen a new art contest in years. Were they just discontinued for lack of interest, or did something else happen to them?

No particular reason for asking, I was just thinking it might be fun to try entering one again; then remembered that I hadn't seen one in ages. So I was just wondering.

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

25 minutes ago, Black Six said:

We appreciate the feedback! Contests take a bunch of time and effort to run, so we haven't directed our energies towards the art forums in a while. We'll have to consider it for a future contest though!

what ttv does is let the community do contests so there's less pressure on the admins to do do stuff like that

image.gif.f0b625d4fc4c82b928516a036fc1cf5a.gif

I believe you could ask to host your own contest on the site. You just have to say that it’s not affiliated with the site or its staff (I however could be wrong about this). Setting up a contest is complex because you have to define a set of rules that are inclusive and set a standard for the contest. I have been the official of many types of contests including art contest; pixel art, fan art, Minecraft, OpenBOR and Mugen. Sometimes it may seem easy to create a contest, however when a prize and other people are involved things can get difficult. In my experience Its better to create a score key of criteria to help judge submissions in a contest to ensure every submission gets equal representation.

On 12/14/2022 at 4:45 PM, confused piraka said:

what ttv does is let the community do contests so there's less pressure on the admins to do do stuff like that

Problem is it can lead to a disconnect between the Channel and then the Boards itself because as of now, no topics or events there tie it to TTV really. Plus, one has to be a 'Master' (High rank) and then offer a physical prize. So not many contests go ahead. Personally, I wish their admins would be more engaged, initiating community events etc. as I like the place and wish to see it more active but that's neither here nor there.

Seeing as I'm still relatively new here, I don't recall ever seeing any art contests, besides having heard about the art canon contests a decade ago, was there many other subjects? When was the last art contest held?

On 12/18/2022 at 12:26 AM, Axelford said:

Seeing as I'm still relatively new here, I don't recall ever seeing any art contests, besides having heard about the art canon contests a decade ago, was there many other subjects? When was the last art contest held?

They were fairly regular back in BZP's heyday. I found the original art contest history thread on the Wayback Machine, which gives a brief summary of the themes, winners and prizes for each contest up until 2008: https://web.archive.org/web/20080622043737/http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186221 (out of those, I remember contests #8, #11 and #14; not so much the others). Traditional and digital art were both allowed, but the voting usually split them into separate sub-categories, with a winner picked from each.

The last art contest looks like it was in 2018. Only two people entered; though I wonder if that was perhaps due to the way it was as much a building contest as it was an artwork one - contest types which often attract different crowds from each other - or because it wasn't Bionicle themed.

Edited by That Matoran with a Vahi
  • Like 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

13 hours ago, That Matoran with a Vahi said:

Only two people entered; though I wonder if that was perhaps due to the way it was as much a building contest as it was an artwork one

Yeah, from my cursory look, all I could find is that one and frankly it doesn't inspire imagination, it prompts people to draw an improved Star Wars set (but only an existing type, this isn't about making a new thing)-but Lego (so drawn all blocky) but then like explaining somehow what they would change (So like annotated or drawing on top of a screenshot or something?) but those old contests sound interesting, I'll have a look at those thanks!