The Development of 40581 Tahu and Takua - Designer Interview

Recently, as the Ambassador for BioniLUG, I was invited to a roudtable interview session with LEGO Designer Nick Vas, who was the lead designer on 40581 Tahu and Takua, and LEGO Designer Niek van Slagmaat. Joining me was Graham from Blocks Magazine, Eljay from The Three Virtues, Chris from DuckBricks, Aiden from BrickNerd, and Chris from Brick Fanatics. Nick started by giving us a presentation on the development of the set, followed by each of us taking turns to ask some questions. They were even kind enough to share some of the images from the slides for us to share with you. Read on to learn more about the design of this awesome tribute set!

View the full article

• Like 6

That Takanuva in the second set of pictures though! He looks fantastic, I wonder how hard it would be to reverse-engineer him from that picture alone...

That aside, really neat interview! It was all really interesting; and on a personal note, I loved what Niek said about his first Bionicle experience, after seeing the sets, was to try and build his own from the parts he already had... I'd forgotten, but it reminds me that was exactly what I did, too, when I got the first Lego World Club magazine that featured them. Only in my case, it was Fire and Rock Slizers who sacrificed their parts to my attempt to build Onua... and I failed miserably, which was why I chose Onua for my first Toa as soon as I got the chance, to see how he *actually* went together!

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

16 hours ago, Valendale said:

Lotta hubbub for a little GWP set honestly. But I'm glad we got it! There's a lot of interesting points in the story of how this thing go made and why it is what it is. I do hope one day we get some kind of Bionicle tribute that isn't 2001-2003 though.

I don't have nostalgia for the first wave so are they Evan worth buying? (ignika builds are just so much better)

image.gif.f0b625d4fc4c82b928516a036fc1cf5a.gif

Nick and Niek put together a great looking set given the GWP limitations, I'm actually a fan of how Bionicle looks reimagined in System pieces - Even as just an experiment. The lava base, Takua being included, it's a solid display set. Quite liking those internal MOC and set sketches too, and the creativity behind all those ideas. (That Nuva cube is insane!) 

I was primarily into the series from 2001-2005 (And kept up casually with it until 2007), but even I would be open to a Great Spirit Robot set. They're right that a majority of the oldschool fans probably won't be familiar with it, but it's close enough to Mata Nui for me to act as a selling point. Oh by the way, I was glad to see DuckBricks in this conversation, as he's been my favorite Lego Youtuber as of late.

"In 2023, the math says Bionicle fans will now be around 29 to 34 years old, which is kind of uncomfortable." LOL, this part was on the nose too.

~ ((ºJº))

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful to hear about the design process, as well as the absolute love put into this gift! They really considered every aspect of the set, even down to the box and manual. If Nick & Niek, or anyone else who worked to get this out, are reading this: thank you! This will adorn my desk for a long time ❤️