Ghosts of Bara Magna

a goose

IC: Salwa (Precipere)

I nodded at our leader's last remark. That was certainly true, and I could, personally, be quite happy to take a moment away from the field. Somok was probably going to ask us all to keep close to the village for now, so that we wouldn't run afoul of prying eyes when Vulcanus or whomever else was interested came knocking. It would suit me just fine, for sure.

OOC: @Nato G

• Like 1

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: Jeizmel, near the entrance to Atero

Well, here she was. Atero. The centre of the world...

And further from her native Iconox than she'd ever been before.

Already homesick, the white-and-blue Agori sighed a little as she pulled off her goggles, scrutinised them. Little scratches, most of them fresh, decorated the transparent panes. She had caught a ride, for a fee, with some Glatorian who drove a Thornatus and had been going the same direction she wanted; but as the vehicle had a seat for only its driver, that had involved perching awkwardly to the side of the cockpit and catching a lot of the grit kicked up by their passage.

That said, she was glad she had been wearing the goggles; she'd have hated to get that stuff in her eyes.

Putting the goggles back on, placing them up on her forehead for now until she could tend to their damage, Jeizmel turned her attention to her new location. Once again, it was no Iconox, that was for sure; but if it was going to be her home for the time being, then she had no choice but to accept it. Find a job, find some form of shelter, maybe at least try to fit in... this wasn't her tribe, after all, so she didn't feel the need to hold them to her standards of the purity of ice - only herself, on that count - which might make it at least a little easier to make a friend or two.

Finding work was no concern for her. She knew her way around a sword, she knew business, and she fancied herself a good odd-jobs woman too; surely something would come her way. As to shelter, there must be an inn further into town. And as to fitting in...

Well, cross that bridge when she came to it.

Speaking of crossing bridges...

The bridge across the flowing sands stretched ahead of her, leading up to Atero's main gates. After pausing a moment to stretch out her muscles, then to check that her blade was still securely in its sheath across her back, Jeizmel clenched her fists in determination and started forward into her new life.

OOC: Jeizmel is open for interaction!

• Like 1

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

IC: Somok - Precipere 

"You've spent more time than most out there," Somok said, reluctance clear in his voice, "How would you recommend we respond to this situation?"

Rare was the day Somok asked another for advice, but he knew his limitations. He was almost at an age where he needed two hands to count the number of decades it had been since he'd left Precipere. As knowledgeable as he acted, the world beyond this village was foreign to him now. 

He'd already weighed up the other options, and found them lacking. Pretending things were business as usual when they clearly weren't would only put more lives at risk, and after the loss of Behjen's hunting party the Ash Tribe couldn't afford to lose any more hunters or warriors. And as much as Somok wanted to simply hunker down and let Vulcanus sort out the problem, he didn't trust they could manage it in a timely manner, if at all. The Ash Tribe were reliant on being able to hunt in the canyon for food; they had stores, of course, but if they were cut off for more than a few weeks there were going to be problems. 

He needed a new option from a fresh perspective, and Salwa seemed the best choice. 

@Geardirector

• Like 1

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

IC: Skyra Daring - Streets of Atero -

Skyra nodded at his gesture. "Yeah exactly, come on the Inn is just over there." Skyra pointed towards the inn as she started to walk over. 

------

The buggy beeped in response to it's passengers before taking off quickly, driving back towards it's driver. Whether or not it was the result of their question was hard to say.

@Morgan Yu @Techn0geist

• Like 2

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC: Karak - Atero Streets (En-route to the inn)

The building looks well established. That engenders good omens, at least hopefully. 

I look the woman over as she walks. Closer, she does not have the stride of a killer - weapons aside. A difficult thing to classify. Usually, it's not a thing you have a need to look for. Any man who wants you dead will normally not wait very long. But war has perhaps dulled that skill of mine. Little room for detective work when every enemy you kill has an identical uniform.

"...This place. Food?" My words come out dry. The sun seems determined to calcify me.

OOC: @Snelly

• Like 2

“No. Sorry, kid, that’s the one thing you can never do.”

BZPRPG Arc 3 Profiles I GOBM Profiles

IC: Salwa (Precipere)

I blinked. Then again. I was not at all expecting that, and now I was walking into uncharted territory. I felt my finger twitch almost unconsciously as I struggled to think about the question, and to provide an answer. Would there be any use in answering honestly? What was the honest answer anyway?

"I... think there's a need for more information on our part," I began, "we'll need to send a few out in the direction of Ferrum, but... we should try to avoid being seen there until we can spot whatever parties the other villages send. We can't go there alone, it would look suspicious"

OOC: @Nato G

• Like 1

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

IC: Somok - Precipere

The old man's wrinkled brow furrowed further, "And who would you have us send for such a task? The guards who are supposed to protect this village? Or perhaps hunters like yourself, who we so desperately need to gather our food?" 

His frustration was directed as much at her as it was towards himself, and the situation in general. He wanted to act, but couldn't see any easy way to safely do so, not without diverting more people from their duties and risking their lives in the canyon. 

@Geardirector

• Like 1

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

IC: (Atero)

To a desert dweller, Atero was a place rich in rare commodities. Foremost among these was shade.

Under a canopy not far from the city's entrance, a lone figure spat out a shard of fireroot and uncorked his flask. His narrow eyes scanned the street, analysing. As he sipped, he wondered how long it had been since he had last been here. Months. Years? The Chain Gang had become almost self-sustaining in that time. But they had lacked shade. Protection. And they had enemies. The civilised peoples of Bara Magna made a good call when they agreed not to just kill each other.

Across the street, a woman was carrying a basket on her head. A group of children of varied ages suddenly darted from an alleyway, playing some game or other. Not seeing them in time, the woman stumbled, and the basket nearly fell to the ground, a red object slipping out from under the lid. The fruit split open on a small stone, revealing its innards, spilling crimson in a fractal pattern in the sand, and the skin deflated feebly, defeated in its only purpose.

Dune Wolf turned away. He needed a drink.

(Red Star Inn)

"You'll have to do better than that, Outrider," said the barman with his arms folded. "I have a family, you know."

Dune bit harder on the fireroot and glared at the yam he had offered as payment. "Can't you just give me whatever this is worth?"

The barman poured the smallest possible droplet of Blackthorn Gin into a thimble-sized cup, and laid on the bar next to it a small nut. "This. This is what it's worth."

Dune cursed under his breath and looked around the room. His eyes fell on a purple-skinned Glatorian with silver armour. Fittingly, her helmet was in the shape of a wolf's head. A mercenary, he hoped. Or at least a paid fighter.

"Hey, you," he called, gesturing to indicate his predicament. "Spare a coin?"

OOC: @a goose

Edited by Wotz
  • Like 2

IC: ????? - Red Star Inn, Atero

The buggy rolled to a gentle stop outside an inn not terribly far from the training grounds, truthfully walking distance if the three had known.

Ahmoa disembarked, leading the Glatorian out and handing them their gear before mumbling an awkward "Thank you" to seemingly no one, wondering if the vehicle understood.

Mard hopped out and slapped the hood twice in gratitude for the lift, taking note of two other Glatorian moving towards the Red Star; one the dark green of his Jungle Tribe, the other a deep bloody red, atypical of a child of Vulcanus.

"Ahmoa," the green Agori whispered, indicating the two Glatorian with a side-eye. Hanging around the training grounds gave the guards a good eye for body language, and these two looked tense.

<<Analysing scenario.>>

<<Recent physical exertion. Increased respiratory rate. Weapons sheathed. No present threat. Maintain awareness.>>

The Glatorian's grip on their weapons tightened, their muscles on a hair-trigger.

"Let's get inside, see if we can find our driver." Ahmoa responded in a hushed tone, before noticing their companion staring down the two and nudging them with his elbow, causing their gaze to snap downwards.

"Put them away, friend. We're not here to cause trouble." He indicated his spear on his back, and in that vein not in his hands.

The Glatorian stared similarly at Ahmoa for a worrying second too long before something clicked in their head, sheathing their club and buckler. The situation disarmed, the trio shuffled quickly into the inn.

OOC: @Snelly @Morgan Yu

Edited by Techn0geist
  • Like 3

The Writer Formerly Known as Zeal
BZPRPG Profiles
Ghosts of Bara Magna Profiles

IC: Karak - Red Star Inn

Communal drinking. To what end does the merriment serve? Are they celebrating having not keeled over yet in the scalding wastes? Another mystery I have not the time to unravel. 

I spot a table toward the back. It has a good view of the establishment. I can keep my eyes on everyone that way. A glance and a gesture for my tenuous companion, I make my approach with or without a response, seating my haunches on the beaten leather. Too comfortable.

OOC: @Snelly@Techn0geist

• Like 3

IC: Wolf (Atero; Red Star Inn)

Wolf narrowed her eyes, taking in the stranger; she knew all too well how the Bone Hunters tag and adorn their slaves with metal. Many a Serrat had met the same fate, though few had escaped.

This runaway appeared to have secured his freedom some years past; his scars – those she could see, at least – were long-healed, and he looked nearly ten years her senior. Bone Hunters preferred to take their slaves young, and hard labour made for short lives.

Her mind made up, she nodded and signaled the barman. "Make it two."

OOC: @Wotz

Edited by a goose
  • Like 1

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

IC: Skyra Daring - Red Star Inn  -

Skyra sat across from Karak, briefly observing the other patrons before focusing on her new friend. Or at least she thought they were friends now, it was kind of hard to tell.

Skyra relaxed against her seat as she quickly ordered drinks for the both of them, he seemed to struggle with words so she figured she’d help him out with ordering. “Say, I don’t think I ever caught your name.” She had told him her name during their fight but she realized she still didn’t know his.

@Morgan Yu @Techn0geist

• Like 3

IC: Dune Wolf (Red Star Inn)

He popped the nut into his mouth and flashed a victorious smirk at the barman, who rolled his eyes and busied himself with another customer.

Dune took a swig of the gin--not bad, he was surprised to discover. Then, without really knowing why, he took a seat at the mercenary's table and slid her drink across. "I owe you my company. It's less overpriced than the drinks here."

OOC: @a goose

• Like 2

IC: Wolf (Atero; Red Star Inn)

She grunted in seeming agreement. "Everyone's charging more. Same as you or me. Mercs."

It was true, too; prices always got higher around Tournament time, in an effort to wring every last penny out of the tourist trade, but this year was worse. People had been travelling less since the Skrall pushed south and the Bone Hunters changed their patrols, which meant that the off-season had made for even more of a deficit than usual.

• Like 3

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

My name. 

"...Name...Karak." I say, with considered hesitation. A perverse thought had shot past, to tell her the name the Agori had taken to calling me. 

No. Too mundane an insult to bear as a trophy. I lick my lips.

"Desert. Too hot." 

A thought I was comfortable sharing.

• Like 3

IC: Skyra Daring - Red Star Inn  -

"Karak..." Skyra said it out loud so she'd remember it. Seemed as good as any name. The driver nodded at Karak's comment on the desert heat.

"Yeah, at least when you're driving the air helps cool you down."

@Morgan Yu

• Like 3

I idly remove my metal mask - two muddy brown drinks are placed gently in front of us both by a shaky Agori. 

I trace a finger across a scar by my brow, my worn fingers on my other hand around the cool glass. I mean to sip - but end up indulging a larger swig. The taste is foul...but it's liquid. 

A grimace. I place the glass back down on the table. 

"...My thanks." I speak quietly. 

"Your...duty, it is what?" A nod as she spoke of 'driving'. The Agori use this word in lieu of 'riding', when speaking of their metal steeds. I suppose it makes sense. You're in far more control than could ever be afforded by a living creature. You're not taking a ride.

I ask her occupation out of curiosity. She has the equipment and some of the instincts of a fighter, but again, not a killer. Perhaps a mercenary.

• Like 3

IC: Skyra Daring - Red Star Inn  -

Skyra took a sip of her drink, it did indeed taste like s###, but she was used to it. She took a moment after listening to Karak's inquiry before putting the mug down.

"Well, for the most part I'm a driver. I give people rides in my vehicle and take them to where they want to go. When business is slow I fight in the arena sometimes to make extra cash, but I prefer driving, it's my passion." 

She wondered how many of those words he'd understand, but she hoped he'd at least get the general idea.

@Morgan Yu

Edited by Snelly
  • Like 2

IC: Dornak (North of Vulcanus, south of the Skrall River) - The Devil You Know

Ferrum had fallen.

Well, this wasn’t liable to go well for anyone in Vulcanus, least of all him. If the Skrall heard that Ferrum had gone to the sands and that he hadn’t told them… the sight of their buzzsaw shields was burnt into his mind. They looked sharp. He didn’t do well with sharpy bits poked into him.

Besides, whatever had happened to Ferrum has a chance of happening to its neighbours. Therefore, Rock Tribe spy or no, the logical decision was not to investigate the crisis like some sort of idiot. No, the best thing to do was get as far away from the danger zone as possible.

As soon as the news reached his ears, Dornak made his excuses, departed Vulcanus as quick as he could, and began heading north on his Thornatus. If anyone asked - nobody would ask, but in case anybody did - he was going to Atero to see the Games. He was most certainly not gonna tell Roxtus about Ferrum. Even if he was, what was the problem? The Skrall didn’t get out much, if he didn’t tell ‘em about the… whatever had happened, who would?

Should he have stuck around longer, to make sure he actually knew what was going on? No, no - this was definitely the best course of action, and he definitely wasn’t telling himself that because heading back would look suspicious and, as said, take him further towards an unknown danger in the stead of a known one. The Skrall were a nasty lot, but they were gonna win, everyone knew it, and at least he knew what their deal was, rather than whatever had hit Ferrum. What if it were a natural disaster? How was he gonna cozy up to an earthquake? You’d need-

“WHAT THE-?!” A caravan being pulled by a particularly nasty looking Spikit - though Spikit always looked particularly nasty - appeared out of nowhere and almost caused him to have an accident.

His sharpened instinct for avoiding painful, horrible death made him swerve out of the way just in time, and through the plumes of kicked up sand he got a good look at the person at the front guiding them… Ash Agori. Bloody grave-robbing psychopaths, every single one of ‘em. When Dornak died - hopefully in the distant future, in his bed, when death was a mercy - he at least wanted the dignity of burial, not having his stuff filched and his innards cooked for supper, or whatever they did in that cliffside abattoir of theirs.

The driver must have noticed his feelings on his face, as they flashed an evil looking grin as they went past. Dornak put his foot on the gas, and began speeding back to Atero as fast as his Thornatus would take him, the roar of the engine drowning out the snarls of the Spikit.

Better the devil you know… better the devil you know…

IC: Maxas (North-east of Tajun, the Skrall River) - With Friends Like These…

They said that the river was once an actual river.

Stories are told that precious water once sprung plentiful from the Great Volcano like it were a fountain, through the winding, jagged terrain of the Black Spike Mountains, heading south-west straight through Atero, before eventually pooling at Sandray Canyon.

Of course, history was written by Agori, and Agori were deceitful, self-interested, and prone to embellishment. The Skrall River may have once been a true river, running water instead of sand, but the truth was likely to lost to time… and if it had been a river, no doubt it had been the work of the Skrall that defiled it… or the Element Lord of Sand! Or the Vorox and Zesk - they weren’t the animals everyone else thought they were! Everyone else may choose to willfully blind but such a life wasn’t for Maxas… hence, why they all seemed to have it out for him…

“MAXAS!” How else could this be explained? “Oooh, it’s so good to see you! I don’t, uh, suppose I could convince you to-”

The water merchant slammed the brakes on his Cendox, and after a moment of being confused, Dornak did the same on his Thornatus. Engines died as the sand the two vehicles thrust up into the air fell back down to rejoin the endless desert.

Dornak apparently thought this meant Maxas had accepted whatever he was about to ask, as he dismounted his vehicle, chuckling. “Ahahahah… you know, you could… you could’a just slowed down!” He wiped a bead of sweat from his brow. “I mean… that kinda increases the risk of accident-”

Without warning, Maxas leapt off his Cendox, brandishing his war hammer. Dornak resembled a panicked Zesk, with enlarged eyes as he backed away towards his Thornatus. “N-now, l-l-let’s - let’s not - if this is about the last Games, I swear, I thought the odds were-”

Wordlessly, staring daggers, Maxas kept forcing Dornak back towards his vehicle until his back was pressed against it. Before Dornak could leap back on, Maxas suddenly grabbed hold of him and threw him down on the sand beside them. The Fire Agori continued his involuntary Zesk impression as he scurried backwards on his bottom, away from the crazy man with the hammer.

“I’m onto you, you little guzzler- A grievous insult among Tajunians, meaning one who drank water too greedily. “I know exactly what your play is.”

“I-I-I-I-” Dornak suddenly thrust himself back to his feet, though the effort he spent doing this instead of keeping on backing up meant that he was suddenly within hammering range. “I assure you, you got it all wrong, it’s not-”

“Oh yes - I know that we’ve suddenly ‘lost contact’ with Ferrum. I know you’re in Raanu’s pocket, going around, spreading the ‘official story’-”

“‘RAANU?!’” Dornak cried incredulously. “I’ve never even MET Raanu! Have YOU ever met Scodonius!?

“Blaming every single problem you have on the Ash Tribe… and ME, of course. You think I’m as stupid as the rest of them?! The links in this chain are OBVIOUS - Raanu works with Scodonius, Scodonius works with Berix, Berix works with Metus, Metus works with the Skrall, the Skrall work with-”

“I DON’T WORK FOR THE SKRALL!” Dornak blurted out. “PLEASE, PLEASE PUT THE HAMMER DOWN - I JUST WANT A DRINK OF WATER!

Maxas stared at Dornak for a moment, as if his eyes were going to extend out of their socket to take a closer look at the wretched miscreant… and then, he suddenly relaxed, holstered his hammer, and walked back to his Cendox. “Oh, very well then… after all, if you SAY IT then it MUST be true…

Dornak breathed a sigh of relief as Maxas went into passive-aggressive mode rather than simply aggressive. “Th-thanks, Maxie! L-look, th-this ‘chain’... I’m not in on it!”

“Mm-hmm.” Maxas grunted, preparing Dornak’s drink. He made sure it wasn’t one of the poisonous or acidic ones… if he killed Dornak, they’d know he was onto them… besides, Dornak was his ‘man on the inside’, as it were. And of course, the best way to Dornak’s heart was to threaten him with bodily harm.

“N-no, really! I mean, you and I… we’re mates, pals, chums!”

“Mm.”

“I mean, us little guys, all Bara Magna out to get us - we gotta stick together!”

“As you say…”

“And, ergo, being on the same team and all, we should-”

“Pay up, Dornak.”

Suppressing a groan, Dornak very quickly got out the coin and exchanged it for the drink he was hoping he could coax from Maxas for free.

“We never had this conversation.”

“Yes we didn’t - er, no we didn’t…” Dornak looked northward with intent, so Maxas would also look northward and thus wouldn’t notice Dornak dusting the sand off his backside. “So… off to Atero to sell water at the Games?”

Maxas narrowed his eyes in suspicion… but this was a reasonable inference for Dornak to make, so it didn’t prove anything. “Something like that…”

“Right! So, safety and numbers and all, we should-”

“You’re driving in front of me.”

“O-of course! Of course! Of course…”

The two Agori re-mounted their vehicles, Thornatus ahead of Cendox, and sped off, following the Skrall River northward to the capital, both wondering why the world seemed to out to get them…

IC: Lutenus (Streets of Atero) - I’ve Got My Eye on You

Atero. Jewel of the desert. Host to the Games, where the mighty Glatorian would face each other in glorious combat for their village’s glory.

“Oh, erm - Glatorian of Tesara!” The water merchant said, as he caught sight of a muscular figure in green with a menacing mechanical eye approaching his recently parked Cendox, which meant he was either about to be robbed, intimidated, or patronized, in either meaning of the word. Or Dornak had already managed to betray him within minutes of their arrival. “In need of refreshment?” Where had Dornak gone off to in such a hurry, anyway?

“Quite so.” With the barest hint of a smile, Lutenus placed the requisite coin on the hood of the vehicle, his smile widening as he delighted in one of the metal pieces began spinning on its edge for a few seconds before settling down.

The merchant seemed to eye the coins, as if trying to appraise their authenticity, before handing him the agreed upon ‘refreshment.’ “Here you go, sir…”

“Ahah - Lutenus, please.” The Glatorian said, taking the bottle off Maxas’ hands, sloshing the water around as he tilted it around in his hand. “‘Sir’ is a little too formal for my tastes. For that matter, so is ‘Glatorian of Tesara. You may refer to me as Glatorian Lutenus, if decorum is a necessity-”

“It is in this business - water. Can’t live with it, can’t live without it. In days past, men would slaughter one another merely for the promise of a few drops.” The way the merchant smiled seemed off, as if he didn’t really feel like talking, but did so for his customer’s sake.

Lutenus nodded, pretending to care, as he took the lid off the bottle. Indeed, people did die over this, continued to die other it, and a great deal many other things. Sooner or later, they’d have to accept that unification was a necessity. Of course, that meant one village over all others - an equal partnership was what they had now, after all. And at the end of the day, being placed in the heart of the desert, adjacent to Atero, there was only one viable candidate.

Maxas didn’t like the way his customer was looking at him - his smile was transparently false, as were most smiles that came his way. What concerned him more was that accursed eye, that looked like it was staring through his flesh and into his spirit. He tried to ignore it, but the way his cybernetic eye whirred and clicked and buzzed unnerved him. Then, he drank the water right there and then. As he turned away to drink, Maxas saw it.

A strange, mechanical artifice, attached to the back of his head… no, it was IN his head, flesh and bone giving way to metal. Whatever it was, it didn’t seem to be in operation, unlike the eye, the aperture of which was closing and opening in a regular pattern.

He recognized the handiwork - Celrys. The mad mechanist who kept trying to convince people to replace their body parts with cold, unfeeling machinery… and who kept succeeding. This Glatorian was clearly a true believer in his madness, if he let those Celtech lunatics lodge one of their dangerous pet projects in his skull.

The eye suddenly turned to face the merchant, who jolted in surprise. “Do my enhancements disturb you?” The faintest hint of amused derision crept into the Glatorian’s voice.

“...Is it… pardon me for asking, but is that device in your brain? He asked, nervously.

The grin he gave wasn’t very reassuring. “I assure you, it’s perfectly safe.” It wasn’t, of course. But no great advance was taken without great risk or sacrifice. And it was no business of this lowly materialist, in any case.

“Hmmm.” Maxas didn’t seem convinced.

The eye still kept whirring, as Lutenus stared at Maxas, his lidless cyber eye imposed upon him. “Men may kill for water…but water keeps you alive. Tradition won’t quench your thirst, sake your hunger, or save your life. You won’t be needing it where we’re going…” And with his ominous warning for the day delivered, Lutenus took the remainder of the drink with him.

What an odd man, Maxas thought to himself, as he made doubly sure these coins weren’t counterfeit…

IC: Vraek (Streets of Atero) - When in Doubt…

Though imperfect, the way of the Glatorian had kept peace in the desert for as long as anyone could remember. The opportunity to do battle within the Arena Magna, fighting for the good of your tribe and tribesmen was a great honour.

So why did Vraek feel nothing but shame?

She knew why, of course. The slaves. The dealings with the Bone Hunters. And whatever unspoken deeds Metus and his entourage had certainly done behind closed doors. It made all of it feel… hollow, and sullied.

But Metus was not Iconox, and neither was Vraek. No singular person made a tribe, or determined its purpose. These dishonourable actions would not taint the Ice Tribe as a whole forever, just as Metus could not rule forever. Her victory or defeat here would have little impact on the tribe’s agenda as a whole.

Speaking of dishonour - she saw him. Lutenus. The cyborg. Drink of water in hand, just to make him seem more evil. His lifeless, clockwork eye turned to look at her, and for a moment, she felt as if she was back in the White Quartz as a chill passed over her.

Lutenus tried to stifle his amusement as the ‘pure’ Ice Glatorian recoiled. “Oh dear, Vraek, is something the matter?” He said with a dung-eating grin, knowing fully what ‘the matter’ was. He tilted his head so she could somewhat see the processor.

“Nothing whatsoever. How have you been? Has that device in your skull given you any trouble?”

“Rather the opposite, in fact. I have been doing rather wonderfully as of late. And you? I see you’ve neglected to take my advice… or pay attention to what’s happening around you, as usual.” The eye made strange noises as it panned down to Vraek’s feet and very slowly made its way up. “Though admittedly, your choice to remain ‘stock,’ as it were, has its…” He searched for the right word. “Perks, aesthetically.

“I don’t need toys to see clearly, freak. Vraek hissed, dropping all pretense of civility.

Lutenus rolled his eyes - which made the metal one make a whirring noise - and clicked his tongue. “And here I was, hoping for a civil conversation. But then, what can you expect, from associates of Hunters?”

Fuming, Vraek glared at Lutenus, trying to suppress the urge to rip that thing out of his skull and make him eat it. “That is not my doing-”

“No, of course not - well, I must be off then! I hope you at least have fun in the arena. That’s all that matters in the end, isn’t it?” Lutenus stepped away, but kept his eye on Vraek, not fully trusting her to not attack him while his back was turned which was also very insulting for her.

Her hand balled into a fist… and then slackened. Ultimately, Lutenus’ choice to desecrate his body and essentially cheat in the arena was his own… and Iconox was exploiting those with choice robbed from them.

Whatever. Let him and the others keep their precious tools. They would inevitably fail them when they needed them the most, she was certain of it…

Doubt raced in her mind. Was she going to fail Iconox when they needed her the most?

When in doubt, drown it out… where was the nearest inn?

IC: Skrall (Roxtus, Parade Grounds) - He Is Skrall

One Skrall had thoughts on this subject.

These games that the southerners played. They battle for glory and material gain. Not so different from Skrall. Why did Leader Tirveus scorn it?

Unimportant. He is Skrall. Skrall do not question. Preparations must be made. Training.

He had heard that the southerners do not purposefully kill in their arenas. He hoped that this was not the case. Defeat in training was one thing, but there were true stakes to this contest. A warrior chosen to participate who failed would know life worse than death. They would either claim their own life or offer it up to the desert.

The southerners were cruel indeed, if what he had heard was true. Conquest would save them.

IC: Taldrix (Bone Hunter Stronghold) - And You May Find Yourself Living in a Shotgun Shack

Not Hunters. Gatherers.

The item screamed as the nails were planted into his face. He howled in pain. His low pain tolerance would have to be noted. This one was sub–standard.

Taldrix noted this down. Well, that was the last of them. All slaves tagged and accounted for. At this rate, they would soon surpass their quota for this month…

How had it come to this?

She made a stop at where the Rock Steeds were kept to feed Nuth, her only real companion, before continuing on schedule.

She needed to check the special item recovered. She was clearly in no condition to be sold, but she still needed to be catalogued. Procedure must be maintained. They were not the savages they claimed they were.

She could still hear him screaming.

Her hands turned to the Spice she kept with her-

No, she needed to remain focused.

They were Gatherers. Not Hunters.

There was nothing wrong here. Nothing at all.

The only thing wrong was that she was here, and not home.

This, all of this, was beneath her! Forced to live and scrounge like Zesk!

Curse the Skrall! May they skewer themselves on the Black Spikes!

IC: Xyde (Precipere, Guardhouse) - Ashes to Ashes…

Apart from almost becoming roadkill as a result of a particularly inattentive motorist, the journey beyond the safety of Precipere to retrieve more medical supplies went as well as could be expected - given that they’d utterly failed to retrieve said supplies in question. Zin and Zyn had to be calmed down after that little incident, but at least the look on that Fire Agori’s face was worth it as he zoomed by…

That being said, they tried to avoid any further encounters with the Vulcanians on the road back to Precipere. Yes, leaving them to rot in a pit while their possessions go to waste is the best way to honour the dead. Clearly.

As the wagon strode onto the edge of Precipere, Xyde dismounted and threw Zin and Zyn another pair of treats. One for each of them - they would be too busy eating theirs to fight over the other’s.

They searched for Somok, eventually finding him and Salwa in the guardhouse. Arguing. Shocking, shocking they’d tell you.

They sighed, and braced themself for what came next. “OK, so… I didn’t get the herbs I told you were absolutely necessary that I leave the village for. How has your day been?” They very quickly changed the subject, hoping that Somok would continue to be mad about whatever he was currently mad about instead of being mad at Xyde.

@Nato G @Geardirector

• Like 3

IC: Jeizmel, Streets of Atero

"Oh-- Glatorian! Glatorian Vraek!"

Of all the places to see a familiar face...

She probably had no reason to be surprised, Jeizmel figured, as she hurried to catch up with the longer strides of the taller figure. She didn't see the appeal, personally, but Bara Magna's citizens would travel far and wide to attend the arena tournaments; and with a major one on the horizon, then it only made sense that anyone who was anyone would be flooding into the capital of the world. Glatorian even more than most, since their whole living revolved around such tournaments. Still, even if not unexpected, it was always strange to meet someone you knew when you were so far from home.

Jeizmel didn't know the warrior well, of course. Glatorian and Agori didn't hang out socially, at least in her experience; but they had crossed paths around Iconox once or twice - usually when Jeizmel had been in trouble for enforcing her personal principles in places where Metus didn't think she ought to have - and, well...

From what she'd seen, Jeizmel actually liked the Glatorian. Like herself, she seemed to have some of the standards of purity and honour that so many of their tribe had abandoned, and that was something that the youngster had only the deepest of respect for. Maybe an Agori and a Glatorian could never really be friends, but even so... in a city so far from her own, the possibility of known and (hopefully) agreeable company was one that the smaller woman was eager to seize.

It also wasn't lost on her that, if Vraek had already been here for a while, she most likely wouldn't have heard about Jeizmel's own current banishment from the tribe. It would be nice, then, to talk to someone from home without that hanging over her.

And as such, she scampered to catch up to the Glatorian.

OOC: @Toru Nui Hope it's alright to assume that Jeizmel would know of Vraek, since they're from the same settlement? If not, I can change the post ^^

• Like 3

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

IC: Selamat - Vulcanus Arena

In the blistering heat of the midday sun, a figure glinting in mismatched, multi-colored armor emerges from the back rooms of the largest arena to be found in the fire tribe's home settlement of Vulcanus. It is entirely possible that the feet of the figure - whose name is Selamat - have touched every grain of sand composing the arena's floor, in his numerous visits to this place. He has been as a ghost haunting the ring and its facilities since his early childhood, practicing with training dummies, neighbors, strange travelers-- any humanoid shape that can be made to stand across from him with a blade in its hand. He is presently coming off the tail end of such a training session, this one unfortunately utilizing the dummies. Having just washed the sweat and grime from his body in a bath of sand, it is time for him to return to his modest residence, and wait out the hottest hours of the day, during which outdoor labors are impossible, before returning to continue his training in the afternoon.

As he exits the partially subterranean facilities of the arena, however, the sight of his recent sparring partner still standing in the middle of the grounds brings about the realization that he has not yet returned his canvas-clothed friend to the storage area. This presents some small difficulty, in that the training dummy is heavy enough as to require two hands to be lifted, and Selamat is holding in one of his hands the lunch which he had packed for himself: Boiled and dried bits of thornax; the scant meat of some small rodent that lived amidst the dunes; a quantity of warm beer. As he considers stepping back into the locker rooms to set down his meal, an idea occurs to him: The sun will not be at its zenith for some minutes yet; better to eat his lunch now, and then, hands freed, move the training dummy back to its rightful place. For whatever reason, this idea appeals to him, and so he sets himself upon the sand, back against the arena wall, empty spectator seating looming over his head, and begins to eat his lunch.

• Like 3

The trio took up barstools, Ahmoa waving down the barman as he passed them to serve a pair of wolf-themed patrons. "Excuse me, do you know who drives the car parked out front?"

The barman shrugged without looking. Mard sighed, knowing it would never be that easy but still disappointed it wasn't anyway. Perking back up, he extended three fingers. "Two for me and my flame here, and non-alcoholic for our mutual friend. Something with fruit."

"Mard, we're still on the clock."

"When was the last time we went out, Ahmoa? Your mother's birthday?" The green guard flashed a cheeky grin.

The Fire Agori looked for all the world like he was going to protest, but instead loosened his shoulders and smiled that rare and beautiful 'well, alright then' smile that Mard so adored.

"One drink."

Their drinks arrived, brown bitters for the Agori and a sweet something for the Glatorian, heavy on the 'something'; it was impossible to discern the type or even presence of fruit used, and even the sweet was up for debate going by the smell. The Iron Tribal grasped the glass firmly and tilted it back like their water flask, slamming the drink back down on the bar as a frightfully sour bite filled their mouth.

"Slow down, bud! Looks like it kicks all the same!" Mard gasped out between fits, and even Ahmoa couldn't resist a sensible chuckle as the Glatorian's face screwed up quite involuntarily.

Ahmoa lay a reassuring hand on the Glatorian's shoulder, who looked confused and perhaps a little wounded. "Not all food and drink is for survival's sake, friend. Some things are meant to be savoured, enjoyed." He glanced back at his partner, still giggling, and smiled warmly. "There are many oases in this great desert. Cuisine, art, poetry... people."

Wrote bad poetry, for goodness's...

<<Analysing scenario.>>

<<Fluid provokes unwelcome physical reaction in great quantities. Suboptimal. Intake fluid in smaller quantities to reduce or eliminate physical reaction. Savour. Enjoy.>>

"enjoy." The Glatorian took a calculated sip, anticipating that sharp sting again. Instead, a pleasant tang sat on their tongue. The Glatorian went for a bigger sip, seemingly enjoying the flavour sensation even if they weren't quite showing it. The barman regarded the three with a 'strange, but not the strangest I've seen' look from the corner of his eye.

On 2/11/2023 at 7:08 AM, Snelly said:

"...but I prefer driving, it's my passion."

The two Agoris' ears pricked up and they looked over their shoulders simultaneously, the Glatorian following two seconds later. There in the corner, the two combatants from outside the Red Star, now sharing a friendly drink.

"Well, whaddayaknow." It was a woman's voice they'd heard, the Jungle Glatorian's. "I'll do the talking, green recognise green," Mard asserted misguidedly.

The two Agori approached the table in the back, leaving the Glatorian idly sipping their drink at the bar. The Jungle Agori waved in what he hoped was a friendly manner. "Heyyy, sorry to interrupt your night, don't suppose you're the mystery driver of the auto-buggy outside are ya?"

OOC: @Snelly @Morgan Yu

Edited by Techn0geist
  • Like 4

BZPRPG Profiles

"Huh?" Skyra turned her head to look at the Agori addressing her now. For a brief moment she was annoyed she was being bothered while having a conversation with her new friend, but she soon grinned at the mention of her buggy, she could certainly sense it was outside due to the chip in her head.

"Yeah that's me. You need to get somewhere fast?"

@Morgan Yu @Techn0geist

• Like 3

IC: Dornak and Lutenus (Atero, Red Star Inn) - Liquid Courage

Deciding he’d need at least a few drinks in his system before heading off to Roxtus, Dornak slithered inside the Red Star Inn.

“Heyyy, sorry to interrupt your night, don’t suppose you’re the mystery driver of the auto-buggy outside are ya?

“Huh? Yeah that’s me. You need to get somewhere fast?”

His eyes wandered off to the source of the conversation… an Iron Glatorian? Here? Now? Did they know what had happened?

“Erm, I’ll have a couple of… those.” He grabbed the attention of the one attending the bar, pointing at the drinks another bargoer (Karak) was having. He then tried to make it look like he wasn’t eavesdropping on the two Tesarans, specifically the one who seemed to be with the Ferrumite…

Meanwhile, Lorqua would soon find herself joined by Lutenus. “Why hello there. Lorqua, I presume? Could I sit with you for a moment?” His cybernetic eye seemed tense, whirring as its aperture shrunk.

@Techn0geist @Snelly @Morgan Yu @oncertainty

IC: Vraek (Streets of Atero) - Points in Calligraphy

“Oh! Is there something I can do for you?” Thank the Ice Lord, something else to take her mind off it. Perhaps there’d be no need for the inn after all… “If it’s an autograph, I’m afraid you’ll need your own ink and parchment.”

@That Matoran with a Vahi

IC: Taldrix (Bone Hunter Stronghold, Outside Somnii’s Cell) - Taking Stock

Taldrix marched to the holding cell where their ‘honoured guest’ was residing.

“Item… Somnii, Agori female, Iron Tribe, leader.” She began scribbling in her notes. “Unusually young for her position…” She looked up from her parchment, peering into the cell bars, examining the item more closely…

@a goose

• Like 4

Lots of people gathering. One points at my drink. My brow furrows.

They are talking too fast for me to catch what they might be saying. There's too many voices. The table rocks slightly - I'm stood upright. I scan the room. Time to leave.

OOC: @Snelly@Toru Nui @Techn0geist

• Like 3

On 2/13/2023 at 8:04 AM, Snelly said:

"Yeah that's me. You need to get somewhere fast?"

"Yeah! Well, not me, uhh not us, well it's uhh-"

"Not actually that complicated," Ahmoa interjected pointedly over Mard, before turning to the driver. "Our companion," glancing back to the Iron Tribal at the bar, "needs to make it out to Tajun. With the exhibition matches starting soon, we figured the caravan drivers would be heading out that way in numbers before long. If you think you can get them there ahead of the pack, however..." Between her wide grin and clear enthusiasm for her job, he'd hoped a little ego-stroking would go some way. Details could wait.

"Sorry to disturb you..." Mard murmured as the red-and-pink Glatorian stood to leave, remembering how aggressive he'd looked outside and hoping not to get battered.

The Glatorian was getting down towards the dregs of their drink, quietly staring about a hundred metres beyond the wall of the inn. A nervous-looking Fire Agori took up another barstool nearby.

<<Analysing scenario.>>

<<Closed-off stance. Intermittently turning vision towards green one and red one. Mard and Ahmoa. No present threat. Maintain awareness.>>

The Glatorian, no master of subtlety, did not observe the stranger from the corner of their eye, instead making their assessment while staring directly at the new arrival. They took another sip.

OOC: @Snelly @Morgan Yu @Toru Nui

Edited by Techn0geist
  • Like 4

BZPRPG Profiles

"Can I get there ahead of the pack? Of course I can." Skyra exclaimed, as if it was obvious. "I'm not exactly known for going slow, so if your friend there doesn't mind a bumpy ride I can get him there befor-oh hey Karak you leaving?" 

Skyra looked at the pink Glatorian as he got up to leave, guess he didn't like crowds much. 

@Morgan Yu @Techn0geist

• Like 4

IC: Dornak (Atero, Red Star Inn) - Pick up Those Eaves

‘Needs to make it to Tajun-’

Oh no - they were looking at him. Two options.

Option one - bolt out of the inn without even touching the drinks, increase chance of survival, but look incredibly suspicious.

Option two - make conversation and see if they knew anything, decrease chance of survival, but not look as suspicious and possibly gain more info.

Gulp.

“Aaaah… excuse me, Glatorian?” He tried to make auditory contact over the hubbub of the Red Star. “C-could I speak with you? It’s about your village!”

@Techn0geist @Snelly

• Like 4

IC: Lorqua - Red Star Inn

Lorqua looked up at the newcomer, gave a pleasant smile, and gestured to the other seats in the booth.

"Aye, that's what they call me."

She didn't wait for him to sit down to begin speaking.

"You're Lutenus, yeah? I don't think we've been introduced properly, but I feel like we've been in a room together before. Back home, I mean."

She rubbed her chin. She didn't forget much, but it had been a long time since she was in Tesara. Not that she was complaining, but it did mean this guy had the advantage of her right now.

"You might have to jog my memory. But that's beside the point, do you need something?"

Granted, this could be purely social. But she tended to trust her intuition about things she didn't know. In her experience, it was the best move if you wanted to stay alive. And she had an intuition that there was something more going on here.

OOC: @Toru Nui

Edited by oncertainty
  • Like 3

IC: (Bone Hunter Stronghold)

Somnii was dead silent, glaring back at the Bone Hunter come to examine her. She briefly considered spitting at her, before remembering that right now, her water supply was pretty precious. This 'Ghost' wanted her kept alive and in decent condition, but she doubted he was above punishing her. Crucius definitely wasn't – especially if the affront took place right in front of him.

And as the doorway behind Taldrix darkened, the only warning she got was Somnii's quick glance over her shoulder.

"Taldrix. You're about to hand me that notepad and forget anything you might just have written in it."

OOC: @Toru Nui

• Like 4

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

IC: Karak

I blink. The other green one seems to cower under himself. Words hiss out half-heartedly.

I hear my name called - and I flinch. Skyra is looking over - she has a sort of glance I’m not used to. Devoid of suspicion, unburdened by prejudice. 

I admit, it halts me. I stand - eyes met.

”…What they is saying?”

OOC: @Snelly@Toru Nui @Techn0geist

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Snelly said:

"Can I get there ahead of the pack? Of course I can."

Ahmoa gave a thin smile. As far as he was aware there was no deadline for getting their charge to Tajun, though no certainty that Celrys was actually at his workshop; he could be off inspecting the Celtech factories in Vulcanus for all they knew. However, the buzz around the opening matches meant he could also be in attendance.

"Let's talk rates. I can introduce you to your passenger too, if you'd like."

32 minutes ago, Morgan Yu said:

"...What they is saying?"

Mard returned the blink. It was certainly a step up from their non-verbal companion, but between his scarred appearance and now his speech patterns, the Agori began to wonder what the blood-red Glatorian before him was exactly. He continued to make himself seem diminutive, non-threatening. He was acutely aware of the guardsmans' spears on his and Ahmoa's backs, and hoped the hunched warrior wasn't.

2 hours ago, Toru Nui said:

“Aaaah… excuse me, Glatorian? C-could I speak with you? It’s about your village!”

The Glatorian continued to stare blankly at the paranoid Agori; the query meant nought to them with their current level of comprehension. Without knowing, they were currently playing a game of chicken with the stranger's frayed nerves, and winning decisively.

OOC: @Snelly @Morgan Yu @Toru Nui

• Like 5

BZPRPG Profiles

IC: Dornak and Lutenus (Atero, Red Star Inn) - The Call to Action

No response.

They were just sitting there… MENACINGLY.

Very, very slowly, Dornak dismounted his stool, taking his drinks with him, walking over to the Iron Glatorian.

“Would you… care for a drink?” He asked, offering one of the cups of brown fluid to them.

Lutenus sat down across from Lorqua, and took a sharp intake of breath. “‘Need’ is a rather strong word, but… well, forgive me if I’m spouting an unfounded accusation, but I’ve gotten the distinct impression that you’re something of a freelancer nowadays.”

He drummed his fingers on the table… “Games will be starting soon, as you know… any plans, concerning them? I don’t suppose I could convince you to participate on Tesara’s behalf once more?”

@Techn0geist @Snelly @Morgan Yu @oncertainty

IC: Taldrix (Bone Hunter Stronghold, Outside Somnii’s Cell) - Whatever You Say, Boss

I’m about to hand you your still-beating heart, you-

“...Of course.” Taldrix handed the parchment to Crucius, with merely the slightest hint of hesitation.

She’d question him about this, but not here and now. That could engender a notion that the Gatherers lacked cohesion in the item, and that never ended well. Her being interrupted and ordered to stop mid-catalogue was degrading enough.

But she wouldn’t forget, of course. If Crucius didn’t want a record of the Iron leader’s presence… why?

@a goose

• Like 4

"Thank you."

Crucius' metal hand crushed the parchment with the force of a hydraulic press, while his expression remained studiously neutral.

"I'm glad we could clear this up, Taldrix. Would've been pretty embarrassing if you mislabeled an item in your paperwork."

OOC: @Toru Nui

• Like 3

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Lorqua leaned back against the seat and drew her hands across her scalp to the back of her head. All the same, she kept her expression absolutely neutral. That Lutenus called it an accusation made his position on the matter clear enough. That's the sort of conversation it was going to be, then. She had played this game before, somehow without much success for her or her interlocutor. Nothing to be done for it now.

"Freelancer as a job, certainly, but not as a statement of my loyalties. I do what I can for Tesara in other ways than the arena."

She made a soft click with her tongue against the roof of her mouth, breaking Lutenus' gaze to peer about the room.

"I'd like to serve in other ways, at least. But that's not me saying no. I'm open to being convinced."

She left it on that, and looked back to Lutenus. The arena was monotony at times, yes, but it was also profit. Profit that could be put in service of other things.

Edited by oncertainty
  • Like 2

IC: Lutenus (Atero, Red Star Inn) - We Live in Interesting Times

“I see. Under normal circumstances, perhaps I would leave it at that… but allow me to share with you what I believe. I have a hunch - a premonition, if you will - that these Games in particular will be very… memorable.

Lutenus looked around the bar for any suspicious characters. There were many, but they seemed to be doing their own thing at the moment. Then he turned back to Lorqua, a look of concern on his face.

“With the Ice Tribe cooperating with the Bone Hunters, and the migration of the Skrall further south, dangerous precedents have been set. These issues may seem small now… but if either Iconox or Roxtus win the Games, then they will only grow larger, until they become impossible for us to ignore. Do you understand my position?”

@oncertainty

IC: Taldrix (Bone Hunter Stronghold, Outside Somnii’s Cell) - Conflict in the Workplace

Never mind then, clearly he was determined to have this conversation here and now. Ah well - the item was likely going to die soon. What did it matter what she overheard? Crucius clearly didn’t seem to believe she’d last long.

“What are you afraid of, exactly?” She asked. “My records are for the benefit of us all. Surely, you don’t think anyone but us will ever read them?”

@a goose

• Like 3

"You're exactly right. That's why it's important they be accurate." Crucius smiled. There were Skopio less threatening than that smile.

"I prevented you from making a clerical error. Somnii was DOA. This item is just an Aula Agoria we picked up in Iron Canyon, and quarantined in case she's a plague carrier."

Somnii scrutinised the proceedings with no small amount of curiosity. She still had enough wherewithal to recognise that Crucius was hiding something – or, perhaps more accurately, that there was something he didn't want Somnii to hear.

Then again, maybe it wasn't about her. She looked back to the pen-pusher; she had never realised before that Bone Hunters had bureaucrats, but it made a great deal of sense. Still, if there were things that Crucius – or, more likely, the Ghost – didn't want traced back to him, it would be a bad idea to let someone with that much work ethic in on them. Better to avoid evidence than to destroy it.

• Like 3

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

She leaned in as Lutenus did, resting her chin on one hand. If he'd rather they weren't heard, then she was willing to oblige.

"It's a scary story, if you're right."

She sighed.

"Hard pitch to say no to, I'll give you that. Iconox and Roxtus are no friends of mine. But I have to ask, do you know something I don't? What makes you think this Games will be the one?"

• Like 4