Ghosts of Bara Magna

a goose

IC: Skrall - On the Road

Skrall, to this point, had been silent-- straining his ears to listen to the conversation in both carts at the same time. Taking it all in, drinking in the words of his various traveling companions, trying to get a bead on their perspectives, their weaknesses, and their merits. At the same time, his eyes scanned the horizon, as much to spot any lurking denizens thereof, as to appear like he was not eavesdropping.

The results came as a surprise. Well, partially-- that the three male youths were hopeless greenhorns was no surprise. But, there was an unexpected level of nuance to their childish ignorance. Magnet Hands was a thinker; open-minded. If he took care to keep his skull from being similarly opened, that quality might serve him well, when he had gained the experience to know what things were worth thinking about. The other Skrall in their cart struck him as more of a watcher and a follower, someone who took in a great deal of information about the world around him, but struggled to operate without direction. Quite easy to influence, if handled properly, Skrall thought.

In the other cart, it was clear that the third youth was trying desperately to be properly Skrall-like. That made him quite predictable, but not necessarily dependable. The female, Skrall could not get a read on. She had said too little, and revealed of herself even less. This was one thing which was not surprising-- of course the female, feared and reviled by all who knew what she was, would not be forthcoming with details about herself. Un-Skrall was not worthy of consideration; even if he managed to earn Skrall's respect, orders were orders, and the traitor would soon be left behind them with the Bone Hunter slavers. Still, the claims he had made were of great interest, and Skrall wondered with a detached curiosity how much of them had been truthful.

The scout was the most intriguing of all Skrall's companions. Skrall had initially written him off as a foolish outcast, an ill-fitting link in the Skrallic chain. Now Skrall wondered if the scout was not, perhaps, the wisest of them all-- other than Skrall himself, of course. The scout's story stuck in Skrall's mind even more than un-Skrall's had; the implications it had for Skrall, and what it said of the merits of the Southerners they had come to conquer. There was no doubt in Skrall's mind that the scout had glimpsed one of the myriad faces of Truth-- the ever-shifting crumb of knowledge that few ever saw more of than a mere outline. The question was, had he survived the encounter fully intact? That was a question that would have to be answered through further observation.

Presently, it occurred to Skrall that he had been silent for quite a long time while the two youths with whom he was sharing his wagon had been conversing. He thought it prudent to join their conversation, for the sake of group cohesion. They seemed to be talking about Tajun, and one had just asked why all of the Southerners did not live there.

"Not enough resources for everyone to live in one place," he said, without tearing his eyes away from the desert sands. "They do as the Skrall did in the North; control sources of not just water, but also food and raw materials. The only difference is that instead of all being Skrall, the villages which control those things in the South are all different. Instead of the leaders taking the fullness of the land's bounty and rationing it out as needed, they distribute it randomly, through a foolish process called economy."

OOC: @Nato G @oncertainty

Edited by Burnmad
  • Like 5

IC: Skrall - Caravan

Skrall turned to look as the older Skrall spoke up. In his own distraction, and the elder's silence, he had almost thought he was asleep. Evidently not. Quite the opposite: he had been listening to them. Skrall felt a twinge of shame; he felt a certain especial kinship with Skrall-to-whom-he-had-been-speaking. He fancied they shared some anxieties. If not, at the very least he had understood what Skrall had said. But Skrall, on the other hand? Skrall knew little about him. Skrall needed to understand, before he made a move.

"Put simply, the Southerners have strange ideas about sharing. They are so often at odds with themselves," he scoffed. Then he gestured with an open hand towards the older Skrall. "What about you? Have you ever been this far into the South before?"

OOC: @Burnmad @Nato G

• Like 3

IC: Somnii (Bone Hunter Stronghold; Somnii's Cell)

"...You don't know, do you?" The words somehow left her mouth with more confusion than judgment, genuine surprise undercutting what could otherwise have been a taunt. So taken aback was she that she almost – almost – failed to notice the Skrall slave's odd expression as he left. It was a familiar kind of admiration; acknowledging it always brought a twist of guilt to her stomach, something she had been unsettled to learn was not simply natural for anyone who found themselves placed upon a pedestal. To her mind, she was no better than anyone else – all she had ever done was speak her mind, and listen. Still, for those used to being unheard and seeing corruption go unchallenged, her attitude had often seemed to be a great relief.

To Somnii, that wasn't a reflection of the quality of her personhood, or even of her leadership; to her, it was the bare minimum that should be expected of anyone, especially those in power. Therein lay the guilt: being praised and admired for so little was a reflection of how little people had come to expect. It was a failure of herself, and those in positions like hers, that led to it.

For now, she filed away a note in her mind that recognised the slave as a potential ally, and turned the totality of her attention back to Taldrix.

"He was the one who brought me here. Honestly, I just kind of assumed he's the guy in charge."

OOC: @Toru Nui @Mel

• Like 3

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

"Once," Skrall replied, eyes now briefly diverting to meet the younger Skrall's gaze. "We did much as we are doing now; delivering a reject to sell to the bone hunters. Only, we did not continue further south after we had done so."

There was more to the story. He felt a sudden impulse to share some of the details with them. "On our way back, we were attacked by one of the desert's creatures: An upright predator called a Vorox. Closest thing to a true 'people' that the dunes have. Seemed we surprised it while it was dragging a kill back to its den. It punched a hole in a Skrall with its tail, and gave a few more some minor scratches before we hacked it to death. The scratches were fine, but the Skrall that got jabbed started seizing up, couldn't move, could barely even breathe. Surprisingly, he lived. Unlucky for him, as he got transferred to logistics for being the first blood drawn by the South."

• Like 4

IC: Skrall – Caravan

“Economy,” he repeated, chewing on the word like gristle.

It felt somehow foul in his mouth, as foreign and unfamiliar as the concept it represented.

From what he’d heard of the practice, it was certainly a flawed system. But it didn’t feel like a whole answer. The villages of the South were so fundamentally, profoundly different from the ways of the Skrall that to blame their backwards trade practices alone felt… too easy.

Their problems ran so much deeper than that. Their trivial tribal conflicts, their mixed bloodlines and misguided notions of family, their strange insistence on building entire identities around whatever natural resource they happened to be hoarding…

Talk of holes being punched in Skrall pulled him from his introspection and back to the conversation at hand. He listened as the older Skrall completed his tale. These Vorox sounded like formidable combatants.

“These Vorox creatures… I’ve heard it said that some among the Southerners believe them to have once been intelligent, reasoning beings,” he said, “From your encounter, do you think there’s any truth to that?”

@Burnmad @oncertainty

• Like 2

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

He thought quietly for a moment, eyes returning to their previous routine of surveying the land around them. "Dunno," he said, after some moments. "I'm no Sister, I can only see what's in front of me. If they ever had intelligence, they lack it now."

• Like 3

On 4/4/2023 at 10:25 PM, Nato G said:

"This your first tournament?" She asked. 

IC: Luka — Streets of Tajun

The young Glatorian reflexively rubbed the back of his neck.

“Yeah. I’m still new to a lot of this,” Luka replied, “But I’ve been training daily for at least a year now. Just practicing moves and trying to discover new ones”

Luka was starting to calm down. For someone so experienced and athletic, Avinus was chill to talk to. It was a reminder that, at the end of the day, she was just another warrior growing her skills.

The young Glatorian still wished he was a better conversationalist, though. He now began to fear that would come across as boring.

“So Avinus, uh, you got any advice new folks?”

That was a good question to ask, right? Sounds humble. Hopefully doesn’t sound needy. Right?

OOC: @Nato G

• Like 2

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

IC: Avinus - Tajun

"A lotta people will give you a lotta different answers to that question," she replied thoughtfully, "Advice that works great for one warrior might turn out terribly for another. So the answer I always give is to never stop learnin'. People are always out there innovatin', comin' up with new gadgets and tactics. So no matter how good you get, never become complacent." 

@Emzee

• Like 1

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

IC: Luka — Streets of Tajun

The Glatorian couldn’t help smiling at Avinus’ honesty. There was wisdom behind her combat skill — something that could only be gained by actively applying the lessons from her experiences. Not everyone could do that.

I certainly can’t do that well, Luka thought as he bitterly remembered the short list of technical errors that always seemed to make no matter how many drills he did. Luka felt like a slow learner many times throughout his training.

“That might be the best advice I’ve received yet,” Luka said, trying his hardest to sound measured and not gushy.

“I try to keep my abilities fresh, so I’ve been working on this technical slashing move—” Luka was about to show an empty-handed example, but then thought better of it.

“Hmm, I should probably save its public debut for the tournament…”

OOC: @Nato G

• Like 2

"hey girl: here’s an idea, but… it’s up to you:

You’re the boss of this operation."

[BZPRPG Profile] [Ghosts of Bara Magna Profile]

IC: Avinus - Tajun

"It's always best to keep a few tricks to yourself," she said, nodding, "The ones who make it far in the tournament are usually the ones who spend a lotta time watchin', studyin' their upcoming opponents."

@Emzee

• Like 2

IC: Skyra Daring - Tajun -

Skyra stopped the buggy as they arrived at the gates of Tajun. She looked back to see Karak raising a finger. Ah, he was probably not too familiar with the city. As a driver, Skyra had to know everywhere, and everything about everywhere, and how to get to everywhere, and yeah. 

She beckoned Karak to follow her as she slowly started to drive further into the city. Skyra knew the best places to park naturally. She let her car go into autopilot for a moment as she looked at Del. 

"Alright Del, we're here in Tajun. As soon as we're all parked and settled in you want to go looking for Celrys yeah? I know where his workshop is, we'll be there in no time." She gave him a thumbs up.

@Techn0geist @Morgan Yu

• Like 2

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

"And yet, what they do have is not insignificant," Skrall added. "In my experience they are more dangerous than the larger predators, in their way. Evidently, if they were the first to draw Skrall blood in the South. They are well-suited to this—" he gestured all about the chariot. "—an environment in which we are still all too inexperienced."

OOC: @Burnmad @Nato G

IC: Lorqua - Training Ground

Lorqua, watching Lutenus' reaction carefully, saw the Thornax coming. However, she was off-balance from the throw, and his aim was true. She lunged to one side, and stuck her shield into the path of the oncoming fruit. It bounced off the yellow-painted pelte, the shield giving a deep thrum in response to the impact. Not a critical blow, but it knocked her onto her side. Dust flew up from the field as she skidded a short way across the ground. She grunted, spit, and started to scramble to her feet.

OOC: @Toru Nui @Techn0geist

• Like 5

"Best to simply outrun them if we encounter them, then," he said, patting the panelling of the chariot, "There's no sense in us risking injury fighting beasts when triumph at the tournament is our objective."

@oncertainty @Burnmad

• Like 2

IC: Xani (Streets of Atero)

"Thank you, thank you," she said with a smile. "And yes, of course I made it with my very own hands. I have a variety of masks, too, but I feel like this is one of my finest."

It was good that there were some who appreciated true art. But it was a different question if they were willing to pay to acquire it, unfortunately. "If you have the time to spare, you could come with me so I can show you more of my work. And, of course, you can buy some of the crafts if you'd like, for a good price."

If she didn't make any money on this Atero trip, she'd have to pay another visit to the... well, she preferred not to think about it for now.

OOC: @That Matoran with a Vahi@Toru Nui

• Like 2

still alive somehow

BZPRPG profiles

IC: Karak - Tajun Outskirts

She keeps on - I do too. 

The shade and moist air, even as slight a change as they are, cool my thorny temperament. The sprawling streets under the rocks align themselves akin to a granite jungle. I take heed not to become comfortable - to feel familiar in this alien land will lead to my early doom. 

I wait for her to perch her beast, so I may do the same.

OOC: @Snelly@Techn0geist

• Like 5

“No. Sorry, kid, that’s the one thing you can never do.”

BZPRPG Arc 3 Profiles I GOBM Profiles

IC: Lutenus (Outskirts of Atero, Training Ground) - Combustible Lemons

Seizing the opportunity, Lutenus tried to run towards and pounce towards Lorqua, intent on forcing her to yield early.

ACTIVATE.

He wondered why the Great Beings made Thornax the way they were. Were they supposed to explode when they were overripe? What was the inspiration or necessity that made them? What use was there for combustible fruit?

@oncertainty @Techn0geist

IC: Vraek (Streets of Atero) - Somewhere, a Ta-Metruan Mask Maker Is Crying

The Glatorian of Ice was visibly conflicted for a few moments as she weighed her options. “Very well, let me see what you have in stock. This would be purely for personal or ceremonial use of course, not the arena. Something so beautiful is undoubtedly rather delicate, and thus unsuited for combat.” She wanted to make this clear beforehand, in case Xani was hoping to gain free publicity by having a Glatorian of Iconox herself wear one of her masks in the Arena Tajun.

She then paused before adding an addendum. “...Granted, I am far from delicate and beautiful, but that’s a noted exception.” She didn’t want either Xani nor Jeizmel to think she had just implied she thought of herself as ugly and had low self-esteem, you see. This wasn’t insecurity, not at all.

@Daniel the Finlander @That Matoran with a Vahi

IC: Taldrix (Bone Hunter Stronghold, Outside Somnii’s Cell) - Chasing a Ghost

What was she babbling about? There were definitely no Great Beings in the Gatherers. Taldrix would like to think she’d know if-

She hadn’t seen the Ghost. No one had, save Crucius and his flunkies. This pampered child, who was only valuable because of her position HAD! The brat knew more than SHE did! Unacceptable!

Crucius said that she might be permitted to see him if something went wrong with the Aula Agoria. Was it worth jeopardising the item in question just to satiate her curiosity?

Yes, yes, of course it was - but it wasn’t worth her own life, which might outlast her usefulness if the Ghost couldn’t get what they wanted out of her. And lives tended to end just after usefulness did, in her observation. And there was always the possibility that the desert had cooked the little maggot’s brain, and she had been seeing things that weren’t there.

“If the new boss is secretly a Great Being, that’s his business.” The item was right about one thing at least - she didn’t know about the guy in charge, no point denying it. “Far more likely you just imagined it… as you are imagining plans of escape.” There was no point denying that, either. “Between the two, I’d say the Great Being one is more feasible.”

@a goose

Edited by Toru Nui
  • Like 4

IC: Mard & Ahmoa - Training Ground, outskirts of Atero

The referee let out a low whistle as Lorqua deployed her arm prosthesis; though Celrys and his increasingly ubiquitous work still gave him major heebie-jeebies, let alone his potential familial relation to Del, Mard couldn't plainly deny the mad scientist's quality-of-worksmanship. "Must've cost her some real coin for that thing, to say nothing of givin' up a perfectly good arm."

"She must have gotten the leg discounted." Ahmoa's words hung in the air for a long two seconds.

Mard kept his eyes on the fight. "This is why I love you," he replied flatly, doing everything in his power to restrain the laugh brimming up from his belly.

The crimson guard did not often employ humour, but relished the rare moments he did; a sly grin cracked across his face. "Someone has keep you on your toes, darling." He leaned over the fence, and Mard's shoulder. "Look at Lutenus though. So quick to respond, he fights like a man possessed." Neither realised just how right Ahmoa was, but the metal skull-cap with a Cel-Tech maker's mark did give them their suspicions.

Mard saw Lutenus going for the early submission. Did Lorqua have any other tricks up her long sleeve?

IC: Del - Streets of Tajun

The lights of Tajun illuminated Del's face as the buggy passed under them, through the tight and winding city streets. They were mesmerised by the new locale, their eyes finding themselves unable to settle anywhere. A few Water Tribals caught a glimpse of their yellow-orange through the windows and, having heard the rumblings, met their gaze with a mix of perplexity and trepidation.

On 5/16/2023 at 12:06 PM, Snelly said:

"Alright Del, we're here in Tajun. As soon as we're all parked and settled in you want to go looking for Celrys yeah? I know where his workshop is, we'll be there in no time."

Skyra's voice broke the trance, and Del turned to attention. The gesture the driver threw was regarded with curiosity, the Ferrumite's hand slowly curling to replicate it without looking. Their little finger was sticking out.

"Del, I find Celrys," the Glatorian confirmed. "Skyra Daring find Celrys? Karak find Celrys?" the Glatorian queried.

OOC: @Toru Nui @oncertainty @Snelly @Morgan Yu

• Like 4

The Writer Formerly Known as Zeal
BZPRPG Profiles
Ghosts of Bara Magna Profiles

On 5/9/2023 at 4:41 PM, a goose said:

IC: Skrall (The Prison Wagon)

"My comrades weren't killed by witchcraft or hardship. They were killed by Skrall superiority. And if you keep thinking it's treason to admit we aren't invulnerable, you won't last very long in the Wastelands."

OOC: I was hoping that becoming BZPRPG staff would not teach me the habit of perpetually postponing so many posts... and yet...

IC: Skrall [Trail, Roxtus ->Bone Hunter Stronghold, Lead Cart]

Skrall had been content to let the nosy Skrall do all the talking. The story, far from the blunder Skrall had presumed,it would be, actually wound up having useful information for his new fate. He tried his best to not show it, but he was listening throughout.

IC: Atakus [Trail, Roxtus ->Bone Hunter Stronghold, Lead Cart]

"Skrall are not invulnerable," the chariot-driving agori shouted above the rattling wheels. "It is possible to have a lapse in judgement, such as spending more time trading in rumor than in minding your station."

"I had expected our navigator of these wastes to point out that we are nearing our first destination."

He pointed at a mesa to their east, and with a few whips of the Spikit, motivated them to increase their pace as he guided them towards the Bone hunter stronghold. The dunes grew in size further from the sandy riverbed. As if they had entered churning tidewaters instead of a calm lake.

OOC: The important thing is: we're so back. I love all these posts, but let's actually have worlds collide here soon.

Edited by BULiK
  • Like 5

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

IC, Aurax: Precipere

In his mind, Aurax sighed. He knew Tueris had wanted him to do all the talking with the Ash Tribe people, but he wasn't particularly happy about it. He understood why; the Ash Tribe and the Fire Tribe had a bit of a history, so this Somok might not be as agreeable with Tueris as with Aurax.

Finally, he spoke up. "Me, I suppose," he said. "My name's Aurax. As perhaps you've heard, there's been report of some sort of plague going on in Ferrum. I and the others with me are going in to investigate. If you could allow us to pass through your village out to Iron Canyon, it would be most appreciated."

OOC: Apologies for the super late reply  @Nato G @oncertainty @Burnmad @a goose

• Like 2

IC: Somok - Precipere

"Plague?" The Agori's already-haggard features furrowed into a frown, "We only heard that contact had been lost with Ferrum."

This encounter was nowhere near to what he'd dreading. He'd been expecting to see a crimson column of Raanu's rabble rampaging through Precipere with accusations and vitriol, but instead he was facing a mixed group led by an amicable Glatorian of Iron. Somok had been planning to send Xyde and Salwa along to placate the suspicion and anger he'd expected the Fire Agori to throw the Ash Tribe's way. Now, such a strategy seemed both unnecessary, and potentially hazardous to the Ash Tribe as a whole. 

"You may pass freely through our village," Somok said, "But if there is a plague, I can't promise that you'll be permitted to return the same way." 

@~Xemnas~ @oncertainty @Burnmad @a goose

• Like 2

IC: Selamat - Precipere

Standing behind Aurax with the rest of the expedition, Selamat bowed wordlessly to the Ash Tribe's apparent leader. It was not worth questioning the implication that they would not be permitted to pass through on their return trip-- evidently, most of his fellows did not plan on making a return trip. He did, but that was a bridge to be crossed when he reached it.

He turned away and began studying the construction of the building they occupied, hoping that, permission for passage having been attained, they would not waste further time here. People of the Iron Tribe were very likely dying as they stood here.

OOC: @~Xemnas~ @a goose @Nato G @oncertainty

IC: Skrall - Approaching Bone Hunter Stronghold

Skrall snapped to as Atakus called out their fast-approaching destination. While making sure his visible weapons were visible and his concealed weapons were concealed, he spared a glance to the two younger Skrall in the cart. "Here we go, Skrall. My advice: Don't speak unless spoken to. Don't be afraid to return any stares that come your way, though."

As their party neared the mesa, and he completed his self-check, he returned to surveying the sands. Populated did not necessarily mean safe, and the growing intensity of the dunes made for much shorter sight lines.

@Skrall

• Like 5

IC: Skyra Daring - Tajun -

"Absofreakinlutely!" The car was parked into an open parking spot, with room next to the buggy for Karak to park as well. Skyra then leaped over the side of her buggy in a smooth manner and landed on the ground feet first. The driver then stretched a bit.

"I parked close to his workshop. It's not far." Skyra waited for Del and Karak to exit the vehicles before leading the way.

@Techn0geist @Morgan Yu

• Like 2

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

IC: Lorqua - Training Ground

Lutenus bearing down on her fast. She couldn't make a single mistake that he wouldn't capitalize on. Of course, she couldn't be too taken aback about this one: any mistake that ends with you lying flat on your side is a pretty big one. And this was the arena, or at least a reasonable facsimile.

And yet, insofar as this was the arena, this wasn't the wasteland. Certain doors were open that otherwise would not be. She threw her hand back and grabbed on to a fence post. She breathed heavily, appearing more wounded than she was. The moment that Lutenus was almost upon her, she retracted her arm and kept her grip, hurtling out from beneath his grasp. In a moment, she knew she would be standing upright with her back to the fence. A good start.

OOC: @Toru Nui @Techn0geist

IC: Skrall - Outside Bone Hunter Stronghold

Skrall nodded along with the comment, but his eyes were suddenly cast towards the Stronghold rising up from the dunes. "That might just work. We're certainly fast enough to get to our first destination somewhat... more quickly than I expected," he said.

He raised his brows towards the other younger Skrall, as the elder had offered them his advice. Did he think to take them under his wing? Skrall was skeptical. They were all equally naive, where they were going. Age did not equate to experience, here. All the same, he did not offer any criticism openly.

OOC: @Nato G @Burnmad

Edited by oncertainty
  • Like 3

IC: Skrall - Are We There Yet?

Skrall met his companion's upraised eyebrows with the raising of his own, but he too kept his silence.

The elder's advice seemed sound, but Skrall didn't know enough to confirm or condemn its logic. His moment of humiliation earlier that morning had taught him the value of holding his tongue. Conversation was surprisingly like combat in that way, he was swiftly learning. One's words could expose weaknesses, leave the speaker open to counterattack.

A casual conversation with a comrade like the one he'd been engaged in for most of the journey was what he considered a relatively low-stakes encounter, and allowing his vulnerabilities and uncertainties to show had earned him what he hoped to be an earnest ally. But matters of import were best left to those who believed they knew better. Whether they were right or not didn't much matter to Skrall. If they did, then the mission would proceed smoothly. If they didn't, then they would bear the brunt of the punishment for failure.

Despite Skrall's outward stoicism, unbridled excitement bubbled within him. Though the Bone Hunters were little more than a rabble of rogue Rock Agori, their stronghold was still the first, official Southern settlement Skrall was going to get to see.

The mission was about to begin in earnest. 

Edited by Nato G
  • Like 4

Aurax nodded. "Understandable," he said. "We are planning on taking precautions when we get there- if we get there-, which will hypothetically help prevent any of us from catching this plague. If any of us return, we'll hopefully won't be spreading it. But I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there."

The Glatorian stood up and bowed his head respectfully. "We thank you for your hospitality," he said, glancing back to the others. "We should be getting on our way, then."

OOC:  @Nato G @oncertainty @Burnmad @a goose

• Like 3

IC: Tueris (Staff NPC; The Precipice)

"You've really heard nothing? Seen nothing?" Tueris' eye was suspicious, but his tone was not. Though it went against his own advice, he had to ask the question the Ferrumite had overlooked; if they failed to arm themselves with as much information as possible, this expedition would be over before it had even begun.

"We were hoping you might know more than we did. I know you're all pretty isolated, but if anyone would know anything…"

OOC: @Nato G @Burnmad @oncertainty @~Xemnas~

• Like 2

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

"We keep to ourselves, and recycle our metals, so we have even less contact with Ferrum than you do," Somok replied, meeting the one-eyed Glatorian's gaze. "That said, there was a recent incident. A few weeks past, our best Glatorian went out on a hunt, as they often do, but this time they didn't return."

He knew it was a risk, admitting that Precipere was all but undefended. But the situation in Ferrum clearly appeared to be Vulcanus' priority, and though there was plenty of bad blood between the tribes of Ash and Fire, the latter had never historically shown any interest in eradicating or invading the former. 

"We found their remains days later, picked over by predators. When I heard contact had been lost with Ferrum, I wondered if it was connected, if perhaps some new creature had taken up residence in the canyon... but if you say a plague is what has afflicted Ferrum then our losses are likely unrelated."   

It was almost disappointing, in truth. If the deaths of Behjen and the others had been related to Ferrum's fate then at least there would be some one or thing to blame. A threat that could be identified, destroyed, or avoided. But Somok had lived long enough to know that not everything was part of some grand coincidence or conspiracy. The canyons were dangerous, and even the most capable of warriors could grow complacent. Sometimes a hunting accident was just that.

"Still... might I ask how and what you know of this plague? If this threat still exists, I want to protect my people from it." 

@a goose @~Xemnas~ @Burnmad @oncertainty

• Like 2

"We don't know for sure that there even is a plague." Tueris stroked his chin absently, and allowed the silence to linger while he gathered his thoughts.

"Raanu met with a Bone Hunter, who claimed he and some others found the Iron Tribe leader half-dead from this 'plague' in Iron Canyon. Only word about it came from them, and since they burned the poor girl's body to a crisp after she 'succumbed,' we don't even have any evidence – 'sides a charred corpse – to back their story up. So, you see our issue."

OOC: @Nato G @~Xemnas~ @Burnmad @oncertainty

Edited by a goose
  • Like 2

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

IC: Selamat - Precipere

You didn't think to tell us that before we departed?

He said it in his head. It was an impressive exercise of restraint on his part - the shock of the news nearly activated his implants. But that restraint was for naught, unfortunately; the way his gaze snapped instantly from Somok to Tueris left no doubt that this was the group's first time hearing the information that Tueris had just related so casually.

They'd been told there was a plague waiting for them, they'd even been told that the information came from the Bone Hunters. But the knowledge that the Bone Hunters had found the Iron Tribe's leader - alive, even - and delivered her charred remains to Vulcanus? It changed the situation drastically. Had Tueris planned to tell them this if Somok hadn't brought it up? If this was 'need to know' information, they had needed to know.

Selamat remained silent, but his eyes were boring a hole in the back of Tueris' head. There would be a discussion about this later, when they were not among strangers.

Edited by Burnmad
  • Like 3

The old Agori let out a derisive snort as Tueris gave his explanation.

His laugh only deepened as he saw the way the other Fire Glatorian reacted to the older one's words. 

He was half-tempted to make some derisive remark about the gullibility of the Fire Tribe, but the mere fact that this expedition was here conducting their own investigation meant they at least weren't blindly accepting the Bone Hunter's story. 

"I think we can all agree that the word of Skopio scat snorting savages is... dubious, at best. Especially ones stupid enough to admit to burning the evidence," he said, scoffing. "I don't envy the task that lies ahead of you."

@a goose @Burnmad @~Xemnas~ @oncertainty

• Like 2

Aurax's brow furrowed. The thought of Ferrum's leader being deceased was... disconcerting to him. He would think more on it later; there was still the task at hand to focus on.

"Burning the evidence is, admittedly, suspicious," he said. "A plague is a strange story to make up, though."

OOC:  @Nato G @oncertainty @Burnmad @a goose

• Like 3

IC: Karak - Tajun Streets (En Route to Celrys)

I come to a halt beside her - smooth as I may manage.

The word - "Father" - from before is what I assume the two's destination to be...and woe as I am to waste precious time accompanying them for no benefit to my own goal, I am alone in this city without Skyra. I'll ask for guidance to this "arena" after she escorts her quarry. I can acquaint myself with the surroundings in the mean time. I remind myself that the Skrall are tourists here as much as I am...so perhaps knowledge of this place is more a boon than usual.

"These people...here for arena?" I gesticulate around myself - the crowds passing by our steeds.

OOC: @Snelly@Techn0geist

Edited by Morgan Yu
  • Like 3

“No. Sorry, kid, that’s the one thing you can never do.”

BZPRPG Arc 3 Profiles I GOBM Profiles

IC: Jeizmel, Streets of Atero

"I confess I didn't bring a fortune with me; but I'll certainly buy something small, at the very least."

She had some money, after all. Like she'd said, it wasn't exactly a fortune, and she should probably really be saving most of it for supplies and lodging for as long as she was going to be moving around... but this was a special case. Not only was it helping to support a fellow tribeswoman, one who was of a like mind to herself no less, but having a little pendant or such to carry around with her, displaying this beautiful, intricate purity, would be a constant reminder of everything that she stood for; it would be perfect.

And, as she'd told Vraek just before Xani had arrived, she was confident she could earn her own keep as they travelled, enough to make back whatever she spent here; an odd-jobs woman like her, surely, could always find something that she could do.

She hid a little grin behind one hand as Vraek made sure to clarify that the idea of things of beauty being delicate didn't apply to herself. Perhaps the Glatorian hadn't meant it specifically to be humorous - hence, hiding her reaction, since she had no intention to offend - but it certainly was enough to amuse Jeizmel a small amount.

Though not that she would have thought otherwise of Vraek, even without the clarification.

@Daniel the Finlander @Toru Nui

• Like 2

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Not stupid, he thought; Brazen.

Isolation and enmity had blinded the Ash Tribe leader, but Tueris saw a cunning in the actions of the Bone Hunter. As he'd heard it, Raanu knew Somnii's family well – hearing the Hunter's story, seeing her body laid out before him in that state, it felt like a calculated move. Raanu was a wise man with a nose for danger, and he'd been raising red flags about recent changes in Bone Hunter activity. Tueris couldn't help but wonder if that had made him a target.

On top of that, if the Bone Hunter was lying, they were walking through ****** and straight into a trap; if he wasn't, the same held true, and he got rid of the only person that could've told them not to. Either way, instead of guarding caravans and travelers, Glatorian from all over were off on an arduous journey to their near-certain demise, just in time for the busiest season the roads ever see. Great business for slavers.

He looked to Aurax. "It's strange, alright. On that much we agree. And as for the Bone Hunters…"

He trained his eye upon Somok, a new harshness in his expression. "It's easy to dismiss as savagery what we don't understand. You may not think much of Raanu, and I can hardly blame you, but I actually know him. He's a great man, and a wise leader; if he takes the Bone Hunters seriously, then so do I."

Seriously as a threat, or as a source, he felt no need to clarify. To his mind, they were the same thing.

OOC: @~Xemnas~ @Nato G @oncertainty @Burnmad

• Like 2

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

"It's easy to dismiss as savagery what we don't understand."

Despite the harsh note in Tueris' tone, those words were enough to cut off whatever dismissive retort Somok had been readying. There was wisdom in them, wisdom that the Fire Tribe of old had lacked... that perhaps Somok himself was lacking... 

"...if he takes the Bone Hunters seriously, then so do I."

"Then so shall we," he replied, making a mental note to inform the guards of the new developments as soon as he was done here. "I won't keep you any longer. A scout and a healer from our tribe were willing to join you when I spoke with them yesterday, but in light of today's revelations, I'll leave it to them to decide if they want to accompany you. If, indeed, you even want their company." 

@a goose @~Xemnas~ @oncertainty @Burnmad

• Like 2

IC/ Skrall/ Stronghold imminent

Skrall glanced toward their destination as well, but only briefly. She’d seen it before, and Atakus had it well in focus. So instead she began to scan the landscape off to their right. 

“Eyes up. Check where you look.” She said, to encourage the others to do the same and keep all other angles covered. 

The tops of the larger dunes made for good cover. Good for bone hunter scouts. Also good for an ambush. Maybe it was Ex-Skrall’s story fresh in the back of her mind that had her particularly weary of the possibility. Relaxing now would be a mistake.

She had mulled it over as the others spoke. He said ‘slashed’. By blade or by claw?

The respective wounds would look different, even at a glance.

Either way, slashed meant close range. Which in turn meant someone - or several someones - had managed to get close enough to a group of Skrall without being spotted and were skilled enough to dispatch them all. There were many in the wastes that could fight well enough to survive, but to do this? She definitely ruled out Vorox. They might be formidable ambush predators - but they couldn’t have killed them all without a trace and gotten away without incurring losses. There was simply no way.

Was it possible then that there were Glatorian capable of this level of stealth and brutal efficiency? Or had it been someone - something else?

If there had been more time, maybe she could have determined as much by questioning their cargo. But with the hunter’s fortress ahead, time had run out. From here on out, they would need to stay alert and not take chances on the road.

Regardless, it all led to the lesson her other companions’ stories amounted to: ignorance rarely went unpunished - and hubris was lethal.

Skrall superiority was not an immutable truth of the universe. It didn’t take the ‘witchcraft’ of the sisters to realize as much. Just as they had to maintain and hone their bodies to fight, they would have to hone their minds and add to their knowledge to stay ahead down south. 

OOC: @skrall @BULiK @a goose

• Like 6

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

IC: Somnii (Bone Hunter Stronghold; Somnii's Cell)

The new boss?

"You don't believe I imagined it." It was a guess, but an educated one – something in the Bone Hunter's reaction spoke more to shock than disbelief. Somnii's tone had shifted, now; it was more gentle, more conversational, perhaps even sympathetic. "You don't know for sure, and we both know at least some people have seen him. That means he's keeping his inner circle sworn to secrecy, and hiding himself from the rest. Why, then? Why doesn't he want you to know what he looks like?"

OOC: @Toru Nui

• Like 2

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

IC: Del - Streets of Tajun

Leaving the buggy, Del turned slowly and took in the sights of their new locale, the sounds, the sensations. Immediately they noted the air was thicker with humidity than Atero, if only just. They took in a deep breath, filling their lungs with it. Cool, fresh.

<<Optimal.>>

They along with Karak followed Skyra through the winding crevasses and bustling crowds of Tajun, the stone above separating street from sight of stars, their eyes darting from head to head and making a dozen threat assessments a second. The moisture of the oasis settling on Del's iron skin stirred something almost like familiarity, but nothing more than a fleeting feeling.

On 5/30/2023 at 6:12 AM, Morgan Yu said:

"These people...here for arena?"

Del's command of spoken word had not yet extended to a distinction between proper and common. They turned to their crimson companion. "Del, I find Celrys. Karak... find Arena?" A pause for processing. "He's Karak's father I suppose?" The weight of the word 'father' had yet to be felt by the Ferrumite.

OOC: @Snelly @Morgan Yu

Edited by Techn0geist
  • Like 4

The Writer Formerly Known as Zeal
BZPRPG Profiles
Ghosts of Bara Magna Profiles

IC: Lutenus (Outskirts of Atero, Training Ground) - The Best Defense Is a Good Fence

Target was now upright against the fence. DEACTIVATE. Lutenus had to regain control for a moment, if only to ensure he did not inadvertently have his axe chop through the arena’s barrier and thus damage their host’s property. He swung his axe in a way that wouldn’t endanger the fence and probably wouldn’t seriously damage Lorqua. Probably.

@oncertainty @Techn0geist

IC: Taldrix (Bone Hunter Stronghold, Outside Somnii’s Cell) - Big Mouth

“Maybe he’s really, really ugly.” The fact that she was holding a conversation with the item was now becoming a bit of a problem. It made the Gatherers - and her - look weak. If not for Crucius’ explicit instructions, she would have had someone beat the attitude out of her several times over, if not do it herself.

“You should pray I don’t find out what he looks like. Because the only way I’m allowed to see him is if you are dead or dying.”

Oh #### she should not have said that-

@a goose

Edited by Toru Nui
  • Like 3