Seeking An Image Of The Prototype Baterra

Makuta_of_Oz

I recently asked LEGO if they had a photo of their prototype of the baterra set that nearly got released in 2010. They couldn't supply an image, but they did suggest looking in blogs and forums. So I decided to ask here: does anyone have any photos of the prototype, or any clues as to how I could find one?

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

If you can prove that the Baterra was a planned 2010 set, then I'm sure you'd also be able to prove there was a prototype. I've never heard of either being in existance. Ever.sig.pngediteljay.png Add on to that the fact that if they made a prototype, not only would we somehow get pictures, but it would more than likely be a set. I currently can't think of a set that has a prototype, and not been made. Not to mention that the Baterra weren't even a big part of the story, OR that the only planned sets in 2010 were the Stars, and you have right there a non-exsistant prototype. Unless you can get proof that they had planned a Baterra set, I can't imagine pictures of one.

Edited by Eljay: Toa of Mangosteen

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Three Virtues | Eljay: The Becoming | BioCraft: Chronicles

Go give a read to an amazing epic,

Seven Lives... Two Faces, written by Kini Hawkeye!

Fall And Rise Of The Skrall has VERY detailed baterra art!Plus, when I asked LEGO about getting that photo, they said nothing about the prototype not existing.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Fall And Rise Of The Skrall has VERY detailed baterra art!Plus, when I asked LEGO about getting that photo, they said nothing about the prototype not existing.

Fall and rise of the skrall? whats that?

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Fall and rise of the skrall? whats that?
Fall and Rise of the Skrall is a comic included in the eighth graphic novel Legends of Bara Magna.BS01 PageI have never heard of a prototype Baterra set. I hope you can find an image, Makuta_of_Oz. Edited by Fantasia

Chances are, you got someone who had no clue what a Battera was. The only pictures we have of the Baterra are those of the comics. Otherwise, no. Prototypes wouldn't have been made for 2010 if as far as they got before Bionicle was cancelled was the story planning. Basicly, there are no pictures of any sort of prototype set of the Battera. Never have, nor will be. If there is something that can prove me wrong, then you're gonna be hard pressed to find them.sig.png

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No image exists so far as any person here has access to. That is a simple fact.)Should the prototypes exist (regardless of how far into the prototype stage they are - it is still possible for them to have been made, Eljay), your one and only way of seeing them is to contact the illustrators directly and inquire as to their source for the project. Nobody else can help you.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

If LEGO neither confirms nor denies that there was, at one point, a prototype Baterra set, this does not automatically mean there was or was not one. You just can't assume anything one way or another without more information.The last planned line was in 2009. The Stars were hastily designed and produced for the fans, partly upon the urging of Binkmeister, a.k.a. Kelly. We were lucky to get them in the first place.Also, there have been plenty of characters that look like they may have been sets but were not. Artists do not have to have a set form in front of them to draw that character - heck, concept art is usually enough to whittle a final form from.

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

No image exists so far as any person here has access to. That is a simple fact.)Should the prototypes exist (regardless of how far into the prototype stage they are - it is still possible for them to have been made, Eljay), your one and only way of seeing them is to contact the illustrators directly and inquire as to their source for the project. Nobody else can help you.~|ET|~

True, but 2010 wasn't a year that the set/artists had much time to construct anything for the Battera, I'd believe. Like Sumiki said, the Stars were basicly all that were composed and worked on. To me, this seems like a case of Ahkmou, who was planned as a 2008 set. I heard that the plans were scrapped, so this may be the case here as well. Regardless, I personally doubt they'd even go so far as to make prototypes, but alas, I may be mistaken.sig.png

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

Chances are, you got someone who had no clue what a Battera was. The only pictures we have of the Baterra are those of the comics. Otherwise, no. Prototypes wouldn't have been made for 2010 if as far as they got before Bionicle was cancelled was the story planning. Basicly, there are no pictures of any sort of prototype set of the Battera. Never have, nor will be. If there is something that can prove me wrong, then you're gonna be hard pressed to find them.sig.png
Greg once said that each year's story is based around the sets released that year, so that would likely mean the set design process comes before the story is created, most likely because LEGO sells toys, not stories, making the sets more important.

Greg once said that each year's story is based around the sets released that year, so that would likely mean the set design process comes before the story is created, most likely because LEGO sells toys, not stories, making the sets more important.
Weither there were any prototypes or not, the pictures don't exsist. They either never exsisted, or have been scrapped long ago, with Ahkmou.sig.png

lazy_life_3.0_banner.png

• 3 weeks later...

i have looked every were for a battera pic only found some mocs of them so if there is a pic of one i don't think it has been leaked. but as makuta of oz said the books are based off the sets because sometimes they make last minute changes so Greg has to change part of the book because of the sets so makes since that there may very well be some pic some were on the world wide web so you never know

one day this will contain greatness only the best. But take this with the ocean of salt then you will know what to expect from this

I recently asked LEGO if they had a photo of their prototype of the baterra set that nearly got released in 2010. They couldn't supply an image, but they did suggest looking in blogs and forums. So I decided to ask here: does anyone have any photos of the prototype, or any clues as to how I could find one?

You should know that if you want any other prototype images I would strongly suggest going to BMP (tronec.org/BMP)

You should know that if you want any other prototype images I would strongly suggest going to BMP (tronec.org/BMP)
FYI, Hakann, those aren't 'prototype images' they're concept art.But, as everyone else said, AFAIK there are no pictures of the Battera, whether the prototype was made or not, than you could gain access to. Sorry.- Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

As I recall, at some point Greg mentioned that he briefly saw a prototype Baterra set at a meeting in Denmark. However, he couldn't recall it's appearance, and I think he mentioned that the baterra in the comic wasn't based on the prototype at all. I'm guessing there aren't any images on the web.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

As I recall, at some point Greg mentioned that he briefly saw a prototype Baterra set at a meeting in Denmark. However, he couldn't recall it's appearance, and I think he mentioned that the baterra in the comic wasn't based on the prototype at all. I'm guessing there aren't any images on the web.

*jawdrop*thanks for the info.

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

Hmm, then maybe the baterra we saw in the comics was the final product? :o

Hmm, then maybe the baterra we saw in the comics was the final product? :o
possible...

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

II think Greg said that the artists just made up the Baterra image for the comic.

Then how did they design the helmet?Either way, I find his hard to believe because of the high level of detail in the baterra in Fall And Rise Of The Skrall.

He said that the artists just made up how the Baterra look for the comic.Key words: made up.AKA created, by themselves, from scratch Any way they wanted them to look. Artistic license goes a long way.-Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

He said that the artists just made up how the Baterra look for the comic.Key words: made up.AKA created, by themselves, from scratch Any way they wanted them to look.Artistic license goes a long way.-Mesonak

You don't have to get hostile, Mesonak. I'm just saying that the amazing detail they put into them in FaRotS makes that hard to believe.

He said that the artists just made up how the Baterra look for the comic.Key words: made up.AKA created, by themselves, from scratch Any way they wanted them to look.Artistic license goes a long way.-Mesonak

You don't have to get hostile, Mesonak. I'm just saying that the amazing detail they put into them in FaRotS makes that hard to believe.
?I'm sorry if I sounded hostile; that's not how I feel. Was just letting my thoughts on the matter be known. Sorry if I sounded agitated. :/Valid point, but that tends to happen when somebody's given free reign over designing something. They let their creativity flow when designing something, and it has potential to be well done (as we saw in that comic).-Mesonak Edited by Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

There are several Southern Continent Matoran that would like a word with you.Also from what I can see, there isn't a lot of detail put into them, at least in terms of the design. They're humanoid things with roundish armor that has spikes which, if they're based on anything, look like they're based on Hero Factory armor pieces. Their blue "skeleton" has none of the little details that other characters do, like the pin holes or textures from their real-life counterparts.It could be that those pieces were originally going to be used for some Baterra set, but if that's the case then I think the artists were working from very early prototype designs, or maybe even just vague descriptions. If at all.

OpAXNpl.jpg

There are several Southern Continent Matoran that would like a word with you.Also from what I can see, there isn't a lot of detail put into them, at least in terms of the design. They're humanoid things with roundish armor that has spikes which, if they're based on anything, look like they're based on Hero Factory armor pieces. Their blue "skeleton" has none of the little details that other characters do, like the pin holes or textures from their real-life counterparts.It could be that those pieces were originally going to be used for some Baterra set, but if that's the case then I think the artists were working from very early prototype designs, or maybe even just vague descriptions. If at all.

You seem not to have taken a very careful look at all the scenes in which the Baterra appear. Even if they're not based on actual prototype models that were intended to become sets, the artist took great care to make sure they resembled sets, using lots of existing pieces like 54177, 57543, 57563, 60895, and 60896. Details like pin holes are removed from some of these but the basis is obvious, especially in close-up panels like the one where Stronius smashes a Baterra.Of course, the possibility that the artist (Christian Zanier) could have come up with this design entirely on his own is not far-fetched. Previously, in "Hydraxon's Tale", he had drawn some Takea that, while not obviously buildable, were stylistically consistent with Pridak's set design in several ways. The only thing that makes a physical model much more likely to have existed in the case of the Baterra is the fact that they appear in both Christian Zanier's illustrations for "Fall and Rise of the Skrall" and Stuart Sayger's illustrations for "All Our Sins Remembered". But frankly, Sayger's sketchy style is so abstracted from the physical models that he could have easily simply based his Baterra on Zanier's illustrations.All in all, the main way to learn the truth about what the Baterra in "Fall and Rise of the Skrall" were based on is to specifically request information and/or pictures from Christian Zanier, the illustrator. But beyond that there are likely no options. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

You seem not to have taken a very careful look at all the scenes in which the Baterra appear. Even if they're not based on actual prototype models that were intended to become sets, the artist took great care to make sure they resembled sets, using lots of existing pieces like 54177, 57543, 57563, 60895, and 60896. Details like pin holes are removed from some of these but the basis is obvious, especially in close-up panels like the one where Stronius smashes a Baterra.
Actually yeah the only ones I saw were on wiki pages for Baterra, and they didn't have those details.So anyway.Pretty cool-looking, wouldn't say they look too much like something that would be a set, though. Especially coming after the Glatorian.

OpAXNpl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

To quote BS01:The baterra are a group of violent, mechanical shapeshifting entities created by the Great Beings.Emphasis on "shapeshifting"

To quote BS01:In their default form, Baterra armor is silver in color.Emphasis on "default form" :PWhen not trying to shapeshift, baterra take on a particular form; the form they were in when the Great Beings built them, I believe. Edited by Makuta_of_Oz