what purpose do the ranks serve?

confused piraka

They aren't much but, they're mostly a show of commitment for being active. Premier members are allowed to show unique images (provided from bzpower themselves) The honorific Premier Member name rank is also a royal purple color and it is given by donating a small ammount of money to the website and you get those benefits that las a few months equal to the ammount you paid.

• 2 months later...

We used to have a few fun systems of friendly competition. The ranks were a cool way of “progressing through” the Bionicle story and encourage posting in on-topic areas of the forum.

We also used to have a protodermis bar that functioned similar to a morality system in RPGs. You started with the bar at half, or neutral, and could lose or gain up to 5 (I think? It’s been a long time) boosts or losses to the bar, for alternately doing good deeds for the server and misbehaving. Once the bar emptied, you were banned. When it filled, you gained the Outstanding BZPower Citizen role, which would change your name to orange, and could be flourished with a premier membership.

• Upvote 1

image.png.c80b02daebe0faa6146a8dfce1ccb188.png

"This spot marks our grave; but you may rest here too, if you like."

7 minutes ago, Crimson Jester said:

When it filled, you gained the Outstanding BZPower Citizen role, which would change your name to orange, and could be flourished with a premier membership.

You also only had to wait 30 days between name changes, as opposed to 45 for premier members and 90 for non-premier, if I remember correctly.

Just now, Bambi said:

You also only had to wait 30 days between name changes, as opposed to 45 for premier members and 90 for non-premier, if I remember correctly.

I believe you’re correct; that sounds exactly right! Thanks for filling the gaps I left haha

• Like 1

image.png.c80b02daebe0faa6146a8dfce1ccb188.png

"This spot marks our grave; but you may rest here too, if you like."

On 5/11/2023 at 1:14 AM, Crimson Jester said:

We also used to have a protodermis bar that functioned similar to a morality system in RPGs.

I believe the new forum software has something to do with that. Like how the rank images no longer show except on profiles, the protodermis bar is probably just not visible, but the system still seems to be in place at least. You and others still have the OBC rank. Unless of course that's just a carry over from the old forum. Someone more familiar with the workings of the forum would have to confirm.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 6:16 PM, Taria Pakari said:

I believe the new forum software has something to do with that. Like how the rank images no longer show except on profiles, the protodermis bar is probably just not visible, but the system still seems to be in place at least. You and others still have the OBC rank. Unless of course that's just a carry over from the old forum. Someone more familiar with the workings of the forum would have to confirm.

I could definitely be mistaken but I think the OBC title and Proto system was all manual changes staff made to users profiles, I don't think they were connected with any sort of automatic system. Way back when I first became a premier member, I remember having to talk to someone about getting my proto/rank changes associated with it.

IIRC submitting news that ended up on the front page and I think winning some contests was the most common way to gain proto, though I think I also got a boost from reporting someone way back in the day that I found out was causing shenanigans pretending to be two separate people :P  

--Akaku: Master of Flight

• Like 1

"I've brushed with death so often I should start giving him high-fives while I pass."

Recent Work: Return to Forum (2024)
Friend's works: Terrible Comics (2016) | The Guardians of Gevra Nui (2017) | Reborn (2016)
Older Work: The Legends of Taladi Nui (2017)

yeah the proto stuff was definitely all manual. besides the premier stuff, i also got proto one time for going sicko mode and reporting every rule-breaking post i could find on like the comedies board or something. got rewarded for my snitching. i tried doing the same thing again a couple times after, but i never got any more proto out of it.

i also feel like i might have lost proto at some point? don't remember.

when i was a kid becoming an obzpc was one of my big goals. never wound up swinging it.

• Upvote 1

man remember when no one would dream of making a forum site without signatures

that was tight