Rich Text Editor Problem

BBBBalta

I'm experiencing a rather irritating problem whenever I change the formatting in the Rich Text Editor. If, for example, I put something in italics, then change it back to normal text, and then press backspace to remove a typo, the insertion point jumps back to the end of the italicized text and I end up deleting several letters of text that I didn't want to delete.A similar problem also seems to happen sporadically when I press enter to begin a new line - I press backspace and the insertion point jumps to the beginning of the line, deleting the "enter" and placing the text on the previous line. This usually happens when changing the formatting of the new line, though it sometimes happens when I continue typing normally, though usually when the format for the entirety of the post has been changed from the default.I assume this is just a bug in the software and that there's no real solution. Anyone else have this trouble?:t::b::3:

Q2TtLEz.png

I have a hunch, which could be way off, and I can only hope that I don't wind up embarrassing myself.By what method do you change the text to italics and back? Do you use Ctrl+i, or do you click on the italic.png? I can, I believe, recreate your first problem by holding Ctrl+Backspace, so if you use the first method, you may be holding down the Ctrl button accidentally while hitting Backspace.Your second problem has been difficult to recreate. I am not sure of what is going on, only that I have not experienced it yet.

The second problem could actually be caused by an overly sensitive touch-pad; at least, that was what I found once. I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at though...

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

If you're using the italics button that's available (instead of using the ctrl + i method), I've noticed on this site and others (such as Wikia) that it sometimes won't register or changes something else. Not just the italics, but for the bold, underline, strikethrough, and lists as well.As such, I've taken to simply using the keyboard methods when possible, since the problem doesn't really arise that way. Other than that, I haven't found any solutions except patience in waiting for it to work properly. -ibrow

The problem occurs regardless of whether I'm using keyboard shortcuts or the italics button, but only when used to switch to italics before typing the words I want to be italicized. The second portion of the problem appears to be the same issue, ie when I change the formatting of the new line, type, and then press backspace it jumps back to the text with different formatting. I know for certain that I am not pressing Ctrl+Backspace.

Q2TtLEz.png

I had this problem, too, but it stopped ever since I switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox. What browser are you running?Anyway, when I had Explorer I fixed the problem by going into the BBCode mode (click the little light switch button at the top left). When I switched over, I saw that the code was a complete mess. If you know BBCode well, you could just type out your message in the BBCode mode with the proper tags and everything. If you don't know it well enough, try typing out your entire message in the BBCode mode, and then switch back and start formatting it.If you aren't that familiar with BBCode, you can also find some common BBCode tags here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I'm using Google Chrome. And I prefer BBCode, but there's no buttons for it...(@staff) are there any plans to change that?

I do not believe it is possible to change, at least not in 3.2.x. IPB may choose to improve the simple text mode in a later release, but it is unlikely. Edited by -Windrider-

Hmm, it's probably a bug with the editor rather than something with your browser, then. Although you could still type in code mode since most of the functions are super basic and easy to remember. The only exceptions are the fonts, colors, and emotes, which you can just switched back to for.Also, don't use your tab key, it screws with the program. That could help as well.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I have this problem all the time on Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome, both when I use the buttons on the "dashboard" and Ctrl + I/U/B/etc. I'm not sure why it happens, but it can get pretty annoying at times. I get the second problem to, albeit on lesser occasion. I'm assuming its just a bug with this version of InvisionBoard, but I also have seen other forums that run the same software yet do not have the problems that I experience here.There is also a possibly unrelated problem in which the font/text color will switch/turn off when you use the arrow keys to navigate paragraphs. Another common fault is that it will look like it is properly formatted, but after you hit post it reverts to the default font.(ironically, i just got that new paragraph backspace when typing this post. interesting.)EDIT: (double irony; that middle paragraph fell victim to the "looks properly formatted but reverts after you hit post". and another new paragraph backspace error while typing this edit. triple irony, perhaps?)

Edited by #kahinuva

Do any of you have a similar problem when attempting to post on other forums with a rich text editor? I haven't had this problem on any other forums, but none of those used a rich text editor, so I don't know. I was just wondering if it's a bug with BZPower or with the forum software.-don't touch my pocket protector

joehalobanner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It might be that the text is for some reason accidentally highlighted. I've noticed this is a very good possibility for those who use laptops; as I've run into a similar problem a lot in the last week or so, and not just here(And not just on a RTE either)... Basically, what's happening to me, is that it's accidentally highlighting a lot of stuff, and then when I hit backspace or even an actual key to start typing again, it erases everything.The reason I think this is similar to the problem mentioned, is that I can't get the text back from the browser-built undo function; but I can through the RTE's new undo function, which is kinda odd. But, it looks to either be just a bug, or a laptop accident.

I have actually encountered the problem you're talking about. It has happened while using a desktop (my own and a friend's), laptop, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari too. It only happens on BZPower, though, and not all of the time. While I like to have everything typed out before I format anything, there are occasions when something needs to be edited, and that's when the issue shows up. Looking at some of the responses to this topic, I'm led to believe this is a strictly BZPower-related problem.-Ced

The problem occurs regardless of whether I'm using keyboard shortcuts or the italics button, but only when used to switch to italics before typing the words I want to be italicized. The second portion of the problem appears to be the same issue, ie when I change the formatting of the new line, type, and then press backspace it jumps back to the text with different formatting. I know for certain that I am not pressing Ctrl+Backspace.

Here is what I suggest (and yes it is going to sound incredibly stupid but it is the stupid things that are always avoided there for since it has not been tried it may work)Install fire fox if that does not work use nightfall if that does not work use opera if that does not work use internet explorerP.S You may want to look at you control panel it has stuff about short cut keys ( I would probably do this first)

Here is what I suggest (and yes it is going to sound incredibly stupid but it is the stupid things that are always avoided there for since it has not been tried it may work)Install fire fox if that does not work use nightfall if that does not work use opera if that does not work use internet explorerP.S You may want to look at you control panel it has stuff about short cut keys ( I would probably do this first)

Well, Cederak says that the problem persists for him on Firefox, Chrome, and IE, and Opera can be sluggish (where IE is just plain disliked almost universally).As for shortcuts, Toa Balta #3 is certain that he is not pressing any shortcuts or keys.What I'd like to know most of all is whether this is only an occasional issue or if it occurs consistently, as I've had similar problems very sporadically.~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

Well, it's only happened about ten to twenty percent of the time for me, so I'd say that it seems like a problem with your computer or even the way that you type quite possibly.~ BioGio

Well, it's only happened about ten to twenty percent of the time for me, so I'd say that it seems like a problem with your computer or even the way that you type quite possibly.~ BioGio

It is an effective combination of formatting things with italics using the Rich Text Editor and pressing the Backspace key after switching back to regular text. I am addicted to the Backspace key. Hence the problem.