Doctor Who. Official!

CYYYYYBBBBBBBEEEEEERRRRRRMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNN! Looks like Lewa 2015 is on his way early. :P Anyway, In The Forest of the Night was another Listen. Building up to something big and spooky, but ultimately a bit disappointing. The return of the new-new Cybermen next episode does have me excited, though. I'm just wondering if they're Mondas Cybermen from the Cyber Legions, or just dead Cybermen which have been resurrected by Missy and co. to act as guards in the Nethersphere or something.

• Upvote 2

VBWj75sh.png

I liked Forest, although it did drag a lot. Unlike Listen, they did actually explain everything. I was very satisfied, and they had some really neat lines in there ("The forest is humanity's nightmare", "I want to see the things in front of me more clearly" and the like). That finale looks awesome though, yeah :D

CYBERMEN AND THEY'RE ACTUALLY GONNA CYBER ABOUT AND BE SCARY IM SO EXCITED :D

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

i decided to give Series 8 a try after skipping a majority of Series 7 and was immediately greeted with a ridiculously inaccurate Tyrannosaurus almost as tall as Big Ben.

I have never been disappointed so quickly.

It's as if they thought the first episode wouldn't have been good enough without a totally superfluous dinosaur that added almost nothing to the story. (And this season doesn't get much better, IMO. There are a few good episodes, but if you disliked 7, I think you would have a hard time liking this one.)

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

i decided to give Series 8 a try after skipping a majority of Series 7 and was immediately greeted with a ridiculously inaccurate Tyrannosaurus almost as tall as Big Ben.

I have never been disappointed so quickly.

It's as if they thought the first episode wouldn't have been good enough without a totally superfluous dinosaur that added almost nothing to the story. (And this season doesn't get much better, IMO. There are a few good episodes, but if you disliked 7, I think you would have a hard time liking this one.)

I think Capaldi singlehandedly saves every episode; the season would be a lot weaker if he wasn't there.

The problem with In the Forest of the Night was that it was made into a TV episode. The writer of that episode wrote sequels to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...

Who knows who the next head writer of Doctor Who will be? I just do not want Moffet to be a part of Doctor Who anymore.

He's been a writer or co-writer for 'Deep Breath', 'Into the Dalek', 'Listen', 'Time Heist' and 'The Caretaker' so far, and I must say that 'Deep Breath' and 'The Caretaker' are two of the most terrible episodes that I have ever witnessed.

Moffet has had his time. He invented two of the most iconic aliens of the new series (The Angels and The Silence), and some of the best episodes (Empty Child, Impossible Astronaut, Blink, Girl in the Fireplace). But he's done nothing to entertain me since the end of Series 7 Part 1. There was not a single good episode in the second part of Series 7, the 50th Anniversary was okay but scandalous who Davidson, C. Baker and McCoy weren't even asked to have any role whatsoever, and Matt Smith's exit in what I like to call 'the Loose End Christmas Special' was absolutely awful.

I love Doctor Who. My dad watched it as a child and he watched the Eccleston episodes with me. Amazing episodes! But now the good name of Doctor Who is being ruined by a careless, incompetent writer.

I can take one positive from Series 8 and that is Jamie Mathieson. His two episodes were a shining light in the swamp of Series 8. He is a good writer, let's hope we see more of him.

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

I'll most certainly use that link.

As for Impossible Astronaut, I enjoyed the Silence and the method that the Doctor used to defeat the Silence. It was lost in series build-up, I grant you, but it was better than many other episodes.

And yeah, Series 6 was a pile of rubbish, especially Let's Kill Hitler and the Peg Doll episodes <_<

index.jpg

Yes! I knew the Master would come back! Admittedly, not as a woman, but still, it only made sense; at the end of The End of Time, he was sucked back into the Time War alongside Rassilon and the other members of the High Council, and then in TDOTD, the Doctor saved Gallifrey, thus making the return of the Master possible. What I'm intrigued to know, however, is how he got out of the pocket dimension, although I can see why he might have had to regenerate. I mean, he wasn't really in a very good state at the end of TEOT: doctor_who_2005the_waters_of_mar-7-docto I'm wondering where the Cyberman idea came from though. And also, aren't Cybermen made from human brain+robot suit? Not human skeleton+robot suit?  :notsure: 

VBWj75sh.png

That brings up the question whether these cybermen are Mondasian (classic), Cybus (new series), or Mondasian-Cybus cybermen (Nightmare in Silver.) Probably the latter given they look the same, so I imagine the 'dark water' also contains a bunch of cybermites.

Also look like last week's trailer also applies to next week.

@CHTrilogy: So the Master being brought back (nothing new) ruins part one of the story for you? Okay then. Not the first time the people in charge have lied.

Edited by Pulsating Cheddar

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

That was actually a great episode. Sort of RTD-esque, but in a good way. Not sure how I feel about the Master being a woman, but I suppose it worked. Hopefully the next episode is better than it looked in the trailer.

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

The Cybermen get comfy chairs in the dark water. ;c

So many references this episode. =P

Awkwardly enough, I expected that the Master and Cybermen would team up in the future... just not like that. =P

Now to figure out what happens next week...  :P

EDIT: RG you derp put that in spoilers. =p

Edited by Rahkshi Guurahk

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

do you know how awkward and ironic it would be if adric came back as a cyberman. 

also, does this mean doctor/master is canon now?

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

do you know how awkward and ironic it would be if adric came back as a cyberman. 

also, does this mean doctor/master is canon now?

No, I don't think so. The Mistress wouldn't try to take over the earth if she loved him. And i'm pretty sure that the Doctor ain't gonna fall for his advesary, even if (s)he's a girl now.

Previously known as Aiwendil.

Had a looong discussion with my brother the other night as to whether the name change was necessary. I mean, taking on other identities for the purpose of disguise is part of the Master's schtick, but I'd like her to go back to "The Master" after she revealed herself. I know if I was playing The Master, I'd want her to go by her original title. My brother thinks of the word "Mistress"  and "Master"as female and male equivalents, whereas I think of "Master" as gender neutral and "Mistress" of having specific... other... connotations. 

I'm okay with The Master kissing/having a romantic interest in the Doctor and I'm okay with The Master being female, but I sorta dislike the idea that neither of these things could happen independently of the other. Oh well... I did enjoy the performance though. I love the way she switches from proper to deranged. "Doctor CHAAAAAANG!" 

Speaking of the late Doctor Chang, the way his death scene was handled was wonderfully creepy and slightly hilarious- just the way he was terrorised into saying the thing that would get him the opposite of what he wanted.

Re Cybermen needing brains- that's normally how they roll, but it seems now they can just use the consciousness attached to any human remains, in place of a physical brain. Which is scary- could they use little specks of ash from cremations? Or do they need a substantial amount of matter to establish a strong link?

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Ok, I watched the last two episodes back-to-back because I missed a week. In the Forest of the Night was awful. It was wondrous in its stupidity. From the (mostly) annoying kids, to the complete abandonment of even a pretense of scientific plausibility, to the lost sister magically coming out of the bushes...it was mind-numbing. On the other hand, I thought Dark Water was great. They did a really good job of keeping it suspenseful the whole way through, and also of making it creepier as it went along. The new Master (or Mistress, not sure which to use) gave a really good performance with the correct amount of ham, though I'm going to miss John Simm. It'll be interesting to learn what she/he has been up to since The End of Time and how she became allied with the Cybermen. I should also say that the volcano scene was very well-done, and it feels as if Clara's development all season has been building up to that. On the less positive side, I'm not sure why the Cybermen needed to be disguised in water tanks; either I missed something, it'll be explained next week, or it's a plot hole.

Ok, I watched the last two episodes back-to-back because I missed a week. In the Forest of the Night was awful. It was wondrous in its stupidity. From the (mostly) annoying kids, to the complete abandonment of even a pretense of scientific plausibility, to the lost sister magically coming out of the bushes...it was mind-numbing. On the other hand, I thought Dark Water was great. They did a really good job of keeping it suspenseful the whole way through, and also of making it creepier as it went along. The new Master (or Mistress, not sure which to use) gave a really good performance with the correct amount of ham, though I'm going to miss John Simm. It'll be interesting to learn what she/he has been up to since The End of Time and how she became allied with the Cybermen. I should also say that the volcano scene was very well-done, and it feels as if Clara's development all season has been building up to that. On the less positive side, I'm not sure why the Cybermen needed to be disguised in water tanks; either I missed something, it'll be explained next week, or it's a plot hole.

Scanty Demon was wondering about the purpose of the Dark Water in his blog too, so I'll just paste what I explained there,  with a little addition, 'cause it wasn't very clear on the first viewing but there's one or two lines in the episode that explain it and it's actually pretty brilliant, I think.

It was basically a tomb, so it's nice to be able to see your loved ones/random rich peoples' skeletons chilling on a throne, and Missy is probably the only one who really knew that they were being converted into Cybermen, or what that meant. Also skeletons are spoooooky and kept their true nature hidden even from the Doctor until they were ready, and he's basically their only real threat. The 3W is an institute to which people donate their bodies upon their deaths to be preserved and treated well. It gets government inspections (Dr. Chang asks why there's another one so soon) and has facilities all over the globe. It's safe to assume it's one of those things only very wealthy people know about, since the "truth" about the afterlife would cause some chaos if everyone knew about it. Of course, the 3W is just all a ruse and a means for the Master to get a reliable flow of unharmed bodies (and minds, which is convenient, considering all the super wealthy and government related people volunteering for it) and massive funding to build and do everything and mess with all the world's graves without drawing much suspicion, and the victims' emotions are willfully erased inside The Nethersphere from the constructed fear of cremation and guilt and other horrors while their bodies get upgraded before being redownloaded into their new Cyberman bodies. Back in Series 3, The Master spent years building a life, getting married, and launching and winning a political campaign while also setting up a nefarious worldwide cell network while also converting and amassing an army of ancient, insane humans from the future, so, everything she achieved in Dark Water is definitely not unprecedented for her :P

Scanty Demon was wondering about the purpose of the Dark Water in his blog too, so I'll just paste what I explained there,  with a little addition, 'cause it wasn't very clear on the first viewing but there's one or two lines in the episode that explain it and it's actually pretty brilliant, I think.

It was basically a tomb, so it's nice to be able to see your loved ones/random rich peoples' skeletons chilling on a throne, and Missy is probably the only one who really knew that they were being converted into Cybermen, or what that meant. Also skeletons are spoooooky and kept their true nature hidden even from the Doctor until they were ready, and he's basically their only real threat. The 3W is an institute to which people donate their bodies upon their deaths to be preserved and treated well. It gets government inspections (Dr. Chang asks why there's another one so soon) and has facilities all over the globe. It's safe to assume it's one of those things only very wealthy people know about, since the "truth" about the afterlife would cause some chaos if everyone knew about it. Of course, the 3W is just all a ruse and a means for the Master to get a reliable flow of unharmed bodies (and minds, which is convenient, considering all the super wealthy and government related people volunteering for it) and massive funding to build and do everything and mess with all the world's graves without drawing much suspicion, and the victims' emotions are willfully erased inside The Nethersphere from the constructed fear of cremation and guilt and other horrors while their bodies get upgraded before being redownloaded into their new Cyberman bodies. Back in Series 3, The Master spent years building a life, getting married, and launching and winning a political campaign while also setting up a nefarious worldwide cell network while also converting and amassing an army of ancient, insane humans from the future, so, everything she achieved in Dark Water is definitely not unprecedented for her :P

That makes sense. I actually caught most of that while watching, but managed to forget a fair bit after I finished. :P One thing that still seems slightly far-fetched to me is that I doubt most people would actually want to see their relatives'/ancestors' skeletons. But who knows, the Master can be pretty persuasive. Thanks for the detailed explanation!

But if the "you still feel stuff after you die" is a lie to persuade the living, why do they tell it to the dead? Why was there that scream? Do they inflict the illusion of unbelievable  pain onto the Nethersphere residents to simulate cremation/ dissection and prevent them from questioning the setup?

... I've just realised how messed up this stuff is for a kids' show. I mean, making kids more afraid of the dark or strange noises or statues is one thing- it's a "fun" sort of scary, but imagine being eight years old and attending a funeral- already a very sad and potentially traumatic event- and having the possibility in your mind that your dear old Gran is somewhere screaming in agony as the incinerator is activated at your family's request.

Also, it'd been bugging me for a while over who it was that Missy reminded me of, then I remembered Yzma from The Emperor's New Groove

And now the mental image of Missy wanting to turn the Doctor into a flea, and put the flea into a box, and mail the box to herself, and then SMASH IT WITH A HAMMER won't leave me alone.

The scene where Clara threw the TARDIS keys into the volcano was AWESOME.

Only to be made a dream. It was like the disappointment of Amy's Choice all over again.

The best scene of the series so far, but the ending of it should have had a different approach.

Still, the rest of the episode was decent. I had read rumours that the Master was appearing, but I forgot them xD so Missy's reveal was rather surprising.

But Danny has started to become a character now! That's good too.

index.jpg

Dark Water was amazing.

Death in Heaven was decent.

Still, IMO when together this is the best finale since 2010. Because it wasn't rushed and River wasn't shoehorned in. Gomez is my favourite Master now. Looks like Clara's left. Without dying or something trying to prevent them from returning. Glad the Gallifrey sub-plot isn't being rushed. I'm assuming Missy/The Master will return whenever we get to Gallifrey. Dark Water and DiH probably should have been broadcast alongside each other, I think they'd work better that way.

Christmas Episode looks interesting, that's all I'm going to say.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

That was lovely :D I can't wait to watch it again, so many amazing bits. Missy was horrifying, that was just cruel what she did to basically everyone in every scene. Especially poor Osgood ;~; I was so excited to see her again I was hoping she would get a chance to be a companion or something :c Brigadier bit at the end was great, so much better than the last time Moffat tried to wrap him up. That was a great finale, I put on Dark Water for my dad first so I ended up getting to watch them back to back. Gah. I'm so happy, that was really great. Had a few problems of course, but it's nothing that really bothers me so I don't really care. Clara's farewell scene was so painful. All the lies, even to the bitter end, and the Doctor "finding" Gallifrey... it made seeing him smile so much worse. I hope good ol' Saint Nick cheers him up. Can't wait for the next season :D Finally a season all Capaldi's own, no wrapping up stories originally meant for Matt Smith, and a new companion.

I don't know how I'm gonna survive the wait for Series 9 after the Christmas Special, I suppose it's finally time to catch up on all those Eighth Doctor adventures ^^

Think I'm going to jump in here... I'm going to be 30 net year so I obviously missed all the Classic Who in the 60s but enjoyed all (well most) of the revival episodes. I've now started watching all the Classic Who episodes online and am now 4 serials into season 3.

Some of them are actually pretty good, though the pacing is VERY slow with one episode actually taking the best part of a minute to depict the tying of a rope to a rock... But then there are no standalone episodes in classic Who, no individual stories. I'm currently 3 episodes into the 12 episode epic 'The Dalek's Master Plan' something made all the more painful due to the fact that 3/4 of the episodes that make up the serial are missing!

It turns out I'm not at all familiar with the original doctor, never seen his face ever that I recall until watching these episodes for the first time. His character is very different to subsequent doctors and he'll frequently say or do things that seem rather strange. This is the joy of a regenerating character though so not a flaw by any means, I am looking forward to the first regeneration though to see if there is as notable a transformation as I'm hoping there will be. Another odd character point is that the doctor spends the first season travelling with his grand-daughter... Not entirely sure if it's meant to be his ACTUAL biological grand-daughter or what but let's just say I'm glad she's not there anymore. Draaaama Queeen... She serves little purpose other than a damsel in distress for almost every episode she's in and constantly screams, runs away and gets captured.

The best characters so far were the first 'companions' Barbara and Ian who only recently departed (in my timeline at least!) and I'm actually missing them. They were more notable characters than the doctor in my opinion but perhaps that's why they had to go. Emphasis should be on the Doctor afterall, not his crew.

Anyway, I seem to be venting, has anyone else watched these Classic episodes? Or is anyone doing it now? I'd highly recommend them, although many of the historical sagas are pure drama. Not to mention fairly predictable, get split up, endure several dangers, overcome dangers, reunite, escape routine. But then even the modern episodes often follow the same route don't they?! I watch these in one of my peripheral monitors while working in another as they aren't too taxing. The missing episodes are even easier as they have no footage so it's like a radio broadcast!

Anywya, that's enough from me, dematerialising...

EDIT : Just realised I missed the series finale last night! Thank God for BBC iplayer :D

Edited by Munty

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Watched the finale, not sure how to feel about it... Lot's of stuff has just happened that seems to make very little sense to me.

Danny is dead? Just as we started to get some decent character development from him (and he and Clara as a couple) they run him over with a car. But then they spend that whole episode suggesting he's still osrt of alive, and then in the finale he's basically brought back but is considered to be 'already dead'. Then at the very end he has yet another chance to come back but sends the kid instead. Where eactly did he send the kid back from anyway? The Nethersphere was shutdown so they can't have gone back there, and that kid probably wasn't a cyberman as he wouldn't fit the hardware so how could he and Danny have ended up in the same place? Essentially when the nethersphere shutdown, all the 'images' within it were either downloaded into Cybermen or purged from the system. So that kid should have already been deleted. Otherwise, I'm onboard with Danny's moral reasoning for that choice but it still leaves him dead which is a lame end for his character... Also, has everyone on the writing team forgotten that Clara has already met her great grandson or whatever he was? He said very clearly that his grandfather used to talk all the time about travelling through time and he stated time travel 'runs in the family' But if Danny is dead and Clara is leaving the Tardis then WHO is he talking about? Plus the fact that the only way Clara and Danny will ever produce a bloodline now is if she is somehow already pregnant. Conceivable but completely glazed over by the writers. So many loose ends like always!

Another p[roblem, already mentioned, is HOW do you make cybermen from skeletons and a digital 'image' of the former individual? Where do you upload that profile if there is no brain (which seems likely to be the case as all those in Dark Water have no organs remaining) The manufacturing process would be impossible too as what do you connect the armour to? It's kind of the difference between Darth Vader and a Storm Trooper. The troopers body holds their armour wheras Vader's armour essentially holds him! The one size fits all Cyberman approach simply wouldn't work on these deteriorated corpses, especially those already buried!

Speaking of which... We've seen cyberman production lines in several previous stories so we know what's generally involved. In what universe is it possible for rain carrying the digital information of the recently deceased to locate it's previous body and then IMMEDIATELY carry out a full conversion without introducing any new tools or materials? Conservation of matter anyone? Water does not a Cyberman make... Besides, if this method was possible, how likely is it that the Master would figure it out before the Cybermen themselves???

Also about that rain... In the beginning of the episode, ONE cyberman from each city/area exploded in the sky to create this weird cloud of something or other... Anyone pick up what the cloud was? Was it natural rain clouds created by the eplosion or are we meant to believe that it was ALL debris from that one tiny cyberman explosion? Let's not forget the clouds continued to grow until they basically covered the whole world. The explosion must have created rain clouds and used them to distribute their cyber-pollen I assume but that's still just as ridiculous as any other theory. And again, how does cyber-pollen make cybermen? How did the water carrying it flow upwards??? Is the cyber-pollen some sort of nanobot which was using the water as a means of transport? Even then, how does it travel upwards INSIDE the water?!

And now the Master is dead too? I mean, you know, really dead... S/He was disintegrated by a cyber-blaster. Aint no regenerating from that. We saw the doctor regrow a hand once while still regenerating but that's quite different. Unless we're now to believe that timelords are Cell-like (Dragonball Z) lifeforms that can fully regenerate from even a single cell then that's the end of the Master for, you know, ever... A possible get-out would be to say S/He was teleported away but remember who was in the Cyber-suit that shot her? Pretty sure he'd be shooting to kill after the attempted murder of his daughter.

Pretty sure there is even more wrong with the episode than this but I'd have to watch it again to pick up more. It wasn't a bad finale if you're able to switch your brain down a few gears while watching but like most of Capaldi's other episodes it's been so far from believable I found it hard to truly enjoy. Seriously, Kill the moon? The egg hatched a creature less than half it's size which immediately laid another egg the same size as the old moon. Complete with pre-formed craters too... What kind of creature pupates for a hundred thousand years then hatches and reproduces in the space of a decade? Terrible.

Also those rain clouds again... How come blowing up one cyberman CREATED those huge clouds that covered the entire world. Yet blowing up THOUSANDS of them all over the world simultaneously caused the clouds to dissipate? It should've caused some catastrophic Nuclear, cyber-winter, not some pansy deus ex-machina get out of jail free nonsense...

Edited by Munty

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

There's so much to say about that episode, most of it has been said by others and I'm incapable of forming a coherent thought right now, so I'll just say the fact that we lost Osgood (Kate's adorable assistant) upsets me just as much as all the other sad bits.

Fairly certain, Munty, that the "cyber-pollen" is some sort of nanotech. The Doctor did say it was tiny bits and pieces of Cybermen carrying Cyberman schematics after all. Water would be the same; its not actual water, its just a mass of nanobots moving as a liquid, a sort of Grey Goo scenario. It expands as it pulls in more material from the surroundings to make more of itself, which would then form into the wiring and armour of a Cyberman shell as the nanotech turned itself into plain-ordinary-sized-tech.

Not entirely sure what the problem with creating Cybermen around skeletons is. The armour can find ways to latch onto bones just like our own muscles and fat can. Probably even better, in fact. Unlikely to tear like human ligaments and tendons are. The brain for all those Cybermen minds would probably be electronic, I'd guess even in the cases of those recently deceased enough to still have brains judging by Danny's inhibitor and connection to the CyFi and formed out of the base nanotech from the clouds just like everything else

7AOYGDJ.jpg

where did Awesome Pink come from if Danny's a Cyberman? And also, seeing as Gallifrey apparently isn't there, where is it?

Timelines can change, and surely everything that Missy did over this season wasn't part of Danny's timeline beforehand.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.