Any reason why the Karzahni Saga and Nuva were left out in the Ignition Comics?

Zidonaro

Back in 2006, comics were the only media I could access to follow the story, since they were available for free on BIONICLE.com. As a result, I only discovered YEARS LATER that the Nuva were actually sent to Voya Nui first, fought the Piraka and failed, and that Jaller and company went after them through Karzahni.

I understand having to cut content due to budget or size issues, since a comic couldn't possibly fit entire books in it. But it's such an IMPORTANT plot point, you would think they would at least mention it somewhere.

You can't fit the whole story in a limited medium like that. Same reason the movies skip a lot of story. 

• Upvote 1

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Teaser

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Comics tend to focus on whatever's selling at the moment and whatever looks the coolest; books were where Greg could really get creative and explore the story in-depth. Karzahni was the first character Greg came up with himself (as opposed to being given a set and made to fit it in somehow), so he literally couldn't have been in a comic.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I actually just read about some of this in the Greg Answers archive - primarily, the comics are advertisements for the current products, so they shy away from showcasing anything that wasn't an available set. Granted - Ignition comics do feature some wild unrelated Matoran, but books became the primary medium to use characters who weren't in the current product line. It was a major point of discussion for a while that the Toa Nuva would show up in the story without being re-released, and Lego apparently had thought briefly about if they wished to reuse the Toa Nuva or use different characters. Probably decided a redesign of the Nuva would be somewhat difficult at the time.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

On 4/1/2023 at 6:21 AM, T.B.O.C said:

I actually just read about some of this in the Greg Answers archive - primarily, the comics are advertisements for the current products, so they shy away from showcasing anything that wasn't an available set. Granted - Ignition comics do feature some wild unrelated Matoran, but books became the primary medium to use characters who weren't in the current product line. It was a major point of discussion for a while that the Toa Nuva would show up in the story without being re-released, and Lego apparently had thought briefly about if they wished to reuse the Toa Nuva or use different characters. Probably decided a redesign of the Nuva would be somewhat difficult at the time.

And yet they were brought in to give fans updated sets. Sorry for my rant but now that i remember them... i was disappointed in them.
Their color schemes didn't not fit for maybe any except Kopaka.
Pohatu was now orange and his weapons were weak and floppy.
Onua was very odd with a shield and giant weapon grip.
Gali Mistika had very bulky limbs on her arms and the two scope's didn't not fit for a swimmer.
Tahu Mistika's weapon was pathetic and the Hau mask was boring.

On 4/5/2023 at 2:43 PM, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

And yet they were brought in to give fans updated sets. Sorry for my rant but now that i remember them... i was disappointed in them.
Their color schemes didn't not fit for maybe any except Kopaka.
Pohatu was now orange and his weapons were weak and floppy.
Onua was very odd with a shield and giant weapon grip.
Gali Mistika had very bulky limbs on her arms and the two scope's didn't not fit for a swimmer.
Tahu Mistika's weapon was pathetic and the Hau mask was boring.

Oh for sure - I personally find the Phantoka passible, but the Mistika were just kind of... eh...

Sort of the issue with how BIONICLE design worked - sets were made with minor input from the story team, and otherwise had to be wrangled into the story. So, all in all, you ended up with a lot of the intersecting toyline concerns overriding concepts from the story (such as Pohatu's orange armoring, as they had switched from brown to yellow/orange in an attempt to boost sales). This was also as the design team was centralizing around the Inika builds from previous years. I'm intrigued by the switch - as 2007 managed to have several builds go far more custom designs - even the Mahri, to an extent. A lot of that was dropped into the Phantoka and Mistika designs, which really sucked.

Not that they were entirely bad. I sort of like the degree of silver elements we got, and you'll often see people incorporate some of the unwieldy parts in fun ways (example that comes to mind are the jetpack pieces forming a bulk of Alternate Teridax's warhammer). Trinuma, ironically, feels more like what regular Toa sets should have been like. I prefer his design to literally all of the three Toa Mistika.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!