Lego’s giants sets and prices

Lenny7092

Hi, guys. Ever since Hero Factory got brutally cancelled in 2014, there are a lot of Lego sets that are large, as they range from 2,000 to 8,000 pieces. Plus, there are jacked-up prices. Back in 2001, each Toa Mata set costed $5, but now, anywhere that size costs $15. Bionicle G2 had small sets where each costed $10. Could you believe it? It’s crazy. 

Lego should really decrease the prices and perhaps the size range of sets. I saw a lot of people complaining about it. It would be no wonder why some Lego themes lasted shortly and why The Lego Movie 2 didn’t make as much money as The Lego Movie 1. For me, I wouldn’t buy any sets if they keep having overwhelmingly high prices. If Bionicle were to come back for the second time (as in a G3 or a return of G1 or G2), I hope for much smaller prices if I want to get the new sets.

Edited by Lenny7092
Spelling mistake fixed.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

On 5/17/2023 at 5:30 AM, Lenny7092 said:

Hi, guys. Ever since Hero Factory got brutally cancelled in 2014, there are a lot of Lego sets that are large, as they range from 2,000 to 8,000 pieces. Plus, there are jacked-up prices. Back in 2001, each Toa Mata set costed $5, but now, anywhere thar size costs $15. Bionicle G2 had small sets where each costed $10. Could you believe it? It’s crazy. 

On the one hand it's inflation, the dollar used to be worth more than it is today, on the other hand the Protectors and creatures actually have more parts than the Toa Mata or Bohrok, albeit smaller ones.

On 5/17/2023 at 5:30 AM, Lenny7092 said:

Lego should really decrease the prices and perhaps the size range of sets.

I agree with you. I think the prices were one of the main problems of the reboot. Most sets were just too big and therefore too expensive for the average customer. I think this was particularly bad with the uniters where they were designed so that you should pair them up with their creatures and therefore spend another 10 dollars again to complete the toa. But it always had that side effect of feeling like you were buying an incomplete set if you only owned one of the two. 

You guys said inflation. I agree. Inflation really needs to stop.

I am not sure if this is because of the Lego Movie franchise having made less money in 2017-2019 (the series stopped in 2019), but there aren’t going to be more Lego Movie films any time soon. Inflation wouldn’t be a good way of re-continuing it.

1 minute ago, confused piraka said:

how?

I don’t know. Just do petitions to make Lego decrease the prices. Or, if Lego doesn’t find any benefit of doing the inflation. It could be driving customers away.

Edited by Lenny7092
Forgot some things.

I don't think you understand how inflation works... 

• Upvote 2

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately, the thing about inflation is that it’s not something Lego just decides to do or not do. Lego isn’t going to lower their prices just because we ask them nicely to.

Lego will do whatever the market rewards them for doing. I already rarely buy new Lego sets, and it’s only small purchases now when I do, so I assume that enough new blood is picking up the Lego happen to keep them profitable. But, and I hate to admit it, Lego is the least of my inflation-related worries today.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

When looking at Lego's current line up I find that it is no more expensive and perhaps cheaper than it was in the past. For example I compared the Trolls Mountain Fortress that I got for Christmas in 2009 which cost £75 at the time. In today's money that apparently translates to a whopping £113.79. Compare that to the recent Lego Dreamzzz line, a theme I could definitely have seen myself being into as a kid. Mr Oz's space bus contains a similar number of pieces and is cheaper when accounting for inflation. So what's happened? Answer is that we're all just a lot poorer than we used to be. Wages haven't risen significantly since the 2008 financial crash. Only recently have wage rises begun but the lack of a rise between 2008 and today means we've all just lost too much money to keep up. I myself am selling off my old Lego and am frankly amazed that it sells at all. 

It's time to move on.