Christian Faber Starts 'Faber Files'

I would have liked Mr. Faber to comment on the video a bit more. It's nice that the Advance people are coming out of the dark and telling us about Bionicle concepts, however. As I recall, the Water is for Wimps thing was released as wallpaper; I encountered it when hunting through the Bionicle wallpaper stack for another project.

The 'Water is for Wimps' poster has to be one of the best Bionicle art pieces I have ever seen. There are no flaws with it whatsoever!And that video...seeing all those animations again...it brings back so many good memories that I had with the Bionicle line. (And I've never seen that huge truck with the Toa Mahri images on it before. :blink: It really looked cool.)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I really, really want to see this, but at the moment I just get a blank page when trying to access the blog. Hopefully that fixes itself soon, because I'm a sucker for concept art.

It may take a while to load. What browser do you use?The villages turned out better in the end. Water is for Wimps is great, but forunately we already knew it. :PAs far as the tribute to the BIONICLE community and BZPower goes, we are the ones to thank you, Mr. Faber. :) Are Metru Nui and Voya Nui really so tiny compared to the island of Mata Nui? Great how you can see the body of the Great Spirit lying beneath the surface. Impressive.-Gata signoff.jpg Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

It may take a while to load. What browser do you use?

Tried all of them in turn. :P But never mind, it works now. I was probably just unlucky with the server or something.Now that I've looked through the blog, I can say that I found the concept of "Three Finger Island" pretty intriguing. Judging by how visible it is from shore, the Mata Nui robot appeared to either have been smaller at first, or it's another case of scale trouble.I'm glad they skipped Cybots, by the way. :P

It is nice to know that Faber and Greg listened to the fans so much. That is why I love Bionicle so much.I think that the three finger islands might have been an early concept of Voya Nui, judging by its position next to an opening to the robot underneath.

Edited by J46 Nui

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

He has 20 posts and says he's just starting.This'll be great.

Personally, I hope to see lots of concept art for the later years, especially the Metru Nui arch. Advance and Faber have been very generous as far as 2001 and pre-2001 concept art goes, but we´ve never seen much for Metru Nui (especially 2005) or the Ignition years.-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I FINALLY get how and where each island shown in the newest entry is placed! At first, I didn't know WHERE in the Robot was Karda Nui (that was a little obvious, though) OR Voya Nui/Mahri Nui!Thanks, Faber!EDIT: I couldn't picture how the Robot was on Bara Magna, but now I can with this!:D

Edited by Pantera

Led Zeppelin?

Yes. :P

The Vulcanus arena concept looks great. I have the impression the art quality has improved over the years, and it makes me wonder why this wasn´t released as a desktop background or a poster on BIONICLE.com. Are there similar concept pictures for other villages? I certainly hope so. :rolleyes: The arena looks better here than it did in the movie, mainly because of the great lighting in the picture as opposed to the barely visible night sky in the movie.-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I just looked through everything here so far and it is awesome. Especially loved to hear that Rock Raiders and Bionicle were both inspired by the same thing -- two of my favorite lines ever. I wonder if this means Makuta and the Rock Monsters were taken from the same inspiration, loosely? Also two of my fave enemies ever.I was especially fascinated to hear one particular idea which seemingly coincidentally is similar to a fanfic secret I've been planning. :P Weird.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Alright, seeing all these images related to the first eight years of Bionicle reminded me of something. Greg F said a while back that after 2007, the original plan for the line was for Jaller and the Toa Mahri to journey to Karda Nui and finish their mission in 2008, and Toa Nuva to star in a "hunt for the Great Beings" arc starting in 2009. What I'd like to know is if Faber has any concept art relating to these scrapped storylines.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

@Gata: Yes, that Vulcanus concept looks terrific. It looks more realistic, however, and TLR was a bit more cartoony - they probably didn't want to mess up the vibe. I have trouble imagining the CGI animated characters in said movie working with such a backdrop, and they probably didn't want to release too much art with conflicting aesthetics.@Zarkan: He probably does; there's some connections in that BZP tribute image, I think.Edit: *examines 2001-08 image* Wow, Metru Nui is that small? And I think I know why the power plant concept was scrapped...too obvious.

Edited by fishers64

I just looked through everything here so far and it is awesome. Especially loved to hear that Rock Raiders and Bionicle were both inspired by the same thing -- two of my favorite lines ever. I wonder if this means Makuta and the Rock Monsters were taken from the same inspiration, loosely? Also two of my fave enemies ever.

Don't forget the Vatuka, which is basically a classic Rock Monster. And there were lots of Rocker Raiders-esque energy crystals in 2001 media, particularly video games—we had lightstones, heatstones, those Vuata Maca crystals. It actually doesn't surprise me that there was a connection early on.Also:moli2.jpgIt blows my mind to think that this symbol from the MNOLG and Toa CD probably represents Mata Nui laying across a planet. I always visualized it as him holding a circle open, but this image reveals that the circle is actually a sphere. I can't handle this.And another interesting detail that I discovered a few years back, when we were still theorizing about these things: "Mangai" is Maori for mouth, and "Ihu" is Maori for nose. I love that they left those hints for us, even if they weren't able to use Maori names after that first year. Edited by Wrinkledlion X

@Zarkan: He probably does; there's some connections in that BZP tribute image, I think.

Yeah, now that I look at it all closely, the map pretty much confirms that the Mahri would have all headed through the "vortex," not just Matoro. Beyond that.... well, there is a clue in the 2001-2008 concept video. One of the pieces of artwork featured (the one detailing the Mata Nui robot folding up into a ball) has text in the lower corner that mentions "Bara Nui." However, judging by how finalized the robot design is and how it mentions Mata Nui assembling the prototype robot, I think its probably a much more recent piece of art. What I'm really curious about is whether any of the Toa Nuva's journey while searching for the Great Beings was planned out before it was scrapped, and if so, if "Bara Nui" was 2009's location even at that early of a stage.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

This Glatorian Arena concept drawing is probably the coolest thing we've ever gotten out of the Bara Magna storyline of Bionicle. :PI'm joking. This is a really cool drawing though. The arena looks a lot better here than it did in the 09 movie.

pc0lX6T.png

And we have another good-looking update. I´ve never seen those Cell Trees before but the Bone Tree looks a lot like the tree Le-Koro is built on in MNOG. The concept of the Light Flowers communicating with binary code is brilliant and would have been perfectly matching the anachronisms of the first year. :DAlthough this concept is from 1999, Lewa looks surprisingly finalized...Thank you very much for this update, Mr. Faber! Please keep them coming. :)-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Like Gata said, these plants should have been. The Cell Trees would be an amazing plot device for battles, Matoran could have used the sticky substance to make different tools, etc.Also, the Light flowers seem pretty interesting, considering they would communicate. It also reminds me of the plants Takua pretended were bunny ears in MoL.

I think the reason the plants and animals in that concept didn't get used is because they wanted the plants to more consistently resemble real-world plants so you got a genuine "tropical island" feel, and they wanted the animals to look buildable whenever possible. While it did bother me a bit that the plants in BIONICLE weren't biomechanical like the animal life, I like the look that they gave the various locations, and even those plants in that concept wouldn't have seemed to quite fit in with the BIONICLE sets IMO.

Yay for another update! http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.pngIt really would've been cool if the Cell Trees and Bone Trees would've been used in the story. I wonder if the Light Flower was a kind of 'prototype' for the Light Vines later seen in Karda Nui. That would be really neat if they were.

pc0lX6T.png

Although this concept is from 1999, Lewa looks surprisingly finalized...

Which post are you talking about here? I'm lost.
He's commenting on a drawing of Lewa that is in the artwork with the Cell Trees and Bone Trees. You can see him in the northeast section of the concept art.

pc0lX6T.png

While it did bother me a bit that the plants in BIONICLE weren't biomechanical like the animal life

I think they did have at least one in a GBA game, which is apparently canon as a rare species.Anywho neat new image. It's hilariously ironic that the bone trees are very similar to another thing I'm planning in fanfics. I'm thinking of a particular figure of speech lol.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 3 weeks later...

Christian Faber is a great guy for releasing all these interesting and awesome concepts. It's great to see what went on backstage in the making of the BIONICLE franchise.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Ahh...good old Exo-Force. More people care about it than I thought.

Oh, definitely. I loved Exo Force! It was probably my next favorite theme after Bionicle, with those awesome robots, nice recolored Technic parts . . .~B~

Wow! nobody's commented on that poster witht he whale that faber said he's been planning for 6 years.THAT looks cool. It'd be like bionicle, but different. wow.

I don't know. I saw it and immediately thought, "Cybernetically/genetically-altered whales battle evil, nature-destroying corporate machines!". LOL. Not really. But I do see this going in some ecologically-retro, 90s-style "Captain Planet" vein of conflict. But I will Mr. Faber surprise me.
Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"

Lots of new pieces of concept art since I last posted here, one more impressive than the other. I love the Metru Nui concepts, all the posters and the beauty of the classic BIONICLE logo. I hope to see some HF concept art soon, too! :) Thank you very much for everything and keep them coming, Mr. Faber! :)-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png