How Big Was Voya Nui And The Hole It Left?

I've read that Voya Nui took up a large part of the Southern Continent, and I'm not sure how accurate that is. It did not have many Matoran living on it, but I know that continent was sparsely populated anyway. But still, I think if it was that big the Matoran Karzahni sent there would have not been so isolated. Also, wouldn't the hole made by a large chunk of a continent have caused much more flooding than what the waterfall depicted? I think that would cause flooding to fill Karda Nui much sooner than in a thousand years, and maybe the rest of the Matoran Universe too. The rest of the continent at least would be dominated by a massive downpour hundreds of miles across. So is it really that big and was the Southern Continent and the dome-sky over it really that messed up, or was it a smaller region with a proportionally smaller disaster when it shot to the surface?

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

This was brought up in this topic, but it's kind of a thing to wade through; I'll try to summarize.

On Voya Nui:Here’s what I think the area looked like when Voya Nui was gone…6785660652_58ac9292c4.jpgAs you can see, core hole does not equal island area. If this contingency point is true (and I don’t see why not) then Voya Nui makes sense. This hypothetical core breech would be smack below Mount Valmai.

This is especially obvious with Voya Nui -- if it was that huge, its rocketing through the ceiling of the continent's dome would utterly destroy nearly the entire front of the giant robot's torso, and the hole it ripped would be so huge the Matoran Universe would basically instantly flood. The other images we've seen of a relatively tiny hole with a narrow waterfall coming through it I take as the only canon ones, implying Voya Nui must be very, very tiny, even for an island. Nowhere near as big as Mata Nui Island, for example. Its flying up through the ceiling would be more like a mosquito bite to us, contrasted with the map's depiction which would be more like a cannonball.

So yes, definitely smaller island, possibly smaller island gap. There was a theory in that topic that Voya hit the roof at an angle, causing less damage to the roof (smaller hole). The smaller island was even semi-confirmed by Christian Faber's concept drawings :).

Well, the Island of Mata Nui was about the size of Maine, and Metru Nui was 7.5 times less tall (about 55 times smaller.) In Faber's drawing, Voya Nui is about the size of Le-Metru, or 1/8 of Metru Nui.

Has following the story become too complex? Look no further:

How to Follow BIONICLE

A Simple, chronological checklist

UPDATE May 22 2013: Every is now color coded!

Contains every bit of content, organized by story year

That's a good point about how the hole Voya Nui left in the roof of Karda Nui is not the same as the one it left in the Southern Continent. But if it the hole in Karda Nui was much smaller, the water would get backed up and start to flood the rest of the universe. This would only be a big deal if the hole to the ocean was really big, however.So the picture of the Matoran universe that depicts Voya Nui as about half of the continent is wrong? I'm not sure if Christian Faber's drawings show the official size, as they are concept art, but that size does make more sense. Also, this just gave me another question. Where is the Pit? I think it's above the sky dome of the Southern Continent, right under Mata Nui's outer layer, but I'm not sure.

My Blog

My Story Collection

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

Where is the Pit? I think it's above the sky dome of the Southern Continent, right under Mata Nui's outer layer, but I'm not sure.

From what I can make of it, the actual Pit was an entire dome, so you're right about its placement. During the Great Cataclysm, the dome cracked and Pit Mutagen flooded it, which means that Mata Nui's body cracked (I'd assume that it's a small crack; I should probably create a map to show all of the Great Cataclysm damage someday). That means that all of the prisoners went out of the robot and into Aqua Magna's ocean.That means that we can conclude that all domes are pretty close to Mata Nui's outer layer, because the Barraki were able to swim down into the old Pit and consequently into the Mata Nui robot. Also, I realize that this isn't related, but from that we can also say that the Zyglak had probably already infested the Pit before the Great Cataclysm, but they could have come from the Souther Continent, I guess, so I guess the Pit's security wasn't all that it was claimed to be.

@The Iron Toa:Yes, this image and similar are probably not accurate. As for the Pit, you are correct - it is a gap in Mata Nui's outer shell, something like this:

(before the Great Cataclysm):6931776441_1227a55eee.jpgAfter the Great Cataclysm:6931776407_da8dbdcff4.jpg

@Infared: Pit prisoners could not swim into the Mata Nui robot from the Pit, otherwise don't you think they would have? Zyglak? What evidence do we have that Zyglak were in there? I'm confused. Edited by fishers64

Thanks. There were Zyglak in the pit. There was probably a way back into the Matoran Universe through there, but it would be sealed and/or guarded by Zyglak. If it was open, I expect there would be another waterfall.It seems ironic to me that a place called the Pit would be above the sky of the rest of the universe. It's a good place to put it, though, because if the prisoners manage to get out, there are only two places to go -- the outside the robot, which is likely to be in space or underwater, and the sky above the Southern Continent.

My Blog

My Story Collection

Brickshelf Gallery

Where do we see Zyglak in the pit? I mean the actual prison. Just because there were a bunch of them in the cord between Voya Nui and Mahri Nui doesn't mean that they came from the Pit Prison. They could have been on Voya Nui and migrated down there later; in fact this is supported by the fact that said Zyglak do not breathe water. What evidence do we have, if they are there, that there was a hole in the Pit that led to the main universe to let them in? Couldn't they have been imprisoned there by the Order or placed in that cavity by the Great Beings?And there wasn't a second waterfall. There was not a way in there from there to the Robot; Botar is the one delievering prisoners there, and he does so by teleportation, not by any actual entrance.

Oh, good point about Botar. And if any of the guards needed to leave for some reason, he could be called on to get them out. So there's no reason for an actual door to anywhere else, you're right.As for the Zyglak, this comic shows they moved into the Pit after it broke open. BS01 also says they are amphibious and immune to the Pit Mutagen.So, Voya Nui was much smaller than that Matoran Universe map shows. That was my original question, so thanks guys. Am I supposed to have this topic closed now?

My Blog

My Story Collection

Brickshelf Gallery

Oh, good point about Botar. And if any of the guards needed to leave for some reason, he could be called on to get them out. So there's no reason for an actual door to anywhere else, you're right.As for the Zyglak, this comic shows they moved into the Pit after it broke open. BS01 also says they are amphibious and immune to the Pit Mutagen.So, Voya Nui was much smaller than that Matoran Universe map shows. That was my original question, so thanks guys. Am I supposed to have this topic closed now?

I'll take that as a starter request to close. Glad we could help (and thanks to fishers to quoting what I would have said so I didn't have to :P), and question answered, topic closed. ^_^

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)